ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Chauncey, Maxiell School Raps

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#101 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:11 am

gangstaff wrote: And if Bargs keeps scoring maybe his value can go up and we can dump him and Parker and Dixon for Redd :wink:

why Redd??

I rather Michael Jordan
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#102 » by inrapscity » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:11 am

Bargnani's back! very disappointed that our players didn't recognize the hot hand and barely gave the ball to Andrea.

Honestly, I was quite happy with the Raps for the 1st 3 quarters. then 4th quarter came....

Jose got schooled tonight. He's got no quickness on defense.

Billups basically single handedly won the game for the Pistons. Rip did his job as well.
jepjep
Rookie
And1: 578

Post#103 » by jepjep » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:19 am

Death Knight wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hump should take some responsibility as well.

I also blame smitch... 3 to 4 successive plays with just Dixon and Hump touching the ball.... no wonder the wings are not making the difference. This team's plays are 80% between the guard and the bigs.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#104 » by gangstaff » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:35 am

Ackshun wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

why Redd??

I rather Michael Jordan

Apparently the Bucks are looking to blow it up and Redd is available...there was a thread on it earlier. But the Jumpman will do.

Hopefully Bargs keeps his O hot. Then Colangelo can either trade him or Bosh (I'll cry) for a real C/SG. They are never going to work together. Bosh getting 16 rebounds and Bargs with 2...come on.

Bosh is going to fall apart taking a pounding like this. He isn't even a big PF, let alone a C. I feel bad for him, if he was protected by a real physical player in the frontcourt with him he might fulfill his talent as a superstar. As it is he'll never develop clutchness when he also has to be the defensive anchor, best rebounder (only rebounder), offensive catalyst, team leader, etc.

There I go again. Breath...ok better now.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#105 » by whoknows » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:46 am

why did Rasho not play???

his body was needed tonight to protect cb4 from the banging that took his energy req'd at end of game.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#106 » by gangstaff » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:49 am

who's minutes is he going to take? as long as Bargs is being developed and hump keeps playing well, there are very few front court minutes left.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#107 » by SpaceJam » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:58 am

Nice job by Anrea, Moon and Chris. Jose did alright, bad shooting from AP. Chris has shown consistency and Andrea was hitting almost every 3 and stayed aggresive. One step back for two steps forward. We have 3 of the next 4 games in the book, if not all.
_________
whoknows
General Manager

Post#108 » by whoknows » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:59 am

gangstaff wrote:who's minutes is he going to take? as long as Bargs is being developed and hump keeps playing well, there are very few front court minutes left.

IMO Sam could've found 10 minutes for a guy who can use his big body in the post in a physical game like today.

ppl need to understand that CB4 had to work his tale off tonight.
how do you expect him to take over a game when he's running out of energy being the only one (for most of his playing time) in the post against the most physical team in NBA?
treerollins
Senior
And1: 290

Post#109 » by treerollins » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:02 am

I would like to have seen Kapono in for Moon more when Moon was doing nothing out there. I know that Kapono wasn't either but he might have gotten some open looks playing with the starters. That and I think AP might be ready to go back to Europe.
waiting for ai referees
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#110 » by 5DOM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:04 am

Ackshun wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

why Redd??

I rather Michael Jordan

redd is 28
jordan is 44.
Nia
Assistant Coach
And1: 4
Location: South Beach, Miami, but currently live in Tdot for School

Post#111 » by Nia » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:15 am

whoknows wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

IMO Sam could've found 10 minutes for a guy who can use his big body in the post in a physical game like today.

ppl need to understand that CB4 had to work his tale off tonight.
how do you expect him to take over a game when he's running out of energy being the only one (for most of his playing time) in the post against the most physical team in NBA?

Thank you for that. That's what I was trying to say all day with my post. That people are expecting CB4 to have the same production as last year, but he can't when he has to do everything and w/o not having TJ & Garbo it really puts him to step up more. People are expecting the same as last season, but when your missing 2 pieces from the Starting Line-up it's hard. Pistons were making him work tonight and he was doing whatever he could, I understand he took some jumpshot's when not needed, but I can go easy on him for that because he was showing effort out there.
Mad Mike
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#112 » by Mad Mike » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:21 am

memo to barg, read the scouting report before the game stupid....Sheed is pretty good from the 3line buddy.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Post#113 » by TheRaptor! » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:24 am

Man for some reason, i miss Garbo today :cry:

When is he going to be back? March? Please?

TJ and Garbo, get well soon.

Its pretty amazing how well our team is playin without 2 starters from our 47 wins. Garbo logged 28mpg last year.
whoknows
General Manager

Post#114 » by whoknows » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:27 am

Mad Mike wrote:memo to barg, read the scouting report before the game stupid....Sheed is pretty good from the 3line buddy.

nice way to vent...

also, the nerve on the reporter asking you on who you play...
you tell 'em!
El Presidente
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#115 » by El Presidente » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:34 am

El Presidente
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by El Presidente » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:47 am

* I went to the game today and I got a first hand look at just exactly how bad Calderon's defense really is. Billups, Stuckey and Hamilton all took turns on him and the Raptors were forced to help leaving Maxiell, Prince, McDyess wide open. We're not a great defensive team and when we have to help out early in the shot clock, things become that much harder. The frustrating part was that I didn`t even know what the Raptors could do because providing help wasn`t working out and Billups and Hamilton were eating him alive on single coverage. The only thing that I could think of was maybe putting Joey Graham on Hamilton or Billups in hopes of avoiding providing help.

* Chris Bosh`s ill advised jump shots are frustrating but man, he is the ONLY guy who is even trying to rebound the ball. He`s probably exhaused on the offensive end just because of the effort he has to exude on the defensive end. Even the rebounds the rest of the team get should be partially given to Bosh because he practically boxes out two men on each possession.

* Was Rasho injured? The Pistons were killing us on the glass and I thought we could use a big body to clear out Maxiell and McDyess but Rasho never even got off the bench.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#117 » by C Court » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:16 am

El Presidente wrote:* I went to the game today and I got a first hand look at just exactly how bad Calderon's defense really is. Billups, Stuckey and Hamilton all took turns on him and the Raptors were forced to help leaving Maxiell, Prince, McDyess wide open. We're not a great defensive team and when we have to help out early in the shot clock, things become that much harder. The frustrating part was that I didn`t even know what the Raptors could do because providing help wasn`t working out and Billups and Hamilton were eating him alive on single coverage. The only thing that I could think of was maybe putting Joey Graham on Hamilton or Billups in hopes of avoiding providing help.

Yup. I was at the same game as you. I agree, but I keep quiet on the subject because I don't want to start another Jose/TJ debate. :D

The other troubling aspect of the Raptors recent play has been the staleness of the offence and that was apparent tonight.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#118 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:24 am

Warya wrote:Another thing I forgot to mention.. Jose forgot our opponent tonight, every chance he had to run and go uptempo I noticed he slowed the ball down and waited for everybody else.. big mistake- Detroit is wayyyyyy too good defensively against half court sets... our best chance to win this game would be with us running every chance we get and hoping we catch them a little bit off their heels and confuse them.. not slow the ball down when we're already struggling with our offense going into the game...this is where TJ is missed greatly, he would have made sure we got some fast break points...

I tuned into the espn online stream instead of RSN. I clearly remember Hubbie Brown criticising Calderon for not taking advantage when the Raptors had numbers (3 on 2 mostly) on several occasions. Hubbie is absolutely right. Not just tonight, but for a while now, Calderon has been very passive and doesn't look to take advantage on fast breaks when they have numbers. This is something that the coaching staff seriously needs to get on Calderon about.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#119 » by 99 Problems » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:32 am

Jose is protecting his precious assist to turnover ratio.... he needs to be a little less conservative sometimes...mix it up and show different things instead of constantly pounding the ball at the same speed and doing the same things over and over and over....a little creativity wouldn't hurt, although that might be beyond his ability...thats whats holding him back from becoming a top tier point guard and a legit starter, that and terrible man to man defense...

I can't believe Jose is so bad at guarding his own position... both fast and slow PGs...the other night he was always behind Chris Paul on the fast break, now Billups and Stuckey were eating him alive in the halfcourt...you would think TJ would have more problems since he's so small, but at least TJ could stay in front of his man..and force steals...
El Presidente
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by El Presidente » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:35 am

Death Knight wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I tuned into the espn online stream instead of RSN. I clearly remember Hubbie Brown criticising Calderon for not taking advantage when the Raptors had numbers (3 on 2 mostly) on several occasions. Hubbie is absolutely right. Not just tonight, but for a while now, Calderon has been very passive and doesn't look to take advantage on fast breaks when they have numbers. This is something that the coaching staff seriously needs to get on Calderon about.

I've been saying that forever. He pulls back on 3 on 2 and and 4 on 3 situations all the time. With the result the Raptors never get easy baskets and are forced to go through their "offense". That's why his assist to turnover ratio is so good, he never pushes the issue and tends to settle down. It's good when your offense is a well-oiled machine and can be relied on to provide quality shots but in our case, I'd like to see him run the break more.

But the blame isn't all on Jose, our players need to leak out better and present themselves. Running the break is an art and it has to start in practice and must be preached as part of our team philosophy.

Return to Toronto Raptors