ImageImageImageImageImage

Gherardini scouting in Europe

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Gherardini scouting in Europe 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:41 pm

He was on the FAN590 with Chuck and said that he was scouting in Slovenia, Croatia, Spain and Italy. He refused to divulge who he was scouting for obvious reasons, but said that there is some intriguing talent, although overall it is not a strong year for Euros.

He talked about Roko Ukic as well, and said that he is playing more and more like a true PG, and his shooting is getting better. No mention of when he will be brought over.

He also talked about Bargnani's slump in general terms, but said that he expects him to get better and better as the season progresses. He said that he lost in confidence in his shooting, especially from 3.
Theta64
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Theta64 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:44 pm

I hope he finds a player like Garbo, who is tough and does a lot of the dirty work. I really think we have more than enough shooters at the moment, and it may even benefit us to trade one or two and get some tougher players.

Do you know how much longer the Raps have the rights to Ukic for?
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#3 » by barrist » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:47 pm

Theta64 wrote:I hope he finds a player like Garbo, who is tough and does a lot of the dirty work. I really think we have more than enough shooters at the moment, and it may even benefit us to trade one or two and get some tougher players.

No time limit on holding his rights, i believe.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,269

Post#4 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:47 pm

Theta64 wrote:I hope he finds a player like Garbo, who is tough and does a lot of the dirty work. I really think we have more than enough shooters at the moment, and it may even benefit us to trade one or two and get some tougher players.

We have his rights forever with a slight caveat IIRC.

If he goes a full season without a contract somewhere, anywhere, I believe he then becomes a FA.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Joga_Bonito
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#5 » by Joga_Bonito » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:58 pm

I hope it will be for a second round gem if we have 1 this year (do we?) or signing a FA for cheap.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#6 » by Trilogy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:03 pm

Joga_Bonito wrote:I hope it will be for a second round gem if we have 1 this year (do we?) or signing a FA for cheap.

Getting a 2nd is fairly easy if you really want too. Maybe a guy like Omer Asik could be someone their looking at. Aside from the bigger Euro names in Batum, Gallinari & Pekovic of course.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#7 » by Test of Wills » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:03 pm

Thats Great News!
BC and his assistants have been doing great things for this organization since DAY 1. I hope Maurizio can find a tough scrappy player or even an athletic SF.
Anyone know where our African Scout Ujiri is
Leiro
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Leiro » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:08 pm

Diamantadis is great, but I don
Sai Young
Banned User

Post#9 » by Sai Young » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:10 pm

i dont noe why people on this board now just relying on euro talent
like they are better than the us or can talent

you guys are falling in love with the puzzyness
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#10 » by evilRyu » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:16 pm

Sai Young wrote:i dont noe why people on this board now just relying on euro talent

I don't think we're exactly relying on European talent. Why not expand our choices? Scouting does not mean we'll draft that player..
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#11 » by Trilogy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:27 pm

Sai Young wrote:i dont noe why people on this board now just relying on euro talent

:laugh:

Canadian talent?

If you want a tough player in Europe, look no further than Nikola Pekovic, pretty much a brute back to the basket player tearing up Euroleague.

He'd be an interesting look. Doesn't seem to be the type of player that fits BC's philosophy though.
Sai Young
Banned User

Post#12 » by Sai Young » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:45 pm

just cause hes tough in europe doesnt mean he will be in the states

way different atmosphere

different players
emfive
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#13 » by emfive » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:59 pm

Why complain about something that makes you so well loved on these boards? :P
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#14 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:21 am

Does "puzzyness" mean "winning" these days? because that's what the Raptors have been doing with all of their soft Euro scrubs.

I can't keep up with all of this hip teenage lingo. Bad means good, right?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Luv 4 da game
Assistant Coach
And1: 275

Post#15 » by Luv 4 da game » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:47 am

Fairview4Life wrote:Does "puzzyness" mean winning "winning" these days? because that's what the Raptors have been doing with all of their soft Euro scrubs.

I can't keep up with all of this hip teenage lingo
. Bad means good, right?

We need our man BNT to help us out with it ... where is he nowadays ? :roll:
I Breathe Raptors Basketball
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,166

Post#16 » by HiJiNX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:18 am

Fairview4Life wrote:Does "puzzyness" mean "winning" these days? because that's what the Raptors have been doing with all of their soft Euro scrubs.

I can't keep up with all of this hip teenage lingo. Bad means good, right?

Where has all this "winning" been? We're two games above .500 and we were beat by a team we were better than in the playoffs last year primarily because we played scared the first four games. Anytime anybody posts an unpopular opinion on this board ppl jump on that poster, when sometimes they are making a good point.

I really don't feel this team needs any more mediocre Euros. If we can find some excellent European talent or some European talent with toughness, that'd be cool, but I think we're relying too much on this European style of basketball. The problem is thus far, European style basketball does not seem to be very effective in an NBA playoff situation...too much jumpshooting.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
emfive
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#17 » by emfive » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:31 am

HiJiNX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Where has all this "winning" been? We're two games above .500 and we were beat by a team we were better than in the playoffs last year primarily because we played scared the first four games. Anytime anybody posts an unpopular opinion on this board ppl jump on that poster, when sometimes they are making a good point.

I really don't feel this team needs any more mediocre Euros. If we can find some excellent European talent or some European talent with toughness, that'd be cool, but I think we're relying too much on this European style of basketball. The problem is thus far, European style basketball does not seem to be very effective in an NBA playoff situation...too much jumpshooting.

Even if someone agreed the intelligent play would not be to ignore all Euros! :roll:
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#18 » by Marvin! » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:49 am

HiJiNX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

so, you are saying you want great, talented players in Toronto, right?

why do you have to add a racial and/or cultural aspect to that?
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#19 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:53 am

There is such a player who is available but I don't think the Raps are in position to use the MLE next summer. Plus, the emergence of Humphries makes the signing of another 4 highly questionable.

Unless you are talking about finding a rugged 3 which makes more sense.
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#20 » by from24ft » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:54 am

emfive wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Even if someone agreed the intelligent play would not be to ignore all Euros! :roll:

You guys are just too much.

When a point is made only the extremes are understood. If someone objects to too much focus on Europe, posters than counter that we should ignore Europe all together. How can rational discussion follow when you guys are such kids?

In the case of Euro players, even some of the most hyped and most successful players have a hard time adjusting to our game. The biggest issue is that the game is played at different speeds.

MG needs to scout Europe... but I also would like to see him do some scouting in NA. This way he has a balanced perspective when conveying what he saw to Bryan.

Return to Toronto Raptors