ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Brunson vs Fred Vanvleet

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Re: Jalen Brunson vs Fred Vanvleet 

Post#41 » by pingpongrac » Sun May 8, 2022 6:30 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
wasn't Doncic hurt? hence the inflated FGA per game?

and the TS% of Brunson is .552 (RS is .583) vs FVV who is at .486, (RS .552)

Brunson is very comparable to FVV, people will probably be raggin on Brunson's defense if he played on the Raptors. lol

Luka was out the first few games. Since then, Brunson hasn't been deferring at all as noted by the 20 PPG on 17 FGA with 4 AST in 34 MPG in the last 6 games. Brunson going 0/3 in Q4 of G3 against the Jazz is a big reason why they lost that game and his combined 9/28 efforts in G1+G2 certainly doesn't scream "deferring".

I don't know why Brunson is very comparable to FVV other than the fact that they weren't high picks and they're a similar size. Brunson is a better inside/midrange scorer while FVV is a significantly better defender and outside scorer that is also a better playmaker. Their individual games really couldn't be any more different.

as playmakers, they are pretty similar. i.e. FVV has a Assist to Pass % of 10.7%. Brunson is at 9.6%, Chris Paul has 19% for comparison...their potential assists per pass is on par at 20.9% and 20.3%, respectively. Brunson also has a higher Ast/TOV ratio of 3.04 while FVV is at 2.55. Remember that FVV also has a higher USG% as well and Brunson plays with Doncic.

Their 3 point shooting is similar; Brunson at 37.3%, FVV at 37.7%, sure FVV has more volume on 3s but Brunson has a better offensive repertoire i.e. he shoots it better from everywhere than FVV and similar to FVV at 3s + similar pass to assist ratio.

Defense is probably the only thing FVV outshines Brunson at - definitely more fundamentally aware defensively. as someone said, Brunson is just better offensively, FVV is better defensively. so i guess you're right to some extent but offensively they are similar, with Brunson being younger and quicker than FVV.

Those numbers might say they are similar playmakers, but it still proves that FVV was a bit better. You also have to take into account that all of FVV's numbers, including his touches/passing numbers because he wasn't a drive threat, took a noticeable hit post-ASG due to the knee injury; his AST dropped from 7.0 to 5.7 and his potential AST dropped from 13.8 to 10.4 while his drives dropped from 14.0 to 9.5 despite playing similar minutes with a similar USG%. Brunson has a higher AST/TO ratio largely because he is playing with Luka and he isn't tasked with being a playmaker like FVV was for most of the season. Recall that FVV averaged 4.5 AST in 27 MPG with a 3.3 AST/TO ratio for his career prior to this season.

Regarding the shooting numbers, Brunson averaged ~3 3FGA whereas FVV averaged ~4 3FGM at a slightly higher percentage; FVV almost made as many threes (242) as Brunson attempted (252) this season despite playing 14 less games. Their midrange numbers are very similar on identical volume (1.4 FGM at 47% for Brunson vs 1.3 FGM at 45% for FVV), but Brunson is much better in the paint/finishing at the rim and that's about it. It is downright absurd to make the claim that they are comparable shooters because their percentages are similar without acknowledging FVV's jumpshot volume is more than 2x that of Brunson and FVV also takes significantly more difficult shots; 68% of Brunson's 3FGA are of the C&S variety vs 47% for FVV for example.

Brunson scored 46% of his points in the paint, 18% in the midrange, 22% behind the arc and 14% at the FT line whereas FVV scored 18% of his points in the paint, 13% in the midrange, 55% behind the arc and 14% at the FT line. Brunson does most of his damage inside while FVV does most of his damage outside. Brunson was the 3rd/4th option for most of the season while FVV was the 1st/2nd option and a primary ball-handler/playmaker for most of the season. They are just not similar offensively. It is pointless to compare their offensive efficiency when their roles and styles of play are polar opposites.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#42 » by Chandan » Sun May 8, 2022 6:33 am

if only fred stans apply their own "Fred at year 4 is better than Lowry at year 4" logic to Fred as well. Not that I use the same logic since progression isn't linear. But it's funny how that all flies out the window as soon as it's not in Fred's favor.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#43 » by pingpongrac » Sun May 8, 2022 6:45 am

pagal wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
pagal wrote:
He single-handedly won them game 2 without Luka. If BumVleet had ONE game like that there would be a statue of him at Dundas Square.

Then he went on to win game 3 for them, putting up the Mavs 2-1 in Luka's absence. Once Luka came back in games 4-6, he was complimentary and scored 24-25 in those games.

He was bad in games 1-2 against an excellent Suns team with DPOY runner-up, CP3, Ayton. Had a good game 3.

I watched every second of all of the games above. BumVleet has never had such stretch in playoffs or even regular season.

I've watched every second of the Mavs too aside from the last few minutes of their blowout win in G5 against Utah. I saw Brunson chuck the Mavs out of G1 then come back and will them to the win in G2. He scored a lot in G3, but the bench went 11/17 on 3FGA and was the main reason why Dallas won. The same kind of thing can be said for most of the playoffs in regards to Brunson. Dallas has been better on the offensive end (+2 points) and defensive end (-5 points) with Brunson OFF the floor.

And really? FVV has never had such stretches in the playoffs or the regular season? Did you forget about FVV hitting 7 threes in G5 against the Bucks (while being +28 in a 6-point win) or scoring 22 points (including a bit of dagger three) in our Championship-clinching game? What about his franchise-best 54 points on an historic 100 TS% last season or single-handedly willing us to wins against Washington, Philly, Milwaukee and Utah this season? FVV has had numerous other trademark performances on the defensive end too, like when he forced 10+ turnovers against Minnesota and Orlando last month or when he held Curry to 30% shooting (12/40 vs FVV and 41/88 vs everyone else) in the Finals.

You're just a hater and a troll. It's been 4+ years of you primarily posting about "BumVleet" / "VanTurd" being a bad player that makes the team worse which has repeatedly been proven to be insanely wrong. I honestly don't know how you even still have an account on here with all of your ridiculous posts wishing injury and ill-will on FVV.

I remember his stretch from game 1 of playoffs against Orlando till game 5 against the Bucks. Do you need a reminder? We could have lost to 76ers because of HIM refusing to stop chucking and the first 2 games against the Bucks too. Raps won games 3 and 4 INSPITE of him and because of Norm/Ibaka along with Kawhi/Pascal/Lowry, not BumVleet.

Against Minnesota and Orlando, LOL.

We can debate the rest but I never wished injury on him. Stop making **** up.

Lastly, having a different opinion means I shouldn't have an account? Grow up.

Maybe you didn't wish injury on FVV, but you posted repeatedly that you were thankful he was injured because we won a game without him.

People can have a different opinion, but that's not the issue. The issue is an absurd amount of your posts (literally 250 of ~1200 after a simple search) include "BumVleet" or "VanTurd" or some other childish variation of his last name while also calling his fans derogatory terms in a handful of them.

Get out of here with that "grow up" garbage. You're either a middle-aged person on a message board calling players by gross nicknames because you're jealous of their success or you're a teenage troll looking for a reaction. You are the one that needs to grow up.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#44 » by Darkseid » Sun May 8, 2022 7:27 am

Fvv is our captain
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#45 » by Ell Curry » Sun May 8, 2022 9:12 am

Raps in 4 wrote:FVV: +3.5 EPM/+4.5 RAPTOR
Brunson: +1.8 EPM/+2.0 RAPTOR

FVV is a much better player than Brunson. There is really nothing to compare. And those are FVV's season numbers, he was even more productive before the injury.

There's definitely a gap, but Brunson is 2 years younger and it's probably easier for him to improve at defence than Fred to become a good scorer inside the arc, though I remember reading that guards improve at finishing inside in their late 20s even though you'd figure they lose some jumping. Must be strength or skill I guess? Also we need scoring more than D in theory, though we did just give up a million points in the playoffs so who knows really. Also can't predict if Scottie will be a all-defense guy or just average.
Where's the D?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#46 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun May 8, 2022 12:50 pm

pingpongrac wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Luka was out the first few games. Since then, Brunson hasn't been deferring at all as noted by the 20 PPG on 17 FGA with 4 AST in 34 MPG in the last 6 games. Brunson going 0/3 in Q4 of G3 against the Jazz is a big reason why they lost that game and his combined 9/28 efforts in G1+G2 certainly doesn't scream "deferring".

I don't know why Brunson is very comparable to FVV other than the fact that they weren't high picks and they're a similar size. Brunson is a better inside/midrange scorer while FVV is a significantly better defender and outside scorer that is also a better playmaker. Their individual games really couldn't be any more different.

as playmakers, they are pretty similar. i.e. FVV has a Assist to Pass % of 10.7%. Brunson is at 9.6%, Chris Paul has 19% for comparison...their potential assists per pass is on par at 20.9% and 20.3%, respectively. Brunson also has a higher Ast/TOV ratio of 3.04 while FVV is at 2.55. Remember that FVV also has a higher USG% as well and Brunson plays with Doncic.

Their 3 point shooting is similar; Brunson at 37.3%, FVV at 37.7%, sure FVV has more volume on 3s but Brunson has a better offensive repertoire i.e. he shoots it better from everywhere than FVV and similar to FVV at 3s + similar pass to assist ratio.

Defense is probably the only thing FVV outshines Brunson at - definitely more fundamentally aware defensively. as someone said, Brunson is just better offensively, FVV is better defensively. so i guess you're right to some extent but offensively they are similar, with Brunson being younger and quicker than FVV.

Those numbers might say they are similar playmakers, but it still proves that FVV was a bit better. You also have to take into account that all of FVV's numbers, including his touches/passing numbers because he wasn't a drive threat, took a noticeable hit post-ASG due to the knee injury; his AST dropped from 7.0 to 5.7 and his potential AST dropped from 13.8 to 10.4 while his drives dropped from 14.0 to 9.5 despite playing similar minutes with a similar USG%. Brunson has a higher AST/TO ratio largely because he is playing with Luka and he isn't tasked with being a playmaker like FVV was for most of the season. Recall that FVV averaged 4.5 AST in 27 MPG with a 3.3 AST/TO ratio for his career prior to this season.

Regarding the shooting numbers, Brunson averaged ~3 3FGA whereas FVV averaged ~4 3FGM at a slightly higher percentage; FVV almost made as many threes (242) as Brunson attempted (252) this season despite playing 14 less games. Their midrange numbers are very similar on identical volume (1.4 FGM at 47% for Brunson vs 1.3 FGM at 45% for FVV), but Brunson is much better in the paint/finishing at the rim and that's about it. It is downright absurd to make the claim that they are comparable shooters because their percentages are similar without acknowledging FVV's jumpshot volume is more than 2x that of Brunson and FVV also takes significantly more difficult shots; 68% of Brunson's 3FGA are of the C&S variety vs 47% for FVV for example.

Brunson scored 46% of his points in the paint, 18% in the midrange, 22% behind the arc and 14% at the FT line whereas FVV scored 18% of his points in the paint, 13% in the midrange, 55% behind the arc and 14% at the FT line. Brunson does most of his damage inside while FVV does most of his damage outside. Brunson was the 3rd/4th option for most of the season while FVV was the 1st/2nd option and a primary ball-handler/playmaker for most of the season. They are just not similar offensively. It is pointless to compare their offensive efficiency when their roles and styles of play are polar opposites.

Sure their play styles are a little different and their roles are different to some extent but it’s not like Brunson isn’t the 1st/2nd option at times on the court. And the way the Raptors were trending towards the end of the season, FVV won’t be in that 1st/2nd role much longer. Siakam and Barnes are probably going to move into the primary ball handler role and move FVV into a more effective off-ball guard.

I mean the whole point of trying to compare them is because Brunson is taking on more of the offensive load in the playoffs, which has sparked this conversation on the scale of Brunson being more of a lead guard. And down the road - how much he is going to get paid etc. and projecting it as a lead guard and ultimately, getting compared to FVV, which I believe was done recently on tv.

If Brunson turns to out be a really good guard, it’s inevitable to compare him to FVV on the offensive end. We might as well start now. Not many lead guards right now as small as those two.

I mean you could extrapolate his stats when he doesn’t play with Doncic in the RS. He averages 20-4-8 in 17 games. Those are comparable numbers to FVV from a surface level.

But really, all this conversation is leading to: FVV definitely needs to perform in the playoffs next year for us to have a chance. He gets smothered as the #2 option right now (and that he has been hurt). But hopefully teams will be more focused on Barnes and Siakam next year, which opens up the floor for FVV. He said it himself the best, he went from underrated to overrated. He knows he needs to perform in the playoffs and to get better as a player.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,575

Post#47 » by bluerap23 » Sun May 8, 2022 1:27 pm

pingpongrac wrote:They are not very similar players in very similar situations though. Brunson is playing alongside arguably a top 3 offensive player in the league and he was the 3rd/4th option most of the season (Porzingis pre-trade and THJ pre-injury), so he already has a bit of a leg up on FVV there who was generally game-planned as a top 2 option. Brunson also scores most of his points in the paint or midrange (10.5 of 16.3 PPG) whereas FVV scores most of his points behind the three-point line (11.2 of 20.3 PPG). On the other end, Brunson is a mediocre defender at best whereas FVV has been a very good defender and could potentially make an All-Defence team.

Brunson had some incredible games against Utah when he roasted Mitchell (57 FG%), Conley (56 FG%) and House (50 FG%) for about half of his points in the series, but that's about as good as he will ever play. On the flip side, FVV was very clearly injured against the Sixers. About the only thing Brunson does better than FVV is score within ~10 feet. Recency bias is very clear here.

This. I actually think Brunson may be a better fit on our current team and Fred would be a better fit on the Mavs. If Fred played with Luka he would have Steph curry like 3pt numbers.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#48 » by Pooh_Jeter » Sun May 8, 2022 7:03 pm

It's funny how now that FVV has an all star selection to his name suddenly its the difference between him and so many other players.

FVV has made a lot of strides in his play since he came into the league, but let's be real he has also been groomed into a top option on a team where he gets as many minutes and usage as he can handle. His body literally broke down, so he technically got more than he could handle this season.

You could put so many guards of similar quality in this position with the infrastructure the Raptors have (quality coach and stable management) and they would do as good, if not better than FVV has.

Brunson is an easy example, but you don't think Poole or Maxey who have been breakout stars wouldn't be easy all-stars in the same situation?

Too many people confuse opportunity with actual talent level.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,060

Post#49 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 8, 2022 7:22 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's funny how now that FVV has an all star selection to his name suddenly its the difference between him and so many other players.

FVV has made a lot of strides in his play since he came into the league, but let's be real he has also been groomed into a top option on a team where he gets as many minutes and usage as he can handle. His body literally broke down, so he technically got more than he could handle this season.

You could put so many guards of similar quality in this position with the infrastructure the Raptors have (quality coach and stable management) and they would do as good, if not better than FVV has.

Brunson is an easy example, but you don't think Poole or Maxey who have been breakout stars wouldn't be easy all-stars in the same situation?

Too many people confuse opportunity with actual talent level.

Yeah, Brown and Siakam weren't all stars this year, does this mean FVV is better than either of them ? Of course not.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#50 » by And1+2 » Sun May 8, 2022 7:53 pm

If Fred has a floater, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

/Sigh
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,060

Post#51 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 8, 2022 9:13 pm

And1+2 wrote:If Fred has a floater, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

/Sigh

Yep lol, doesn't even have to be an elite one like Trae Young, just a serviceable one and it'll do wonders for his game.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#52 » by TOStateofMind » Sun May 8, 2022 9:20 pm

Brunsons been having a good run in the playoffs but he’s been playing above his usual level especially vs the jazz.
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#53 » by Oakvillehoops » Sun May 8, 2022 9:51 pm

Sorry the post wasn’t to insist one player was better then another or whatever. Or a jab at Fred, because I think they’re both good. Just thought they were two interesting players to compare to each other
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#54 » by 720 » Sun May 8, 2022 9:52 pm

HumbleRen wrote:

/Sigh

Yep lol, doesn't even have to be an elite one like Trae Young, just a serviceable one and it'll do wonders for his game.

Early in the season I swear he tried a couple. But then stopped. :lol:
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,360

Post#55 » by tdotrep2 » Sun May 8, 2022 9:57 pm

yea, its jalen
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#56 » by NotMyKawhi » Sun May 8, 2022 11:18 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:
Oakvillehoops wrote:
Lmao Brunson isn’t a mediocrity. They’re both very good players. Brunson will make an all star team one day. Well, maybe not in the west

when you consider age Brunson is ahead of where fvv was

Brunson is making championship clinching threes in the NBA finals elimination games and locking up Steph Curry?

listen, he never had that chance yet. They weren't in the championship because of Fred van vleet. If anything he was one of the worst playoff players of all time where Bronson is right now, in the second round.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#57 » by Chandan » Mon May 9, 2022 2:56 am

/Sigh

if he could make a floater, he could make lobs. If he could make lob passes, he can make entry passes. :lol:
he just doesnt have the touch for it.
Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,863

Post#58 » by Caped Crusader » Mon May 9, 2022 3:05 am

Oakvillehoops wrote:Sorry the post wasn’t to insist one player was better then another or whatever. Or a jab at Fred, because I think they’re both good. Just thought they were two interesting players to compare to each other
You have nothing to apologize for. It was a solid post and very fair. Fred is not perfect as many of his supporters would like to think and should look to refine his game. He's a very flawed player and can afford to add some more tricks in his bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM Forums mobile app
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#59 » by bon » Mon May 9, 2022 6:20 am

Brunson is a baller but he's pretty much everything people here claim to hate about FVV lol. Short, not a playmaker, can be picked on defensively by bigger guys, and a streaky 3 point shooter. His finishing is better but the paint would be clogged here making him ineffective.

But of course in classic RealGM fashion, a good but not great player will get propped up to downplay our very own player of similar or higher caliber lol
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#60 » by sidsid » Mon May 9, 2022 7:05 pm

You put the right defender on these guys and they go away. Size liabilities will never change and they'll always have to justify time with offensive production in the playofffs, same as slow bigs.

Useful role players that you don't want to be paying 25-30 mil for.

Return to Toronto Raptors