ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 456

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2 

Post#201 » by youngRAPZ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
youngRAPZ wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
I fully agree that star young players need solid vets around them , at least ones that know they are not the stars and defer to Barnes. Never going to happen with those two , Masai will need to trade at least one away for Scottie to get larger role.IMO.

Oh **** Nostradamus is in the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Niagaradamus

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app

This is Gold

alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#202 » by alienchild » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Scottie will get his mojo back when he unbraids his hair.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,506

Post#203 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:47 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
dTox wrote:Scottie didn't make the list, weird

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-execs-poll-luka-doncic-top-young-player-zion-williamson-lamelo-ball-evan-mobley/

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

There is a reason why so many NBA franchises are dumpster fires. Most NBA executives aren't very good at their jobs.
They basically copy and paste their draft lists from nbadraft.net or Vecenie.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#204 » by Madhouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:46 pm

Double Bubble wrote:Anyone concerned about him missing time due to knee soreness? Just wonder if that's a sign of future issues

not if he gets to get it properly healed. If you push through it, it could become a lingering issue.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#205 » by Vorticity » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:44 pm

vulture wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Shout out as well, this is a fantastic article, thanks for sharing! :clap:

TLDR version :lol:
Final thoughts

Barnes doesn’t create at the level that his All-Star teammates do, and as such the team hasn’t overhauled the team towards him in the halfcourt – their overall playstyle is extremely friendly to him to begin with. As teams get a little bit more film on him, the isolation potency could dip this year, but he’s already started to provide value in other playtypes and that means he’ll always be helpful on the floor, as a rookie.

More than anything, it seems like the Raptors are providing the context and playstyle for him to carve out a path towards a diverse type of stardom – which is exactly what his skillset calls for – but they’re also allowing for him to punch up at incredible upside as an isolation scorer.

He will be a star, though. That much seems clear.
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,596

Post#206 » by dTox » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm

bobbyp3588 wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
dTox wrote:Scottie didn't make the list, weird

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-execs-poll-luka-doncic-top-young-player-zion-williamson-lamelo-ball-evan-mobley/

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Not on that level yet lol. He’ll be up there by year 2 if he maintains this trajectory

This article is from last September. Scottie hadn’t played an NBA regular season minute when this was written. It’s very dated at this point.

It's not from last year, its from Jan 10th 2022.....
In September of 2020, HoopsHype polled 15 NBA talent evaluators and asked them to rank their top five Under 25 players to build around. We have repeated the exercise with 17 NBA executives this time. There was no change at No. 1, but quite a few after that.
TBZ for the win
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,434

Post#207 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,434

Post#208 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:34 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#209 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:50 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well this looks like the definitve barnes piece so far.

Samson and that other guy, brad too much hoops, seem to be the best technical analysis guys in raptor media.

Brad's particularly good when he talks about defense. Would be cool if he does a companion piece on scotty's D which might be a little less optimistic.

The one thing that keeps popping up in my head....suppose scotty DOES become a top 10 or top 5 player. There's no comparable star player from the past 30 years. There's no modern precedent for his style of play inside a top 5 guy. Not sure is this is necessarily cause for concern. There's a first for everything. But it does make it more difficult to envision happening compared to a guy like jalen green for whom we have an archetype to understand what it'd look like.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,060

Post#210 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:16 am

mdenny wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Samson and that other guy, brad too much hoops, seem to be the best technical analysis guys in raptor media.

Brad's particularly good when he talks about defense. Would be cool if he does a companion piece on scotty's D which might be a little less optimistic.

The one thing that keeps popping up in my head....suppose scotty DOES become a top 10 or top 5 player. There's no comparable star player from the past 30 years. There's no modern precedent for his style of play inside a top 5 guy. Not sure is this is necessarily cause for concern. There's a first for everything. But it does make it more difficult to envision happening compared to a guy like jalen green for whom we have an archetype to understand what it'd look like.

Less athletic 6'8 version of Chris Webber imo.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#211 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 am

HumbleRen wrote:
mdenny wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It's closer than most player comparisons....but webber was way more explosive. Take webber's atheticism/explosiveness away....is he still a top 10 player? Not sure if chris was ever a top 5 player.

Also....in scotty's favor....he has what seems to me a much better attitude. I think scotty will end up being a better overall defender mostly because he will try alot harder on consistent basis. Scotty doesn't strike me as the "take the night off defensively" type which i think webber was.

I think you have a good point when it comes to the archetype though.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#212 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:34 am

mdenny wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
mdenny wrote:

It's closer than most player comparisons....but webber was way more explosive. Take webber's atheticism/explosiveness away....is he still a top 10 player? Not sure if chris was ever a top 5 player.

Also....in scotty's favor....he has what seems to me a much better attitude. I think scotty will end up being a better overall defender mostly because he will try alot harder on consistent basis. Scotty doesn't strike me as the "take the night off defensively" type which i think webber was.

I think Barnes definitely has a better attitude but the lack of athleticism leads me to believe he won't ever touch that top 5/7 ceiling. I think Webber will end up as the superior scorer but Scottie's 2 way potential might close the gap slightly.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#213 » by Madhouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:31 am

mdenny wrote:

yeah I don't think there is any comparison or expectation. He will be special though.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#214 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Scottie is very athletic. He couldn't do a lot of the things he does if he wasn't. His lateral movements, his vertical, his co-ordination for someone his size, are all elite.

Too often people conflate blow by speed with athleticism when that's only one aspect of it.

It's like saying Kawhi isn't athletic because he doesn't explode off the dribble like Ja. There are different types of athletes and Scottie is very much a high-end athlete in much of the same ways Kawhi is.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#215 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Scottie is very athletic. He couldn't do a lot of the things he does if he wasn't. His lateral movements, his vertical, his co-ordination for someone his size, are all elite.

Too often people conflate blow by speed with athleticism when that's only one aspect of it.

It's like saying Kawhi isn't athletic because he doesn't explode to the basket like Ja. There are different types of athletes and Scottie is very much a high-end athlete in much of the same ways Kawhi is.

Kawhi is still much more athletic than Barnes, even with his failing knees.

I also think you’re underestimating on how truly fast and quick Kawhi was when he was younger, dude was blowing by Lebron on face up possessions.

Barnes is very athletic in his own way, very coordinated and mobile for a guy his size, which is a form of athleticism on its own.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#216 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Scottie is very athletic. He couldn't do a lot of the things he does if he wasn't. His lateral movements, his vertical, his co-ordination for someone his size, are all elite.

It's like saying Kawhi isn't athletic because he doesn't explode to the basket like Ja. There are different types of athletes and Scottie is very much a high-end athlete in much of the same ways Kawhi is.

I also think you’re underestimating on how truly fast and quick Kawhi was when he was younger, dude was blowing by Lebron on face up possessions.

Barnes is very athletic in his own way, very coordinated and mobile for a guy his size, which is a form of athleticism on its own.
What made/makes Kawhi great is his coordination and size combined with his ability to get to his spots and shoot it over people efficiently. That's what took him to another level and that's what Barnes will need to develop if he wants to get to that elite level.

When you are as big and coordinated as guys like Kawhi and Barnes, you don't need to blow by guys because you can just shoot it over them, even when crowded. Nobody can body them out of a spot or block their shot and if even the defender makes them uncomfortable, they're strong enough to accept the contact and finish around the basket.

These guys aren't guards and they don't need to play like them. They have huge wingspans, they're built like tanks and they're athletic guys who move very well. It's all about creating space for yourself so you can score efficiently.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#217 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:35 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

What made/makes Kawhi great is his coordination and size combined with his ability to get to his spots and shoot it over people efficiently. That's what took him to another level and that's what Barnes will need to develop if he wants to get to that elite level.

When you are as big and coordinated as guys like Kawhi and Barnes, you don't need to blow by guys because you can just shoot it over them, even when crowded. Nobody can body them out of a spot or block their shot and if even the defender makes them uncomfortable, they're strong enough to accept the contact and finish around the basket.

These guys aren't guards and they don't need to play like them. They have huge wingspans, they're built like tanks and they're athletic guys who move very well. It's all about creating space for yourself so you can score efficiently.

Agreed but that's a big IF. Hopefully he'll develop that part of his game.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#218 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Agreed but that's a big IF. Hopefully he'll develop that part of his game.
For sure, Kawhi has proven he can, Barnes still needs to develop that part of his game. Encouraging early signs, but they're just signs at this point.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#219 » by Dude-niagara » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:30 am

youngRAPZ wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
youngRAPZ wrote:Oh **** Nostradamus is in the building.

Niagaradamus

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app

This is Gold

]]
YOU STUPID
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#220 » by HumbleRen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:35 am

I know everyone desperately wants Siakam and Barnes to work but I don't know man, it's so painfully obvious that Barnes is a 4.

Return to Toronto Raptors