ImageImageImageImageImage

Why doesn't Canada get ESPN/TNT etc...?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#21 » by The Letter V » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:41 pm

hump43 wrote:Trust me you don't wanna watch ESPN news or anything. Its garbage. Their higlights are no more than 25 seconds long and they talk football all day, like who the hell wants that. I'd rather watch the score.

For sports coverage, theres NBA league pass and stuff. You can get a bootleg satellite and you'll get those for free.

Well SportsCenter isn't great, but the rest of their programming is pretty good. American channels are so much better than what we get that there's no comparison. Even their History channel is way better than ours. I can watch theirs for hours without being bored. Then they get HBO, FX, all the movie channels, the FSNs, etc.

We're getting ripped off.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#22 » by Double Helix » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:11 pm

More American programming? Yay... All of the quality programming makes it up here anyway. All you'd end up getting was more NASCAR, more UFC, more talk of wars and more sensationalist programming deliberately designed to cater to the dumbest of the dumb in America.

Canada's already red-neck enough. The last thing I want is to flip past more Rush Limbaugh, Tila Tequila, NASCAR pre-shows, and war propaganda.

Think of the easily influenced children god damn it! ;) Or if you simply don't care and really want to enjoy all that American life has to offer... move to Buffalo because really... aside from our close proximity to the States we used to have more in common with the UK. It's their programming we might want to be looking at a bit more.
redstyl
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#23 » by redstyl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:09 pm

I say the LESS american programming the better! Cant believe there are some who want more....haha.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#24 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:12 pm

ESPN is trash. All they do is talk about teams from the East Coast all day (Yankees, Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots) They don't talk much about the Raptors unless of course a person goes and makes a Youtube video campaigning for votes.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#25 » by DIEHARD_005 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:20 pm

teamColangelo wrote:ESPN is on a different planet, when i go to the states, sports highlights and stories are so exciting when watching ESPN, I was in withdrawl coming back to tsn and sportsnet ontario... i see exactly where the players who visit canada are coming from.. also, the way canadian stations have hockey stories as the #1 stories and focus all their attention to hockey, espn in the winter focuses everything the same way towards basketball... well the majority at least. I wish we had it.

The Score will heal your pain my friend. Even though TSN is ESPN's sister network or whatever, The Score is a poor man's ESPN IMO.
La princesa
Junior
And1: 3

Post#26 » by La princesa » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:07 pm

Tsn is a canadian version of ESPn you don't like them i'm guessing you won't like ESPN and plus contact Rogers cable cause I believe you can order it or am I wrong?
MikeZambidis
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#27 » by MikeZambidis » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:23 pm

As far as getting the scores are concerned "the score"is the best you can get in north America.
They roll the ticker fast and have 2 and 3 tickers going at once.
Espn has the worst ticker there is.Hands down.
It's W-a-y-T-o-o-S-l-o-w.

If you want NBA games get a pass or hack a dish or free to air dish.
If you live in a populated region try an HD antenna.
I've heard in Toronto area you can get a lot of channels on HD free.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#28 » by Homer Jay » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:51 pm

As someone who worked in broadcasting for 10 years I can give you some REAL information about why things are the way they are.

The reason ESPN and such are not available on Canadian satellite systems is not because of any cultural protectionism of any sort. When they mention protecting Canadian interests, they are talking about BUSINESS interests. Preservation of intellectual copyright issues and licensing, as well as to ensure that foreign owned businesses do not present a hazard to domestic run companies.

See intellectual copyrights stop at the border, HBO owns their programming within the United States. They could choose to setup up a channel here with a domestic partner and only maintain that channel with minimum Canadian content requirements... heck several enterprises like MTV have done just that. However HBO would much rather sell it's property rights for its programming to a Canadian business outright. They avoid certain risks that way and walk away with essentially pure profit.

ESPN could always have found a partner and done something like MTV even branding it ESPN Canada or whatever. However they maintain a slightly different relationship with Bell Globemedia. TSN still picks up ESPN programming at a discounted rate and ESPN takes a piece of TSN's profits out of it. TSN could if it wanted broadcast Friday's game, but they chose not to for various reasons they have.

Certain channels are available from the U.S. unaltered (CNN, FoxNews), generally the cable companies pay a special rate to the CRTC to do this. In these cases the CRTC has found that allowing that specific channel does not impact any domestic channel. Since those channels generally cater exclusively to American and issues news 24 hours a day and nobody here is trying to do the same.

The CRTC does also allow certain local American stations to be picked up here due to slight changes in the programming schedule vs. Canadian channels holding the rights to the same programming, however the cable companies must broadcast the Canadian channel over the American one when the programming is identical... again that is to preserve the intellectual property owned.
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#29 » by AB_21 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:01 pm

Double Helix wrote:More American programming? Yay... All of the quality programming makes it up here anyway. All you'd end up getting was more NASCAR, more UFC, more talk of wars and more sensationalist programming deliberately designed to cater to the dumbest of the dumb in America.

Canada's already red-neck enough. The last thing I want is to flip past more Rush Limbaugh, Tila Tequila, NASCAR pre-shows, and war propaganda.

Think of the easily influenced children god damn it! ;) Or if you simply don't care and really want to enjoy all that American life has to offer... move to Buffalo because really... aside from our close proximity to the States we used to have more in common with the UK. It's their programming we might want to be looking at a bit more.

i just want to watch the raptors game... :oops:
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#30 » by AB_21 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:05 pm

I just wish they'd show the ESPN broadcast. I'm not that big of Chuck and Leo hater--I don't really hate them at all--it's just I'm interested to hear what they have to say about the Raptors.
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#31 » by Marvin! » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:17 pm

why would they pay for the ESPN feed when they can broadcast it themselves for less money?
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#32 » by HighOctane » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:48 pm

teamColangelo wrote:ESPN is on a different planet, when i go to the states, sports highlights and stories are so exciting when watching ESPN, I was in withdrawl coming back to tsn and sportsnet ontario... i see exactly where the players who visit canada are coming from.. also, the way canadian stations have hockey stories as the #1 stories and focus all their attention to hockey, espn in the winter focuses everything the same way towards basketball... well the majority at least. I wish we had it.

I just had that feeling my friend. If we could have some sort of ESPN with Raptor support I am all for it. ESPN is so well organized in the states and so much more informative.
Samurai_Raps
Junior
And1: 348

Post#33 » by Samurai_Raps » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:20 pm

To me, it just makes good business sense to air the ONE ESPN game the raptors have this year. I think more people would tune in to the game based on the fact alone that it was the ESPN feed. I have nothing against Chuck and Jack or Chuck and Leo, but I am definitely interested in what the National broadcasters have to say. They also use have other things such as mic'ing Sam Mitchell that adds to the broadcast.
mcmasterballer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#34 » by mcmasterballer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:46 pm

All I have to say is that I have an "illegal satellite" and I feel like it does make me sort of less of a Canadian. The reason for this is that ESPN and TBS and all those shows are American dominated channels (makes sense cause they're from the USA) and they only show stuff from the USA. Having TSN and such I feel like they do indeed promote Canadian culture even if they do show hockey 24/7. In conclusion THESCORE>>>>>>>>ESPN. Heck I don't even know who's first in the NHL standings.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#35 » by 99 Problems » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 am

I sent them an email and finally got a response... and yes I used the fake name of Rodney Stuckey...

Mr. Stuckey:

Thanks for contacting the CRTC. Perhaps you'd be interested in the following background information about the Commission. It may not change your opinion of us, but it may help you towards a better understanding of our role in the regulation of Canadian broadcasting.
Our role is laid out in the Broadcasting Act (the Act), given to us by Parliament. Although we are independent of government in our licensing and regulation-making functions, on broadcasting matters, we report to Parliament through the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

On one point the Act is very clear - that the Canadian broadcasting system must be effectively owned and controlled by Canadians. This safeguards, enriches and strengthens the cultural, political, social and economic fabric of Canada. In turn, the Commission's policies and regulations come directly from the requirements of the Act.

Unless our mandate changes, the Commission must insist on its requirements for the distribution of Canadian programming via the Canadian broadcasting system. Since there isn't a country in the world that doesn't give priority to its own broadcasting industry, this seems like a pretty reasonable objective. At the same time, we do have a wider choice of foreign programming than most other countries. In light of the aformentioned, we developed the following policy.

Any non-Canadian television channel - such as those in which you are interested - must first be authorised for distribution in Canada. Here is how our system works.

We authorize the carriage of non-Canadian satellite services through our Lists of Eligible Satellite Services

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

All requests for amendments to the Lists are assessed in light of certain criteria, including the our policy of not allowing the carriage of non-Canadian satellite services which can offer programming similar to Canadian pay and specialty services. Such requests must originate with an acceptable Canadian sponsor, which include licensees of broadcasting distribution undertakings and licensees of pay television or specialty service undertakings.

You may wish to contact various television servcies providers in Canada directly to ensure they are aware of your concerns. In turn, they may request the Commission to consider adding your services to the lists.

Again, I realize this likely isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I do hope it helps you to better understand our position in such matters.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not reply to this message using the email address indicated above as we cannot receive e-mail at this address. To reply or to add to your submission, please click here and follow the prompts: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/rapidsccm/landing ... 5462123071

Regards,

Client Services

1-877-249-2782 / t
LoneDust
Junior
And1: 2

Post#36 » by LoneDust » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 am

I feel Canada already has one of the more relaxed content regulation compare to other countries in the world. I believe the ESPN channel you get in Asia, for example, don't run programs exactly as ESPN of USA.

I'm just glad we don't have ESPN website blackouts like what they did to comedycentral.com. If you go to comedy central's website, you'll get forwarded to the website for Comedy Network. After they implemented that I started looking for the videos elsewhere. The freedom of the web is butchered by the commercial interest of content providers, and they're hurting themselves and their customers with their short sight.
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#37 » by PopAGat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 am

We don't have ESPN because we have TSN.

Who cares, TSN>>>>>>>>>ESPN. I'd rather watch the Los Angeles Kings vs. Florida Panthers over the Celtics vs. Suns anyday. Gotta love TSN.
Credits to TurboZone

Return to Toronto Raptors