ImageImageImageImageImage

[Fischer] Toronto A Team To Keep An Eye On For Myles Turner Trade

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Re: [Fischer] Toronto A Team To Keep An Eye On For Myles Turner Trade 

Post#181 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:15 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
No first coming to Toronto - I would send protected first back.

So OG + protected FRP for Turner and Duarte?
I love OG but that would sort of address our 2 biggest weaknesses.

Yeah, I think this is fair for both teams.

But it really depends on how highly Indiana thinks of Duarte. It is possible giving up a 1st rounder is a bit overkill for the Raptors, but this just sets this roster up so perfect, that i would do it.

how is this fair? in what world is this fair? og is flat out more valuable than both. og is the type of guy you put in a trade for a bonafide star
CoinTossRoss31
Rookie
And1: 1,253

Post#182 » by CoinTossRoss31 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 pm

OG for Duarte, Turner + option for us to swap picks with Indiana in this year's draft.

That's the minimum if we are talking about OG
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#183 » by Jadoogar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:

Yeah, I think this is fair for both teams.

But it really depends on how highly Indiana thinks of Duarte. It is possible giving up a 1st rounder is a bit overkill for the Raptors, but this just sets this roster up so perfect, that i would do it.

Duarte is a nice player but he's a 24yo rookie, he's not some amazing prospect with allstar potential.
i would be hesitant but i do agree, this is getting closer to fair value
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,782

Post#184 » by Zeno » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
Turner, Duarte and IND 1st unprotected would be a no brainer for Toronto. But I would be shocked if Indiana makes such an offer.

There is no way I'd give up a 1st and OG and not get the clear best player in the deal. So I could maybe see Turner+Duarte for OG, but I wouldn't be thrilled. We got OG for 2 more years plus an option so no need to force it. I would probably need draft compensation on top going the Raps way to be honest even though I know that wouldn't be "fair"
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
aroc23
Junior
And1: 355

Post#185 » by aroc23 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
aroc23 wrote:I love OG, but come on people! Imagine rolling with this team (trading OG and Malachi for Turner and Duarte):

Starters
FVV
GTJ
Scottie
Pascal
Turner

Bench
Banton
Duarte / Svi
Yuta / Champangie
Precious / Boucher
Birch

That trade addresses the 2 biggest issues (the centre spot and scoring off the bench), and it does it by adding a 24 year old locked up long term and a 25 year old who is looking to be the main man in the middle, which he would be here.

I would try and flip Boucher or Birch (preferably Boucher) for a back PG or wing who can facilitate, and the roster would be perfectly balanced. Come playoff time you only need 8-9 guys anyway, which you have with the starters + Precious / Duarte / Birch.

Financially it helps because 1) OG will likely get paid more than Turner long term; and 2) you have a bench scorer (Duarte) locked up until 2025 at $4 million a year! We have to face facts: we cannot afford all 5 current starters plus a competent bench without getting some cheap pieces like Duarte.
This would be a treadmill type move. You give up the best young asset in a deal and you still aren't a true contender.

I'm not against trading OG, but it should be in a package for a star.

I personally think between the upside of Scottie and Duarte (obviously Scottie way more than Duarte) + a bigger role for Turner, that is the type of team that can grow into a Grizzlies / Jazz / Suns style contender. If Scottie can become even just a Jimmy Butler level player that team is contending in a couple years.

That being said, I can see why you feel this is a treadmill team. If Scottie ends up just being a Raptors Demar level player this team will be exiting before the finals even at its' peak.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#186 » by Dalek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:And more trade deadline rumours. Poetl would be an upgrade. 1 more year at $9.4M.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265443/Raptors-Interested-In-Trading-For-Jakob-Poeltl

This is kind of big news with Marc Stein reporting it, so it seems we can assume a couple things:

1. Toronto is in the market for a C given the rumored interest in Turner and Poeltl
2. The Birch/Achuiwa combo is not good enough to start given they are both coming off the bench since the winning began
3. Toronto is open to taking on future salary and being a tax team if both Turner and Poeltl are guys we are looking as they have significant future salary at least for next season
4. Not looking at rebuild project types, as both Turner and Poeltl are both low touch, high impact defenders
5. Analytics matter. Looking at Defensive Raptor analytics Poeltl and Turner were top five for Cs for last season

Obviously to acquire Poeltl is a cheaper move and likely doesn't cost much, but he can't shoot or hit freethrows so the impact is pretty marginal to that of Khem Birch on his best days. Not sure Poeltl works in the playoffs.

Turner is a bigger risk because of the cost to acquire. I also don't like his comments from December about his role, and he uses social media a bit too much, so he might be a head case. That said, there isn't too many other good options for upgrade.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#187 » by Ell Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm

Not exactly sure how I feel about it but I could see this, similar to ones other have mentioned:

Pacers - Horton-Tucker, Coby White OR Derrick Jones Jr. + 28 from Chicago, Lakers 2nd rounder
Lakers - Gary Trent Jr.
Raptors - Turner, Nunn,
Chicago- Boucher

Bulls have Dosunmu stepping up as a 4th guard behind Caruso and could really use Boucher as a backup 4 and smallball 5 option for when Bradley can't hack it against say Milwaukee. They'd have about 49M to spend on Lavine, Boucher and the MLE this summer to stay under the tax which seems like they could just about do it.

Pacers get Horton-Tucker to start at the 3 and either a late 1st or Coby White

Lakers are just a much more viable playoff team with Trent Jr. hitting 3s and guarding 2s.

Raptors get Turner and extend him instead of extending Trent.
Where's the D?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#188 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 pm

aroc23 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
aroc23 wrote:I love OG, but come on people! Imagine rolling with this team (trading OG and Malachi for Turner and Duarte):

Starters
FVV
GTJ
Scottie
Pascal
Turner

Bench
Banton
Duarte / Svi
Yuta / Champangie
Precious / Boucher
Birch

That trade addresses the 2 biggest issues (the centre spot and scoring off the bench), and it does it by adding a 24 year old locked up long term and a 25 year old who is looking to be the main man in the middle, which he would be here.

I would try and flip Boucher or Birch (preferably Boucher) for a back PG or wing who can facilitate, and the roster would be perfectly balanced. Come playoff time you only need 8-9 guys anyway, which you have with the starters + Precious / Duarte / Birch.

Financially it helps because 1) OG will likely get paid more than Turner long term; and 2) you have a bench scorer (Duarte) locked up until 2025 at $4 million a year! We have to face facts: we cannot afford all 5 current starters plus a competent bench without getting some cheap pieces like Duarte.
This would be a treadmill type move. You give up the best young asset in a deal and you still aren't a true contender.

I'm not against trading OG, but it should be in a package for a star.

I personally think between the upside of Scottie and Duarte (obviously Scottie way more than Duarte) + a bigger role for Turner, that is the type of team that can grow into a Grizzlies / Jazz / Suns style contender. If Scottie can become even just a Jimmy Butler level player that team is contending in a couple years.

That being said, I can see why you feel this is a treadmill team. If Scottie ends up just being a Raptors Demar level player this team will be exiting before the finals even at its' peak.
I think Turner is a solid starter and Duarte is a bench guy long term. I don't think either is a top 3/4 guy on a championship level team. Unless Barnes turns into Kawhi, I think that group tops out as a mid seeded playoff team that maybe gets out of the 1st round in a good year.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

[Fischer] Toronto A Team To Keep An Eye On For Myles Turner Trade 

Post#189 » by Sandman88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:28 pm

I’d rather trade pascal over OG. OG still has some room to grow while Siakam is who he is at 28 years old, a 3rd option on a championship team. If his shooting was back then he’d be more of a 2nd option, but I don’t see that getting back to where it was.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#190 » by ash_k » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:47 pm

The main point of trading for Turner would be to go big (our philosophy)
SG OG |SF Barnes| PF Pascal|C Turner
Thus just forget about OG and Pascal being included in any trade. Forget it.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#191 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 pm

ruckus wrote:Where's this Duarte talk coming from? No way Indiana gives up on Duarte. They're probably looking to offload Levert to give Duarte more time.

And I agree with Cynic that they're also looking for some kind of pick compensation as they look to have a bit of a rebuilding mindset.

I think the key here is that OG is actually just a month older than Duarte, and Duarte really isn't a player you build around. He's more of a support piece.

So yeah, I think the Pacers would definitely want something like OG and a 1st.

Turner/Birch/Aichuwa
Siakam/Boucher
Barnes/Wantanabe/Champagnie
Trent Jr./Duarte/Mykhailiuk
FVV/Dragic? or equivalent

Funny thing is, Dragic would nicely round up this roster if they could actually pull it off. I love our defensive potential with this lineup.

I mean is that team really worse than the Miami Heat who have so much hype?
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,617

Post#192 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 pm

OG to me is untouchable. Trading him will break my heart as a fan and make me lose interest in the team.

We would lose so much defense and glue without him it wouldn't be the same team anymore
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#193 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:OG to me is untouchable. Trading him will break my heart as a fan and make me lose interest in the team.

We would lose so much defense and glue without him it wouldn't be the same team anymore

I love OG too, but I think with the way Siakam and FVV are playing right now, I think OG probably became more of a possible tradeable asset. He's already a very good young player so you have to really make the right move, and we're not the ones being paid millions to assess that.

What I want to see is how Siakam and FVV play against actual good NBA rosters before jumping the gun. The last 6 wins all have asterisks on them and I don't mean that as a joke.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#194 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:21 pm

Go big or go home.

OG + GTJ + 2022 1st pick + 2023 pick swap + 2024 1st pick for Towns

Towns - 7'0
Boucher 6'9
Siakam 6'9
Barnes 6'8
VV 6'0
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#195 » by NotMyKawhi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm

how close are FVV and Pascal to Eastern Conference finals Lowry and DD?
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#196 » by Madhouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:how close are FVV and Pascal to Eastern Conference finals Lowry and DD?

pretty close the way they are playing but you need bench and Center. So if you fleece someone to get a bench and C and don't give up major pieces you have a very good basketball team
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#197 » by Jadoogar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:how close are FVV and Pascal to Eastern Conference finals Lowry and DD?

I don't think they are far off. But those teams had really deep benches (remember Siakam and FVV used to be part of that bench mob). Our current bench has no one good.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,325

Post#198 » by pilkoids » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Man, I've wanted to have Turner on this team for a while. Asking price might be too high. GTJ straight up?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#199 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Dalek wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:And more trade deadline rumours. Poetl would be an upgrade. 1 more year at $9.4M.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265443/Raptors-Interested-In-Trading-For-Jakob-Poeltl

This is kind of big news with Marc Stein reporting it, so it seems we can assume a couple things:

1. Toronto is in the market for a C given the rumored interest in Turner and Poeltl
2. The Birch/Achuiwa combo is not good enough to start given they are both coming off the bench since the winning began
3. Toronto is open to taking on future salary and being a tax team if both Turner and Poeltl are guys we are looking as they have significant future salary at least for next season
4. Not looking at rebuild project types, as both Turner and Poeltl are both low touch, high impact defenders
5. Analytics matter. Looking at Defensive Raptor analytics Poeltl and Turner were top five for Cs for last season

Obviously to acquire Poeltl is a cheaper move and likely doesn't cost much, but he can't shoot or hit freethrows so the impact is pretty marginal to that of Khem Birch on his best days. Not sure Poeltl works in the playoffs.

Turner is a bigger risk because of the cost to acquire. I also don't like his comments from December about his role, and he uses social media a bit too much, so he might be a head case. That said, there isn't too many other good options for upgrade.

I think we are only looking for either Turner or Poeltl. If the asking price for Turner is too high, maybe we go with Poeltl? But I don't even know Poeltl would be worth giving up asset for an upgrade.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#200 » by NotMyKawhi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

I don't think they are far off. But those teams had really deep benches (remember Siakam and FVV used to be part of that bench mob). Our current bench has no one good.

Lowry is still > FVV now but Pascal = DD

prime OG > JV
Barnes > young FVV
Trent > young Powell

young og > dragic
ibaka > Boucher
Delon > Flynn
Poeltl > Birch

Svi = Cj Miles

Return to Toronto Raptors