ImageImageImageImageImage

should the next game thread be started ASAP?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

yes, as long as it contains pertinent info
35%
no, I want to keep with tradition, start it in the game day
65%

Total votes: 26

whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#1 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:48 pm

This poll is the result of a discussion started into a thread below:
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=745973

There is a tradition on this board to wait before starting the next game thread.
Superstition suggests that only the same OP who started a winning game should post for the next one and some would say not before the game day.

Some of us would prefer to see the next game thread posted ASAP as long as it looks good. This gives us time to post & discuss any pertinent game info (player status, strategies, etc) especially for some of us who can participate in the game day.

Most of us would expect a good new game thread starter which includes all pertinent info (starters, place & time, TV channel, etc) with nice graphs.
I have nothing against the OP of the winning game if he just posts ASAP a temporary one and updates it later on (as time permits).

So what do you think?
ajmal
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#2 » by ajmal » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:51 pm

what do need to talk about the pistons game that is soo important
[quote:="onlyonesharky"]
Curry, Lee, Francis, Marbury, Jeffries, Fri, Crawford, Nate, Malik, QRIch, Balkman, Collins, James
FOR
KG, Gasol, Stromile Swift, Ray Allen, Lewis, and Carter.[/quote]
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#3 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:56 pm

ajmal wrote:what do need to talk about the pistons game that is soo important

It is not just about Piston's game, but in general for any game in the future.
At least it would give an opinion on what is generally accepted.
Social Lubrication
Head Coach
And1: 96

Post#4 » by Social Lubrication » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:03 pm

A 3rd way would be to start the thread the day following the last game.
BOSHFAN
Senior
And1: 3

Post#5 » by BOSHFAN » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:26 pm

the thread should be started asap after the previous game. it should just say graphix will be up soon if they are not ready.
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#6 » by ghuytro » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:05 pm

The current tradition is that if it's a win, the past game thread creator gets to create the new game thread. If the previous game was a loss, first come first serve usually gets it.

The game thread is almost always (99% of the time) created well in advance before the game - your poll implies that it's created on the same day as the game, likely to make the other poll option (obviously the one you prefer) seem like the more reasonable choice.

Doing it this way has worked well for my 4+ years here - some 300+ games - and I don't see any reason to change it now.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#7 » by evilRyu » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:06 pm

BOSHFAN wrote:the thread should be started asap after the previous game. it should just say graphix will be up soon if they are not ready.

Thats my vote.. Not only does it take only 2 seconds to just create the thread, it gives other posters a chance to talk about the game. I hate waiting hours before tip-off when no game thread is up yet.

The GFX can take it's time, no real rush.. it can be posted at a later date
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#8 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:19 pm

ghuytro wrote:The current tradition is that if it's a win, the past game thread creator gets to create the new game thread. If the previous game was a loss, first come first serve usually gets it.

The game thread is almost always (99% of the time) created well in advance before the game - your poll implies that it's created on the same day as the game, likely to make the other poll option (obviously the one you prefer) seem like the more reasonable choice.

Doing it this way has worked well for my 4+ years here - some 300+ games - and I don't see any reason to change it now.

^ you should fix that

The game thread starter makes it after a win. I have no prob with the game thread maker making a place holder thread and they should be encourage to consider it courtesy and good etiquette, perhaps, to do so in a reasonable time frame, IMO.
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#9 » by ghuytro » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:23 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
^ you should fix that

The game thread starter makes it after a win. I have no prob with the game thread maker making a place holder thread and they should be encourage to consider it courtesy and good etiquette, perhaps, to do so in a reasonable time frame, IMO.

That's usually what happens - placeholder threads are created all the time.

And it's not just tradition but superstition that the previous thread starter gets to do the thread. Knock on wood (unless you saw today's sunshine girl) but I'd prefer to keep it that way no matter what!

Edit
And the new game thread is already up well in advance of the next game (with an intervening New Years holiday thrown in) so people can stop panacing now.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#10 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:29 pm

ghuytro wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's usually what happens - placeholder threads are created all the time.

And it's not just tradition but superstition that the previous thread starter gets to do the thread. Knock on wood (unless you saw today's sunshine girl) but I'd prefer to keep it that way no matter what!

those who mess with that should be held to task by e-shunning, whether it was plausible that it had any affect or not. Only on those nights are losses not the fault of Smitch. I still remember how Supersub cost us that game :nonono: :nonono: :banghead:

where it like a scarlet pimpernel, mofo
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Post#11 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:30 pm

No it shouldn't

Its a tradition that shouldn't be changed.

We should however, at least give the guy lets say 16 hrs to make the new gamethread, if its not there by 16 hrs, its a toss up for anyone else.
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#12 » by hoop_head » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:57 pm

If something isn't broken, don't try and fix it. :wavefinger:
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#13 » by Boogie! » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:58 am

lol. this is like broken telephone. when did the tradition become, "the game thread should be started on game day"?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.

Return to Toronto Raptors