ImageImageImageImageImage

The birdman Jan 28th 2008

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#21 » by Greg Stink » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:18 am

have to say, i've got a soft spot for the birdman. liked him from the first time i saw him live. hustle, hustle, hustling and athletic like crazy- very much like keon clark (insert joke here) who was big for us. and what about that perm? best nba hairstyle ever.

here's a little secret- a lot of great people do drugs. true, you have to be a special kind of stupid (or consistent) to get caught in the nba, but the "character" issue is vastly overblown. did bill walton have poor character? give me a break. by all accounts chris anderson is a great guy, and our players are so effing boring we need a little crazy.

birdman was a running, shot blocking, offensive rebounder. if we clear a roster spot, gimme gimme. call him hump insurance, whatever.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#22 » by SpaceJam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:19 am

Buhahahahaha!!! Lol...what an All-Star game that was!!
Bird Man in the T-Dot? :crazy:
_________
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#23 » by Cassius » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:33 am

Usually, the worst thing you can do for a recovering drug abuser is put them in a high stress situation and then hand them tens of thousands (10 day contract) of dollars.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#24 » by Geddy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:43 am

We don't need him and his baggage here.
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#25 » by from24ft » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:10 am

biggety bort wrote:have to say, i've got a soft spot for the birdman. liked him from the first time i saw him live. hustle, hustle, hustling and athletic like crazy- very much like keon clark (insert joke here) who was big for us. and what about that perm? best nba hairstyle ever.

here's a little secret- a lot of great people do drugs. true, you have to be a special kind of stupid (or consistent) to get caught in the nba, but the "character" issue is vastly overblown. did bill walton have poor character? give me a break. by all accounts chris anderson is a great guy, and our players are so effing boring we need a little crazy.

birdman was a running, shot blocking, offensive rebounder. if we clear a roster spot, gimme gimme. call him hump insurance, whatever.

Reading between the lines it sounds like crank/crystal meth. Saw a documentary on it and could not believe how nasty this stuff is. That beauty queen that recently got caught for kidnapping shows all the classic signs of a meth head.

The couple that were lost in the snow and ended up freezing to death just meters away from their car is an example that sticks in my head. They were absolutely bonkers. They made a 911 call to report that they were lost and had a mob of attackers after them. They where simply parked in a farmers field and it was dark. The rescue was a failure because they did not even know what state they were in. They were in contact by cell the whole time and still were crazy enough to leave their warm vehicle and wander about with no winter clothing walking in circles until they froze to death.

The above story was a huge reason why cell phone towers are now capable of pinning your location. To make this story even worse, they weren't your typical meth heads, just a couple that did not have an idea what kind of a drug they were getting themselves in to.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#26 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:27 am

The only team I see giving him a chance would be New York.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#27 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:32 am

I think he deserves a chance. He really does sound like he's making every effort to get it together. I hope somebody gives him a 10 day.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
undisputed55
Senior
And1: 1

Post#28 » by undisputed55 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:37 am

from24ft wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Reading between the lines it sounds like crank/crystal meth. Saw a documentary on it and could not believe how nasty this stuff is. That beauty queen that recently got caught for kidnapping shows all the classic signs of a meth head.

The couple that were lost in the snow and ended up freezing to death just meters away from their car is an example that sticks in my head. They were absolutely bonkers. They made a 911 call to report that they were lost and had a mob of attackers after them. They where simply parked in a farmers field and it was dark. The rescue was a failure because they did not even know what state they were in. They were in contact by cell the whole time and still were crazy enough to leave their warm vehicle and wander about with no winter clothing walking in circles until they froze to death.

The above story was a huge reason why cell phone towers are now capable of pinning your location. To make this story even worse, they weren't your typical meth heads, just a couple that did not have an idea what kind of a drug they were getting themselves in to.

That's why you shouldn't do drugs kids...stick to smokin herb :wink:
GameBoy
Senior
And1: 4

Post#29 » by GameBoy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:53 am

Dude has an interesting story, I hope he ends up somewhere. but I dunno he's nearly 30 and hasnt played in 2 years.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#30 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:08 am

That was a nice article, I didn't intend to read the whole thing but I did. Guy sounds like a person from a rough background who's lack of a role model growing up caught up with him, after he made it so far..

I think he can come back if he's as serious as that article sounds.. I wouldn't sign him just yet though, let him play in the D-League or some league somewhere to show he can still play...
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#31 » by Buyaka » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:24 am

I am open to a 10 day contract.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#32 » by The Letter V » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:49 pm

6-10 energy guy, who rebounds and plays defense- not much offensive skill....

Sound familiar ?....minus an inch.
Turnpikebandit
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 300

Post#33 » by Turnpikebandit » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:54 pm

The Intellectual Activist wrote:6-10 energy guy, who rebounds and plays defense- not much offensive skill....

Sound familiar ?....minus an inch.

Bargs?

Oh wait, you said rebounds.....
torsport
Assistant Coach
And1: 114

Post#34 » by torsport » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:10 pm

Minor contributor on a mediorcre team.

Doesn't give us anything that Moon doesn't already provide.

He isn't going to make a major difference in the W-L column for the Raps so why waste the roster space?
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#35 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:13 pm

deknow wrote:He almost singlehandedly destroyed Allstar weekend!

No - he became a laughing stock. Nate Robinson almost singlehandedly destroyed Allstar weekend by taking 14 attempts and winning! Completely robbing AI2
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#36 » by inrapscity » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:44 pm

he definitely deserves a second shot at the NBA. Not like he was a bad player. However, no more All-Star weekend for this guy.

Return to Toronto Raptors