ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2 

Post#241 » by HumbleRen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 pm

anj wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Patience little Jedi, sooner or later Barnes will be the focal point of this team, just watch.

Never going to work and it may take some time but the Raptors will eventually trade Siakam. You cannot have a talent like Scottie playing the role of garbage man. He hangs out in the corner waiting, you want him in the post taking advantage of his size and athletic talent. Never going reach his potential with Siakam and that is nothing to do if I think Siakam is a good player because he is. They just have similar games and play the same postion, its a problem and Siakam backers won't admit it because they know how this story ends

I guarantee Masai did not invest the 4th overall pick the draft for his new garbage man center

Barnes's role seems perfectly normal for a 20-year-old rookie. DeRozan was the 5th option here when he came in the league. The Bucks didn't run anything for Giannis in his first year. Kawhi had the exact same "garbage man" role when he started out with the Spurs. It's actually a great way to develop talent. It takes pressure off the kid, teaches him how to score in the flow of an NBA game, and helps him understand how to play top-level team basketball. Scottie's already a great team player, but there's still plenty he can learn. His struggles lately are down to his knee and maybe the dreaded rookie wall. He'll be just fine playing with Siakam, it might take another year though and a bit of creativity from Nurse.

I disagree on comparing him to Demar or Kawhi. He’s more NBA ready than both of them.

This isn’t an OG Anunoby situation where we should bring him along slowly.

He was averaging 15/8/4 for almost half the season while being the most efficient player on the Raptors from the floor. By far #1 in self created shot attempts in the rookie class with seemingly the capability to handle more responsibility.

You know what other organizations would do with a prospect like that ? Drip feed him even more of ball handling responsibilities and put him in easy spots to let Barnes be Barnes.

Not take away his opportunities and turn him into the 4th/5th option on a treadmill team.

Luka/Cade/Trae/Lamelo/Garland/AntEd/Wagner/Ja all get to play basketball with a free spirit at their young age, not having to worry about hierarchy nonsense which allows them to be creative and see what works and doesn’t work. Essentially grooming them into being future main focal offence hubs.

Making him the Marc Gasol of our team and being subservient on a treadmill team is insane. I can stomach it right now because he’s banged up but if they continue this next year, they will be actively stunting his development.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,827

Post#242 » by Los_29 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:46 pm

Dude-niagara wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:

We don’t have any ball dominant vets. Are we watching the same team?

What freaking games do you watch? if you don't see any ball hogs then were watching two different games and your most likely a fanboy of one of them

I watch the games and look at the advanced statistics.

Can you prove that we have ball hogs on this roster? What are you basing this on? Your feelings? Lol
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#243 » by Dude-niagara » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:57 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
anj wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:Never going to work and it may take some time but the Raptors will eventually trade Siakam. You cannot have a talent like Scottie playing the role of garbage man. He hangs out in the corner waiting, you want him in the post taking advantage of his size and athletic talent. Never going reach his potential with Siakam and that is nothing to do if I think Siakam is a good player because he is. They just have similar games and play the same postion, its a problem and Siakam backers won't admit it because they know how this story ends

I guarantee Masai did not invest the 4th overall pick the draft for his new garbage man center

Barnes's role seems perfectly normal for a 20-year-old rookie. DeRozan was the 5th option here when he came in the league. The Bucks didn't run anything for Giannis in his first year. Kawhi had the exact same "garbage man" role when he started out with the Spurs. It's actually a great way to develop talent. It takes pressure off the kid, teaches him how to score in the flow of an NBA game, and helps him understand how to play top-level team basketball. Scottie's already a great team player, but there's still plenty he can learn. His struggles lately are down to his knee and maybe the dreaded rookie wall. He'll be just fine playing with Siakam, it might take another year though and a bit of creativity from Nurse.

I disagree on comparing him to Demar or Kawhi. He’s more NBA ready than both of them.

He was averaging 15/8/4 for almost half the season while being the most efficient player on the Raptors from the floor. By far #1 in self created shot attempts in the rookie class with seemingly the capability to handle more responsibility.

You know what other organizations would do with a prospect like that ? Drip feed him even more of ball handling responsibilities and put him in easy spots to let Barnes be Barnes.

Not take away his opportunities and turn him into the 4th/5th option on a treadmill team.

Luka/Cade/Trae/Lamelo/Garland/AntEd/Wagner/Ja all get to play basketball with a free spirit at their young age, not having to worry about hierarchy nonsense which allows them to be creative and see what works and doesn’t work. Essentially grooming them into being future main focal offence hubs.

Making him the Marc Gasol of our team and being subservient on a treadmill team is insane. I can stomach it right now because he’s banged up but if they continue this next year, they will be actively stunting his development.

I agree, this season is more for learning the league and getting healthy. I expect Scottie to improve his handles for next season and then if this continues with him being some 4th or 5th option they will destroying both his confidence & development.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#244 » by Los_29 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
anj wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:Never going to work and it may take some time but the Raptors will eventually trade Siakam. You cannot have a talent like Scottie playing the role of garbage man. He hangs out in the corner waiting, you want him in the post taking advantage of his size and athletic talent. Never going reach his potential with Siakam and that is nothing to do if I think Siakam is a good player because he is. They just have similar games and play the same postion, its a problem and Siakam backers won't admit it because they know how this story ends

Luka, Ball, Cade and Trae are significantly better, more advanced offensive players than Scottie. Not sure why you're bringing up Garland, his usage in his rookie year is similar to that of Scottie's and even he was much better offensively than Scottie was coming into the league. Franz Wagner's team has won like 7 games this year.

You don't get better by asking your players to do things they can't do. According to experts who have spent decades around the game, Scottie is being developed properly. Having a free spirit is not how you get better as a player nor does it lead to wins.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Post#245 » by HumbleRen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:36 pm

Dude-niagara wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
anj wrote:

I agree, this season is more for learning the league and getting healthy. I expect Scottie to improve his handles for next season and then if this continues with him being some 4th or 5th option they will destroying both his confidence & development.

Yep, are we grooming him to be a great piece in the machine or are we grooming him to be THE piece. That’s the answer the FO and coaches need to discuss internally.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#246 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:54 pm

Right now he's getting the JV treatment from back in the day - a guy who is definitely more talented than what you would think with how his team uses him offensively.

The good thing is Barnes has the ability to just grab the ball and make plays for himself out of nothing, which JV couldn't do due to his size. It'll be interesting to see if he gets the JV treatment next season or not. That can definitely slow some of his development.

Interestingly going to Barnes inside is actually something that would benefit this team today but they still haven't figured that out.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#247 » by Ref_from_hell » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:04 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Right now he's getting the JV treatment from back in the day - a guy who is definitely more talented than what you would think with how his team uses him offensively.

The good thing is Barnes has the ability to just grab the ball and make plays for himself out of nothing, which JV couldn't do due to his size. It'll be interesting to see if he gets the JV treatment next season or not. That can definitely slow some of his development.

Interestingly going to Barnes inside is actually something that would benefit this team today but they still haven't figured that out.

Barnes looked completely disinterested last night until the end of the third quarter. Ironically, Fred was the one who got him going. He connected with him for two straight plays late in the third quarter and then Barnes kind of took off from there.

Disinterested might be too harsh, probably a combination of physical fatigue and some confidence issues related to the injury
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#248 » by Psubs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:29 am

Tha Cynic wrote:Right now he's getting the JV treatment from back in the day - a guy who is definitely more talented than what you would think with how his team uses him offensively.

As long as he doesn't bulk up!!!
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#249 » by Madhouse » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 am

mintsa wrote:I know Scottie is banged up but damn is he fading fast…….

That was always going to happen. I talked about this in the beginning of this thread. You got an injured player who is supposed to play a role he can't really play. It's not going to work out. He is going to struggle mightily. First thing you have to do is keep him out for weeks and let him get right. Keeping him out just for a game is not doing anything. And then you have to figure out his role. If you believe this is the role for him to win games, then you have to live with the struggles.

But when I hear Nurse say he could have played tonight it tells me this will be basically it for the rest of the season, he will be banged up, miss a game, then play again and struggle.

He is in a tough situation and probably knows that as well. Now, if this turns into losing complete interest during the game, spirit etc, there needs to be a solution and something figured out. But for now I have simply accepted that he will consistently struggle until the end of the year. If this is the beginning of things to come or just a tough couple of months will lie in the hands of Barnes' improvement and the decisions by the front office. It just cannot become a trend heading into next year although it should get better as Barnes grows as a player (even though that growth might be stunted) and as he gets healthy again.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#250 » by Los_29 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:45 am

Scottie couldn’t be in a better situation. He’s got an ultra versatile player in Siakam, an excellent two-way player in OG and one of the better point guards in the league to learn from. All three of them have championship rings and know what it takes to win.

Meanwhile Cade, Franz, Giddey, Suggs and Green lose 75% of the games they play in.
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 901

Post#251 » by TNRaps4life » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:06 am

Los_29 wrote:Scottie couldn’t be in a better situation. He’s got an ultra versatile player in Siakam, an excellent two-way player in OG and one of the better point guards in the league to learn from. All three of them have championship rings and know what it takes to win.

Meanwhile Cade, Franz, Giddey, Suggs and Green lose 75% of the games they play in.

True but they need to incorporate Scottie in if they want to be great. Hard to be involved when you just put him on the corner without touches.
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#252 » by gbball » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:19 am

It looks like Siakam is running point a lot more lately. Especially tonight against Milwaukee. A lot of us have been lobbying for Barnes to do it but I think so long as Fred or Siakam do a solid job, it'll be tough for him to get that role full time.

in the game against Detroit, we went away from what had been working for us during the win streak, and played a lot of hero ball...but I'm hoping that we go more with Siakam/Barnes running point and keeping Fred as a secondary playmaker/shooter, with Barnes eventually becoming that guy.

I've noticed Barnes is better at quickly recognizing opportunities in real-time, but sometimes doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball up top against a set defense.

He also has to get better at being ready to pass or score. He appears to at times be predetermined as to what he's going to do. He's also got to learn to put himself in better positions to keep both options open when he gets close the basket.

In a perfect world, I think Siakam and Barnes commit to being swiss army knife players averaging around 17+pts/8+rbs/6+assists. That way they could easily coexist.

I do like Siakam's assertiveness lately, but we've got to find a way for Barnes to get his hands on the ball more too.

I think I'm starting to see the vision...its painful at times and doesn't always seem like the best way to go...but, if we can somehow have a 3 headed monster of Siakam, OG and Barnes as big playmakers we'll be hard to stop when they all iron out the kinks in their games... OG being the best shooter and the strongest, Siakam as the the best scorer and the quickest and Barnes as the best playmaker, that would be hard for other teams to stop. We'd need to play selfless basketball...none of the ego service from the Detroit game.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#253 » by Psubs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm

TNRaps4life wrote:
Los_29 wrote:Scottie couldn’t be in a better situation. He’s got an ultra versatile player in Siakam, an excellent two-way player in OG and one of the better point guards in the league to learn from. All three of them have championship rings and know what it takes to win.

True but they need to incorporate Scottie in if they want to be great. Hard to be involved when you just put him on the corner without touches.

When Fred is in the game he's not at the top, when Fred sits, Scottie is up top facilitating like Draymond. Spoon fed small amounts of responsibility to generate confidence within the offensive structure. They are building a strong foundation. He's in his 2nd year out of highschool and came off the bench last season in college.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#254 » by 720 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 am

I found this video of Scottie before he went to mountverde when he was with his local high school (Grade 10). Thought it was pretty fun and interesting to watch so just sharing for those interested.

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,872

Post#255 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:16 am

He's gonna go off against the Heat.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#256 » by Yeezus_ » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:30 am

HumbleRen wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Yep, are we grooming him to be a great piece in the machine or are we grooming him to be THE piece. That’s the answer the FO and coaches need to discuss internally.

There isn't anything to discuss. If he's a superstar he'll prove it on the court and his USG% will sky rocket in year 3.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#257 » by Badonkadonk » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 am

I disagree with the comparison. JV's issues were largely systemic and due to Casey. Jonas was literally an afterthought in Casey's Demar-centric "system".

Nobody has encouraged Barnes to be more assertive both on drives and with his shot than Nurse. Just the fact that he's launching 3s unexpectedly is in large part due to Nurse's offensive scheme, which promotes "being the guy" if you can exploit advantage.

The Siakam-narrative is also tired; Barnes' offensive production goes up when Pascal plays with him and they've shown good synergy together, probably because they're both long, can drive and can pass.

Barnes has tendinitis in his knee and had other bumps slow him down (eg. that sprained thumb). He's also hitting the rookie wall, as he's into the part of the schedule that is beyond what he's historically played.

But it makes for more interesting forum banter to say that players, the coach or something else is "holding back his development" (not your post but in general).
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#258 » by dTox » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 am

Love itImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#259 » by DelAbbot » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:54 am

dTox wrote:Love itImage

This declaration for ROTY is Barnes' reply to FVV calling for Barnes to sacrifice his stats.

Read on Twitter
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#260 » by dTox » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:45 am

Scottie is too talented, and confident to brush off that ROY trophy, and why shouldn't he want it?

TBZ for the win

Return to Toronto Raptors