ImageImageImageImageImage

Return of the Yak: The Everything Jakob Poeltl Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Re: Return of the Yak: The Everything Jakob Poeltl Thread 

Post#221 » by Vorticity » Wed Apr 5, 2023 9:56 pm

the FT shooting will be interesting to see in Play/in-offs series, will they "Hack a Yak"?
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,328

Post#222 » by Shakril » Thu Apr 6, 2023 4:03 pm

After Yesterdays game against Boston, i would not be surprised if Poeltl decides not to resign.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,440

Post#223 » by KL78192020 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 7:05 pm

Shakril wrote:After Yesterdays game against Boston, i would not be surprised if Poeltl decides not to resign.

Would be epic if the spurs signed him back, lol they have tonnes of cap space.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#224 » by will » Thu Apr 6, 2023 8:14 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
Shakril wrote:After Yesterdays game against Boston, i would not be surprised if Poeltl decides not to resign.

Between those 2 resigning to big deals, no longer able to secure a top 5 lotto pick, and the possibility of Yakub Purrtllll not resigning.

Hoooooo No.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,865

Post#225 » by Duffman100 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 8:26 pm

KL78192020 wrote:

I don’t think you’re allowed to sign someone who you traded in the prior season.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#226 » by KL78192020 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 8:44 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

I don’t think you’re allowed to sign someone who you traded in the prior season.

This is incorrect. You can't sign back someone you traded and got bought out during the season, but you can sign back some you traded away on July 1st. They couldn't re-acquire him if the Raptors had waived him or bought him out. But he's fair game July 1st.

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,865

Post#227 » by Duffman100 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 8:47 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

This is incorrect. You can't sign back someone you traded and got bought out during the season, but you can sign back some you traded away on July 1st. They couldn't re-acquire him if the Raptors had waived him or bought him out. But he's fair game July 1st.

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

Ah fair! Good to know!
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,577

Post#228 » by DG88 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 9:11 pm

KL78192020 wrote:

If that happened I can only imagine the vitrol fans would be throwing at the front office.

Now I highly doubt this will happen they wouldn't have traded for Poeltl if they didn't get any assurances that he'd re-sign.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#229 » by KL78192020 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 9:18 pm

DG88 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

If that happened I can only imagine the vitrol fans would be throwing at the front office.

Now I highly doubt this will happen they wouldn't have traded for Poeltl if they didn't get any assurances that he'd re-sign.

Yea i doubt it happens. But imagine signing back Yak and making the Raptors pick they are owed next better by making the Raptors worse.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,328

Post#230 » by Shakril » Thu Apr 6, 2023 9:19 pm

DG88 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Yeah, but he also didnt have in mind sitting the last 14 min of a must win game, while having a good game before.
Opinions can change.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,525

Post#231 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 pm

Final numbers with Poeltl starting:

Record: 15-10 (49 win pace)
NET Rating: +3.4 (11th)
DEF Rating: 111.8 (5th)
OFF Rating: 115.2 (17th)
Poeltl Net Rating: +9.1
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,685

Post#232 » by ConSarnit » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:11 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Final numbers with Poeltl starting:

Record: 15-10 (49 win pace)
NET Rating: +3.4 (11th)
DEF Rating: 111.8 (5th)
OFF Rating: 115.2 (17th)
Poeltl Net Rating: +9.1

Trying to figure out where we go from here based on how we performed with Poeltl.

Defense improved for 2 main reasons:

-we fouled less (makes sense with more rim protection and less scrambling/recovering)
-Poeltl rim protection allowed us to stay more on shooters and defend the 3 better (small ball was getting absolutely destroyed from 3)

Can't really complain. Rim protection with huge wings seems to work pretty well.

Offense (slightly worrisome longterm):

-Poeltl basically allowed us to junk it up even more
-forced more turnovers to score in transition
-increased offensive rebound rate leading to more 2nd chance points

Is the possession game tenable in the playoffs? I don't know.

Slight bench and half court offense improvements and it seems like we are a 50 win team.

Playoff series (if we make it) is going to be a real test. We effectively have 1 win against a good team (full Denver squad) since Poeltl arrived so it's tough to tell what this team is if facing top 6 playoff seeds.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#233 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:00 pm

DG88 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Do you remember how Carlos Boozer went from Cleveland to Utah?
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#234 » by KL78192020 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:01 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
DG88 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Promises can be broken. Money above all, this will be his last big contract.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#235 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:04 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
DG88 wrote:If that happened I can only imagine the vitrol fans would be throwing at the front office.

Promises can be broken. Money above all, this will be his last big contract.

In this situation I don’t think it would be money. Spurs have cap space and Raptors have bird rights.

But if he came back and realized the culture was broke or sees FVV and/or Siakam are hauling moving boxes into their residences, maybe things change about where he wants to stay for the next 4-5 years.

Raptors are better than a soap opera right now with all the possible storylines.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,830

Post#236 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:10 pm

Shakril wrote:
DG88 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Yeah, but he also didnt have in mind sitting the last 14 min of a must win game, while having a good game before.
Opinions can change.

Yak is just 27 years old and has played his basketball of his career with this team. Yak is used to sitting late in games. I think his minutes are actually up with us. Toronto is a good fit for him.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,488

Post#237 » by WuTang_OG » Fri May 5, 2023 6:42 pm

Per multiple sources around the league, the Toronto Raptors are a "lock" to bring back center Jakob Poeltl, whom the team initially drafted at No. 9 in 2016. He was a necessary sacrifice in 2018, sent to the San Antonio Spurs in a package for Kawhi Leonard.

The Spurs sent him back to Toronto in February, and the Raptors didn't give up a protected 2024 first-round pick to rent his services for a few months. While Toronto has several decisions to make this offseason concerning the future of Pascal Siakam, O.G. Anunoby, Fred VanVleet and Gary Trent Jr., pencil Poeltl back with the team.

The question will be price, and Poeltl may not find significant interest from the teams with cap space, likely placing him in the NTMLE range. That might lead Toronto to pay him in the $13-15 million starting range.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10074991-2023-nba-free-agency-best-available-bigs-and-their-top-landing-spots

13-15M? seems light. If Raps land 16-18M that's a good deal imo
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,577

Post#238 » by DG88 » Fri May 5, 2023 7:06 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Per multiple sources around the league, the Toronto Raptors are a "lock" to bring back center Jakob Poeltl, whom the team initially drafted at No. 9 in 2016. He was a necessary sacrifice in 2018, sent to the San Antonio Spurs in a package for Kawhi Leonard.

The Spurs sent him back to Toronto in February, and the Raptors didn't give up a protected 2024 first-round pick to rent his services for a few months. While Toronto has several decisions to make this offseason concerning the future of Pascal Siakam, O.G. Anunoby, Fred VanVleet and Gary Trent Jr., pencil Poeltl back with the team.

The question will be price, and Poeltl may not find significant interest from the teams with cap space, likely placing him in the NTMLE range. That might lead Toronto to pay him in the $13-15 million starting range.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10074991-2023-nba-free-agency-best-available-bigs-and-their-top-landing-spots

He's the one player you have to retain. If for whatever reason he walked away that would be an epic fail on the FO.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,088

Post#239 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 5, 2023 7:10 pm

S&T is still possible. Never too late to reverse a mistake.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,795

Post#240 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri May 5, 2023 7:15 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

Get er done Masai. And hopefully not a 3yr deal with the last year being a player option BS.

Return to Toronto Raptors