ImageImageImageImageImage

2022-23 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Re: 2022-23 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1.0 

Post#601 » by Spida888 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:11 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:Any chance we can acquire De'Aron Fox somehow? Without trading Barnes.

I'd love to pair up Fox and Barnes together, preferably with OG. Fox is locked into a great deal for years to come.

I would think little to no chance. Don't see the Kings making big moves this season. They're heading for the playoffs after a 16 year drought. Just making it is likely a victory. No need to rock the boat just yet.
elecblue
Junior
And1: 424

Post#602 » by elecblue » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:55 pm

gpoon wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:I can't be the only person who wants to re-sign Gary am I?

Fred is playing well enough to trade him now.

Gary is young enough to stay no matter what direction the team goes an and we are going to need his shooting.

I also think Gary's finishing is one of the least talked about encouraging developments of the year.

He's just starting to figure out how to pass and I think he's going to be even better next year.

He plays well with Pascal and Scottie too.

I know this is going to be going too far for some posters here but I would rather trade 1 or 2 of Fred, Pascal and/or OG and keep Gary as a part of the Scottie and Precious core.

We need his scoring, spacing and guard play on both sides of the ball.

I agree with you I would like to resign Gary as well, given his age he will still be an asset for future trades if it doesn't work out. would be silly to just let him walk.

GTJ is the only plus shooter on this team this year, I'd gladly overpay him to stay given his age and skill (shooting). BUT, with the strange exclusion from Masai when talking about the core of this team, and Nurse publicly calling him out and briefly demoting him to the bench, I seriously worry that he will leave even with a strong offer from us. The chemistry thing is tricky, we don't get the full pictures, but something is clearly off. We can't afford to see Trent walk for nothing, so I understand the urgency to trade him now.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#603 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:49 am

Masai doesn't have the balls to trade Fred and do a proper reconstruction of the roster.... i expect Collangelo type fringe trades, the loss of Gary, at best...
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#604 » by navyblue » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:Masai doesn't have the balls to trade Fred and do a proper reconstruction of the roster.... i expect Collangelo type fringe trades, the loss of Gary, at best...

Guy traded melo, DeMar, Lowry etc but will draw the line at trading fvv?
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#605 » by Thaddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 am

navyblue wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:Masai doesn't have the balls to trade Fred and do a proper reconstruction of the roster.... i expect Collangelo type fringe trades, the loss of Gary, at best...

Re-signing Fred and trading him later will work a lot better than trading him right now. The front office must think GTJ is a goner and trading him for something is better than nothing, we should have considered this in the off-season but chose to sit on our hands...

GTJ for Poeltl makes us better and it would just come down to how well Siakam, OG, and Fred shoot. We are at the point where expecting them to shoot better than 38% (league average) from 3pt range isn't a crazy expectation. Yet these guys have been bad from three:

OG: 36% on 5.3 attempts
Fred: 34% on 8.6 attempts
Siakam: 32% on 4.1 attempts
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#606 » by SurgeIblocka » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:48 am

Thaddy wrote:
navyblue wrote:

Re-signing Fred and trading him later will work a lot better than trading him right now. The front office must think GTJ is a goner and trading him for something is better than nothing, we should have considered this in the off-season but chose to sit on our hands...

GTJ for Poeltl makes us better and it would just come down to how well Siakam, OG, and Fred shoot. We are at the point where expecting them to shoot better than 38% (league average) from 3pt range isn't a crazy expectation. Yet these guys have been bad from three:

Fred at 28 Mil to 30 Mil per year means his trade value will be a negative guaranteed! Thats what you should expect if you sign and trade him later as that is what hes looking for. Some stupid team will give him that in free agency like the Magic, Kings, and no one is sending you a star back if we do a sign and trade. If you want to trade him now is the time to do it
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#607 » by Ell Curry » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:21 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Fast_Feets wrote:Brandon Ingram? 25 yrs old and a KD lite like player that could work wonders iso and cutting off ball with barnes as the delivery guy.

Can shoot 3s

He's on the same timeline as Zion. Can't see why they'd move him.

There's rumours the Pels are mad he isn't playing yet, and he says he can't push off without pain, and his whole game is about doing that with the ball. So maybe a Kawhi-lite situation we could profit off of.

Though ironically, he's a lot like Demar if he could hit 3s and the reputation of being a meh and not bad defender. Also his height and 3pt shooting gives you hope he could make more tough shots in the playoffs, which Demar ultimately couldn't, and without the threat of a 3 to make those shots a bit easier, he was cooked.

OG is a really nice fit there, and if they're deeply in love with Dyson Daniels and Trey Murphy, something like OG, Boucher, a first rounder and the pick we get for moving Trent is interesting. They have a ton of picks, but they can always trade up or use Nance, Graham, or Boucher's deals to get a point guard with their picks. There's also the idea of Van Vleet and OG for Ingram and Graham. If we can get Poeltl for Trent in a 3 way then I guess we pray to move up in the draft and get Scoot, or settle for the best guard available. I'd say we could move the pick for a PG like we did to get Lowry, but I don't see that promising a backup PG out there. I don't see that solid starter you could get for say the 11th pick in the draft. There really aren't that many Van Vleets around. The dropoff in PGs is steep and Fred is at the bottom of a strong tier.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#608 » by Ell Curry » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:47 am

Is there a Siakam for a star guard trade on the table? Like would the Bulls kick in serious picks with Lavine or the Wizards with Beal for that deal? It would have to be an unprotected pick from Chicago or Patrick Williams, and probably 3 from Washington as Beal's contract is genuinely terrifying.

Poeltl-Koloko
Barnes-Precious
OG-Pat Williams
Lavine-#10 pick
VanVleet-#10 pick

It's definitely treadmilly, but it also looks like a decent basketball team and if we're say +2 in picks, or (+ 1 and we get Lonzo for Boucher), that's not horrific if we can turn those picks and Boucher into a decent 15M type 3rd guard.

Big bet on Barnes to just be a different player at the 4, but he really should be. He's a pretty damn archetypal fit as a 4 in the modern NBA. He'd need to become a serious #2 scorer, though he'd have good spacing and a passing 5 to work with. He'd have to just eat up 4s by facing up and beating them and drawing doubles and living at the free throw line. A guy at 15-7-4 at age 21 really should get there.

Upsetting how well Donovan Mitchell fits there. Poeltl-Barnes-OG-Mitchell-VanVleet just looks like a beautifully balanced team, even if Mitchell has to get 40 a night in the playoffs.
Where's the D?
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,289

Post#609 » by Tripod » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:30 pm

No Raps lineup with Fred looks beautiful anymore.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Post#610 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Thaddy wrote:
navyblue wrote:

No it won't
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#611 » by StopitLeo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:16 pm

Denver looks great but I don't think they have the defence to go all the way in the playoffs. Perhaps they would be interested in something based around OG and MPJ?

Something like: OG + Boucher/Thad for MPJ + Bruce Brown

OG significantly improves Denver's defence and he is an above-average 3pt shooter so they aren't losing that. Boucher or Thad add depth upfront and are needed to make the salary work (Thad would need another smaller contract). Thad's veteran experience might be preferable to Boucher. Thad is also a great passer so that would work well with the Nuggets' system.

MPJ gives Toronto a much needed dynamic scorer with size to help Pascal offensively. Obviously there is risk with MPJ's health history so maybe a pick needs to be included. Toronto can't afford to do a 2 for 1 with their current lack of depth so Brown is included; he's a solid rotation player on a cheap 1 year deal.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#612 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:23 pm

StopitLeo wrote:Denver looks great but I don't think they have the defence to go all the way in the playoffs. Perhaps they would be interested in something based around OG and MPJ?

OG significantly improves Denver's defence and he is an above-average 3pt shooter so they aren't losing that. Boucher or Thad add depth upfront and are needed to make the salary work (Thad would need another smaller contract). Thad's veteran experience might be preferable to Boucher. Thad is also a great passer so that would work well with the Nuggets' system.

MPJ gives Toronto a much needed dynamic scorer with size to help Pascal offensively. Obviously there is risk with MPJ's health history so maybe a pick needs to be included. Toronto can't afford to do a 2 for 1 with their current lack of depth so Brown is included; he's a solid rotation player on a cheap 1 year deal.

I think MPJ is viewed as a bad/negative contract around the league. He's a good player but not a max level guy. He's owed 35-40 million for the next few seasons and he's a big injury risk. Can't see it happening unless DEN is sending lots of picks back.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#613 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:32 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:Denver looks great but I don't think they have the defence to go all the way in the playoffs. Perhaps they would be interested in something based around OG and MPJ?

I think MPJ is viewed as a bad/negative contract around the league. He's a good player but not a max level guy. He's owed 35-40 million for the next few seasons and he's a big injury risk. Can't see it happening unless DEN is sending lots of picks back.

ya i kinda feel bad for Denver because MPJ conned them rather than lose him for nothing. banking on his development is nonsensical esp when you already Jokic and Murray. he's their version of Tobias Harris and now I'm underrating Tobias Harris (who only has 2 years left as well)
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#614 » by bballsparkin » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Just say no to MPJ. Especially as a return for OG.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Post#615 » by HumbleRen » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 pm

MPJ works some what works in Denver because Jokic is like 20 tiers above Siakam as a player.

MPJ would be a disaster with us.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,159

Post#616 » by TorontoBarneys » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:59 pm

Is there a trade available with the Wizards for Fred?

Something like FVV for Will Barton, Nunn, change and picks? They get Fred's bird rights and someone to pair along Beal if they are going for the play-in championship, we get picks and big expirings so we can sign both GTJ & Poeltl in the off-season.

More moves could be made to give us even more cap space if available, like Boucher for Oubre.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#617 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:02 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:Is there a trade available with the Wizards for Fred?

Something like FVV for Will Barton, Nunn, change and picks? They get Fred's bird rights and someone to pair along Beal if they are going for the play-in championship, we get picks and big expirings so we can sign both GTJ & Poeltl in the off-season.

More moves could be made to give us even more cap space if available, like Boucher for Oubre.

I'd be ok with garbage+their 2023 pick for Fred. Though their pick is lotto protected, so whatever it turns into if the pick is conveyed to the Knicks this year needs to make sense for us too.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#618 » by alevirfe » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:10 am

I think Cleveland says no, but:

CLE out: Mobley & Garland
CLE in: Siakam & OG

I actually think this balances Cle's roster really well, but definitely puts them on the clock
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst
And1: 4,098

Post#619 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:34 am

Pascal to blazers for simons, sharpe, hart
OG to pelicans for daniels, murphy, LA pick
FVV to Orlando for Mo bamba, Cole Anthony, pick

here are your trades Masai :]
114-110... "Curry lets it fly...CANADA THE NBA TITLE IS YOURS."
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Post#620 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 am

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Pascal to blazers for simons, sharpe, hart
OG to pelicans for daniels, murphy, LA pick
FVV to Orlando for Mo bamba, Cole Anthony, pick

here are your trades Masai :]

FVV to Orlando one seems the most likely out of these 3 options.

Return to Toronto Raptors