ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SuppaSlick
Junior
And1: 346

Re: Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts 

Post#201 » by SuppaSlick » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 pm

geminiz wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:
geminiz wrote:
I duno if it's your lack of vocabulary or you just have reading comprehension issue, but influx means incoming, it doesn't mean what is already there previously. What myth do I need to stop exactly? I am sick of people that immediately jump to their preconception and immediately start to preach whatever virtual signal they eager to show off, but just fail basic ability to really read what was written. It's embarrassing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app

I won't take long. But I'll help you out here pal. Since my " comprehension" is off I'll tell you where I based it on

INFLUX

Cambridge dictionary

"the fact of a large number of people or things arriving at the same time"

Dictionary.com
"an inflow"
Act of flowing in

Other websites provide either definition

Anyways, you really need to chill with the personal insults though. If something has multiple definitions then how can my comprehension be off? I decided to use the context of your paragraph to figure which definition you were using. I forgive you though for doubling down on your nonsense

Ah yes, virtue signalling. The right wing buzz word of the 2020s Sure dude. I'm a minority and attempting to explain things from my point of view..if thats virtue signalling about my good character to you then I don't know what to say lol

Lol, so the definitions you post urself basically confirm you can't read cuz it clearly tell u it implies "arriving". Then ur only rebuttal is calling the other "right wing" , throw out ur minority card, and that's the best u can come up with? I sure can see why u said u won't take long lol, just straight flip the switch and start labeling! This is no longer just embarrassing but just pathetic

look man, it's ok we get it, just admit u can't read the original post and was too pump up to virtual signal the moment u smell an opinion that doesn't immediately praise diversity hire. There is an edit button, no need to double down and start throwing names to people u don't even know their background. Lol suddenly throwing out ur self-proclaimed minority card out of nowhere as ur argument point is especially sad, as if that gives u an excuse for ur inability to read.

I mentioned that im a minority because virtue signalling as a concept makes no sense when discussing issues that pertain to that same person's race/gender/creed.

If a women complains about the glass ceiling are you going to tell her she's virtue signalling??? No, because she's sharing her experiences that actually affect her, it has nothing to do with making people believe she has a virtuous character.

If a native Canadian complained about mistreatment of natives then is that virtue signalling??? No, because he's sharing his experiences and is not trying to showcase how great of a person he is by believing these things

If I as a male non native complained about the glass ceiling for women or mistreatment of natives then sure you would have a point about me trying to signal I'm a good person.

I'm discussing issues that pertain to my own race, you can't virtue signal that

Your in over your head, just stop it.
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#202 » by geminiz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:46 pm

SuppaSlick wrote:
geminiz wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:

I won't take long. But I'll help you out here pal. Since my " comprehension" is off I'll tell you where I based it on

INFLUX

Cambridge dictionary

"the fact of a large number of people or things arriving at the same time"

Dictionary.com
"an inflow"
Act of flowing in

Other websites provide either definition

Anyways, you really need to chill with the personal insults though. If something has multiple definitions then how can my comprehension be off? I decided to use the context of your paragraph to figure which definition you were using. I forgive you though for doubling down on your nonsense

Ah yes, virtue signalling. The right wing buzz word of the 2020s Sure dude. I'm a minority and attempting to explain things from my point of view..if thats virtue signalling about my good character to you then I don't know what to say lol

Lol, so the definitions you post urself basically confirm you can't read cuz it clearly tell u it implies "arriving". Then ur only rebuttal is calling the other "right wing" , throw out ur minority card, and that's the best u can come up with? I sure can see why u said u won't take long lol, just straight flip the switch and start labeling! This is no longer just embarrassing but just pathetic

look man, it's ok we get it, just admit u can't read the original post and was too pump up to virtual signal the moment u smell an opinion that doesn't immediately praise diversity hire. There is an edit button, no need to double down and start throwing names to people u don't even know their background. Lol suddenly throwing out ur self-proclaimed minority card out of nowhere as ur argument point is especially sad, as if that gives u an excuse for ur inability to read.

I mentioned that im a minority because virtue signalling as a concept makes no sense when discussing issues that pertain to that same person's race/gender/creed.

If a women complains about the glass ceiling are you going to tell her she's virtue signalling??? No, because she's sharing her experiences that actually affect her, it has nothing to do with making people believe she has a virtuous character.

If a native Canadian complained about mistreatment of natives then is that virtue signalling??? No, because he's sharing his experiences and is not trying to showcase how great of a person he is by believing these things

If I as a male non native complained about the glass ceiling for women or mistreatment of natives then sure you would have a point about me trying to signal I'm a good person.

Just admit "hey i didn't read, I prematurely.... jumped the gun, sorry my bad"

There, ur welcome.

Now ur shifting the entire topic into my use of "virtual signal", which isn't even in the original response ha, way to segue and avoid on what started this.

Look, just like u have done with dictionary.com, Google urself again on how it has been used and learn a new word properly. Why are u reserving words that existed over a decade to a certain group, and what, just cuz u said so? How about I just copy ur tactic and claim SuppaSlick is a sexually-predatory term

I give zero f about ur self proclaimed minority status. For all I know u can be a white bro named Chad living ur affluent life as a trust fund baby in Calabasas disguising as a minority online cuz he can't make a proper argument. What does that have to do with a definition of a word ?. Heck u can be Obama or Trump, had the greatest struggle in life, a successful minority with a Hollywood worthy upbringing story, it still does not change the definition of word lol! Keep throwing smoke bomb lol what a joke

right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#203 » by right between the eyes » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Ugh as expected instead of this being about the broadcasters' ability this has turned into a race discussion. As if we don't have enough of this right now in the world. Smh. Time to lock this up mods!
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#204 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 pm

right between the eyes wrote:Ugh as expected instead of this being about the broadcasters' ability this has turned into a race discussion. As if we don't have enough of this right now in the world. Smh. Time to lock this up mods!

Sort of where every conversation on this forum seems to turn to nowadays. Either that, COVID or tWo vs non-tankers lol
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#205 » by johanliebert » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:04 pm

Ref_from_hell wrote:
pilkoids wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:In retrospect, I should have known the writing was on the wall for Leo after he made a harmless on air joke about dragging his wife to a game. All of the Twitter "I need something to be offended about" went after him hard about how insensitive it was. It was the beginning of the end.

What was this? I missed it

It was in 2019. He was forced to make a twitter apology. I just tried looking for it but all I could find was this "man's" tweet

Read on Twitter
more

Look at that neck beard male feminist. :lol: Women don’t respect male feminists even the ones who refuse to acknowledge diversity hired in this thread.

I used to follow Leo on Twitter he’s as liberal as it gets. His social media account reminded me of a Canadian Rex chapman trust me Leo is as progressive as it gets.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#206 » by johanliebert » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:06 pm

geminiz wrote:But there is though. In big tech industry, there is literally a quota managers are told to hit to hire people under the minority flag (but as usual, Asian excluded regardless what tiny ethnics ur actually from, if that ethnic is in Asia and ur a man, ur white from corps view). The problem is they should have fix that upstream in education with financial aid , scholarship first to nurture the pool of talents. When u currently have a tiny pool of minority talents in the first place, and u must hit some quota, u have no choice but to lower the bar once the talent pool dry up. It's basic math, and it really sucks for minority hires who got the job fair and square due to their actual talent cuz with the additional influx of under qualified hires who got in by diversity, everyone has the diversity glasses on when they look at u.

Us people with jobs know about the push for diversity and as you alluded to it’s not good for anyone.
scirocco53
Senior
And1: 164

Post#207 » by scirocco53 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Is it okay to state that I like the current crews less than in years past without anyone making me explain that it's neither about race nor gender?

It took a while for me to warm up to Matt Devlin, as I both enjoyed, and was used to Chuck Swirsky. Hoping the current lineup will one day grow on me.
"Release the hounds"
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#208 » by HiJiNX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:28 pm

right between the eyes wrote:Ugh as expected instead of this being about the broadcasters' ability this has turned into a race discussion. As if we don't have enough of this right now in the world. Smh. Time to lock this up mods!

It’s turned into a race discussion because posters have made it about race when their biases come out.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#209 » by Kinger95 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

Straight up the chicks on nfl network are there because they know their stuff and contribute and are good at their job. Erin Andrews , Kate Adams and quite a few more. I have no problem with them talking about a sport they were never pro in. They’re actually some of the best and most insightful.

Sportsnet and tsn are trying to be woke at our expense. Your delusional if you think that Kia nurse and Kayla gray and Tessa bonhomme are good at their jobs. They’re there because they bring diversity not because of excellence in their field. It’s a shame too because somewhere out there there’s 3 people significantly better than them more deserving, harder working and where they’re male/female or any ethnicity that’s the sad thing
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#210 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

HiJiNX wrote:

It’s turned into a race discussion because posters have made it about race when their biases come out.

Actually, if you scroll to page one you'll see it's tecumseh who came into this thread mentioning race and sex. He/she kinda derailed the whole thing. Every comment before his/hers was focusing on the ability of our current broadcast team lol
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#211 » by HiJiNX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

geminiz wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:
geminiz wrote:

There, ur welcome.

Now ur shifting the entire topic into my use of "virtual signal", which isn't even in the original response ha, way to segue and avoid on what started this.

Look, just like u have done with dictionary.com, Google urself again on how it has been used and learn a new word properly. Why are u reserving words that existed over a decade to a certain group, and what, just cuz u said so? How about I just copy ur tactic and claim SuppaSlick is a sexually-predatory term

I give zero f about ur self proclaimed minority status. For all I know u can be a white bro named Chad living ur affluent life as a trust fund baby in Calabasas disguising as a minority online cuz he can't make a proper argument. What does that have to do with a definition of a word ?. Heck u can be Obama or Trump, had the greatest struggle in life, a successful minority with a Hollywood worthy upbringing story, it still does not change the definition of word lol! Keep throwing smoke bomb lol what a joke

Bro, I’ve been watching your back and forth from afar and didn’t want to jump in cuz it’s not my discussion. However, you clearly don’t know what influx means in reality. Influx in this context doesn’t refer to the process of certain demographics entering a particular industry, but their actual arrival in that industry. So if there was such an influx of minorities into the tech world as you are erroneously assuming the stats would reflect that, but the stats don’t reflect that. So you’re wrong. The tech industry is still overwhelmingly white and male and tech professionals from every population that isn’t white and male have been bringing more awareness to it.

As for diversity hires…I mean, your feelings about that subject and your usage of that term say a lot right there.

I can tell you about the last “diversity hire” at my company. We were interviewing for a director position and went through all of our candidates but didn’t like any of them very much. Then George Floyd happened and the org went back to the pile and pulled out a resume of a Jamaican woman who didn’t have the “right kind of experience” in the first screening (most of her experience was in organizations that serve POCs in particular). Well we called her up, interviewed her, hired her for the director position into a very rocky ship and in a year she has ascended to executive director and has completely cleaned up the organization and we are running more efficiently than we have (by the numbers, not just anecdotally) in three years.

So while you’re talking about diversity hires you completely ignore that some folks hired based on their diversity are hired because they’re good but otherwise would have been looked past because of bias from the people doing the selecting. It doesn’t mean that some folks like John Saunders (previously mentioned in this thread) didn’t make it based on merit but prior to intervention, that manifestation of a meritocracy working properly was more of an outlier than the rule. Have you read Hal Johnson’s story about not getting hired at TSN, though he was stellar in the selection process, because there were already enough Black folks at TSN? That’s why we have “diversity hires”. POCs aren’t taking jobs away from white people, they’re getting the jobs they should have gotten if the process was fairer to begin with.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,052

Post#212 » by ItsDanger » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

Use Noyes from the Bet99 ads instead. Listening to Kayla is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Spoiler:
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#213 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:47 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Use Noyes from the Bet99 ads instead. Listening to Kayla is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Spoiler:

she bad :o :nod:
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#214 » by HiJiNX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

Actually, if you scroll to page one you'll see it's tecumseh who came into this thread mentioning race and sex. He/she kinda derailed the whole thing. Every comment before his/hers was focusing on the ability of our current broadcast team lol

No, he was addressing the flavour of the conversation.

When people are inserting words like ‘flava’ into the conversation (lol no Black people have used that word since like 1995) and talking about Kayla’s accent in the way that they are then it indicates that they’re talking about more than her performance.

I’m Black and know plenty of Black people that talk just like Kayla. Maybe that’s a foreign experience for a lot of people on this board who don’t interact with many Black people outside of work or don’t interact with Black people who have been acculturated around other Black folks. But for me, I’m around my own community all the time and there are plenty of people who talk just like Kayla.
speedythief
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#215 » by speedythief » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:49 pm

NinjaBro wrote:What's Gus Johnson doing these days? Do you guys remember when he was doing the play by play for the Bucks broadcast during the playoffs and he was losing his mind as Normgod was sonning them? Gus went crazy when Normgod made a thunderous dunk on a Giannis. The Bucks board exploded and demanded Gus off the broadcast claiming he was a Homer for the Raps

Gus is my #1 choice for play by play. He's awesome. Wish we could throw the bag on him and Kia Nurse.

Gus on the Malice at the Palace: SOMETIMES THESE THINGS HAPPEN IN BASKETBALL!
SuppaSlick
Junior
And1: 346

Post#216 » by SuppaSlick » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:53 pm

geminiz wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:
geminiz wrote:

There, ur welcome.

Haha, alright man :lol:
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#217 » by geminiz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:55 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
geminiz wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:

There, ur welcome.

Bro, I’ve been watching your back and forth from afar and didn’t want to jump in cuz it’s not my discussion. However, you clearly don’t know what influx means in reality. Influx in this context doesn’t refer to the process of certain demographics entering a particular industry, but their actual arrival in that industry. So if there was such an influx of minorities into the tech world as you are erroneously assuming the stats would reflect that, but the stats don’t reflect that. So you’re wrong. The tech industry is still overwhelmingly white and male and tech professionals from every population that isn’t white and male have been bringing more awareness to it.

As for diversity hires…I mean, your feelings about that subject and your usage of that term say a lot right there.

I can tell you about the last “diversity hire” at my company. We were interviewing for a director position and went through all of our candidates but didn’t like any of them very much. Then George Floyd happened and the org went back to the pile and pulled out a resume of a Jamaican woman who didn’t have the “right kind of experience” in the first screening (most of her experience was in organizations that serve POCs in particular). Well we called her up, interviewed her, hired her for the director position into a very rocky ship and in a year she has ascended to executive director and has completely cleaned up the organization and we are running more efficiently than we have (by the numbers, not just anecdotally) in three years.

So while you’re talking about diversity hires you completely ignore that some folks hired based on their diversity are hired because they’re good but otherwise would have been looked past because of bias from the people doing the selecting. It doesn’t mean that some folks like John Saunders (previously mentioned in this thread) didn’t make it based on merit but prior to intervention, that manifestation of a meritocracy working properly was more of an outlier than the rule. Have you read Hal Johnson’s story about not getting hired at TSN, though he was stellar in the selection process, because there were already enough Black folks at TSN? That’s why we have “diversity hires”. POCs aren’t taking jobs away from white people, they’re getting the jobs they should have gotten if the process was fairer to begin with.

Bro, how about this

HiJiNX wrote:However, you clearly don’t know what influx means in reality.

Funny cuz the definition is exactly as SuppaSlick stated (not sure why he wanna do himself like that, but thanks!)
SuppaSlick wrote:There: "an inflow" Act of flowing in

HiJiNX wrote: Influx in *this context* doesn’t refer to the process of certain demographics entering a particular industry

In "this context", u mean the entire post I wrote? You're telling me, u know my mind so well that, I actually duno what context I have in my own mind when I used the word, but u do?? Dude man, we got a mind reader here, better get my tinfoil hat!

HiJiNX wrote:you completely ignore that some folks hired based on their diversity are hired because they’re good

geminiz wrote:"and it really sucks for minority hires who got the job fair and square due to their actual talent "

Keep projecting and do ur And1's on the sideline.
What's next, I duno the word "completely" in this context ? lol
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#218 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:It’s turned into a race discussion because posters have made it about race when their biases come out.

When people are inserting words like ‘flava’ into the conversation (lol no Black people have used that word since like 1995) and talking about Kayla’s accent in the way that they are then it indicates that they’re talking about more than her performance.

I’m Black and know plenty of Black people that talk just like Kayla. Maybe that’s a foreign experience for a lot of people on this board who don’t interact with many Black people outside of work or don’t interact with Black people who have been acculturated around other Black folks. But for me, I’m around my own community all the time and there are plenty of people who talk just like Kayla.

What are you talking about?

There wasn't a single mention of race nor was the conversation centred about a specific member of the broadcast team. OP literally went off on EVERYONE...And then tecumseh strolled in here and said "The non-sexist, non-racist and non-body-shaming position." quoting someone who merely pointed out why everyone was complaining about the broadcasts...

You serious? lol
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#219 » by everdiso » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

There wasn't a single mention of race nor was the conversation centred about a specific member of the broadcast team. OP literally went off on EVERYONE...And then tecumseh strolled in here and said "The non-sexist, non-racist and non-body-shaming position." quoting someone who merely pointed out why everyone was complaining about the broadcasts...

You serious? lol

Do we really have to play dumb like this?
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#220 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm

everdiso wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:No, he was addressing the flavour of the conversation.

You serious? lol

Do we really have to play dumb like this?

:dontknow:

My mind just doesn't go towards racism anytime anything happens. Personally experienced discrimination growing up based on my background too, engaged to a visible minority, most of my friends are visible minorities, and know plenty of people who have been victims of racial/sexist abuse - the type I probably wouldn't want to spend an eternity typing out on a computer screen.

So yeah, maybe I'm playing dumb cause people don't like some of our broadcast team lol

Return to Toronto Raptors