ImageImageImageImageImage

The already approaching roster crunch

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Re: The already approaching roster crunch 

Post#21 » by DelAbbot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Brinbe wrote:at some point they need to start consolidating assets.

as others have said, at worst just waive svi and brooks is probably gone.

Kinda hard when the assets you want to consolidate, suck.

Pretty sure "assets to consolidate" refer to GTJ, FVV, OG and Siakam, not these fringe guys who could be cut anytime
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#22 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm

Los_29 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:So many guys that bring no value whatsoever. Keep champagne and Banton but IMO get rid of Svi, Flynn, Thad, Brooks. I forget who else, but these guys do nothing for us long term and hold no value around the league. I'm surprised so many ppl want to bring Thad back too.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app

Thad was such a useless trade, his impact was negligible. Some will say anything to justify the trade, his veteran leadership led this team to a first round exit lol and we gave up 13 spots in the draft for no reason.

The ones who think it was a bad trade still can't give a compelling argument as to why it was bad. Hopefully one day they can and we can have a productive discussion about it. "Impact was negligible." :lol: You know what else is negligible? The difference between the 20th pick and the 33rd pick.

Funny stuff.

I ended up liking Thad and seeing his value, and wasn't too concerned about the drop in draft position. But to the more adamant defenders of the trade, how will you feel if Thad signs elsewhere? Still a good trade?

Not arguing, just curious how people will feel if he walks
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

The already approaching roster crunch 

Post#23 » by bluerap23 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Thad was such a useless trade, his impact was negligible. Some will say anything to justify the trade, his veteran leadership led this team to a first round exit lol and we gave up 13 spots in the draft for no reason.

The ones who think it was a bad trade still can't give a compelling argument as to why it was bad. Hopefully one day they can and we can have a productive discussion about it. "Impact was negligible." :lol: You know what else is negligible? The difference between the 20th pick and the 33rd pick.

Funny stuff.

I ended up liking Thad and seeing his value, and wasn't too concerned about the drop in draft position. But to the more adamant defenders of the trade, how will you feel if Thad signs elsewhere? Still a good trade?

Part of the value was to try and advance past the first round which didn’t happen but we still competed well with a contender. There is value in gaining experience for a young squad. We also avoided the playin, ensuring playoff games. At the time of the trade we were hovering at 6-7 seed territory.

Normally I would not advocate for dropping in the draft, but this particular draft was extremely flat outside the lottery. Would anyone be surprised if we drafted Koloko at 20? We have the added benefit of his contract flexibility as a 2nd rounder which was likely part of their equation.

I’m sure the haters will disagree. What else is new? Everyone here thinks they are smarter than the FO
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#24 » by Morse Code » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:56 pm

He openly admitted he was going to be bought out of not traded for. How's that for compelling lol. Even if he chose someone else and didn't sign here it's not like his impact was so big that it made the trade good. It was a bad trade but if some people want to wear rose glasses who am I to stop them.

Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 773

Post#25 » by Jerry Lucas » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm

In order to use the full MLE and bring back both Boucher and Thad for what they're going to make, Khem Birch has to be moved. Assuming he is moved, that roster spot can be used on giving Koloko an NBA deal.

Also I doubt the Raps are bringing Harris back, and David Johnson can probably just fill the final 2-way contract spot again. I doubt another team would offer David Johnson an NBA contract.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#26 » by aligator » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:04 pm

LOL....typical
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#27 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:07 pm

Jalen Harris is not playing for us.. RHJr will prob not be with the big club either… Svi can get cut too
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:08 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Funny stuff.

Part of the value was to try and advance past the first round which didn’t happen but we still competed well with a contender. There is value in gaining experience for a young squad. We also avoided the playin, ensuring playoff games. At the time of the trade we were hovering at 6-7 seed territory.

Normally I would not advocate for dropping in the draft, but this particular draft was extremely flat outside the lottery. Would anyone be surprised if we drafted Koloko at 20? We have the added benefit of his contract flexibility as a 2nd rounder which was likely part of their equation.

I’m sure the haters will disagree. What else is new? Everyone here thinks they are smarter than the FO

Lets be real, that trade was about saving money… it was spun to us as a playoff push addition. His involvement and minutes say otherwise.
bongmarley
Veteran
And1: 1,152

Post#29 » by bongmarley » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Siakam, Fred, OG, Barnes ,Trent Jr, Precious, Birch, Flynn, Koloko, Banton, J Champ, Svi/Brooks (12)

Boucher, Thad, MLE (Free Agent) (3)

Harper jr, Johnson (2 way) (2)

On
Can easily cut Svi/Brooks or Keep J Champ on 2 way for another year to make roster spots. Not really a roster crunch at all really
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#30 » by Asif16 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 pm

Just cuz we got hella players dont mean **** when it comes to a roster crunch.

Our bench is all Scrubs and trash heap outside of Precious. Roster crunch or not, our bench need a rehaul
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#31 » by ontnut » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I ended up liking Thad and seeing his value, and wasn't too concerned about the drop in draft position. But to the more adamant defenders of the trade, how will you feel if Thad signs elsewhere? Still a good trade?

Lets be real, that trade was about saving money… it was spun to us as a playoff push addition. His involvement and minutes say otherwise.

I think the saving money angle was in play too. I was 50/50 on the addition of Thad alone - he'd help but wasn't going to be a difference maker. Figured that since he wasn't playing much in SA, he might be well rested and help contribute to the playoff run with a surprise bump in production. Part of that came true. But when I saw the inclusion of the pick from 1st to 2nd round, in combination with our likely desire to re-sign Boucher (and others in the future) I really thought that we were trying to save some cap space for our draft pick, without completely dropping out of the draft. We save about $1.3 mil in salary with the trade. Not a huge amount but it could be significant for tax levels.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#32 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:21 pm

Where is Yuta in all this?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#33 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:37 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Funny stuff.

It gave us cap relief to put us at full MLE, right? If we then sign a high-impact bench player with the full MLE then it's well worth it. I suppose that's a big IF though.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#34 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Morse Code wrote:He openly admitted he was going to be bought out of not traded for.

He said he thought that. Did he ever say why he thought that? It honestly might be nothing more than the fact he wasn't playing and is old.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,827

Post#35 » by Los_29 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Morse Code wrote:He openly admitted he was going to be bought out of not traded for.

That's irrelevant because he also said that 8 teams were interested in him. Therefore we would have had to compete to get him. Moving down 13 spots insured we got him.

So no, that's not a compelling argument.
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 pm

ontnut wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:Part of the value was to try and advance past the first round which didn’t happen but we still competed well with a contender. There is value in gaining experience for a young squad. We also avoided the playin, ensuring playoff games. At the time of the trade we were hovering at 6-7 seed territory.

I think the saving money angle was in play too. I was 50/50 on the addition of Thad alone - he'd help but wasn't going to be a difference maker. Figured that since he wasn't playing much in SA, he might be well rested and help contribute to the playoff run with a surprise bump in production. Part of that came true. But when I saw the inclusion of the pick from 1st to 2nd round, in combination with our likely desire to re-sign Boucher (and others in the future) I really thought that we were trying to save some cap space for our draft pick, without completely dropping out of the draft. We save about $1.3 mil in salary with the trade. Not a huge amount but it could be significant for tax levels.

If I remember correctly - it took us out of the tax last year
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#37 » by Morse Code » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:50 pm

Los_29 wrote:

That's irrelevant because he also said that 8 teams were interested in him. Therefore we would have had to compete to get him. Moving down 13 spots insured we got him.

So no, that's not a compelling argument.
Moving down 13 spots for Thad young is a bad trade bro. We lost in the first round anyways which we knew would happen regardless and Thad sucks and he's old. Bad trade.

Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#38 » by Madhouse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:In order to use the full MLE and bring back both Boucher and Thad for what they're going to make, Khem Birch has to be moved. Assuming he is moved, that roster spot can be used on giving Koloko an NBA deal.

Also I doubt the Raps are bringing Harris back, and David Johnson can probably just fill the final 2-way contract spot again. I doubt another team would offer David Johnson an NBA contract.

I don't think Young and Boucher make over 20/21 million a year combined but maybe I'm wrong.
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#39 » by Madhouse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:16 pm

The roster crunch is nice and all but what matters is who are serious rotational level players right now?

I don't think anyone feels real good about anyone outside the top 6. So it's at least 1 of Boucher/Young and a serious MLE signing to have a decent rotation. Anyone else is rather irrelevant.
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#40 » by Madhouse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:17 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Funny stuff.

It gave us cap relief to put us at full MLE, right? If we then sign a high-impact bench player with the full MLE then it's well worth it. I suppose that's a big IF though.

Feels like we need to replace the FO with Scottie Barnes for FO. We badly need a serious MLE signing.

Return to Toronto Raptors