ImageImageImageImageImage

Ringer Article re: Trey Boucher

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Re: Ringer Article re: Trey Boucher 

Post#41 » by Madhouse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:08 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Reading between the lines, Dan is saying here that Raptors probably don't want to sign Boucher with term because it will put them into the tax in 2 seasons. They may view Koloko as his cheaper (and maybe much better) replacement, and would rather develop him with Boucher's minutes.

No, Boucher will be back. He is far too valuable to just lose and not be able to replace with anyone in FA.

Tax in 2 years is likely anyway as we build towards a contender.

Hackett is also operating under the assumption that the Raptors keep all 6 of their core. The Raptors can easily offer Boucher term and stay under the tax if GTJ isn't back next season.

Sure but that isn't resolved for another year and making a critical bench this year dependent on something that might or might not happen in 2023 FA seems weird to me. If we play our cards right, I could see us being a contender in 23/24 anyway.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,514

Post#42 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 pm

This isn't rocket science. 11-12 mill a season for 3 years. It is a nice bump up and fits our cap situation. Just enough over the MLE so that it going to take a team with cap room to steal him. And is in line with recent bigs getting paid as others have mentioned.

He's an excellent 6-8 man off the bench and has finally figured out that intangibles and hustle matter.

He stay
We the North
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#43 » by coolbyme » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:22 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Once he figured out his role, he was a great addition off the bench.

Makes too much sense to bring him back. Understands system, culture and he gives us a nice lift of energy, rebounding and some scoring

As long as he stays in his lane, doesn't try to dribble into the paint, and stops taking off balanced 3s, I am all for him, Montreal kid all day

Sent from my SM-A115F using RealGM mobile app
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,290

Post#44 » by Tripod » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 am

DelAbbot wrote:Ivica Zubac and the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed to a three-year, $33 million extension.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267599/Ivica-Zubac-Clippers-Agree-To-Three-Year-$33M-Extension

There is no way Boucher is worth more than that.

This is good to have happen. Can point to this now to CB's agent as what a starter was paid. So offering him the same is quite fair.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#45 » by Raps1103 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:57 am

vulture wrote:Super underrated player and he really played so well down the stretch. I hope he comes back but I also hope he gets a big payday because he hasn't made a lot in his career.

Lol.. bro, he’s a multi millionaire .. and you feel sorry for him ? Lol .. wtf?
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,010

Post#46 » by kalel123 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:45 am

It's funny the article says he could be "unlocked" with the "right" team.

Or... maybe Raptors are it and he's already unlocked? After all, we are the team that gave him his first big break and kept nurturing him and giving him chances through thick and thin. There were people who were saying his last contract was an overpay for example. Also don't know if he could be a winning team's every-day starter given his size or lack-there-of. But off the bench? Not necessarily going to get much better than it was here.

Anyway this should be pretty simple IMO. Ujiri and co have shown they know what their own players are worth or at least what they'll accept. Especially the ones that have been here for years. They've also known to slightly overpay (at the time of signing) if necessary to keep the player only to have that contract turn out to be a bargain down the line.

If Raptors want him, he'll get paid accordingly and kept around. Like many, I think that amount is slightly above what MLE goes for these days. We'll see. Hopefully, he won't mess around too much and sign promptly.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#47 » by Courtside » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 am

Tripod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:Ivica Zubac and the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed to a three-year, $33 million extension.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267599/Ivica-Zubac-Clippers-Agree-To-Three-Year-$33M-Extension

There is no way Boucher is worth more than that.

This is good to have happen. Can point to this now to CB's agent as what a starter was paid. So offering him the same is quite fair.

Yeah, as soon as I saw that announced yesterday, it seemed like Zubac set the market for a guy like Chris. It's right around MLE money, so the player then has to choose between staying with the good team that helped make him what he is and with a decent chance at winning, vs taking a shot elsewhere for the same money but then maybe not fitting in a s well, needing to move, etc...

The fact is that while Boucher could maybe find a good role somewhere, he did have his epiphany moment here last year after a rough start and realized what he is as a player and what he needs to do to both play and earn money. After that, he was much more reliable and it seems to me that he'd rather stay in Toronto - for a number of reasons - than take his chances elsewhere. The fit here is just very good.

If he was able to be "unlocked" then we were the team to do it best. The size and speed and skills fit this roster so well, that trying to fit in anywhere else in the same way is unlikely, despite the article's claim. The Nurse - Canada - Team Canada connection, along with seeing this as an upncomer contender make it the best fit by far. The only way he maybe looks elsewhere is if someone offer him a 3/45 or 4/55 type deal, which is enough more guaranteed money that it's hard to say no.

Offer him the same 3/33 with 3rd year PO and get it done. It's exactly fair value for him, and if there is a money crunch 2 or 3 years down the road, you figure it out... though I suspect at that point we're in contender stages and paying the tax is part of the plan. He's been valuable come playoffs, and I don't see both Trent and FVV as both being here long term. One will end up elsewhere, so that is one way to alleviate tax worries 2 or 3 years down the line.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#48 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 pm

Raps1103 wrote:
vulture wrote:Super underrated player and he really played so well down the stretch. I hope he comes back but I also hope he gets a big payday because he hasn't made a lot in his career.

A guy that was homeless that has a (probably maximum) dozen year career in a well paying profession of the elite in the world - yes.

Let's see what your opinion is, do you believe that NBA players are overpaid?
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#49 » by Raps1103 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:19 am

LiSTWithLani wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:

A guy that was homeless that has a (probably maximum) dozen year career in a well paying profession of the elite in the world - yes.

HE’S A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!!! Jesus Christ
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#50 » by LiSTWithLani » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:11 am

Raps1103 wrote:
LiSTWithLani wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:

HE’S A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!!! Jesus Christ

Perhaps you don't need to feel bad for him, but it's not difficult for me to put myself into his shoes and think that he should follow the money.

People want him (or any player) to take a hometown discount, but when you're comparing 35 to 38 million dollars, it doesn't seem like a major difference, but the value of those three million dollars is not to be understated.

Lastly, I also think that he's worth every penny. Whether you feel bad or not, he's getting paid market value this Summer, regardless. I'm not jealous of the people that I interact with that seemingly have it all and then some. People make sacrifices everyday and being a MULTI-MILLIONAIRE doesn't mean he should have to give up something else to even the score.

Return to Toronto Raptors