ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Woj:"Numerous teams preparing to pursue KD"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Re: OT- Woj:"Numerous teams preparing to pursue KD" 

Post#81 » by Jay240 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:07 am

I think Scottie and Siakam should be the only untouchables. KD is probably going to want at least those two to play alongside if he's going to stay for his whole contract.

He's not going to approve a trade to a team without a solid chance at contending.

And from the Raptors perspective, KD is aging and comes with a lot of injury risk. So they'd be wise to not give up too much.

They need to have two solid players in case KD misses significant time.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#82 » by MessiahUjiri » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:18 am

DelAbbot wrote:
kalel123 wrote:Here are rules that I hope Raptors sticks by:

1) No Barnes

2) Any two of OG, Siakam, FVV, and GTJ as long as it's NOT a combination of OG/Siakam or FVV/Siakam.

3) Max 2 picks and 1 swap.

If Nets want more, they can trade Durant to another sucker who's willing to give up the farm. There probably will be team(s) who's willing to give up more so my hopes aren't high. If I'm Raptors, I'd probably start with OG/GTJ with two picks and see what kinda response I get.

I don't really get people saying Durant is on his last legs. I know there are injury concerns but IMO he's the type of dude with the kind of game that can have long prime. I'd say he should be good for 2-3 more years. Don't think highly of his fake rings but he'd still be the go-to finisher that we are lacking and would give us a chance in any given game/series.

While I don't believe Raptors should bet the farm on him, I'm sure there will be teams in a situation that would justify doing so.

This is very good (for us) and reasonable (for Nets) set of proposals.

KD is exactly what they had in mind when Masai & co planned to accumulate assets and consolidate them in a trade for a superstar (like the Kawhi trade). This is about as good a chance as Kawhi for us to go for a championship or two next 2 years, while keeping a future superstar Barnes for more.

I think we’re underestimating what KD will fetch.

They will definitely ask for Siakam or Scottie as a starting point. Who wouldn’t?

I bet their ask is something like Siakam / Trent / 1st.

We could counter with an OG package, but it’s a looong shot.

Something like OG + Trent + Achiuwa + 2 1sts
(Basically a 4 quarters for a dollar type of deal)

Scottie
Fred
Durant
Siakam
Birch

MLE guard, Boucher, Thad

That’s an 8 man rotation. Bench is sketchy TBH.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,272

Post#83 » by brownbobcat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:I think we’re underestimating what KD will fetch.

They will definitely ask for Siakam or Scottie as a starting point. Who wouldn’t?

They can ask, but the Raptors should say no. I think the absolute max they would get back in return are 2 starters and possibly no All Stars. Harden got traded for much less and so did OKC Westbrook. People want to bring up the AD haul, but that was a 25-yr old superstar and a franchise under huge pressure to go all in for LeBron. I could see Phoenix moving Ayton, Memphis moving JJJ or Portland moving Simons.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,999

Post#84 » by DelAbbot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:49 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
kalel123 wrote:Here are rules that I hope Raptors sticks by:

1) No Barnes

2) Any two of OG, Siakam, FVV, and GTJ as long as it's NOT a combination of OG/Siakam or FVV/Siakam.

3) Max 2 picks and 1 swap.

If Nets want more, they can trade Durant to another sucker who's willing to give up the farm. There probably will be team(s) who's willing to give up more so my hopes aren't high. If I'm Raptors, I'd probably start with OG/GTJ with two picks and see what kinda response I get.

I don't really get people saying Durant is on his last legs. I know there are injury concerns but IMO he's the type of dude with the kind of game that can have long prime. I'd say he should be good for 2-3 more years. Don't think highly of his fake rings but he'd still be the go-to finisher that we are lacking and would give us a chance in any given game/series.

While I don't believe Raptors should bet the farm on him, I'm sure there will be teams in a situation that would justify doing so.

This is very good (for us) and reasonable (for Nets) set of proposals.

KD is exactly what they had in mind when Masai & co planned to accumulate assets and consolidate them in a trade for a superstar (like the Kawhi trade). This is about as good a chance as Kawhi for us to go for a championship or two next 2 years, while keeping a future superstar Barnes for more.

I think we’re underestimating what KD will fetch.

Scottie
Fred
Durant
Siakam
Birch

MLE guard, Boucher, Thad

That’s an 8 man rotation. Bench is sketchy TBH.

You can't trade 4 quarters for a dollar. The fact that distribution of talent in the NBA is like a pyramid and the fact that there are only 15 active roster spots means a toonie should be traded for 3 loonies. So the OG + Trent + Achiuwa + 2 1sts for KD won't work, unless Nets are rebuilding - which they aren't since Houston owns all their picks (straight up or via swaps) for the next 5 years.

Siakam / Trent / 1st for KD proposal can work with some minor amendments / negotiations.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#85 » by DelAbbot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:54 am

brownbobcat wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:I think we’re underestimating what KD will fetch.

They can ask, but the Raptors should say no. I think the absolute max they would get back in return are 2 starters and possibly no All Stars. Harden got traded for much less and so did OKC Westbrook. People want to bring up the AD haul, but that was a 25-yr old superstar and a franchise under huge pressure to go all in for LeBron. I could see Phoenix moving Ayton, Memphis moving JJJ or Portland moving Simons.

Why would Raptors say no to a deal centred around Siakam / Trent? Replace 28-yo Siakam with 34-yo KD (with Trent and possibly another FRP to sweeten the pot), we reach championship aspirations with rest of the roster. It will be like when we swapped DD for Kawhi - once we have that superstar, and enough support (Barnes+OG+FVV+PA is enough), we would be favs to come out of the east.

PG FVV
SG OG
SF KD
PF SB
C PA

Bench: Thad/Boucher/Flynn/Banton (bench needs shooting badly but KD can help recruit some vet min shooters / buyouts)
TDotAllStar
Sophomore
And1: 256

Post#86 » by TDotAllStar » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:12 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Only LeBron has won a title as a 1A after the age of 34 since Jordan retired. Father time always wins. Can he slide behind Jokic and win a couple of cheapies? It's actually hard to find fits where Brooklyn would also get something back. They could just play hardball with him, too.

Steph Curry says hi
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#87 » by brownbobcat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:17 am

DelAbbot wrote:Why would Raptors say no to a deal centred around Siakam / Trent? Replace 28-yo Siakam with 34-yo KD (with Trent and possibly another FRP to sweeten the pot), we reach championship aspirations with rest of the roster. It will be like when we swapped DD for Kawhi - once we have that superstar, and enough support (Barnes+OG+FVV+PA is enough), we would be favs to come out of the east.

PG FVV
SG OG
SF KD
PF SB
C PA

Bench: Thad/Boucher/Flynn/Banton (bench needs shooting badly but KD can help recruit some vet min shooters / buyouts)

The age difference between KD & Siakam is closer to 6yrs than 5. I just don't think they're quite on the cusp yet to make that move, and the window with KD could be as short as 1 year. The Kawhi trade is a good analogy, but the core of that team had already been given several chances to advance and were 1-2 years away from massive changes anyway. Who else is going to trade a 28-yr old All Star for KD?
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#88 » by DelAbbot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:20 am

brownbobcat wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:Why would Raptors say no to a deal centred around Siakam / Trent? Replace 28-yo Siakam with 34-yo KD (with Trent and possibly another FRP to sweeten the pot), we reach championship aspirations with rest of the roster. It will be like when we swapped DD for Kawhi - once we have that superstar, and enough support (Barnes+OG+FVV+PA is enough), we would be favs to come out of the east.

PG FVV
SG OG
SF KD
PF SB
C PA

The age difference between KD & Siakam is closer to 6yrs than 5. I just don't think they're quite on the cusp yet to make that move, and the window with KD could be as short as 1 year. The Kawhi trade is a good analogy, but the core of that team had already been given several chances to advance and were 1-2 years away from massive changes anyway. Who else is going to trade a 28-yr old All Star for KD?

I think you are focusing on "are we getting the right value back" in a KD for Siakam+GTJ swap, instead of "how much closer does this trade take us to championship contention next 2 years".

I mean for beyond 2 years, can we confidently say Siakam could up his game to a superstar status (first 2 months of 2019/2020 season)? If not then trade him for KD now, and we can contend for championships next 2 years, and then when KD gets old, we ride on the back of Barnes becoming a superstar after the next 2 years to championship contention year in and out.

btw, I think KD + Barnes + OG fits so much better (better outside shooting and defense) than KD + Siakam + Barnes
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#89 » by brownbobcat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:43 am

DelAbbot wrote:I think you are focusing on "are we getting the right value back" in a KD for Siakam+GTJ swap, instead of "how much closer does this trade take us to championship contention next 2 years".

I mean for beyond 2 years, can we confidently say Siakam could up his game to a superstar status (first 2 months of 2019/2020 season)? If not then trade him for KD now, and we can contend for championships next 2 years, and then when KD gets old, we ride on the back of Barnes becoming a superstar after the next 2 years to championship contention year in and out.

btw, I think KD + Barnes + OG fits so much better (better outside shooting and defense) than KD + Siakam + Barnes

Would it take us closer? Very likely. Would it take us close enough? I'm doubtful and that's the problem. To be fair, I may actually be more receptive to dealing Siakam than OG+Precious.

Replace Kawhi with current KD and I think they still win the championship in 2019. Replace Siakam/Trent with 2019 Kawhi and I don't think they win the ring next season. Is that overthinking it for a superstar (for now) like KD? Possibly, but I think you're tossing away some of the more recent comps too easily. Harden was coming off a 34 PPG season when he got traded from Houston, his value was still quite high because people thought he was dogging it on purpose. Maybe he was, but history shows that age and physical fitness started catching up to him too.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#90 » by PoundTown » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm

Chicago to me would make sense if Nets would take back a package that was centered around Lavine, youngsters, and picks going out... maybe Boston with Jaylen Brown going out?
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#91 » by mihaic » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:43 am

PoundTown wrote:Chicago to me would make sense if Nets would take back a package that was centered around Lavine, youngsters, and picks going out... maybe Boston with Jaylen Brown going out?

Boston won't include Brown in a trade for Durant, why risk what they have.

Return to Toronto Raptors