ImageImageImageImageImage

Dejounte Murray over KD!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 717

Dejounte Murray over KD! 

Post#1 » by TGM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:47 am

Thought this deserved a separate thread cause of the player Murray is. Lots of talk about KD but this is the real prize. I still find hard to believe he is available.

The rumour that he is available for a Jrue type package is actually insane. Murray, if can be extended is a unicorn. This kid is 25 and was averaging almost a triple double and 2 steals a game. His size and defense is exactly the kind of guy we want in your backcourt.

To get Jrue the bucks gave up Bledsoe, RJ Hampton, 2 first and 2 first pick swaps. If Toronto could re-up Murray for say another 5 years I would happily give up OG, Flynn, 2 first and 2 pick swaps. We could play a Murray Fred back-court with Trend getting 28-30 mins off the bench feasting as 6th man. It allows us to also use our MLE on a big like Bamba (3 year deal). Who knows maybe we could convince San Antonio to add in Jakob in the deal, where in that case we can go after someone like Bruce Brown. Might seem like we are mortgaging the future, but we need to think about this when it comes to the Raps:

1. We are not a top FA destination, so when you get a chance to acquire a top player you do it.
2. When you can get a defensive all-start that is 25 you do it.
3. When you can get a player that fits your system like a glove you do it.

Getting Murray also gives us much more leverage in the Fred and Trent negotiations. We won't need to be held hostage, but still have their bird rights if we need to pay the luxury tax.

First round picks are overrated and late first or early 2nds can always be acquired. Given the Raps ability to develop players, we can also have a churn of bench guys that can be traded for an early second round pick. Besides with the depth this is a playoff team, so we end up giving 2 late firsts and the option to swap out 2 late first. If you resign Murray, at a minimum you have him and Barnes anchoring your team during the pick exposure window. THis is the worst case if Pascal, Fred and others all left via FA, which I highly doubt.

Imagine our line-up

Fred (32) -
Murray (32)- Trent (28)- Harper Jr.
Barnes (32)- Young (18)
Siakim (32)- Boucher (18)- Watanabe
Precious (24)- Bamba (20)- Koloko (4)

Resign Boucher 3 years at 10-12 million per year (2+ team)
Resign Thad 3 years at 10 million per year (2 +team)
Extend Fred for 4 years at 100 million. (3+team)
Extend Trent for 4 years at 88 million. (3+team)
Murray give the man the max. (4+team)

This will be one of the scariest defensive teams in the league. Long, young, athletic. Also has a nice mix of vets and up and comers.

OUr long-boi line-up will feature Murray -Siakim - Barnes - Precious - Bamba with Boucher, Thad and Koloko all fungible in the lineup.

All the talk about KD, this is a piece that we shouldn't pass up on if truly available.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Re: Dejounte Murray over KD! 

Post#2 » by deeps6x » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:55 am

I'd rather keep OG.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
deeps6x
General Manager

Post#3 » by deeps6x » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:56 am

I love GTJ, but Murray seems like a more balanced player. I wonder if that kind of a swap can be made? We'd have Murray a year longer than GTJ.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#4 » by LastNameEver » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:57 am

FVV, Barnes, Murray.. a lot of overlap in offense initiators
deeps6x
General Manager

Post#5 » by deeps6x » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:57 am

Why would the Spurs want to get rid of him? Or is it that he wants out for a reason?
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#6 » by Spida888 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:00 am

Murray is good, but not worth a Jrue like package. Even Jrue wasn't completely worth a Jrue like package but Bucks had to do it to keep Giannis happy.

Plus Jrue had some big moments in the playoffs with Pelicans/Bucks. What has Murray proven in the playoffs?
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,240

Post#7 » by Stromile12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:03 am

Birch, svi and a protected 2nd should get it done
TGM
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by TGM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:05 am

deeps6x wrote:Why would the Spurs want to get rid of him? Or is it that he wants out for a reason?

Was rumoured last week that he is available. The spurs just drafted 3 players in the first round. They also have a few from last year. Next year you have Victor Wembanyama the French C as one of the top 3 picks. Dejounte on their team honestly makes them not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough for a top 5. Hence them picking at 9.

So a trade that keeps salary flexible, with a bunch of picks and a young player like OG might make sense. They probably feel that by the time the rest of the guys start contributing Murray will need his max contract, but they aren't ready to compete yet. So why not better align the resources and tank one more year to stock up talent.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#9 » by alpngso » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:08 am

deeps6x wrote:Why would the Spurs want to get rid of him? Or is it that he wants out for a reason?

Klutch client with 2 years left on the contract seeking big contract, Spurs still couple years away from contending, Popovich about to retire or retire next season.

Selling high is not bad idea if they can get a haul
TGM
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by TGM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:09 am

Spida888 wrote:Murray is good, but not worth a Jrue like package. Even Jrue wasn't completely worth a Jrue like package but Bucks had to do it to keep Giannis happy.

Plus Jrue had some big moments in the playoffs with Pelicans/Bucks. What has Murray proven in the playoffs?

Bro you serious? You see this man ball. He was almost a triple double and two steals. Is 25.

21 PPG, 7RPG, 9APG, 2STL - shot 46%, 33%, 80%.

Outside of Lebron and Luka, can't think of too many guys with that type of stat line. He was a terror to play against for opposing PGs.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,060

Post#11 » by HumbleRen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:12 am

Murray is the perfect pairing beside FVV.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#12 » by bluerap23 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:18 am

I don't see them trading him. I viewed those rumours the same as the OG rumours. Just talking head speculation.

Also - the point of the KD trade is that it would make you a championship contender. I don't think Murray does that. I agree it would be a great acquisition though.
TGM
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by TGM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:35 am

bluerap23 wrote:I don't see them trading him. I viewed those rumours the same as the OG rumours. Just talking head speculation.

Also - the point of the KD trade is that it would make you a championship contender. I don't think Murray does that. I agree it would be a great acquisition though.

Agree KD is that championship piece push. But I think there are many teams closer to that push than we are. Murray is a great piece to build along with our current team. I think this would be a big double down on the positionless basketball idea. At the end of the day positionless basketball is probably a team of long athletic players that can all guard 3 positions.

PG -SG -SF
SG- SF- PF
SF- PF- C

No team has yet field that type of line-up. On the defensive end you can literally unlock a complete new dimension of play.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,194

Post#14 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:44 am

LastNameEver wrote:FVV, Barnes, Murray.. a lot of overlap in offense initiators

Murray/Barnes/Siakam could share the primary initiating role. Fred should have near 0 initiating responsibility. He is too short/slow/selfish to ever be great at that. Rather have him play off the ball where he provides his greatest value.

Trent, Banton, 2 firsts and 2 pick swaps for Murray... I would do that in a heart beat.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#15 » by Brinbe » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:45 am

i freaking love dejounte but i don't think he'd be a great fit as it stands with scottie. spacing would be not too good.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#16 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:50 am

TGM wrote:To get Jrue the bucks gave up Bledsoe, RJ Hampton, 2 first and 2 first pick swaps.

In other words, crap, crap and late, late draft picks/swaps. You didn't have media all abuzz in 2020 about how coveted Bledsoe was by multiple teams. So why would we give up a legitimate trade piece in OG, PLUS all that draft capital?

Also, DJM is a below average outside shooter. Apart from all the other great stuff OG does, Raps can't afford to give up one of our best 3-ballers.

Pass.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#17 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:31 am

Tor_Raps wrote:

Murray/Barnes/Siakam could share the primary initiating role. Fred should have near 0 initiating responsibility. He is too short/slow/selfish to ever be great at that. Rather have him play off the ball where he provides his greatest value.

Trent, Banton, 2 firsts and 2 pick swaps for Murray... I would do that in a heart beat.

I think they ask for OG. Popovich might get another gear out of him.

In fact, if the Spurs are going to rebuild, they will also want to trade Poeltl, who is an expiring contract.

Murray and Poeltl
for
OG + Koloko + ‘22 1st + ‘24 1st
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
TGM
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by TGM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:34 am

Murray I think is worth hands down more than Jrue. Which is why I think this is a good guy to go after if that is the ask. Spurs willing to not take a young star for Murray is a deal worth exploring.

As for people worried about the spacing. Don’t see that being an issue. Barnes, Murray, Siakim all for 3PT shots improving. If anything Trent is the guy you move for a even better 3PT scorer.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,194

Post#19 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:03 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

I think they ask for OG. Popovich might get another gear out of him.

In fact, if the Spurs are going to rebuild, they will also want to trade Poeltl, who is an expiring contract.

Murray and Poeltl
for
OG + Koloko + ‘22 1st + ‘24 1st

They didn't get OG from us for Kawhi and that was when OG was a very raw prospect. Hard to see OG being traded for a much lesser player.

Also, the Pelicans didn't get anyone close to OGs level in return for Jrue. It was a bunch of draft picks mostly. Trent is still a pretty damn good prospect the Spurs would get.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#20 » by bstein14 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:56 am

If they trade him, its because they know he isn't super valuable as a MAX player. He also might be eligible for the SUPER MAX. He will be a FA when the salary cap is set to jump up with the New TV deal in 2024.

$175 million projected cap in 2024-25 with the new TV deal
He gets 30% of that at least so $52.5 million starting. A max deal is worth $300 million over 5 years.
If he's super max (makes all-nba the year prior to his contract) he's eligible for $360 million over 5 years.

Return to Toronto Raptors