ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Sign Undrafted Ron Harper Jr To A Two Way Contract

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Re: Raptors Sign Undrafted Ron Harper Jr To A Two Way Contract 

Post#181 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:30 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Matt hit like 46% of his three point attempts with the raptors :P.

played 0 defense though. gave up more on defense than what he can produce on the offensive end. :lol: :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#182 » by Rapsalot » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:11 pm

As a two way I would keep him in To through end of Dec and focus on development. He can get more reps on 905 and then play with Raps when they are at home. I think if he can exchange muscle for fat and get to 230-235 range he will help his burst + vertical and improve finishing which would make him 3 level scorer off bench. I tag him with OG who is 6’7” 232 and try to get RHJ to 6’6” 232. He is good off screens so if we can get Koloko to learn screens they could run some P&R even though SB4 would handle mostly. I could see a great bench mob:

SB, RHJ, JC, Thad, Chris or Christian. complete switching of all plays. Maybe some drop or zone if Koloko on.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,044

Post#183 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter

his teammates love him
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#184 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 pm

Supposedly was 260 lbs during the season but lost 20 entering the combine so now down to 240lbs

NBA Draft: Undrafted Ron Harper Jr., former Rutgers star, signs two-way deal with Raptors

To the careful observer, it was obvious from the day he set foot on Rutgers University’s campus that Ron Harper Jr. did not want to live off his famous name.

Yes, he appreciated that his father won five NBA championships as a player. But the new Scarlet Knight, fresh off an impressive high school career at Don Bosco Prep, was intent on carving out his own distinct reputation in the basketball world.

That quest took another step early Friday, when Harper Jr. signed a two-way free-agent deal with the Toronto Raptors shortly after the NBA Draft ended. A two-way deal means he'll split time between the Raptors and their G League affiliate, with his earnings pro-rated to reflect how many NBA games he plays. It also provides a measure of security; most two-way signees get a full season to show what they can do.

“The Rutgers basketball family is so proud of Ron Harper Jr.,” Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell said. “This couldn’t have happened to a better person or better ambassador for our program on and off the court. Ron guided us to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, hit some of the biggest shots in Rutgers history and achieved incredible individual accolades over the past four years. I am so excited to watch Ron’s NBA journey and I am thrilled for his friends and family.”

More proving grounds lie ahead. Harper will have to earn the Raptors' trust, starting with a strong performance in the NBA’s summer league. But he’s got a foothold — a franchise invested in him and willing to give him an extended look.

Here’s a quick rundown of what the Raptors are getting in the 6-foot-6 wing forward.

As a Rutgers senior, Harper averaged 15.8 points and 5.9 boards and shot 39.8 percent from 3-point range. He won the prestigious Haggerty Award as the metropolitan area’s best player, the first Rutgers player to do so since Quincy Douby in 2006, and earned second-team All-Big Ten and honorable mention All-America recognition.

He’s a fundamentally sound defender blessed with a 7-foot-1 wingspan. He lost 20 pounds throughout the pre-draft process, slimming from 260 to 240, which should help his burst on both ends of the court.

His basketball IQ is high; he’s a willing passer who is good at finding the open man and taking shots in the flow. His 3-pointer is particularly good in transition, which should translate to the next level.

He’s a well-regarded teammate and a prolific winner who led Don Bosco Prep to the NJSIAA Tournament of Champions final and then played a major role in three straight NCAA Tournament seasons for Rutgers, which hadn’t been to the Big Dance since 1991.

This could be considered his parting gift to the program. A record of putting players into the NBA is probably the second-greatest recruiting tool right now, behind Name/Image/Likeness deals. It has more cache with many recruits than jaw-dropping facilities and, one could argue, wins on the court.

“He has a bunch of stories, he has a bunch of advice that he’s given to me,” Harper Jr. said last week. “And it really helps you out through this whole process.”

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/nba-draft-ron-harper-jr-045054167.html
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#185 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 am

Read on Twitter
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,167

Post#186 » by niQ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:32 am

Read on Twitter
?t=a3oWuaUEIvbdXYaCLpYDBg&s=19
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#187 » by scopy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:29 am

Ell Curry wrote:He sort of stopped improving, but he can really shoot it and having a 7'1 wingspan and some strength means he might be able to survive on defence in the NBA if he can be a 40% 3pt guy.

As Ethan Strauss wrote:

Fat is Potential in Disguise

FIPID has gained some traction, thanks to the references by NBA writer John Hollinger over at The Athletic. It’s mostly a sports theory, but apply it to life if you will. The basic premise is that fat guys constitute a potential NBA Draft market inefficiency. Sure they’re fat, perhaps speaking to work ethic issues. But, if they’re this good already while pudgy, who knows what potential might be unlocked with some portion control. This term is like the love child of Mel Kiper Jr. and Richard Simmons, if you care to picture that.

Barkley came into the league at 6-6" and around 250 lbs, his vertical was 39" though. Can't find his wingspan info.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 895

Post#188 » by TNRaps4life » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 am

PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,414

Post#189 » by PD28 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:21 pm

Ell Curry wrote:He sort of stopped improving, but he can really shoot it and having a 7'1 wingspan and some strength means he might be able to survive on defence in the NBA if he can be a 40% 3pt guy.

As Ethan Strauss wrote:

FIPID has gained some traction, thanks to the references by NBA writer John Hollinger over at The Athletic. It’s mostly a sports theory, but apply it to life if you will. The basic premise is that fat guys constitute a potential NBA Draft market inefficiency. Sure they’re fat, perhaps speaking to work ethic issues. But, if they’re this good already while pudgy, who knows what potential might be unlocked with some portion control. This term is like the love child of Mel Kiper Jr. and Richard Simmons, if you care to picture that.

I'm loaded with potential, just need to tap into it.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#190 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Read on Twitter
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#191 » by MikeM » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Feels weird to have a long wing that apparently can already shoot. Surprised he went undrafted. Looks like he has some of that deceleration cheese too.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,460

Post#192 » by DG88 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scottie approved!
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#193 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:30 pm

DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scottie approved!

With our wing situation in limbo off the bench, I can see Harper pushing for some minutes as early as next season
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,987

Post#194 » by ontnut » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm

RHJ looks like he'll be a nice burst of energy of the bench. If he can get into better shape, I think he'll be in the rotation given his ability to score and what should be improved athleticism for the defensive end.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,460

Post#195 » by DG88 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:44 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scottie approved!

With our wing situation in limbo off the bench, I can see Harper pushing for some minutes as early as next season

I see RHjr and Champagnie cracking the rotation this year. We need wing depth and shooting badly.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Post#196 » by ruckus » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm

PD28 wrote:

As Ethan Strauss wrote:

I'm loaded with potential, just need to tap into it.

I just got reminded of Oliver Miller. That dude could ball. For the size that he was, he was so fluid and basketball just seemed to come so naturally. So sad that he couldn't get his body into proper shape.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#197 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm

More excited about RHJ than Banton or Johnson (if he even stays on the roster). JHarris, Harper, Young, Koloko should add a nice punch to the bench (finally).
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,587

Post#198 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:36 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=a3oWuaUEIvbdXYaCLpYDBg&s=19

We just got ourselves Paul Pierce once he sheds that extra weight
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,293

Post#199 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 pm

DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scottie approved!

Scottie defending OG, now approving rookies, he's heading for team leader sooner than expected
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
RealGM
And1: 66,424

Post#200 » by 720 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 pm

DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scottie approved!

Really like how Scottie isn’t shy about voicing his opinion and shows genuine excitement for the development of the team even during the offseason. In the past we saw comments like this during training camp, it’s nice to see.

Return to Toronto Raptors