ImageImageImageImageImage

Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold

Moderators: 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, gojoorange

bargs4mvp
Rookie
Posts: 1,231
And1: 688
Joined: Jan 12, 2009

Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#321 » by bargs4mvp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm

I’ll be driving 50 min from my house and be sitting with 70000 in Buffalo Saturday night.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 12,574
And1: 19,774
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#322 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:32 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
What does this mean to someone who has their children in schools, where they've agreed to stop confirming positives, contact tracing, PCR testing?

Yeah I can't speak on that as I dont have any children but I can see where its more difficult to be safe with less reporting now. Kids have been hit very hard during all of this and I'm a big believer in mental health/social growth so you have to balance all of it. Right now the new variant is becoming less pathogenic and less serious in terms of the illness that it causes. Based on this I think Ontario wanted to move away from the reporting rightly or wrongly.. I do think it was bound to happen based on this omicron. If there comes a new variant that's as strong as Delta (lets hope not) then they likely go back to their previous process.


In terms of objective criteria - e.g. suicide attempts - the research has been showing that closing schools/online learning hasn't been too bad for kids. Suicide rates have dropped or remained stable. School can be very stressful.

Back to physical exercise, there's no comparison between "being active" and a 90 minute hockey or dance practice. That's why HIIT (high intensity interval training) is so much better than basic cardio, especially Zone 1/low Zone 2 exercise.

Where are we on the curve right now? Wastewater reports indicate that omicron in Ontario has crested, but that's with a lockdown. Would it shoot back up if we opened up? Probably. So ... what do we do?

I still hold fast to the position that vaccination reduces the symptoms, even of Omicron. And yes, it mildly reduces the spread, so to that extent, vaccine mandates still make sense. So vaccinate the teachers and the under 12s, and LFG! Of course, Ford's not gonna do that. So we're back to what Panda said above - these conversations are pointless and go nowhere.


We dont know the mental affects yet for children. We have to always look years down the road and how less socializing and in class learning will impact them.
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 12,574
And1: 19,774
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#323 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:38 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Yeah I can't speak on that as I dont have any children but I can see where its more difficult to be safe with less reporting now. Kids have been hit very hard during all of this and I'm a big believer in mental health/social growth so you have to balance all of it. Right now the new variant is becoming less pathogenic and less serious in terms of the illness that it causes. Based on this I think Ontario wanted to move away from the reporting rightly or wrongly.. I do think it was bound to happen based on this omicron. If there comes a new variant that's as strong as Delta (lets hope not) then they likely go back to their previous process.


I think the overall complicating factor is that we don't know yet if there's such a thing as long covid with Omicron, so negligently exposing our future generation to it seems like a bad play. Much like, we don't actually know if missing a month of in school is going to manifest in future monsters, or whatever people are concerned about.

If you're concerned about mental health/social growth the prospect of going back to school at peak covid is stressing out students, too. The solution is to provide flexible options, and act out of caution, not wishful thinking.


There has to be a balanced approach. There’s arguments from both sides but I dont think people can just say kids are fine learning from home. Its been 2 years and they need to be in school for their mental growth. Ford’s misstep is not giving the teachers and students the best possible classroom environment during this.
User avatar
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 6,946
Joined: Feb 08, 2014

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#324 » by refshateRaps » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:People that say the vaccine doesn't work should be forced to repeat school, all grades, JK vto 12, and at normal speed.



People who want to force this waning therapy on the overall population should be forced to repeat school & focus on basic statistics, all grades, JK to 12.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 34,376
And1: 34,536
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#325 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:59 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:People that say the vaccine doesn't work should be forced to repeat school, all grades, JK vto 12, and at normal speed.



People who want to force this waning therapy on the overall population should be forced to repeat school & focus on basic statistics, all grades, JK to 12.


Great. You find me that person who said they want to force vaccines on everyone and we can send them with. Or you could just try to imply I did.

And by the way, functions and relations/statistics was grade 13 math for me. I sure lots of people didn't bother to take that class.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
Posts: 33,039
And1: 16,645
Joined: Apr 28, 2008

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#326 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:00 pm

Kids are all different, so some thrive, some shrivel up. There's a lot we don't know, but public health decisions should be made on data analysis from experts and not polling numbers. The province rejected their advisory committee's suggestion to close schools a week before the Christmas break (you know, the week they watch movies and come to class in pyjamas) and a week after Christmas break to lessen the spike of Omicron. They intended to go back after the two weeks, and then reversed course because, you know, they let it get out of control. It's still out of control, but flattening just a smidge. Their own "top doc" says we're weeks from peaking, though.

For all the complaining I hear from parents about mental health strain from their kids learning from home, I also know that 99% of my kid's school have their own cell phones despite a link between cell phone usage and increasing mental health issues. It's hard for me to see this as largely a genuine concern and not some people lobbying for a convenient or perhaps self-interested goal.
User avatar
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 6,946
Joined: Feb 08, 2014

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#327 » by refshateRaps » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:25 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:People that say the vaccine doesn't work should be forced to repeat school, all grades, JK vto 12, and at normal speed.



People who want to force this waning therapy on the overall population should be forced to repeat school & focus on basic statistics, all grades, JK to 12.


Great. You find me that person who said they want to force vaccines on everyone and we can send them with. Or you could just try to imply I did.

And by the way, functions and relations/statistics was grade 13 math for me. I sure lots of people didn't bother to take that class.


As I said 'people who want to force' . I didn't say you, glad to know you dont.

I just took your statement & related it to the people, politicians, 'experts' who are.

Although simply saying it 'works' when most have been lied to about what it actually does, how long it lasts & who actually needs it is vague. We also really need to educate people in school on powers of Politicians, Big Corporations & the Media from JK to 12
Image
User avatar
Hero_Panda
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 3,102
Joined: Oct 15, 2015
Location: SHINE ON!
   

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#328 » by Hero_Panda » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:34 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
We dont know the mental affects yet for children. We have to always look years down the road and how less socializing and in class learning will impact them.


We don't need to wait.
There are evolutionary biologists like Bret Weinstein who have done studies on what kind of effects lockdowns and mask mandates have on children, and the likely impact down the road. Check out the Darkhorse for their take on this.
"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened."-Montaigne
"at the Fed level, I'm a libertarian; state level, Republican; local level, Democrat; family and friends level, a socialist."-G & V Graham
User avatar
Hero_Panda
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 3,102
Joined: Oct 15, 2015
Location: SHINE ON!
   

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#329 » by Hero_Panda » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
For all the complaining I hear from parents about mental health strain from their kids learning from home, I also know that 99% of my kid's school have their own cell phones despite a link between cell phone usage and increasing mental health issues. It's hard for me to see this as largely a genuine concern and not some people lobbying for a convenient or perhaps self-interested goal.


Cell phone usage with children is another topic altogether and I would also like more people to be aware about how cell phone usage combined with social media has had a very negative affect on children, especially young girls. Jonathan Haidt does a very good analysis on this.

Overall, this generation is completely effing up future generations with the way things are going and these lockdowns aren't helping.
"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened."-Montaigne
"at the Fed level, I'm a libertarian; state level, Republican; local level, Democrat; family and friends level, a socialist."-G & V Graham
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 12,574
And1: 19,774
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#330 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Hero_Panda wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
We dont know the mental affects yet for children. We have to always look years down the road and how less socializing and in class learning will impact them.


We don't need to wait.
There are evolutionary biologists like Bret Weinstein who have done studies on what kind of effects lockdowns and mask mandates have on children, and the likely impact down the road. Check out the Darkhorse for their take on this.


I know these already. And I've studied quite a bit on mental health in the past already. Definitely is not good.
My whole thing is there's got to be a better school environment from the government in order to grind through this.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 34,376
And1: 34,536
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Breaking News: MLSE allowing 1k fans but with no tickets sold 

Post#331 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

People who want to force this waning therapy on the overall population should be forced to repeat school & focus on basic statistics, all grades, JK to 12.


Great. You find me that person who said they want to force vaccines on everyone and we can send them with. Or you could just try to imply I did.

And by the way, functions and relations/statistics was grade 13 math for me. I sure lots of people didn't bother to take that class.


As I said 'people who want to force' . I didn't say you, glad to know you dont.

I just took your statement & related it to the people, politicians, 'experts' who are.

Although simply saying it 'works' when most have been lied to about what it actually does, how long it lasts & who actually needs it is vague. We also really need to educate people in school on powers of Politicians, Big Corporations & the Media from JK to 12



It lets you get sick, die, have symptoms, be hospitalized at a far lower rate. If you or anyone else thought it was supposed to be 100% everything even as it mutates, that’s on them.

Return to Toronto Raptors