ImageImageImageImageImage

When do we admit...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gei
Sixth Man
And1: 394

When do we admit... 

Post#1 » by gei » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:51 am

This has nothing to do with recent losses or the whining that goes on in general, but I was wondering the other day...

Assuming Bargnani's play continues as-is and he doesn't show any notable improvement, when would everyone be willing to admit we made a mistake with the pick?

And I'm not asking when would people admit to him being a "bust", but rather, when would everyone be willing to admit that picking him over Gay/Roy was a bad choice.

Are we perhaps at that point now? True Bargnani will probably get better. But we've already seen Roy for example emerge into a star, and he will also get better.
reck0n3r
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#2 » by reck0n3r » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:52 am

Would bosh still be as good as he is today if we hadn't traded vince carter?

A lot of these players are just a product of being in the 'right' environment to provide as a catalyst in their growth as players. Bargnani doesn't quite have that same freedom here, which makes it more difficult for him.

It would've been hard for any player in that draft to come in and produce on this squad, mainly because they'd be benched after stretches of poor play (which inevitably happens with young players) and not given a chance to play through them. It took smitch almost 30 games to realize that he's gotta have bargs in the starting lineup in order to preserve the long term growth of the franchise.
James699
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#3 » by James699 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:54 am

Bargnani won't be a bust. He just won't be good though. He will techniqually be called a bust because he was picked first overall ahead of guys like Gay and Roy. But there have been other mistakes.
Kush
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Kush » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:54 am

I still think Bargnanis potential is Kukoc/Okur, and noway are those guys worth the #1 pick. BC made big mistake by not trading down to take Gay/ Roy or he even could have traded the pick for veteran help.
Kush
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Kush » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:56 am

SomewhatDamaged wrote:Would bosh still be as good as he is today if we hadn't traded vince carter?

Bosh averaged at age 19....25min 12ppg 7.5rebound a game...something 22 year old Bargnani hasn't done yet.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#6 » by The Letter V » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:06 am

So he wasn't a bust after last game where he dropped 25, but now he's a bust because he had a bad game? Maybe Wednesday he'll have a good game and won't be a bust anymore!!
James699
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#7 » by James699 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:08 am

does anyone know who from Raps bench was trash talking Lebron, that made him go nuts and play crazy?

I think it was Ford or it could have been Martin. Martin sux, but he is good at trash talking. I remember when he trash talked Jordan lol
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#8 » by ponder276 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:25 am

The Letter V wrote:So he wasn't a bust after last game where he dropped 25, but now he's a bust because he had a bad game? Maybe Wednesday he'll have a good game and won't be a bust anymore!!

If the draft were to happen again today, Bargs would go 4th overall, after Roy, LMA and Gay. I agree with the guy who said he has Okur potential, which is decent and certainly not a bust, but at the moment he does not seem like the right pick at first overall.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#9 » by Joker » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:27 am

Comparing Bargnani now to Bosh when Carter was here is laughable.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#10 » by satyr9 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:24 am

I'm not saying I'm positive he'll fulfill his potential, but did anyone watch that Pistons game? Offensively, when he's clicking he's an absolute phenomenon. Not LeBron calibre, but still he can do things Kukoc and Okur can only dream about. At present he's struggling more than succeeding, but I still have some faith he can harness his talents more often than not. Roy may have been a better call, especially considering this team had Bosh, but it's still too early to make that call. I'm not willing to give him 5 years (that was suggested somewhere right?), but 3 full ones for sure. If he's not producing consistently by the end of next season, we can start the hand wringing and incessant moaning (okay it'll be 3 years old by then, but at that point I'll think it's justified).
rtcaino
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Re: When do we admit... 

Post#11 » by rtcaino » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:04 am

gei wrote:This has nothing to do with recent losses or the whining that goes on in general, but I was wondering the other day...

Assuming Bargnani's play continues as-is and he doesn't show any notable improvement, when would everyone be willing to admit we made a mistake with the pick?

And I'm not asking when would people admit to him being a "bust", but rather, when would everyone be willing to admit that picking him over Gay/Roy was a bad choice.

Are we perhaps at that point now? True Bargnani will probably get better. But we've already seen Roy for example emerge into a star, and he will also get better.

To actually answer your questions?

1 - Most people would be willing to admit that at a pont in time when it was possible to determine that his current level of performance was his expected level of performance for the rest of his career. Thiat time would vary for many, but i would presume that after three years, if he has not improved, that would be reasonable. Maybe half way through the third year, if no improvement has been made.

2 - No. because of the next bolded sentance.

Return to Toronto Raptors