ImageImageImageImageImage

2022-23 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,635

Re: 2022-23 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1.0 

Post#661 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:16 pm

Dyehardrapsfan wrote:Would anyone object to the Raptors getting some bench players that could shoot the three? Brooklyn nets: have patty mills, Seth curry?

Shooting doesn't fit the Raptors mold.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#662 » by StopitLeo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:56 pm

If you aren’t high on Anthony Edwards you’ll hate the proposed deal:

TOR trades FVV + OG + 2023 protected (top 3) FRP + 2025 protected (top 3) FRP

MIN trades Edwards + Russell + McDaniels

Minnesota commits to their KAT/Gobert plan by bringing in two high-level defenders and 3 pt shooters that will compliment KAT on offense and support Gobert on defense. Talent-wise they give up the best player in Edwards (offensively) but FVV and OG provide better balance on both ends, especially after seeing how a ball-dominant guard (i.e., Mitchell) didn’t work with Gobert in Utah. The picks are needed because of FVV and OG’s contract status and the risk of not being able to re-sign them even if they can offer them the most money.

Toronto makes this move believing that Edwards is going to be one of the best SGs in the league. His explosive scoring from the guard spot compliments Pascal offensively and he has potential to become a solid defender with his athleticism and strength. They have to give up the picks because Edwards is still on his rookie deal. McDaniels is a nice young prospect also on his rookie contract; I think he’s shown enough potential to offset the lack of protection beyond top 3. Russell is primarily in the trade for salary purposes but he can certainly contribute this year.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,204

Post#663 » by MoneyBall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:50 pm

^^^ wow I was gonna post just about the same trade idea but you got in there faster. I'm not even particularly high on Edwards, but I can see him thrive in the right setting. I say no to two FRP. I'd rather leave McDaniels out of that deal and keep our 2025 pick.

I think Minny would be hard pressed to keep that group together after they sign them to new contracts. Financially it doesn't seen plausible, but who knows.

Also funny to imagine FVV and OG shipped out together so they can be teammates somewhere else.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#664 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:10 pm

StopitLeo wrote:If you aren’t high on Anthony Edwards you’ll hate the proposed deal:

Minnesota commits to their KAT/Gobert plan by bringing in two high-level defenders and 3 pt shooters that will compliment KAT on offense and support Gobert on defense. Talent-wise they give up the best player in Edwards (offensively) but FVV and OG provide better balance on both ends, especially after seeing how a ball-dominant guard (i.e., Mitchell) didn’t work with Gobert in Utah. The picks are needed because of FVV and OG’s contract status and the risk of not being able to re-sign them even if they can offer them the most money.

Toronto makes this move believing that Edwards is going to be one of the best SGs in the league. His explosive scoring from the guard spot compliments Pascal offensively and he has potential to become a solid defender with his athleticism and strength. They have to give up the picks because Edwards is still on his rookie deal. McDaniels is a nice young prospect also on his rookie contract; I think he’s shown enough potential to offset the lack of protection beyond top 3. Russell is primarily in the trade for salary purposes but he can certainly contribute this year.

Sign me up for that deal, but don't think Minny does it... At the very least you'd probably have to take McDaniels & if we're lucky one of our 1sts out of the deal...

TOR trades FVV + OG + 2023 protected (top 3) FRP or 2025 protected (top 3) FRP

MIN trades Edwards + Russell
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#665 » by Pointgod » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:18 pm

StopitLeo wrote:If you aren’t high on Anthony Edwards you’ll hate the proposed deal:

So we get a player with all NBA potential that’s still on his rookie contract, a great defensive forward and we can also clear a ton of salary with Russell’s expiring contract? Sign me up but Minnesota will kindly tell us to get **** haha
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,001

Post#666 » by anotherhomer » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:

Sign me up for that deal, but don't think Minny does it... At the very least you'd probably have to take McDaniels & if we're lucky one of our 1sts out of the deal...

They still won't do it.

U can offer 3 unprotected, and they still wont
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,160

Post#667 » by TorontoBarneys » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:37 pm

Mitchell got 3 picks, 2 swaps, and 3 serious prospects as return for the Jazz. I wouldn't deal Siakam for anything less.

If Siakam is being dealt out I don't want some lame 4-5 late 1sts and filler package like you'd get from the likes of Dallas.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,327

Post#668 » by douggood » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:41 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:Mitchell got 3 picks, 2 swaps, and 3 serious prospects as return for the Jazz. I wouldn't deal Siakam for anything less.

If Siakam is being dealt out I don't want some lame 4-5 late 1sts and filler package like you'd get from the likes of Dallas.

mitchell also had 3 years left on his contract vs pascal 1.5
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#669 » by dagger » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 pm

Minnesota is more likely to trade KAT than Edwards. Though unlikely to trade KAT.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,160

Post#670 » by TorontoBarneys » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 pm

douggood wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:Mitchell got 3 picks, 2 swaps, and 3 serious prospects as return for the Jazz. I wouldn't deal Siakam for anything less.

mitchell also had 3 years left on his contract vs pascal 1.5

I think this part is being overstated. The team that trades for him get his full bird rights and his new contract might be quite affordable under the new TV deal, even if it is supermax, which I'd say looks increasingly unlikely the more mediocre we are.

It's not like Siakam is some diva or even a 1-year rental, you get 1.5 years plus quite high control over his new contract/extension. It's not bad.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#671 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:02 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

They still won't do it.

U can offer 3 unprotected, and they still wont

Ya thanks, I'm aware.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,060

Post#672 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 pm

They wouldn't even take Scottie and our 2023 pick for Edwards lol.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#673 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:19 pm

HumbleRen wrote:They wouldn't even take Scottie and our 2023 pick for Edwards lol.

Since your one of the most vocal proponents on this board about making moves, I'm curious to hear what realistic trades you'd do to improve this team?
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#674 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:20 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:They wouldn't even take Scottie and our 2023 pick for Edwards lol.

Since your one of the most vocal proponents on this board about making moves, I'm curious to hear what realistic trades you'd do to improve this team?

To improve ? None.

I'm on the side of taking a step back with a trade, not a win now trade.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#675 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

To improve ? None.

Ok, so what would you do if you're Masai/Bobby... No trades & just tank?
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#676 » by HumbleRen » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:25 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

To improve ? None.

I wouldn't trade OG or Siakam at the deadline. I'd revisit that in the off season where it's much easier to make a trade and to get a bigger return package.

I'd be trying to move FVV and GTJ this deadline if his next contract is too rich for the Raptors tastes.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#677 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
To improve ? None.

I wouldn't trade OG or Siakam at the deadline. I'd revisit that in the off season where it's much easier to make a trade and to get a bigger return package.

I'd be trying to move FVV and GTJ this deadline if his next contract is too rich for the Raptors tastes.

Yep agreed... So realistically what would you move FVV & Trent for, if their contract aspirations are too high?
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#678 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

Yep agreed... So realistically what would you move FVV & Trent for, if their contract aspirations are too high?

There are lots of potential landing spots for them both.

I would look at dealing Siakam too. Gotta remember that whatever team that is interested in trading for Siakam would only have him for one playoff run if he's dealt in the offseason, as opposed to two if you dealt him at the deadline.

Not to mention you always get less when you're trading an expiring contract. We can't afford to take pennies on the dollar for our All-NBAer.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,204

Post#679 » by MoneyBall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:28 pm

dagger wrote:

Minnesota is more likely to trade KAT than Edwards. Though unlikely to trade KAT.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Edwards just needs one or two more seasons like this one where his progress flatlines and his all so valuable perceived super star potential evaporates.

Barrett went from potential franchise player to disappointment in a real hurry.
Bomboclot416
Sophomore
And1: 115

Karl Anthony towns? 

Post#680 » by Bomboclot416 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:18 am

Minnesota plays better when centred around Anthony edwards.

They spent their load on getting gobert…who as a team player is better than kat.

Kat could be the perfect centre on a team that looks to need more wing support.

We are loaded with guards and wings.

Could we get away with a Fred, Boucher or are they wanting a ton more? Is an og for kat deal worth it? Is it worth it to go for bigger and try and get Russell as well? Historic underperformer on a large contract.

Return to Toronto Raptors