ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Harris signs with CEBL Scarborough Shooting Stars (UPDATED with highlights from Italy)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,517

Re: Jalen Harris signs with CEBL Scarborough Shooting Stars 

Post#41 » by WaltFrazier » Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 am

They play at Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre. Anyone know much about the arena? My understanding is the teams all play in smallish hockey arenas, not college gyms, is that right? I assume to have a more professional atmosphere with a portable floor.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,151

Post#42 » by HiJiNX » Wed May 25, 2022 4:03 am

DG88 wrote:

When asked about why he signed with the Scarborough Shooting Stars it seemed like he was trying not to say the real reason why. I’m going to assume that he and the Raptors have a hush hush deal that they’re not allowed to talk about.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,348

Post#43 » by tanuki1031 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:11 am

Raptors sick and tired of other teams poaching from the 905.

Local non-NBA developmental league activated :lol:
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#44 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed May 25, 2022 6:04 am

tanuki1031 wrote:Raptors sick and tired of other teams poaching from the 905.

Interesting. Maybe? Imagine you could be a fly on the wall for all the juicy behind the scenes stuff in an nba organizaiton.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#45 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm

tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,348

Post#46 » by tanuki1031 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:01 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
tanuki1031 wrote:Raptors sick and tired of other teams poaching from the 905.

Interesting. Maybe? Imagine you could be a fly on the wall for all the juicy behind the scenes stuff in an nba organizaiton.

Hardly a coincidence that GS poached Jama and GP2 fresh off GL DPOY and right before that Lakers poached Murmuys, who is now with the Magic and Weltmann.

Raptors have been perennial high achievers and 905 have been champion, top seed, or conference finalists for the past five seasons. NBA teams want our secret sauce.

Matt Thomas, Alize Johnson, SJ, Brissett, McKinnie, Watson all found spots with contending teams (Nets, Lakers, Warriors Bulls) or teams in a rebuild looking for an identity (OKC, Pacers).
Kind of like how in football teams signed washed players to practice rosters to pick their brains about what their past team did before cutting them.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#47 » by TrustFundBaby » Wed May 25, 2022 11:27 pm

I'd be surprised if he's brought back. The prospect cupboard was really bare at the time we took him into Tampa. Since then they've added Barnes, Banton, Champagni, and Johnson. And of course #33 this year and potentially another UDFA.

When your a fringe player like Harris ,you can't afford to lose a season of development like he just did. Can't see the FO include him in their plans.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#48 » by mtcan » Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 pm

TrustFundBaby wrote:I'd be surprised if he's brought back. The prospect cupboard was really bare at the time we took him into Tampa. Since then they've added Barnes, Banton, Champagni, and Johnson. And of course #33 this year and potentially another UDFA.

When your a fringe player like Harris ,you can't afford to lose a season of development like he just did. Can't see the FO include him in their plans.

I think he'd have a role on this team because at 24 years old...he can do something Barnes, Banton, Champagnie and Johnson can't...which is shoot and create his own shot.

Until Banton is able to translate his dominant G-League performances to the NBA game...you need shooting and shot creation off the bench. This was the Raptors' biggest deficiency this past season. Jalen was able to get his shot off and get to the basket in the games he played during the Tampa season...and so no reason he can't now.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#49 » by Bankai » Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 pm

Scarborough Shooting Stars has J Cole and Jalen Harris... super team?
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#50 » by TrustFundBaby » Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 am

mtcan wrote:
TrustFundBaby wrote:I'd be surprised if he's brought back. The prospect cupboard was really bare at the time we took him into Tampa. Since then they've added Barnes, Banton, Champagni, and Johnson. And of course #33 this year and potentially another UDFA.

I think he'd have a role on this team because at 24 years old...he can do something Barnes, Banton, Champagnie and Johnson can't...which is shoot and create his own shot.

Until Banton is able to translate his dominant G-League performances to the NBA game...you need shooting and shot creation off the bench. This was the Raptors' biggest deficiency this past season. Jalen was able to get his shot off and get to the basket in the games he played during the Tampa season...and so no reason he can't now.

I actually think Johnson is his replacement. 6'5 combo guard, shoots 7 3s a game down in the G League and college ( 42% NCAA, and 30% G League). He has potential as a shooter. Your right that Banton Champagni and Barnes are of a different type and are not in his way that much.

Plus whoever we take this year could be another scoring type of guard.

To me, he and Flynn had some good games down the stretch of the tank, and we all saw Flynn struggle hard this year. I don't think Harris showed enough to be a lock on the roster personally.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#51 » by mtcan » Thu May 26, 2022 12:32 am

TrustFundBaby wrote:
mtcan wrote:

I actually think Johnson is his replacement. 6'5 combo guard, shoots 7 3s a game down in the G League and college ( 42% NCAA, and 30% G League). He has potential as a shooter. Your right that Banton Champagni and Barnes are of a different type and are not in his way that much.

To me, he and Flynn had some good games down the stretch of the tank, and we all saw Flynn struggle hard this year. I don't think Harris showed enough to be a lock on the roster personally.

David Johnson has shown the least of the rookies (obviously Barnes who won't be included any longer because he's not at the same level as the other rooks). I don't know if David Johnson has a future with the organization to be honest.

Like I said...until Banton is able to score in with the big club in same way as he did in the G-League and until Champagnie improves his shooting...no reason why we can't keep Jalen Harris at a minimum contract around because he has more experience and his shooting is that much more developed than the rookies.

I have seen Jalen be able to get his shot off against NBA players with some degree of consistency. I haven't seen Banton, Champagnie and Johnson be able to do that yet. That puts Harris ahead of those guys for now.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,777

Post#52 » by nestea » Thu May 26, 2022 2:36 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

People were convinced this dude was in town to sign with the Raptors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He just might. I'm sure they'll have eyes on him
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
nestea
Veteran

Post#53 » by nestea » Thu May 26, 2022 2:49 am

WaltFrazier wrote:They play at Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre. Anyone know much about the arena? My understanding is the teams all play in smallish hockey arenas, not college gyms, is that right? I assume to have a more professional atmosphere with a portable floor.

They play in gyms. The other Canadian league play in arenas. They play fall/ winter.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,517

Post#54 » by WaltFrazier » Thu May 26, 2022 2:52 am

nestea wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:They play at Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre. Anyone know much about the arena? My understanding is the teams all play in smallish hockey arenas, not college gyms, is that right? I assume to have a more professional atmosphere with a portable floor.

They play in gyms. The other Canadian league play in arenas. They play fall/ winter.

Oh oh and here I thought this was THE Canadian pro league. Didn't know there were two. Are they connected?

Edit, so the NBL is down to 4 teams, all in Ontario. In playoffs now. Doesn't seem sustainable.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,560

Post#55 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:52 am

TrustFundBaby wrote:
mtcan wrote:

Harris is probably better than everyone on our team outside of our top 8.

He's better than Flynn David Johnson and Banton but Banton has the most potential out of them all.

Harris is better than Svi and Yuta, but Yuta is the best defender out of all of them.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
nestea
Veteran

Post#56 » by nestea » Thu May 26, 2022 2:56 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Probably a way for the Raptors to see if he's still got it.

It's only an off-season league

How does the CEBL compare to the G-League in terms of talent?

Maybe it's the J Cole signing but I just don't feel like the CEBL is a good measuring stick to see if Harris is NBA ready.
His numbers in Europe were very poor.

When does the CEBL season end? Maybe we can get him on the summer league squad?

G league has more talent. Most of cebl players play overseas during the winter months or the NBL of Canada. Most are div2,div3 league's they play in - Europe.
nestea
Veteran

Post#57 » by nestea » Thu May 26, 2022 3:02 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
nestea wrote:

Oh oh and here I thought this was THE Canadian pro league. Didn't know there were two. Are they connected?

Edit, so the NBL is down to 4 teams, all in Ontario. In playoffs now. Doesn't seem sustainable.

NBL Canada down to 4 teams due to other teams not surving covid. Teams in West coast, east coast. They'll probably be back next season.

Theyre not connected. Actually they don't like each other. Plenty of conflict.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,585

Post#58 » by Bruin » Thu May 26, 2022 12:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=NXv9VLOEYmA5RY-TQo9UOQ
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,585

Post#59 » by Bruin » Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm

KenoP13
Junior
And1: 176

Post#60 » by KenoP13 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:06 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
DG88 wrote:

When asked about why he signed with the Scarborough Shooting Stars it seemed like he was trying not to say the real reason why. I’m going to assume that he and the Raptors have a hush hush deal that they’re not allowed to talk about.

He kind of looks like a slightly malnourished version of Fred VanVleet.

Return to Toronto Raptors