ImageImageImageImageImage

Bold Statements

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

curryfries
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Bold Statements 

Post#21 » by curryfries » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:25 pm

ponder276 wrote:1. His first step is good, but not great. His shot IS great when his confidence is there.

2. Agreed. Against a good defensive team, our offense looks stagnant with Calderon. I like him over TJ against poor defensive teams, when our guys can get open on their on, and Calderon can distribute intelligently. But we really miss TJ's ability to break down the d against tight defensive coverage. Nobody on the floor can create their own shot except Bosh.

3. You are under-rating Roy, Aldridge and Gay. All of them have better games than this on a very regular basis. Take LMA for example - slightly worse jumper, but way more athletic, substantially quicker, better rebounder. How is Barg's potential way higher? And Roy and Gay are both going to be all-stars, whereas Bargs is far from a sure thing as an all-star.

If Rudy Gay is the star you speak of already then why on earth do the Grizzlies continue to get their butts handed to them? Why are they one fo the leagues worst teams yet again this year? Why is he not lifting that team up to success like Brandon Roy? As far as LMA, why do the blazers continue to win with or without him? Why does he play well one game and disappeatr the next?

LMA has zero creativity, zero handles, zero post game, he basically whats Bosh was durign his second season which is a four who can hit the jumper off the high pick and roll or can bang inside get rebounds and putbacks. But never ever come here and try and pull the woll over the fine raptor fans eyes and suggest LMA is even close when it comes to being offensively skilled from anywhere on the floor other than perhaps inside under the basket.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#22 » by andyo » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:41 pm

For this team, it is clear that Calderon is not the #1 PG with the makeup of this team right now. I think in order for Calderon to succeed, he needs a system where more slashers are available, especially at the wing positions. I would say Calderon is better at running a half court offense with a team consisting of strong slashers but Ford is the right PG for this team, it's become clear to me during his absence even though I've been saying he is our future #1 PG for a while now.... I was still optimistic about my decision but now as of right now, Ford is clearly our #1.

Also one thing that irritates me about Calderon's game is his reluctance to attack....I wish he'd attack more and if he was sealed off, he'd probably still have options available because he lured the defense towards him, if he develops that mentality, he'd be a top of the class PG in my opinion, defense aside. Meanwhile I think Ford has already showed glimpse of elite PG material but sometimes he just needs a little control with respect to his shot selection. As for his post defense, I think his lack of this is overrated....I don't remember one time where Kidd beat him in the post, our team automatically assumed he was outmatched and doubled immediately, this is what killed us last year in the playoffs in my opinion. We need to do better selective double teaming...its killed us in the Boston game too I would say. I also agree that Hubie has some good points in which to help this team, but his distastefulness in regards to Bargs worries me, if he was ever to be the coach here I don't think he'd be kind to Bargs, especially if Bargs had that December slump during his tenure here. Mitchell is the ideal coach for motivation but I'd wish he'd implement better off the ball movement, spacing, and better defensive philosophies (especially in regards to double teaming)...I still think we're missing that veteran presence like an Oakley....I mean it was pretty evident that we were bullied by the Pistons out there and obviously we are still waiting on our young players to develop and we are still missing that secondary athletic scorer at the wing position before we can ever be in the class of Detroit, San Antonio, etc.

Return to Toronto Raptors