ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2022 Draft Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#381 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm

Indeed wrote:

Get Patrick Baldwin out of the lottery!

Blake Wesley over Kendal Brown?!?!? :reporter: I'd give Max Christie a better shot as a prospect being 6'7 instead of 6'5.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#382 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Get Patrick Baldwin out of the lottery!

Blake Wesley over Kendal Brown?!?!? :reporter: I'd give Max Christie a better shot as a prospect being 6'7 instead of 6'5.

To be fair, Blake Wesley has been rising up from other boards that I read.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#383 » by aligator » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:28 pm

Having seen these players a few times. I would suggest that Blake Wesley is a far better prospects than Max Christie. It's not all about measurements. You have to ne able to play and Wesley does that superbly.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#384 » by Ell Curry » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 pm

If anyone is bored with so little an NBA schedule, the guys in our draft range tonight are Agbaji on Kansas, Keels, Griffin, Wendel Moore and Mark Williams on Duke, Kennedy Chandler (tiny guard not a shooter though seems unlikely) and then a whole lot of guys who are interesting as undrafted types or if we get a 2nd rounder at the deadline.
Where's the D?
Psubs
RealGM

Post#385 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm

aligator wrote:Having seen these players a few times. I would suggest that Blake Wesley is a far better prospects than Max Christie. It's not all about measurements. You have to ne able to play and Wesley does that superbly.

I guess but at 6'4-6'5 SG you need to be either really good at shooting or really athletic or a superb playmaker or a lockdown defender to stick in the league because at that size there are so many prospects around the world.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#386 » by Ell Curry » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 pm

aligator wrote:Having seen these players a few times. I would suggest that Blake Wesley is a far better prospects than Max Christie. It's not all about measurements. You have to ne able to play and Wesley does that superbly.

31% from 3 and a bad A/TO of like 1.05

I don't think he's a Masai first at that size.

Keels has similar stats but doesn't turn it over, 50% more steals and he's got the strength to play our style of rotating D and guard bigger dudes. His shot is flat, though, and Wesley projects as a better shooter.

But yeah can't see us taking him 20th with that stat line. Maybe if we trade down for 2 picks from like Memphis or Orlando or get a 2nd in a deal, we obviously need a bench scoring guard.
Where's the D?
C-R-E-A-M-
Senior
And1: 790

Post#387 » by C-R-E-A-M- » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:14 am

Read on Twitter

classic masai pick
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#388 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 am

If we need a 6'5" shooting guard that is athletic and create offense we do have Jalen Harris still. I have been keeping an eye on Procida and found Harris in the same league - doing decent actually. Much better than Malachi at least. This game he scored 22 pts against Procida's team.

Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#389 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 am

Kevin Willis wrote:If we need a 6'5" shooting guard that is athletic and create offense we do have Jalen Harris still. I have been keeping an eye on Procida and found Harris in the same league - doing decent actually. Much better than Malachi at least. This game he scored 22 pts against Procida's team.

That's what I'm saying. He's running the offense too out there.

Never forget @1:00

Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#390 » by Ell Curry » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:25 am

Watched Duke. Banchero played well, Williams looked a tad limited and Florida State got 2 big late layups going right at him, Moore looks like an NBA bench player for good and ill and Griffin looks like he should be picked well before we get up to the podium and has replaced Keels (whose shot looked flat and ugly last time I saw them, sadly, as he plays hard and is crazy strong for a guard) as the main perimeter guy outside of all the inexplicable Jeremy Roach stuff he gets to do because he's the PG and Coach K seems to like him a hell of a lot more than I do.

Florida State has a 7'1, skinny as Chet Holmgren kid named John Butler who seems quite skilled. No idea what year he'll come out or if he can put on the 30 pounds he'll need to, but interesting long-term prospect.
Where's the D?
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#391 » by Madhouse » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 am

Brown has been struggling so this could push into our range again.

Eason is not good from 3 and older.

Griffin won’t be in our range.

2 most interesting players who are attainable to me are TyTy and Brown.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#392 » by PoundTown » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Ell Curry wrote:If anyone is bored with so little an NBA schedule, the guys in our draft range tonight are Agbaji on Kansas, Keels, Griffin, Wendel Moore and Mark Williams on Duke, Kennedy Chandler (tiny guard not a shooter though seems unlikely) and then a whole lot of guys who are interesting as undrafted types or if we get a 2nd rounder at the deadline.

If we pick in the high teens or later, Agbaji is on my radar. 2 way player with solid athleticism that is a superb spot up shooter. I think there is potential there to get to some off dribble work and do a lot of the things Gary currently does for us. But, if we can get this guy open shots off the catch, he can flat out knock them down, and could be a guy that if we can continue to shape the roster like we are, can be a secondary ball handler to trott out there with a few 6'9" point guard, point forwards or whatever you want to call them. Like him as a very solid bench piece / shot taker and maker.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#393 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Madhouse wrote:Brown has been struggling so this could push into our range again.

Kendall Brown is looking like a glue guy but isn't getting a lot of steals or blocks. Like a more athletic Patrick McCaw. :D

I think he's sacrificing to win, but it may be enough to drop him to the late teens. It may not be until he's 25+ when he develops his offensive game but that's okay.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#394 » by PoundTown » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm

Psubs wrote:
Madhouse wrote:Brown has been struggling so this could push into our range again.

Kendall Brown is looking like a glue guy but isn't getting a lot of steals or blocks. Like a more athletic Patrick McCaw. :D

I think he's sacrificing to win, but it may be enough to drop him to the late teens. It may not be until he's 25+ when he develops his offensive game but that's okay.

Develop this dudes shot and he could be very good. I see a little bit of the wiryness, length, defensive ability of a Josh Howard. Would be another nice fit in our flailing arm inflatable tube man line up. He can guard 1 - 4 in my opinion. I think the base and mechanics are there for a good jumper. He is in a better spot with his jumper than Scottie was at this point in my opinion.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#395 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Psubs wrote:

I guess but at 6'4-6'5 SG you need to be either really good at shooting or really athletic or a superb playmaker or a lockdown defender to stick in the league because at that size there are so many prospects around the world.

I have Beauchamp in the mix (a year older).

But the question is, what type of player we need. I personally hope a VanVleet backup (or replacement if we cannot re-sign him). Elite shooter with defense?
Psubs
RealGM

Post#396 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:23 pm

PoundTown wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:If anyone is bored with so little an NBA schedule, the guys in our draft range tonight are Agbaji on Kansas, Keels, Griffin, Wendel Moore and Mark Williams on Duke, Kennedy Chandler (tiny guard not a shooter though seems unlikely) and then a whole lot of guys who are interesting as undrafted types or if we get a 2nd rounder at the deadline.

If we pick in the high teens or later, Agbaji is on my radar. 2 way player with solid athleticism that is a superb spot up shooter. I think there is potential there to get to some off dribble work and do a lot of the things Gary currently does for us. But, if we can get this guy open shots off the catch, he can flat out knock them down, and could be a guy that if we can continue to shape the roster like we are, can be a secondary ball handler to trott out there with a few 6'9" point guard, point forwards or whatever you want to call them. Like him as a very solid bench piece / shot taker and maker.

It's been 1 year of great shooting and with at best 70% FT shooting. Will his shooting translate to NBA distance?

As a senior guard with an A/T of 1 is unacceptable.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#397 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm

PoundTown wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Develop this dudes shot and he could be very good. I see a little bit of the wiryness, length, defensive ability of a Josh Howard. Would be another nice fit in our flailing arm inflatable tube man line up. He can guard 1 - 4 in my opinion. I think the base and mechanics are there for a good jumper. He is in a better spot with his jumper than Scottie was at this point in my opinion.

Josh Howard with elite hops. Getting to the NBA he'll have to spend at least 2 full stints with the 905 so he can just shoot and score as much as possible.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#398 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:

But the question is, what type of player we need. I personally hope a VanVleet backup (or replacement if we cannot re-sign him). Elite shooter with defense?

Beauchamp reminds me of RHJ.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#399 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:00 pm

Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Beauchamp reminds me of RHJ.

I am not sure Beauchamp is a lock down defender, but it seems his mid-range jumper and 3 pointing would be much better than RHJ.
His strength to me is his passing / playmaking.

Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#400 » by Ell Curry » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:05 pm

PoundTown wrote:

It's easy to see him as an NBA 2 guard, but he's only 14 months older than Trent and seems similarly allergic to passing. Terrible steals rate too.

I don't see Masai taking him at #20 over someone 3 years younger like Christie, Keels, Dyson or Sochan, as he just has to believe in one of them becoming a good shooter. Or maybe not even a guy a year younger in Champagnie who gets steals at over 2x the rate, blocks over 4x, more assist, more rebounds and is still shooting 40% on fairly high volume of 3s.

Agbaji looks decent when I watch him, but his numbers are scary. Doesn't do much apart from shoot, and his FT% numbers are genuinely ugly until this year, when they're still kinda bad, and those are apparently more predictive of shooting overall from 3 in the NBA because of the larger sample size.

I'd be surprised if we pick him based on what Masai does generally. Feels like a guy other teams will want in the mid to late 20s and we'll have in the 40s on our board.
Where's the D?

Return to Toronto Raptors