ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Getting JOB with Toronto Raptors (What is available,etc

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

James Ballswin (Realizar)
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#21 » by James Ballswin (Realizar) » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:28 pm

Seriously, I'd tell ya to gimme a call after the D-1 team you work for have won back-to-back national titles.

So, realistically (not hypothetically), start with getting a position with a high school team, network yourself like a mofo, and aim to work your way up the ranks.

Or, if you can find a way to make JG average 12ppg and grab 6rpg, Sam would give you $200K/year out of his own salary!
RAPTOR FAN FRIDAYS: Raptors Republic @ Sports Centre Cafe
http://raptorsrepublic.com
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#22 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:55 pm

I think the OP is Lawrence Frank!
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#23 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:20 pm

Kohanz wrote:Franchise player.

Starting Center. 3rd string PG.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#24 » by CrookedJ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:34 pm

My advice would be to email chuck swirsky . . .make him do your leg work . . .
<cswirsky@torontoraptors.com>
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Re: OT: Getting JOB with Toronto Raptors (What is available 

Post#25 » by JN » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:50 pm

Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Re: OT: Getting JOB with Toronto Raptors (What is available 

Post#26 » by Mattd97 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:07 pm

DerrickRose23 wrote:Hey there, I am curious what jobs I could apply to for the Toronto Raptors..

Lets say as a hypothetical
my background was similar to Lawrence Frank in that I was a manager of the Florida Gators under Billy Donovan during his 2 championships in a row. He had me doing video editing, some skill stuff with the team's players and other odd jobs.. I coach in Florida for two AAU teams and am 23 years of age graduating with a Honours degree in Political Science.

What jobs would be available in the Toronto Raptors' organization if i wanted to move back to my hometown of Toronto?

Video editor? Assistant coach? manager? Video Assistant? Manager?

I am curious as to how Lawrence Frank got an assistant job and what similar avenues could be open to me as well..

So wait did you work under Billy Donovan or not? If so, I'd suggest you you give the Orlando Magic a call cause Im sure theyd love to have one of his employees. Also I find it odd for a Florida Gator to have his username be a Memphis player.

But go to the Raptors/MLSE site for every imaginable Raps job, and the NBA has a listing of all jobs available across the league. Assuming you dont go to Florida or have danced with Joakim Noah, good luck.
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#27 » by Trianoball » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:08 pm

I know theres a huge lineup of guys wanting to blow Ford...so you can rule that out.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#28 » by Cassius » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:18 pm

CrookedJ wrote:My advice would be to email chuck swirsky . . .make him do your leg work . . .
<cswirsky@torontoraptors.com>

Haha.

I tried that years ago.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#29 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:39 pm

jimmyconway wrote:I know theres a huge lineup of guys wanting to blow Ford...so you can rule that out.

Do you ever get tired of being a douche?
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#30 » by Trianoball » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:08 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Do you ever get tired of being a douche?

Do you?
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#31 » by Los Manos » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm fairly suprised at some of the bad advice in this thread. As with any industry, if you want to work for a certain company then you take the following action. Call MLSE and ask to speak to someone regarding employment and ask for a name for whom you can write to. Don't discount the worth of having a good quick conversation with the secretary as most often they will have the power to assess your value in putting you in touch with their boss. Once you have a name and address to write to, send them your CV along with a personal cover letter (no 'Dear Sir/Madam' or it's going straight in the bin) and any written references you may have that will peak the recipients interest. Enquire about positions of employment but also state how valuable it would for you to have 10 mins of their time to talk face to face. Send the letter and a week later follow up by calling the company again, hopefully you get the same secretary and ask if she will follow up your enquiries up with her boss. If you made a great first impression in the first phone call with them, your chances are they will help you.
undisputed55
Senior
And1: 1

Post#32 » by undisputed55 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 am

Los Manos wrote:I'm fairly suprised at some of the bad advice in this thread. As with any industry, if you want to work for a certain company then you take the following action. Call MLSE and ask to speak to someone regarding employment and ask for a name for whom you can write to. Don't discount the worth of having a good quick conversation with the secretary as most often they will have the power to assess your value in putting you in touch with their boss. Once you have a name and address to write to, send them your CV along with a personal cover letter (no 'Dear Sir/Madam' or it's going straight in the bin) and any written references you may have that will peak the recipients interest. Enquire about positions of employment but also state how valuable it would for you to have 10 mins of their time to talk face to face. Send the letter and a week later follow up by calling the company again, hopefully you get the same secretary and ask if she will follow up your enquiries up with her boss. If you made a great first impression in the first phone call with them, your chances are they will help you.

Good advice but MLSE won't hire you unless your a rich, white male...preferably in the latter stages of life.
Ian4
Starter
And1: 381

Post#33 » by Ian4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:20 am

man reading this board tonight has made my day , you guys and you're funny a** comments.

And btw anybody rebounds better than bargs ,they mine as well recruit from the Scarborough blues basketball team . and save a buck

lol i just realized my post is off topic ,these damn topics get so off topic i forget what to respond too lol.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#34 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm

jimmyconway wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Do you?

No...cause I'm not?? You on the otherhand...
undisputed55
Senior
And1: 1

Post#35 » by undisputed55 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Ian4 wrote:man reading this board tonight has made my day , you guys and you're funny a** comments.

And btw anybody rebounds better than bargs ,they mine as well recruit from the Scarborough blues basketball team . and save a buck

lol i just realized my post is off topic ,these damn topics get so off topic i forget what to respond too lol.

sweet sig man
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#36 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 am

undisputed55 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Good advice but MLSE won't hire you unless your a rich, white male...preferably in the latter stages of life.

Just like Wayne Embry...

Hank_Scorpio
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#37 » by Hank_Scorpio » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 am

Los Manos wrote:I'm fairly suprised at some of the bad advice in this thread. As with any industry, if you want to work for a certain company then you take the following action. Call MLSE and ask to speak to someone regarding employment and ask for a name for whom you can write to. Don't discount the worth of having a good quick conversation with the secretary as most often they will have the power to assess your value in putting you in touch with their boss. Once you have a name and address to write to, send them your CV along with a personal cover letter (no 'Dear Sir/Madam' or it's going straight in the bin) and any written references you may have that will peak the recipients interest. Enquire about positions of employment but also state how valuable it would for you to have 10 mins of their time to talk face to face. Send the letter and a week later follow up by calling the company again, hopefully you get the same secretary and ask if she will follow up your enquiries up with her boss. If you made a great first impression in the first phone call with them, your chances are they will help you.

Wow.

That saved me a whole lot of typing.

The rest of you guys are dicks.

If your "hypothetical" is anywhere close to true, then you probably have some legitimate skills that a sports program could use.

Something else to consider - you are looking for employment in a fairly niche market - I imagine that there are employers for you in Toronto other than the Raptors, but there are not many - and certainly none at the level of the Raptors.

So you have a choice to make. If you want to make a leap and move on up either in college hoops or in the NBA, then your best bet to do so is to market yourself to ALL the NBA teams AND probably to some of the teams in other leagues in cities where you might not mind living - NBDL, ABA, etc. - and perhaps to the colleges.

My point is that given your field, you will likely have much greater success if you cast your net as widely as possible. You are only 23, so its not like you need to be thinking of settling down. In 3-5 years, if you get some decent experience elsewhere, that would make it much easier to come back to Toronto.

Just a thought.
Postbro1 wrote:Obama is right on this.
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#38 » by seanbig » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:07 am

I would agree with the rest of the posters here. I have no coaching experience, but even looking at some of the best canadian coaches jay triano for example, can only land himself a spot as an assistant coach, and he aint young.

I say scope out the opportunities in the states, cause you would probably get much better experience there and move up faster than in Canada. Look at that defensive coach we had hired a few years ago...who started coaching high school and then became like a legendary college coach. No way that would happen in canada. For hockey, yes...for basketball forget it.
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#39 » by bill russell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:47 am

forget the raptors, man. there's jobs advertised on this board that promise $1000 an hour!!!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#40 » by Cassius » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:21 am

Hank_Scorpio wrote:
The rest of you guys are dicks.

Hey!

I'm hoping you probably missed my post.

To the OP, something I'm trying to do myself is getting involved with my local franchise by volunteering with some of their community involvement/corporate events.

I think that would be a great way to network.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Toronto Raptors