ImageImageImageImageImage

2021-22 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,504

Re: 2021-22 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#501 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:23 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I think KD would thrive here, like Kawhi did. The Raps have one of the best management / coaching structures in the league and the Raps could properly load manage him, he would just have to focus on basketball here, which he's obviously really good at it. On the court, he's an unselfish player who fits what we do. I'm not sure the Raps could replicate 2019 with any one player, but KD might give them the best shot.

its the off-the-court KD that you have to worry about.

You think on a team full of all stars and future hall of famers or being on a team he helped construct could satiate his life and basketball career ... but he would change and come to real life zen be resolved in Toronto tbh lol i think the drama is going to follow him here too. look at the Brooklyn fans on realgm trashing the guy lol thats Raptors realgm on a small scale.

I'm pretty confident in our management structure. A lot of the same things were said about Kawhi as well.

The Raps will win with KD and that solves almost every issue.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#502 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:56 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I think KD would thrive here, like Kawhi did. The Raps have one of the best management / coaching structures in the league and the Raps could properly load manage him, he would just have to focus on basketball here, which he's obviously really good at it. On the court, he's an unselfish player who fits what we do. I'm not sure the Raps could replicate 2019 with any one player, but KD might give them the best shot.

its the off-the-court KD that you have to worry about.

You think on a team full of all stars and future hall of famers or being on a team he helped construct could satiate his life and basketball career ... but he would change and come to real life zen be resolved in Toronto tbh lol i think the drama is going to follow him here too. look at the Brooklyn fans on realgm trashing the guy lol thats Raptors realgm on a small scale.

I'm pretty confident in our management structure. A lot of the same things were said about Kawhi as well.

The Raps will win with KD and that solves almost every issue.

Kawhi is/was different. he was mostly drama free other than the fact Spurs and him had disagreements with playing time and his knee. he didn't call out his coach and GM and get them fired. he didn't build his team or force management to make moves.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#503 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:59 pm

What if we reframe this entire discussion into "eccentric, oft-injured NBA legend who will make 53 mill in his age 37 season demands trade"? This isn't Paul George wanting out of OKC or Carmelo Anthony out of Denver. More like Carmelo about 4-5 years ago wanting a change of scenery.

In that case, as a mental experiment, what is the weakest trade offer the Raps could make, while still doing the Nets a solid? According to the ESPN trade machine, here it is: Gary, Thad, Khem, Svi and Malachi for KD, with ZERO draft picks (ok, maybe an unprotected 2023 first so Marks can save face).

This would put the Raps firmly in the tax and cost us 200 mill over the next four seasons, but at least free up minutes and roster spots for guys like Hernangomez, Champagnie, Downtin, Banton ... and Jalen Harris. And it would save the Nets 8 mill off the top in 2022-23 salary, plus around 20 mill this season in luxury tax. Right now, they are >30 mill over the tax threshold.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,280

Post#504 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:51 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:What if we reframe this entire discussion into "eccentric, oft-injured NBA legend who will make 53 mill in his age 37 season demands trade"? This isn't Paul George wanting out of OKC or Carmelo Anthony out of Denver. More like Carmelo about 4-5 years ago wanting a change of scenery.

In that case, as a mental experiment, what is the weakest trade offer the Raps could make, while still doing the Nets a solid? According to the ESPN trade machine, here it is: Gary, Thad, Khem, Svi and Malachi for KD, with ZERO draft picks (ok, maybe an unprotected 2023 first so Marks can save face).

This would put the Raps firmly in the tax and cost us 200 mill over the next four seasons, but at least free up minutes and roster spots for guys like Hernangomez, Champagnie, Downtin, Banton ... and Jalen Harris. And it would save the Nets 8 mill off the top in 2022-23 salary, plus around 20 mill this season in luxury tax. Right now, they are >30 mill over the tax threshold.

Way too much thought put into a trade proposal that would get laughed at & Masai's number blocked.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#505 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:40 pm

Durant+Harris for Siakam+GTJ+Boucher

FVV, OG, Barnes, Durant, Achiuwa
Flynn, Harris, OPJ, Juancho, Young

Does Toronto do it? Do they add picks?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#506 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:26 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Durant+Harris for Siakam+GTJ+Boucher

Why would Raptors trade 2x all-NBAer Siakam, who may be better than KD next season and definitely WILL be better the following season?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#507 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:08 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

Why would Raptors trade 2x all-NBAer Siakam, who may be better than KD next season and definitely WILL be better the following season?

I'm assuming its going to be based on 1 year championship we were spoiled by. I mean if you had a time machine and we DID win a chip with Durant, next year - would you?
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#508 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:25 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

Siakam is not better than KD nor will he be over the next 4 seasons.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#509 » by VanWest82 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:44 pm

Raptors don't play defensive liabilities so Harris is useless here, and he's on the books for next season too. Essentially, it's a three for one which leaves us too thin. Maybe if we could re-route Harris for a decent two way wing.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#510 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:16 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Siakam is not better than KD nor will he be over the next 4 seasons.

Whether or not you are correct (and a 30 year old Siakam will undoubtedly be better than a 36 year old KD), why are you on another team's board talking crap about their players? There's a term for that ...

Anyway, I can personally guarantee that Masai is not trading 28-year-old Siakam for 34 year old KD. It's just not going to happen. Raps aren't a contender without Siakam. Masai only traded a beloved Raptor (DeRozen) after he completely flamed out in a four game sweep to the Cavs. Except for the blip in the bubble, Siakam has done no such thing.

Finally, you may have noticed that the Nets bargaining position has gotten worse. Celtic fans don't wanna even give up Brown (or R. Williams). Sixers fans don't want to give up Maxey. No deal, or whispers of a deal, has happened in the last month. Nets fans are going to be disappointed with their haul, which is why much smaller trade proposals are now being floated in the media.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#511 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:31 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

I'm assuming its going to be based on 1 year championship we were spoiled by. I mean if you had a time machine and we DID win a chip with Durant, next year - would you?

Here are the two factors that together operate to guarantee a championship to a team acquiring KD:

1. The team had won a record 73 games during the previous regular season, and might have won the championship that season if one of their top players wasn't suspended for a game during the Finals after they went up 3-1.

2. The team acquires KD in his prime, without having to lose ANY core players from their roster.

Unless those two factors are both in play, acquiring KD guarantees nothing.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#512 » by bballsparkin » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:29 am

There's no guarantees for anything ever. Even with Prime LeBron. KD most definitely helps a team win. That Nets team was not good. KD is not young he needs help. Are the Raptors good enough after parting ways with Pascal and Gary? Hard to know. Does OG and Barnes take a step forward?

I could see Durant playing well his four years if carefully managed. That's likely why he wants out. The thing with KD is his shot is beauty. And at that height exceptionally rare. If the FO did the OK lets do this I would trust they did their homework. With so many ifs and the Nets seemingly high demands I have no problem walking either. Maybe the Raptors get involved as a third team.

I like watching KD so do not want to see him on the Celtics. I don't really get the Tatum and KD fit either.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#513 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 am

bballsparkin wrote:Are the Raptors good enough after parting ways with Pascal and Gary?

No-one is suggesting that the Suns, Sixers, Celtics or Heat have to give up their best player, their superstar(s) to get Durant. Because why would any team do that?

So why are some on here willing to give up Pascal? And then actually expect such a move to make us a contender? It's crazy. How can one look at the Raptors of last season and think that losing Pascal and Gary and adding a 34-year-old KD makes us a genuine contender? It's not "hard to say", it's very easy to say. Of course we wouldn't be (unless Scottie and OG make a huge leap, but we can't count on that). So why do it?

And ... again, there's no question that KD's market value has decreased in the last month. There's been the suggestion in the media that KD and his agent have intentionally poisoned the well, to ensure that the team acquiring him doesn't have to give up too many assets. So if Pascal wasn't traded a month ago, why would Masai trade him now?

OG and Gary and two FRPs is the highest the Raps will go, or this deal would have been done already. And personally, I wouldn't go that high for a 34 year old who's owed ~200 mill over the next four years.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#514 » by bballsparkin » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:51 am

OG and Gary and two FRPs is meh. That's fine if it's the most you would offer but it's not much. Both UFAs soon. Both Klutch I believe. The FRPs will not be good. If that's the package they'd be wise to trade him West or just sit him. He's signed for 4 years. Rest will do him good. Maybe tank the year for a top ten pick. Not my problem and I'm not sweating it.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#515 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:24 am

Nets do not. It would still be a LOL (no Barnes) OG, GTR, Koloko, Banton, 3 firsts protected. That's the ball game. Paskal and Fred would never be included. Nobody is doing an allstar for KD risk management project at +33 for cap penalty.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#516 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:05 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Here are the two factors that together operate to guarantee a championship to a team acquiring KD:

1. The team had won a record 73 games during the previous regular season, and might have won the championship that season if one of their top players wasn't suspended for a game during the Finals after they went up 3-1.

2. The team acquires KD in his prime, without having to lose ANY core players from their roster.

don't think anyone has said getting KD would gaurantee us getting a championship though.. :lol: :lol:
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#517 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:20 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

don't think anyone has said getting KD would gaurantee us getting a championship though.. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I refuse to consider your retrospective time machine scenario. Such decisions are all about forecasting. I just remember my euphoric feeling when I read at 5 in the morning that Raps had acquired Kawhi for DeMar, Jak and a pick. When my kids woke up that morning, I solemnly informed them - with a high degree of confidence - that the Raptors were going to win the championship the following season. (Raps had won the East the previous season, and had swept the West winners - the Rockets - during that regular season. Substituting Kawhi for DeMar was a clear upgrade. Hell, as the 2019-2020 season proved, substituting NOBODY for DeMar was an upgrade).

I would have nowhere near that degree of confidence if Pascal and Gary went out for KD this summer. I wouldn't see much immediate benefit to the team for next season, and even less so for future seasons as KD continued to age. And given the fact that Scottie and Precious (who I have high hopes for) are in their early 20s, I simply cannot countenance trading our 28-year-old all-NBAer and 24-year-old up and comer for an oft-injured 34-year-old* flake.

* KD will turn 34 before the 2022-23 season starts.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#518 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:24 pm

Problem with your idea is that Durant said he wants to go to a team looking to make a championship run. I don't think that new KD Toronto team minus Siakam is a championship team especially considering that Durant probably isn't going to be paying 70+ games a year at 30+ MPG. I think Toronto probably would give up a lot of draft capital and OG Anunoby to keep Pascal on the team. If I am Toronto my take it or leave it offer is Khem Birch, Thad Young, Anunoby, Trent Jr and 4 first round picks with two swaps in between the years you can't trade consecutive picks.

I don't think Brooklyn is going to get the blockbuster deal they think they could get for KD. Teams have shown they are reluctant to trade their stars for him
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#519 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Sorry, I refuse to consider your retrospective time machine scenario. Such decisions are all about forecasting. I just remember my euphoric feeling when I read at 5 in the morning that Raps had acquired Kawhi for DeMar, Jak and a pick. When my kids woke up that morning, I solemnly informed them - with a high degree of confidence - that the Raptors were going to win the championship the following season. (Raps had won the East the previous season, and had swept the West winners - the Rockets - during that regular season. Substituting Kawhi for DeMar was a clear upgrade. Hell, as the 2019-2020 season proved, substituting NOBODY for DeMar was an upgrade).

I would have nowhere near that degree of confidence if Pascal and Gary went out for KD this summer. I wouldn't see much immediate benefit to the team for next season, and even less so for future seasons as KD continued to age. And given the fact that Scottie and Precious (who I have high hopes for) are in their early 20s, I simply cannot countenance trading our 28-year-old all-NBAer and 24-year-old up and comer for an oft-injured 34-year-old* flake.

* KD will turn 34 before the 2022-23 season starts.

its not retrospective. if you find that the trade for KD leads us to an NBA championship next year, would you trade in Siakam's career over 1 year championship KD.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#520 » by zimpy27 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:03 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

Problem with your idea is that Durant said he wants to go to a team looking to make a championship run. I don't think that new KD Toronto team minus Siakam is a championship team especially considering that Durant probably isn't going to be paying 70+ games a year at 30+ MPG. I think Toronto probably would give up a lot of draft capital and OG Anunoby to keep Pascal on the team. If I am Toronto my take it or leave it offer is Khem Birch, Thad Young, Anunoby, Trent Jr and 4 first round picks with two swaps in between the years you can't trade consecutive picks.

I don't think Brooklyn is going to get the blockbuster deal they think they could get for KD. Teams have shown they are reluctant to trade their stars for him

OG+GTJ+Boucher+4xFRP for Durant would be a deal I think

Return to Toronto Raptors