ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Winning Time: Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,818

Re: OT: Winning Time: Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO 

Post#21 » by Quattro » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:33 pm

I'm ok with it not being a documentary. I'm not ok with it being awful tv. It's boring, the character development is non existent and quite frankly, this show is not anywhere near HBO's usual standards.

Needless to say I was hugely disappointed as I was really excited about this show.
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Post#22 » by LarSiN » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:42 pm

Phenomenal show. I had no interest going in, but couldn't stop watching week to week. So good
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,443

Post#23 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:01 pm

This show is amazing. John C Reilly makes it. Adrien Brody is an amazing Pat Riley. Excited for next season
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#24 » by Mikistan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:16 pm

The characterizations make it very fun to watch, i like to imagine the things that Magic says in the show as tweets that magic makes now adays for an extra laugh
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,544

Post#25 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:55 pm

I enjoyed it. Will be waiting for the next season.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,993

Post#26 » by Coco Costanza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Quattro wrote:I'm ok with it not being a documentary. I'm not ok with it being awful tv. It's boring, the character development is non existent and quite frankly, this show is not anywhere near HBO's usual standards.

Needless to say I was hugely disappointed as I was really excited about this show.

Completely disagree with every single point, but to each his own.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
Coco Costanza
Analyst

Post#27 » by Coco Costanza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:32 pm

Jcity08 wrote:I enjoyed it. Will be waiting for the next season.

I'm curious where future seasons will go, as the first season is very much concerned about the business side of the Lakers. That the first season also ended with the Lakers winning the championship, I don't know where else there is to go from here.

Personally, I like the idea of exploring different teams/sports for future seasons. Like a Pistons season, an 86' Mets season.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,646

Post#28 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Never seen a team so thoroughly disrespect one of its greatest players, coaches, execs. Not to say Jerry West is a perfect infallible human being but he deserved/deserves much better from the Lakers considering what he provided them over the course of his professional life.

Nope, nope, wrong. If you've been following the Winning Time reaction, most people love this version of Jerry West. I understand the West family might be upset, but the show has created an entertaining version of him that has depth. He's been the highlight of what is turning out to be a great series.

Anyone who liked the false characterization of West is stupid. If you lived through this era and read all the SI articles and books as I did, the made up dramatic license bits, which the show is full of, make it annoying to watch. And in particular from everything I've read, Jerry West was considered a genius GM and nothing like the cartoonish character in the show.

The sad thing is, as with many historical movies on other topics, a series like this becomes what younger viewers think was the truth. I'm hoping Magic's upcoming documentary will set the record straight, but it probably won't get as many viewers. (Or maybe it's already out, not sure)

When Gary Vitti the team trainer quit as series consultant in protest, and West, Kareem and Magic all condemn the portrayals you know something is wrong
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,544

Post#29 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:12 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:I enjoyed it. Will be waiting for the next season.

I'm curious where future seasons will go, as the first season is very much concerned about the business side of the Lakers. That the first season also ended with the Lakers winning the championship, I don't know where else there is to go from here.

Personally, I like the idea of exploring different teams/sports for future seasons. Like a Pistons season, an 86' Mets season.

That would be damn cool. Maybe they could be their own shows though rather than a new season of Winning Time. Just have the use the formula of Winning Time.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Quattro
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Quattro » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm

If people are interested in learning more about Kareem (who I think is a fascinating dude), check out Kareem: Minority of One. Documentary about his life and career running on HBO. It was excellent.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,762

Post#31 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:57 pm

Jerry Wests portrayal was indeed stupid. Getting that pissed off over Magic taking the opening tip? Yeah right. Not watching the game at all and just pacing around in the tunnel? Too over the top. And was everyone that big of an A hole? That being said, I enjoyed everyone eventually rallying together but it felt rushed and focused too much on everyone hating one another. The basketball scenes were also bad but it had a retro quality to it.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Coco Costanza
Analyst

Post#32 » by Coco Costanza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:59 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Never seen a team so thoroughly disrespect one of its greatest players, coaches, execs. Not to say Jerry West is a perfect infallible human being but he deserved/deserves much better from the Lakers considering what he provided them over the course of his professional life.

Nope, nope, wrong. If you've been following the Winning Time reaction, most people love this version of Jerry West. I understand the West family might be upset, but the show has created an entertaining version of him that has depth. He's been the highlight of what is turning out to be a great series.

Anyone who liked the false characterization of West is stupid.

So most other fans of the show are all idiots, got it.

It's like you (and presumably everyone else with a problem with it) stopped watching after the first episode.

JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,848

Post#33 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 pm

I had zero problem with the way West was portrayed, his character was great.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#34 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:23 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:

It's like you (and presumably everyone else with a problem with it) stopped watching after the first episode.

I watched it all. The characterization of West remained inaccurate, and absurd.

But again, fans too young to have lived through that era won't know any better
Quattro
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Quattro » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:50 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:

I watched the entire season.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#36 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:48 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

It was inaccurate and absurd sure but they do notify watchers up front it's not a documentary and taking liberal artistic changes.

For anyone who just wants a fun show set in the past featuring their favorite sport it scratches the itch.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#37 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm

Mikistan wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:

It was inaccurate and absurd sure but they do notify watchers up front it's not a documentary and taking liberal artistic changes.

For anyone who just wants a fun show set in the past featuring their favorite sport it scratches the itch.

Sure they warned us. But the real story of West is he was too intense as a coach, but gave that up and became Sharman's AGM, then morphed into a genius GM when Sharman stepped down. And built the dynasty from the front office. He was not just hanging around the office like the series showed. They could have portrayed that fascinating real arc without all the made-up cartoonish swearing and ranting and smashing trophies and sneaking around behind the scenes. The real story would have made better more sophisticated drama, instead they went for cheap sensationalism that wasn't true.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,512

Post#38 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:31 pm

Season 2 is now showing. It's as entertaining as season 1 so far.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,558

Post#39 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:03 pm

Fun show. People here need to lighten up a little.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,801

Post#40 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:18 pm

Waiting impatiently for a season to go by quickly and see Riley take over and Showtime truly start.

Return to Toronto Raptors