ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline Rumours & Discussion Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Re: Raptors Trade Deadline Rumours & Discussion Thread 

Post#341 » by Pointgod » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:59 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:I dont see many FVV deals out there right now that would make sense for us or other teams at deadline. Likely will have to wait for offseason

Bulls (Ball, Williams and White), Wolves (swap Russell for FVV but try to get Reid and another young prospect off them), Mavs (probably a 3 way if another team wants Hardaway) are some possibilities.

The Bulls aren’t putting Williams in a package for Fred despite how mediocre I believe he is. I like the idea of trading for Lonzo and White but Lonzo’s knee scares the **** out of me if it’s completely ****. The Bulls can throw in the Portland pick or another asset to improve our guard depth and we can throw in a bunch of front court pieces like Keem Birch, Thad because lord knows they need it. I don’t see two teams so close to the play in trading with each other though.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#342 » by Raptors_128 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:01 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:I heard on the latest Zach Lowe pod with guest Bill Simmons a trade rumor of OG Anunoby & filler (Thad?) for Keegan Murray and Harrison Barnes.

What do you guys think?

If Keegan Murray is on the table for OG then I’m listening. That’s a good starting point.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#343 » by Pointgod » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:03 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
TravisScott55 wrote:I heard on the latest Zach Lowe pod with guest Bill Simmons a trade rumor of OG Anunoby & filler (Thad?) for Keegan Murray and Harrison Barnes.

What do you guys think?

Barnes is UFA, so his value to the Raptors is filler. He's also better than OG right now overall. Sacramento is probably going to value Murray pretty significantly as an asset that can appreciate over his rookie contract. I'm guessing Simmons proposed this, because it makes little sense for either team.

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#344 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:20 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

What do you guys think?

Barnes is UFA, so his value to the Raptors is filler. He's also better than OG right now overall. Sacramento is probably going to value Murray pretty significantly as an asset that can appreciate over his rookie contract. I'm guessing Simmons proposed this, because it makes little sense for either team.

Barnes really better than OG?

I feel like guys like Simmons and other Americans see the Raptors as a source of talent to make other teams better. They don't look into or care how it affects the Raps.

I still like PER as a quick and dirty assessment of what a player brings to a team. Interesting that the Kings' top two players (Sabonis and Fox) have a higher PER than the Raptors' top two players. Of course, it doesn't help that the Raps don't even have a #2 player worthy of the designation. Malik Monk has a higher PER than any of our other four starters after Pascal. :nonono:

Anyway, for what it's worth, O.G.'s PER of 15.5 is higher than H. Barnes' PER of 14.9. And then when you add in the defensive capability, there's no comparison. But if Masai believes in Murray - and a lot of people seem to - this is the sort of trade that should be made.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,951

Post#345 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:26 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

I feel like guys like Simmons and other Americans see the Raptors as a source of talent to make other teams better. They don't look into or care how it affects the Raps.

I still like PER as a quick and dirty assessment of what a player brings to a team. Interesting that the Kings' top two players (Sabonis and Fox) have a higher PER than the Raptors' top two players. Of course, it doesn't help that the Raps don't even have a #2 player worthy of the designation. Malik Monk has a higher PER than any of our other four starters after Pascal. :nonono:

Anyway, for what it's worth, O.G.'s PER of 15.5 is higher than H. Barnes' PER of 14.9. And then when you add in the defensive capability, there's no comparison. But if Masai believes in Murray - and a lot of people seem to - this is the sort of trade that should be made.

I don't even think Hollinger would use PER anymore.

I should have qualified it that Barnes is arguably better. He's a better offensive player. OG is the best wing defender in the NBA. Barnes isn't terrible as a defender. The difference isn't worth their best prospect, imo, and the Raptors don't need to trade OG, so... this is a dumb trade for Sacramento to consider and I can see why a rival proposed it.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#346 » by Spida888 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:30 pm

Sacramento probably just stays the course, they haven't made the playoffs for so long that even just making it would be a win for them this season.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#347 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:32 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
suggestion not legit. Lowe spoke to a guy from a rival team about kings and said they should go after OG with that package. 1:17

Right, so a rival suggested that the Kings should get better? No, they thought of a stupid trade for the Kings to make, and one that only marginally is beneficial to the Raptors.

Listen to podcast before speaking

I'm going off your paraphrasing. That's on you :lol:
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,828

Post#348 » by TravisScott55 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:39 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:

What do you guys think?

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,400

Post#349 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:39 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Right, so a rival suggested that the Kings should get better? No, they thought of a stupid trade for the Kings to make, and one that only marginally is beneficial to the Raptors.

Lowe speaks to many people within teams not necessarily team execs and this trade isn’t all that crazy considering the type of prospect murray is. Even so, you think barnes is better than og so you’re pretty clueless either way
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,993

Post#350 » by anotherhomer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Lowe speaks to many people within teams not necessarily team execs and this trade isn’t all that crazy considering the type of prospect murray is. Even so, you think barnes is better than og so you’re pretty clueless either way

I get that Keegan great prospect but not sure why raps do that tho

Raps need a 3 lvl scoring prospect with good off ball shooting who has size and passable on defense
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#351 » by douggood » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:21 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

Raps need a 3 lvl scoring prospect with good off ball shooting who has size and passable on defense

its not like the raptors are putting the finishing touches on a championship team. goal is to get better/more assets, more flexibility. keegan is on a rookie deal with upside.
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Post#352 » by LarSiN » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:29 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:

What do you guys think?

LOL, whaaaat ?? Did you seriously just say that Harrison Barnes is better than OG ???? Wooow
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#353 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:32 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Barnes really better than OG?

I don't even think Hollinger would use PER anymore.

Well, ESPN does. Basketball-reference.com also still include PER as one of their stats.

It ultimately comes down to an eye/smell test, and from comparing the PER leaders to the Win Share leaders, I'd have to say PER is in better accordance with my humble opinion. Unless you agree with WS that Sabonis is the third best player in the league, Giannis is #18, and Pascal is not in the top 20 (while DeMar is #12). Giannis climbs back to #10 under VORP, still behind Sabonis, Haliburton and Donovan Mitchell and slightly ahead of Julius Randle (!?!)

Oddly, they don't have net Offensive rating - defensive rating. NBA.com does feature a net rating stat, with the top two spots going to:

Spoiler:
Rudy Gay and KCP

Ooookay.

Jokic is #3, and a bunch of nobodies (and Aaron Gordon) round out Top Ten.

For PIE, the top 10 looks legit. Way down the list, Harrison Barnes is #97, and OG is at #100. Interestingly, Obi Toppin is #87, and Keldon Johnson (who Spurs drafted with the pick we sent in the Kawhi trade and who I've always considered to be the dictionary definition of a replacement-level player) is #89. Drew Eubanks, is #91. Personally, I’d rather have OG than Eubanks, who admittedly sports a slightly higher PER than OG. Speaking of Masai/Bobby mistakes, Yuta and OPJ are tied.

An interesting diversion on a Saturday afternoon, but it does raise the question of the extent to which we overrate our own players, even such a sought-after piece like OG. Pascal barely scrapes the top 20 in these lists, if he shows up at all. Raps have had such a miserable season, which kills a lot of the advanced stats based on plus/minus. But you need talent to win. Do we have nearly enough?
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Post#354 » by LarSiN » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Or we could just compare actual stats

FG% - 467 vs 481
Ft% - 836 vs 823
3pt - 74 vs 64
Pts - 692 vs 609
Rbs - 222 vs 209
Ast - 81 vs 70
Stl - 86 vs 35
Blk - 30 vs 5
TO - 88 vs 50
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#355 » by Pointgod » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:51 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

What do you guys think?

I listened to the podcast and Simmons admitted that he’s higher on Keegan Murray (who’s the actual prize for the Raptors) than most and lower on OG than most. And it was Lowe that brought up that some basketball person had said the Kings should go after OG while Simmons was originally trying to get the Kangz to go after Paul George.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant

Post#356 » by anotherhomer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:20 pm

Pointgod wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

I listened to the podcast and Simmons admitted that he’s higher on Keegan Murray (who’s the actual prize for the Raptors) than most and lower on OG than most. And it was Lowe that brought up that some basketball person had said the Kings should go after OG while Simmons was originally trying to get the Kangz to go after Paul George.

Right now, I see Keegan obviously not as good on defense but offense is the same.

And he plays the same position as barnes and pascal
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#357 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:51 pm

LarSiN wrote:Or we could just compare actual stats

FG% - 467 vs 481
Ft% - 836 vs 823
3pt - 74 vs 64
Pts - 692 vs 609
Rbs - 222 vs 209
Ast - 81 vs 70
Stl - 86 vs 35
Blk - 30 vs 5
TO - 88 vs 50

This is almost as bad as PER.

Let's do per36 and TS

TS .571 vs .631
pts 17.7 vs 16.7
rbs 5.7 vs 5.7
ast 2.1 vs 1.9
stl 2.2 vs. 1.0
blk 0.8 vs. 0.1
to 2.3 vs. 1.4

Seems like what I said, Barnes is a better offensive player and Anunoby is a better defensive player. The advantage Sacramento would be receiving is through growth potential of OG, but they'd be losing out on cheaper growth potential of Murray and production of Barnes. The Raptors would presumably do this to get younger, cheaper, and so have no long term interest in Barnes. And that's what I said, he'd be filler for the Raptors, and Sacramento wouldn't gain much advantage here. Dumb trade proposal for both teams.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,221

Post#358 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:57 pm

if we are gonna trade OG, I'd rather trade him with Trent for an upgrade.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant

Post#359 » by anotherhomer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:58 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
LarSiN wrote:Or we could just compare actual stats

FG% - 467 vs 481
Ft% - 836 vs 823
3pt - 74 vs 64
Pts - 692 vs 609
Rbs - 222 vs 209
Ast - 81 vs 70
Stl - 86 vs 35
Blk - 30 vs 5
TO - 88 vs 50

This is almost as bad as PER.

Let's do per36 and TS

TS .571 vs .631
pts 17.7 vs 16.7
rbs 5.7 vs 5.7
ast 2.1 vs 1.9
stl 2.2 vs. 1.0
blk 0.8 vs. 0.1
to 2.3 vs. 1.4

Seems like what I said, Barnes is a better offensive player and Anunoby is a better defensive player. The advantage Sacramento would be receiving is through growth potential of OG, but they'd be losing out on cheaper growth potential of Murray and production of Barnes. The Raptors would presumably do this to get younger, cheaper, and so have no long term interest in Barnes. And that's what I said, he'd be filler for the Raptors, and Sacramento wouldn't gain much advantage here. Dumb trade proposal for both teams.

Is a deal that doesn't make sense

Og really comes down to, which team feels he's the missing piece and what they willing to offer
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,599

Post#360 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:59 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

What’s the beef then ?

OG and Barnes are the only two on my untouchable list, but I would do it for Keegan. Definitely.

Return to Toronto Raptors