ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Brunson vs Fred Vanvleet

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,499

Re: Jalen Brunson vs Fred Vanvleet 

Post#61 » by OakleyDokely » Mon May 9, 2022 7:07 pm

Can parents stop naming their kids Jalen.

Thank you.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Jalen Brunson vs Fred Vanvleet 

Post#62 » by Sandman88 » Mon May 9, 2022 7:57 pm

I’d rather have Brunson. Average defender but a a far better offensive player, and he’s younger.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,826

Post#63 » by Los_29 » Mon May 9, 2022 8:18 pm

Sandman88 wrote:I’d rather have Brunson. Average defender but a a far better offensive player, and he’s younger.

The problem is Brunson isn't better than Fred offensively and the difference defensively is MASSIVE.

I really don't think people realize how silly this comparison is.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#64 » by Dalek » Mon May 9, 2022 8:48 pm

It is funny that Brunson and VanVleet are getting comped together. They are pretty different stylistically, but the one thing I have always felt about both is that they are in the Kyle Lowry mold of PGs.

Brunson is the same type of body hunter Lowry was on offense putting his body on the line every time attacking the basket, and taking big physical hits from defenders. Brunson is a bit like Lowry when he first came to the NBA, just a bowling ball. Both are Villanova guys, so it might be a Jay Wright trait.

VanVleet is more like the late model Lowry, with his smart swipes on defense and timely shooting, although his pull-up three game is nowhere near Lowry's shooting.

I wouldn't trade one for the other because both have flaws. FVV lately has fallen a bit out with people because he played hurt (like stubborn Lowry) and it was to the detriment of the team. FVV is also super short and not fast so you worry long-term how he will age, especially if injuries keep nagging.

Brunson is fairly young and a good size for a combo PG, but I don't doubt he benefits from playing beside Luka. Although he sure showed something in the first round of the playoffs. My bet is he ends up in NY.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#65 » by ontnut » Mon May 9, 2022 11:23 pm

Fred fits our team better.
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#66 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am

The real issue with Fred is he can't stay healthy. Its a problem.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#67 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue May 10, 2022 11:02 am

OhCanada1091 wrote:The real issue with Fred is he can't stay healthy. Its a problem.

Big risk for Raptors... what will Masai do this off-season? Extend? Wait?.... explore trades?
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#68 » by agkagk » Tue May 10, 2022 12:24 pm

Fred is better. Stop trying to be cute. Appreciate what you have.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#69 » by agkagk » Tue May 10, 2022 12:26 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:The real issue with Fred is he can't stay healthy. Its a problem.

He has been overplayed the past two years and due to covid he didn’t get a proper recovery period the previous offseason.

Og and Fred need a proper backup. That’s all.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#70 » by LastNameEver » Tue May 10, 2022 12:53 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Can parents stop naming their kids Jalen.

Thank you.

It seems to be working out for the parents tremendously..
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#71 » by pagal » Wed May 11, 2022 3:31 am

pingpongrac wrote:
pagal wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
I've watched every second of the Mavs too aside from the last few minutes of their blowout win in G5 against Utah. I saw Brunson chuck the Mavs out of G1 then come back and will them to the win in G2. He scored a lot in G3, but the bench went 11/17 on 3FGA and was the main reason why Dallas won. The same kind of thing can be said for most of the playoffs in regards to Brunson. Dallas has been better on the offensive end (+2 points) and defensive end (-5 points) with Brunson OFF the floor.

And really? FVV has never had such stretches in the playoffs or the regular season? Did you forget about FVV hitting 7 threes in G5 against the Bucks (while being +28 in a 6-point win) or scoring 22 points (including a bit of dagger three) in our Championship-clinching game? What about his franchise-best 54 points on an historic 100 TS% last season or single-handedly willing us to wins against Washington, Philly, Milwaukee and Utah this season? FVV has had numerous other trademark performances on the defensive end too, like when he forced 10+ turnovers against Minnesota and Orlando last month or when he held Curry to 30% shooting (12/40 vs FVV and 41/88 vs everyone else) in the Finals.

You're just a hater and a troll. It's been 4+ years of you primarily posting about "BumVleet" / "VanTurd" being a bad player that makes the team worse which has repeatedly been proven to be insanely wrong. I honestly don't know how you even still have an account on here with all of your ridiculous posts wishing injury and ill-will on FVV.

I remember his stretch from game 1 of playoffs against Orlando till game 5 against the Bucks. Do you need a reminder? We could have lost to 76ers because of HIM refusing to stop chucking and the first 2 games against the Bucks too. Raps won games 3 and 4 INSPITE of him and because of Norm/Ibaka along with Kawhi/Pascal/Lowry, not BumVleet.

Against Minnesota and Orlando, LOL.

We can debate the rest but I never wished injury on him. Stop making **** up.

Lastly, having a different opinion means I shouldn't have an account? Grow up.

Maybe you didn't wish injury on FVV, but you posted repeatedly that you were thankful he was injured because we won a game without him.

People can have a different opinion, but that's not the issue. The issue is an absurd amount of your posts (literally 250 of ~1200 after a simple search) include "BumVleet" or "VanTurd" or some other childish variation of his last name while also calling his fans derogatory terms in a handful of them.

Get out of here with that "grow up" garbage. You're either a middle-aged person on a message board calling players by gross nicknames because you're jealous of their success or you're a teenage troll looking for a reaction. You are the one that needs to grow up.

I didn't reply because I'm sure one of the mods here would love to give me a strike for insulting your fragile ego but just wanted to clarify again for the dimwitted amongst us:

Did I wish injury upon him? NO.
Did I express happiness over him getting hurt? NO.
Was I happy that he wouldn't be playing and chucking, hence increasing our chances of avoiding yet another embarrassing sweep? **** YES.

If you can't see the difference, we will simply agree to disagree. Peace.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,614

Post#72 » by WaltFrazier » Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 am

It's only one game, and I saw this when the game was tight, before the Suns pulled away. But in the first half Brunson, not Doncic but Brunson, was targeting Chris Paul by posting him up. Successfully, scoring and drawing fouls.

Currently Brunson has 19 and CP has 4 points. You would never have Fred try to wear out and target Paul by posting him up. He couldn't do it.

I know Phoenix is going to win so it doesn't matter, but I thought it was an interesting contrast between something Brunson can do and Fred couldn't.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#73 » by pagal » Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 am

WaltFrazier wrote:It's only one game, and I saw this when the game was tight, before the Suns pulled away. But in the first half Brunson, not Doncic but Brunson, was targeting Chris Paul by posting him up. Successfully, scoring and drawing fouls.

Currently Brunson has 19 and CP has 4 points. You would never have Fred try to wear out and target Paul by posting him up. He couldn't do it.

I know Phoenix is going to win so it doesn't matter, but I thought it was an interesting contrast between something Brunson can do and Fred couldn't.

Don't you know that if he were to play with Doncic he'd be going Steph Curry and tiring out CP3 by hitting twenty+ 3s a game???????????

You must be a casual like me too, wait till the enlightened ones chime in.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,004

Post#74 » by DelAbbot » Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 am

WaltFrazier wrote:It's only one game, and I saw this when the game was tight, before the Suns pulled away. But in the first half Brunson, not Doncic but Brunson, was targeting Chris Paul by posting him up. Successfully, scoring and drawing fouls.

Has FVV ever posted up anyone ever? I can't remember.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,004

Post#75 » by DelAbbot » Wed May 11, 2022 4:54 am

pagal wrote:

Don't you know that if he were to play with Doncic he'd be going Steph Curry and tiring out CP3 by hitting twenty+ 3s a game???????????

You must be a casual like me too, wait till the enlightened ones chime in.

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#76 » by Bruin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm

Obviously means absolutely nothing but Brunson is in Toronto right now lol. Apparently he’s with Kleber walking through the city
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,826

Post#77 » by Los_29 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Bruin wrote:Obviously means absolutely nothing but Brunson is in Toronto right now lol. Apparently he’s with Kleber walking through the city

I’m surprised that quite a few players from around the league come up here in the summer to train. I know CJ McCollum came up here a lot and he mentioned quite a few other NBA players do as well.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,614

Post#78 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 pm

Bruin wrote:Obviously means absolutely nothing but Brunson is in Toronto right now lol. Apparently he’s with Kleber walking through the city

As a free agent, might it not mean something, just maybe?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,568

Post#79 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:51 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

As a free agent, might it not mean something, just maybe?

No Avenue for Brunson here unless FVV is outgoing. That doesn't make much sense for either sides.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,416

Post#80 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 pm

nice to see

Return to Toronto Raptors