ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BigDocta898
Rookie
And1: 1,384

Re: Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts 

Post#261 » by BigDocta898 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:38 pm

right between the eyes wrote:
MavCarter wrote:Lol kayla isnt even bad you know exactly why these dudes dont like her

And why is that exactly? I know what you're implying but she's awful! Kia is miles ahead of her !

Hahaha mav carter you just got COOKED!
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#262 » by refshateRaps » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Matty D & Jack are a good team, albeit corny. But they are good at their craft.

Rod, Leo, Alvin & Kayla are cringe
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,587

Post#263 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:48 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:I wonder if those Sportsnet dismissals have to do with the abysmal performance of their streaming services. The in-browser streams have been unwatchable until very recently. Not acceptable for a megacorps like Rogers.

They don't compete against anyone in the country. No incentive. The changes don't mean anything when you only compete against yourself and the consumer of the service only has you to rely on.

Are the changes related to the Edward Rogers issues at the very top?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#264 » by kj_ » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
everdiso wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Too bad it's an anonymous board or you could try to get him fired like Don Cherry huh?

It's just so awful that people aren't allowed to say anything they want without any repercussions.

What a sad sad world we live in that people have to be responsible for their own words and actions.

People should watch what they say but the repercussions for saying your opinion in a way that doesn't suit the current language police should not be loss of income and social disgrace forever

Okay, I’ll jump back in. What the hell.

You know as well as I and everyone else, that Don didn’t get fired for that one unintending use of “those people”.

He got fired because of a pattern of behaviour and comments that put down people that were not “Canadian” in the image the he sees what a “true Canadian” should be. The world changed and evolved and Don didn’t. He was spoken to about this and refused to budge on his views. That is why he was fired.

Again, you already know this but you have your position to defend. And much like Don, refuse to change with the world around you. For better or worse, that’s your choice. But consequences do exist for that lack of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#265 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm

kj_ wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
everdiso wrote:
It's just so awful that people aren't allowed to say anything they want without any repercussions.

What a sad sad world we live in that people have to be responsible for their own words and actions.

People should watch what they say but the repercussions for saying your opinion in a way that doesn't suit the current language police should not be loss of income and social disgrace forever

Okay, I’ll jump back in. What the hell.

You know as well as I and everyone else, that Don didn’t get fired for that one unintending use of “those people”.

He got fired because of a pattern of behaviour and comments that put down people that were not “Canadian” in the image the he sees what a “true Canadian” should be. The world changed and evolved and Don didn’t. He was spoken to about this and refused to budge on his views. That is why he was fired.

Again, you already know this but you have your position to defend. And much like Don, refuse to change with the world around you. For better or worse, that’s your choice. But consequences do exist for that lack of change.

I only used don Cherry as an example of someone being fired and banished for something he said. I could have used the example of Peter shurman as I did in another post.
And my original point was about one poster taking a single phrase by another poster and using that to dismiss everything about them. So I said too bad you couldn't get him fired and ruin his life. I could have stopped there, Cherry was just an example. Just a throwaway line not central to my point.

But of course you seize on the red herring and make it the focus
kj_
Analyst

Post#266 » by kj_ » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 pm

I used your words. Didn’t realize you were throwing red herrings into your arguments.

Now I know… don’t take the words you use as support for your points because they could just be red herrings trying to throw me off.

To your point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is open to consequences for the words and actions they take. That’s just the way it is.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,789

Post#267 » by Duffman100 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm

pilkoids wrote:What implications does this have for the broadcast/coverage?

Probably not implications in the short term, but there could be pretty big ones long term.

Jordan Banks and Shawn Mandel were Joe Natale hires. When the battle for CEO was won, the writing was on the wall. Banks & Mandel were 'push the envelope' type people, trying to push media to new heights. The new head of media is a cut and slash exec. She's brought in to hit budgets.

To me, that's a sign that Rogers is going to heavily deprioritize media. And to be honest, I have suspicions that they are going to sell off the assets.

Lateral Quicks wrote:I wonder if those Sportsnet dismissals have to do with the abysmal performance of their streaming services. The in-browser streams have been unwatchable until very recently. Not acceptable for a megacorps like Rogers.

Nah, this is more of a high level exec and strategy battle inside of Rogers. I don't think Sportsnet Now figured into this at all.

I can't say too much more, (though I could wax poetically) as I was directly involved in the launch of that product. :lol:
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#268 » by Double Bubble » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:49 pm

kj_ wrote:I used your words. Didn’t realize you were throwing red herrings into your arguments.

Now I know… don’t take the words you use as support for your points because they could just be red herrings trying to throw me off.

To your point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is open to consequences for the words and actions they take. That’s just the way it is.

And its guys like you who bask in those "consequences" and the downfall of others. Misery loves company
kj_
Analyst

Post#269 » by kj_ » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Double Bubble wrote:
kj_ wrote:I used your words. Didn’t realize you were throwing red herrings into your arguments.

And its guys like you who bask in those "consequences" and the downfall of others. Misery loves company

Bask? No. I would rather not see people destroy their lives because of bigoted beliefs. I would much rather them evolve and grow. Becoming more compassionate and empathetic people that are accepting of others.

However, for some, without the consequences nothing will change. It just is the way it is.

WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#270 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 am

Double Bubble wrote:

And who decides these consequences? The court of Twitter? And always with the verdict of public shame, permanent loss of job and income.

Seems pretty draconian
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,106

Post#271 » by C Court » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:37 am

When will they learn that you can’t cut away on an under the basket inbounds? We missed a Bucks score on a quick cut because we fans were looking at something else. Keep the camera on the ball.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#272 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:39 am

C Court wrote:When will they learn that you can’t cut away on an under the basket inbounds? We missed a Bucks score on a quick cut because we fans were looking at something else. Keep the camera on the ball.

Happens at least once per game. Yes make that a simple rule, don't leave the ball. Even on dead balls they often show a replay, come back too late and we miss a layup in mid step, or a turnover and not see what led to it.

Many here often say, we're not bad compared to other local broadcasts. I know those comments are more about announcers. But I don't think I ever miss seeing a live play on other teams' broadcasts due to replay or cutaways to closeups.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,781

Post#273 » by Quattro » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 am

C Court wrote:When will they learn that you can’t cut away on an under the basket inbounds? We missed a Bucks score on a quick cut because we fans were looking at something else. Keep the camera on the ball.

“Never” is probably the answer based on the mountains of available evidence.
kj_
Analyst

Post#274 » by kj_ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:15 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:

And who decides these consequences? The court of Twitter? And always with the verdict of public shame, permanent loss of job and income.

Seems pretty draconian

Everyone should be well aware by now and not caught off guard. Being ignorant to the potential consequences is no excuse at this point.

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. They are also responsible for their words and actions and aware that their words and actions will have consequences if they’re bigoted.

This is the world we live in.

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,755

Post#275 » by spykelee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 am

I don't get why people don't like Kayla. I think she's pretty great. Enthusiastic and energetic, clearly a fan of the team, has a good repoire with the players. I don't think she brings exceptional analysis or earth shattering reports but that isn't really her role. She's great imo. Ditto for Kate. As in studio host or sideline reporter she is a pros pro as far as broadcasting goes and clearly a well versed sports fan, respect to her. I don't love Amy's voice and she can be a little rough around the edges at times but her knowledge is on point, she's fine as in game analyst. Her and alvin are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. Kia is the cream of the crop for in game analysis, she's also good in studio, hits all her points. Cues up the next topic or person, she looks at the right camera..For how little broadcasting experience she has, she's exceptional and a shoe in for more, post playing career

Matty D is as professional and polished as it gets. He does get a little over the top with some of his narratives and jokes, Especially in games out of reach, but when it matters, and he's fully dialed in, there's almost nobody better from a professional stand point. Leo, jack, Eric, Sherm, jonsey... Meh. Lifers, they are all bland but fine...

My biggest gripe would also be with some of the technical aspects. When the game is done I don't need to see the coaches walking off the court or random fans in the stands. I want to see the players embracing. I'd love to see more bench reactions to big plays and definitely don't be missing much game action. Seeing the team cheering one another on or celebrating is a great thing we as fans love. It drives me crazy with the jays when the team homers we see them running the bases and as soon as they reach the dugout and pull out the homerun jacket, that's when we show the replay...

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM Forums mobile app
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#276 » by LascelleL » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:05 pm

canz55 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
digitalallstar wrote:What's up with all this complaining about the broadcast lately? When I'm watching I'm so focused on the gameplay I don't even realise people are talking over the action. We have what we have. Live with it and enjoy the actual sport that's happening before your eyes.

This is exactly the right stance. The non-sexist, non-racist and non-body-shaming position.

I enjoy hearing what opposing teams' commentators say about the Raps, and listen to their broadcasts the next morning (after League Pass strips the ads out). But I don't even see the point of comparing them to our broadcasts. Except ... I noticed years ago that they were more diverse than the Raptors broadcasts (think Stephanie Ready in Charlotte).

And now Raptors broadcasts are more diverse. Kayla is bringing the flava "with her full chest". And that makes me happy.
Why is diversity the end goal in everything? What happened to bringing in the best people regardless of gender or race?

Was Paul Jones hired as a colour commentator in 1995 because he was black? I thought he was hired because he's excellent at what he does and brings a wealth of knowledge to the live radio broadcast. I personally could never listen to a fan 590 broadcast without Paul Jones now because I've heard his voice for over 20+ years.
Diversity matters because we're in a society where mediocre White men fail upwards. (See Doug Ford)

You assume that Diversity means the best candidate didn't win the Job. Why do you assume the right person for the job is white?

People always complain about Diversity hires but more often than not these Diversity hires are the most qualified people in the pool because of all the bull and adversity they have to overcome.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,789

Post#277 » by Duffman100 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:18 pm

Been a problem since literally game 1 of Raptors existence.

It’s got better but still…
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#278 » by RaptorReloaded » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:42 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

I don’t know the exact terms or roles but isn’t there supposed to be some sort of maestro or conductor that coordinates which cameras to use and when? Is this a human error problem or do our broadcasts lack certain technology that allows them to grab replays quicker? It’s been a theory of mine that Rogers and bell have cut corners and costs when it comes to the Raptors. The wide shot looks barely 720p on my 4K.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,106

Post#279 » by C Court » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

I don’t know how many lazy inbound turnovers we missed back in the day when Amir would inbound after a made basket without looking. Then the producer is scrambling to find a replay from another angle.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#280 » by LascelleL » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:04 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:

Seems pretty draconian

Return to Toronto Raptors