ImageImageImageImageImage

Freddy All Star getting a lot of publicity ( The void with KOC)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,676

Re: Freddy All Star getting a lot of publicity ( The void with KOC) 

Post#21 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 am

Yeah, it's hard to complain with how he's been playing the last little while.

Kevin O'Connor does some good work over at the Ringer too. Thanks for posting it.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,768

Post#22 » by Los_29 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 am

mdenny wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Los_29 wrote:According to one RealGM'er, Freddy "the Stat Padder" VanVleet.

Role poster.

Pounding the keyboard.

That’s a good point actually. He claims Fred stat pads and pounds the rock while in reality as a poster he is very much what he thinks Fred is as a player. Post pads and pounds the keyboard.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#23 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:33 am

Los_29 wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Role poster.

Pounding the keyboard.

That’s a good point actually. He claims Fred stat pads and pounds the rock while in reality as a poster he is very much what he thinks Fred is as a player. Post pads and pounds the keyboard.

Fred's stats directly correlate to winning. He does what's necessary to win. Sometimes that means scoring. He's not the player who waits for the buzzer to lob a full court attempt to save their shooting percentage. Thats what stat padders do. Fred makes a genuine attempt whenever he can.

It's one of many signs that indicate whether someone is a stat padder or not.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,768

Post#24 » by Los_29 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:35 am

mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Pounding the keyboard.

Fred's stats directly correlate to winning. He does what's necessary to win. Sometimes that means scoring. He's not the player who waits for the buzzer to lob a full court attempt to save their shooting percentage. Thats what stat padders do. Fred makes a genuine attempt whenever he can.

Exactly. Not to mention Fred is like 8-2 in the games he apparently padded his stats in and players who pad their stats usually don’t have the 2nd best bet rating in the league.

It’s an absolutely outrageous take.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#25 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 am

Los_29 wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Exactly. Not to mention Fred is like 8-2 in the games he apparently padded his stats in and players who pad their stats usually don’t have the 2nd best bet rating in the league.

It’s an absolutely outrageous take.

I'm not suggesting fred is an mvp candidate at this point....but his contribution to the team and winning basketball is much more mvp-like than it is stat-padder type.

But i bet fred would be in the top 20 got mvp consideration. His value to the raptors is HUGE. He's the only player we have....that we'd be a bottom lottery team without.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,193

Post#26 » by canada_dry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 am

Duffman100 wrote:Not trying to bait him / you, but what is Boogie saying these days about Fred?
Not sure. He wasn't the one i was referring to lol. The other resident fvv hater.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,294

Post#27 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:37 am

canada_dry wrote:
Freddy role player!

Freddie 2Guard?

Freddie OffBall?

definitely not a stat padder though. I've been critical of certain things but never that
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#28 » by Ref_from_hell » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:41 am

He'S a sTat paDdeR
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 26,895

Post#29 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:40 am

Ref_from_hell wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Oh my lord. They just don't stop.

Said this before and i'll say it again. I have been wrong about players a million times. I thought demar was gonna slowly fade out. I was wrong. I thought joey graham showed alot of promise in his rookie season. Wrong. I thought demarre carroll was a great pickup for us lol. Wrong. I thought Khris Middleton would never win a chip. Wrong.

There's nothing wrong with having an inaccurate assessment of a player. There IS something wrong in spamming the boards for months, even years, with outright hate. And it's also illuminating when u can't just fess up to being surprised or acknowledging an error in perception and continually update your talking points rather than just accept the results.

The large majority of ppl who doubted fred and flirted with some fred hate from time to time have done what normal ppl do: acknowledged that he's far exceeded expectations.

It's possible i was the MOST optimistic about fred around here and i didnt see THIS season happening. And i don't think fred is done yet. He's figuring stuff out on a cerebral level that goes beyond his physical limitations. At this point...he may be on his way to being the best 2 way point guard in the league.

It's a beautiful thing to see.

I would argue that most Fred haters have even come to terms with it. It's just one individual really. And his opinion will never change. Well actually technically it's two people. I forgot the one that's hated Fred for years and thought Flynn and Delon would be better LOL

I’m almost certain you could find posts of mine saying FVV would never do exactly what he’s currently doing. And now I like him.

Some people just can’t admit they were wrong
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,250

Post#30 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 am

Nothing new. Thorpe also said the east starter is between Trae and Fred and Lowe called him an all-star lock. We should start worrying about the next contract, it's going to be big.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#31 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:00 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Said this before and i'll say it again. I have been wrong about players a million times. I thought demar was gonna slowly fade out. I was wrong. I thought joey graham showed alot of promise in his rookie season. Wrong. I thought demarre carroll was a great pickup for us lol. Wrong. I thought Khris Middleton would never win a chip. Wrong.

There's nothing wrong with having an inaccurate assessment of a player. There IS something wrong in spamming the boards for months, even years, with outright hate. And it's also illuminating when u can't just fess up to being surprised or acknowledging an error in perception and continually update your talking points rather than just accept the results.

The large majority of ppl who doubted fred and flirted with some fred hate from time to time have done what normal ppl do: acknowledged that he's far exceeded expectations.

It's possible i was the MOST optimistic about fred around here and i didnt see THIS season happening. And i don't think fred is done yet. He's figuring stuff out on a cerebral level that goes beyond his physical limitations. At this point...he may be on his way to being the best 2 way point guard in the league.

I would argue that most Fred haters have even come to terms with it. It's just one individual really. And his opinion will never change. Well actually technically it's two people. I forgot the one that's hated Fred for years and thought Flynn and Delon would be better LOL

I’m almost certain you could find posts of mine saying FVV would never do exactly what he’s currently doing. And now I like him.

Some people just can’t admit they were wrong

Me too. As much as i have been a huge fan...i kinda figured he was a finished product. Nope. Wrong about fred again lol.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,782

Post#32 » by DelAbbot » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:03 am

ForeverTFC wrote:Nothing new. Thorpe also said the east starter is between Trae and Fred and Lowe called him an all-star lock. We should start worrying about the next contract, it's going to be big.

AAV 30M - the Kyle Lowry extension
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#33 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 am

Ref_from_hell wrote:

He'S a sTat paDdeR

I found out that advanced stats have a "caused turnover" number and fred averages 3 per game.

That's some bullcrap. He causes more turnovers than that. They just don't keep track of those numbers properly. Nba defensive stats are the worst in sports in attributing the right plays to the right guys.

I'm sure the team analytics guys are doing it.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#34 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:11 am

ForeverTFC wrote:Nothing new. Thorpe also said the east starter is between Trae and Fred and Lowe called him an all-star lock. We should start worrying about the next contract, it's going to be big.

Fred's the last contract we should worry about. Sign him. It's the other guys we should worry about. Fred produces wins. We will rue the day we let him go.

Also....david thorpe might be the best NBA pundit in the whole nba universe. Some team should hire him. Preferably the raps.
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#35 » by 10giz » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 am

He's the hardest working player in the NBA right now nd doing it as one of the smallest and least impressively athletic to boot.

Leading his team as the main scorer, distributor, 3 point threat while being one of the best defensive players in the league at his position.

1st in MPG. 1st in distance traveled. 2nd in deflections and loose balls recovered. He's the best volume 3 point shooter in the league outside of Steph. All this while being 40th in the league in TO/G.

On top of all of this he's doing it while being thrust into a primary leadership position while not only pos career numbers across the board, but also notably increasing his efficiency (minus those drives).

Regardless of publicity, I couldn't imagine any coach or player not wanting this guy on their team.

Proud to have this guy on our team and I hope he stays for awhile.
Brettfinch
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#36 » by Brettfinch » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:47 am

“6'1 gaurd" lost all credibility

/s

Sent from my SM-N986W using RealGM mobile app
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,889

Post#37 » by vulture » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Not trying to bait him / you, but what is Boogie saying these days about Fred?

Delon and norm are still better than Fred.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 931

Post#38 » by raptorforlife88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:51 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-jan-14-2022-edition

Listed in the next 5 for the MVP ladder. Statistically and perception wise around the league, Fred has been a top 15ish player in the league this year, which is amazing.
chazeemodo
Junior
And1: 52

Post#39 » by chazeemodo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:58 pm

One of the best posts I’ve ever seen on this board; I believed in Joey, believed that Carroll was a Lebron stopper but hey we have had some great players blossom here. Can the hate and enjoy watching a great player making big strides with us. So many negative badgers pollute this forum. Thanks for this refreshing post.
mdenny wrote:

Mrhankey123
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Post#40 » by Mrhankey123 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:18 pm

Always believed in Fred. Given the circumstances (increased workload, increased playmaking and scoring required) he more than lived up to the expectations. Just hope everyone keeps the positivity when he goes through an inevitable rough patch during the season. Just a couple months ago many were asking him to be traded :nonono: . Glad to see he is playing the best basketball of his career leading up to the ASB though - would love to see him get the nod.
Maytricks Championship 2019

Return to Toronto Raptors