ImageImageImageImageImage

Chad Ford Chat Wrap (Jan-3)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Chad Ford Chat Wrap (Jan-3) 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:25 pm

Tim Wisconsin: Why do franchises continually shoot themselves in the foot, i.e., Milwaukee, NY, Memphis and what finally got Portland on the right track and off the perennial also ran list?

Chad Ford: I'm not sure if I'd lump Milwaukee or Memphis with New York. But to you're second question .... management. Knowing how to handle the cap, find talent in the draft, make solid trades and negotiate free agent deals that are beneficial to the club. In addition, understanding how character and chemistry affect the team and creating a culture that cultivates it. GMs like Joe Dumars, R.C. Buford, Bryan Colangelo, Kevin O'Connor and Kevin Pritchard are all about this. Donnie Walsh has been huge in this department in the past and I think Ed Stefanski looks like he'll be another keeper. Others talk about it, but I don't think they have a clue how to do it. It's a leadership skill that you don't just acquire because you're a good scout or a former player. I think the biggest problem in the league is a lack of great management. Great companies need great leaders. I think owners don't spend enough time really finding talented management that not only knows the game, but understands how to run a successful business. It's more than just playing fantasy basketball.

Chad Ford: By the way, that's not an exhaustive list of all the good GMs in the league. There are more ... but I think that list has embodies the best.

Leroy (Long Beach): Any truth to rumblings that the Clippers are looking to unload Maggette for expiring deals and draft picks? He seems like he'd be a great fit for the Raptors, since he gets to the line.

Chad Ford: Maggette can opt out of his contract this summer, so I don't think they're looking for expiring deals. However, it's no secret that he hasn't gotten along with head coach Mike Dunleavy and I think if the Clippers could get a decent asset for Maggette, they'd do it at this point. The season is lost and there's a chance that Elton Brand will also bolt this summer.

Chris (Rochester,NY): Chad, what is the international crop looking like for the draft?

Chad Ford: Good but not great. Danilo Gallinari of Italy is playing really well. Nicolas Batum of France has been up and down, but teams love his talent. Those are the only two guys I see as potential lottery picks right now. A few others like Croatia's Ante Tomic and Congo's Serge Ibanka could be mid first rounders.
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#2 » by UnRealGM » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:38 pm

thanks for the update.
BIGSMOOTH79
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BIGSMOOTH79 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:56 pm

Good looking out

Return to Toronto Raptors