ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ime Udoka facing suspension

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Re: OT: Ime Udoka facing suspension 

Post#281 » by Young Moosehead » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:48 pm

Sherlock wrote:
Jay240 wrote:Based on how long the suspension might be, I have a feeling that he might have been involved with underage intern or somebody like that.

And for all those saying if it's consensual it should be ok, (I don't mean in terms of underage, but in regards of relationships with co-workers), companies have policies in place to prevent conflict of interest, favoritism, brand image etc.

But I would assume that punishments for these violations would be handled internally. So this must be really huge.

What does 'handled internally' mean for a public figure like head coach of an NBA team?

People will notice if Udoka's not at training camp. Or behind the bench on opening night.

There's only so many times you can use the excuse that he ate some bad shellfish and has the runs before people will catch on that maybe something else is going on...

If you want to handle it quietly internally the following options exist:

1) Loss of bonuses/Restructuring bonuses
2) Loss of perks/ Reduction of perks
3) Quiet dismissal of family members (if any) with bs positions on company payroll
4) Permanent/Temporary limiting input on all hiring/firing including on coaches.

All of things are private punishments the two parties could have come to terms on, saving this public fuss, if the risk of blow back on the Celtics wasnt too big. It seems that the Celtics don't believe the blow back is worth it, so instead are going the "send a message" route.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,439

Post#282 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:49 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:Plot twist. The consensual affair is with one of the players.... :o

Read on Twitter

yikes ?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,439

Post#283 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Definitely something more to this story
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#284 » by Young Moosehead » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:59 pm

douggood wrote:how long before ime is the headcoach of the nets?
celtics suspended him for season, not the league. so he is eligible to coach somewhere right away if that team is willing to deal with the PR nightmare. but by mid season the PR hit wont be that bad even negligible (unless more to this story comes out)

He is suspended. Not fired. While still under contract, I doubt he can coach for another team. He can choose to quit if he wants to coach elsewhere, but there would probably be a penalty for him to pay to get out of his contract early. He probably also cant negotiate with other teams while under suspension because he is still under contract. So there would also probably be another big investigation if he quit Celtics without being allowed to seek alternative NBA employment and he was hired by another team quickly.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,575

Post#285 » by bluerap23 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Definitely something more to this story

If non- consensual he would have been fired.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#286 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm

celtics suspended him for season, not the league. so he is eligible to coach somewhere right away if that team is willing to deal with the PR nightmare. but by mid season the PR hit wont be that bad even negligible (unless more to this story comes out)

Can he coach somewhere else? Isn't he still under contract with the Celtics?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#287 » by douggood » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:29 pm

Young Moosehead wrote:

He is suspended. Not fired. While still under contract, I doubt he can coach for another team. He can choose to quit if he wants to coach elsewhere, but there would probably be a penalty for him to pay to get out of his contract early. He probably also cant negotiate with other teams while under suspension because he is still under contract. So there would also probably be another big investigation if he quit Celtics without being allowed to seek alternative NBA employment and he was hired by another team quickly.

he still is under contract, but the leagues expectations its they will part ways sooner than later. celtics dont want to undermine thier coach this season and have the question of ime coming back next season, was only suspended vs fired for legal reason. and ime probably doesnt want to come back as well. its just negotiating the buyout at this point and the celtics deciding if they are within rights to fire him for cause and give him no money.

WOJ "In talking to some other organizations today, he may become a candidate or a coach of interest for other jobs that might open or might become open during the season or certainly next season."

WOJ "the decision to impose a one-year suspension rather than firing Udoka right away could be “legal protection” for the organization."

Read on Twitter
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#288 » by pingpongrac » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:32 pm

Sure are a lot of stupid and gross takes in this thread. Jeez.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#289 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:36 pm

pingpongrac wrote:Sure are a lot of stupid and gross takes in this thread. Jeez.

You knew what site you were signing up for.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#290 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:43 pm

douggood wrote:he still is under contract, but the leagues expectations its they will part ways sooner than later. celtics dont want to undermine thier coach this season and have the question of ime coming back next season, and ime probably doesnt want to come back as well. its just negotiating the buyout at this point.

WOJ "In talking to some other organizations today, he may become a candidate or a coach of interest for other jobs that might open or might become open during the season or certainly next season."

WOJ "the decision to impose a one-year suspension rather than firing Udoka right away could be “legal protection” for the organization."

What is he, his agent? No one is hiring this dude this year or next, and I suspect never again. An NBA coach can clip their mug shot to their resume from a domestic assault charge, but you can't mess with the corporate culture.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#291 » by ruckus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:Sure are a lot of stupid and gross takes in this thread. Jeez.

You knew what site you were signing up for.

And yet I still get surprised by the misogyny. Never change RealGM. Never change.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#292 » by brownbobcat » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:53 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:No, it doesn't. But a superior can fire/suspend you for looking at them the wrong way, let alone having an affair with their wife. This is a personal vendetta if true.

Employment contracts are a thing and this is an extremely high-profile situation. Some random VP is not behind this suspension just because he feels like it or was mad about an affair. There's a lot more here and it sure doesn't sound like Udoka is contesting it.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#293 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:00 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:No, it doesn't. But a superior can fire/suspend you for looking at them the wrong way, let alone having an affair with their wife. This is a personal vendetta if true.

Employment contracts are a thing and this is an extremely high-profile situation. Some random VP is not behind this suspension just because he feels like it or was mad about an affair. There's a lot more here and it sure doesn't sound like Udoka is contesting it.

This is also a sports franchise. Does anyone think any of the Raptors "VPs" could fire Nurse because he looked at them wrong?
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,135

Post#294 » by billy_hoyle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:17 pm

The American system is far too litigious. Celtics open themselves up to lawsuits if they don't suspend/fire someone over something that might be best kept out of the public eye, as it might be a personal matter, a human matter.

This litigiousness is fostered by vocal moralists (in this case religious, and work place equality zealots).

Need to de-couple corporate responsibility and their employees personal behaviours. Grey areas are being wiped out, currently in favor of the moralists (i.e. NO sexual relationships at work), reducing and restricting natural human behaviors. It should be the other way. The company is not liable for an employee's action that is not directly related to the business. Businesses are required to provide a safe work environment, full stop. Sex with a a colleague isn't inherently a safety risk. It just isn't.

Of course, there is no grey area in harrassment. That's an easily categorized safety issue (mental health).

I have no idea what's actually happened. Just responding to the morality police that piously post in everyone of these types of threads.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#295 » by douggood » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#296 » by will » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:31 pm

douggood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh baby.

Law firms!
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#297 » by Ado05 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:58 pm

My guess is he goes to the Spurs after Pop retires. That is, if he ever gets to coach again.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#298 » by Courtside » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:05 pm

If it was consensual but violation of policies, then it's probably got something to do with use of Celtics offices, facilities or even finances for their, uh, activities. Or with a person whose got family connection to Cs ownership or management. If it was a pattern with more than one woman and considered predatory, then that would probably do it too. I'm hoping it wasn't because the woman was white, or that it wasn't a woman at all, because the organization would face a major backlash if they went into discrimination territory.

Only speculating here, due to the severity of the punishment to such a high profile and key member of the team, and whose removal could have a major impact on the court in terms if wins and losses. If you're a legit contender wanting to repeat your Finals appearance, you don't do this for some relatively common violation of emplyment policy.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,857

Post#299 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Courtside wrote:If it was consensual but violation of policies, then it's probably got something to do with use of Celtics offices, facilities or even finances for their, uh, activities. Or with a person whose got family connection to Cs ownership or management. If it was a pattern with more than one woman and considered predatory, then that would probably do it too. I'm hoping it wasn't because the woman was white, or that it wasn't a woman at all, because the organization would face a major backlash if they went into discrimination territory.

Only speculating here, due to the severity of the punishment to such a high profile and key member of the team, and whose removal could have a major impact on the court in terms if wins and losses. If you're a legit contender wanting to repeat your Finals appearance, you don't do this for some relatively common violation of emplyment policy.

Something can be literally consensual, but still be an abusive of power. If Ime told the women that she would have to sleep with him to get ahead in the organization, or implied that, and then she slept with him at a later date - That would be "consensual", but would still be an abuse of power on Ime's part.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#300 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:26 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:The American system is far too litigious. Celtics open themselves up to lawsuits if they don't suspend/fire someone over something that might be best kept out of the public eye, as it might be a personal matter, a human matter.

This litigiousness is fostered by vocal moralists (in this case religious, and work place equality zealots).

Need to de-couple corporate responsibility and their employees personal behaviours. Grey areas are being wiped out, currently in favor of the moralists (i.e. NO sexual relationships at work), reducing and restricting natural human behaviors. It should be the other way. The company is not liable for an employee's action that is not directly related to the business. Businesses are required to provide a safe work environment, full stop. Sex with a a colleague isn't inherently a safety risk. It just isn't.

Of course, there is no grey area in harrassment. That's an easily categorized safety issue (mental health).

I have no idea what's actually happened. Just responding to the morality police that piously post in everyone of these types of threads.

Sexual relationships at work can definitely directly relate to the business of a business.

Return to Toronto Raptors