ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors attendance at best level in 6 years

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DarkKnight
Analyst
And1: 672

Raptors attendance at best level in 6 years 

Post#1 » by DarkKnight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I don't have data before 2002-2003, but for that time period, 2007-2008 has been the Raps best season in terms of average attendance. We are averaging 19204 per game, 8th in the league.

-Up from the low point in 05-06 of 17054 (17th)
-Besting the 02-03 high of 18963 (10th)
-Raptors were also 8th in 03-04 (18307 per game)

Keep it up Raps fans! For all the negativity that can surround this team, at least fans are buying tickets.

Note: A sold-out Raptors game seats 19800.
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#2 » by LLJ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Imagine how popular we would be if we were an elite 50 win team.
Teabag
Veteran
And1: 13

Post#3 » by Teabag » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 pm

I think the early years will never be touched in terms of attendance simply because they were in the skydome and averaged a number well over the ACC's capacity ... I think
DarkKnight
Analyst

Post#4 » by DarkKnight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Teabag wrote:I think the early years will never be touched in terms of attendance simply because they were in the skydome and averaged a number well over the ACC's capacity ... I think

You may be right about that. But %-wise (97% this year) you can always compare. The dome got 32000+ for Jordan games, but nowhere near that number most of the time.
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
Jimmy The Greek
Junior
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Jimmy The Greek » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm a season seat holder with a buddy and love our seats and the atmosphere in the ACC. Attendance is great and most of all Toronto has finally caught up to basketball IQ.

It's always jammed in the arena, now we need to work on getting the T.V ratings up.
Teabag
Veteran
And1: 13

Post#6 » by Teabag » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Jimmy The Greek wrote:I'm a season seat holder with a buddy and love our seats and the atmosphere in the ACC. Attendance is great and most of all Toronto has finally caught up to basketball IQ.

It's always jammed in the arena, now we need to work on getting the T.V ratings up.

I've never understood how they accurately calculate "tv rating" ... from what I understand people have a little box on their tv that calculates what they watch and the numbers are extrapolated from that ... well I've never had one of those nor do I know anyone that knows anyone that has ever had one of those so when we watch the game and the jonut next door that has the box watches the 7th Seinfeld rerun of the night instead, it says that in my area we don't watch Raptors ball?
UNC Tar Heel Fan
Assistant Coach
And1: 86

Post#7 » by UNC Tar Heel Fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 pm

01-02 I think it still the record holder for attendence, 41 out of 42 games were soldout at home.

Why do I remember this? The only game I went to during the 01-02 season DIDN'T sell out, it was against the Warriors.
Jimmy The Greek
Junior

Post#8 » by Jimmy The Greek » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Teabag wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I've never understood how they accurately calculate "tv rating" ... from what I understand people have a little box on their tv that calculates what they watch and the numbers are extrapolated from that ... well I've never had one of those nor do I know anyone that knows anyone that has ever had one of those so when we watch the game and the jonut next door that has the box watches the 7th Seinfeld rerun of the night instead, it says that in my area we don't watch Raptors ball?

I think you pretty much summed it up. I know by looking it up that in the states they use Nielsen Media Research but not sure how it all works. I think the black boxes and certain internet and magazine surveys.
bigtime105
Banned User

Post#9 » by bigtime105 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Teabag wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

TV ratings are a survey , and thats how surveys work, you only need to ask 10 thousand random people what they're doing and youll know what 30 million are doing to within 1% error. Why? I dont know but they tested it and it works, maybe people are just that predictable.
rottenzombie
Lead Assistant
And1: 505

Post#10 » by rottenzombie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:11 pm

bigtime105 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

TV ratings are a survey , and thats how surveys work, you only need to ask 10 thousand random people what they're doing and youll know what 30 million are doing to within 1% error. Why? I dont know but they tested it and it works, maybe people are just that predictable.

Um...that is called Statistics, a lot of people study it....assuming you are not joking here
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#11 » by SpaceJam » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 am

DK, I liked your old avatar.
_________
CBC_Raptor
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#12 » by CBC_Raptor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:18 am

Why pay for an elite team when you don't have to. Music to the ears of MLSE. The formula works on Maple Leafs fans AND Raptors fans! :banghead:

Toronto FC and Marlies are next.....
DarkKnight
Analyst

Post#13 » by DarkKnight » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:45 am

SpaceJam wrote:DK, I liked your old avatar.

My old avatar? I haven't had a different avatar in probably over a year...you mean the Jordan one? (The model, not MJ)
joeyt618
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#14 » by joeyt618 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 am

Jimmy The Greek wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I think you pretty much summed it up. I know by looking it up that in the states they use Nielsen Media Research but not sure how it all works. I think the black boxes and certain internet and magazine surveys.

Nielsen Media Research also operates in Canada. This "black box" you speak of is known as the "People Meter."

Essentially, it is an electronic measuring device that incorporates the technology of an audimeter (an audience meter) in a system that records not only what is being watched but also by whom in 3350 homes. The actual device is a small box with I think eight buttons or so and each family member is assigned a button that indicates his/her presence as a viewer. The people meter will collect what station is being watched and who is actually sitting down and watching it.

This method has been used for many years, but is often regarded as inefficient since it still requires the cooperation on an ongoing basis from people in the metered homes. And I have never spoken with a person who's ever had a people meter in their homes, so I really doubt the numbers are definite.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#15 » by Courtside » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 am

With digital technology in many, many more homes than "people meters", Rogers has access to WAY more data on viewing habits than Neilsen does. The problem is that privacy laws don't allow Rogers to make that info public, and since they are a service provider with links to media, they would be considered a biased source.

This has been discussed before. Basically each box = 100,000 people, so when we get told we had "98,000 viewers" or "176,000" viewers, it seems like a crock of sh|t to me.

15 homes watching the game would be considered 1.5 million viewers.
Profanity
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#16 » by Profanity » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:46 am

rottenzombie wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Um...that is called Statistics, a lot of people study it....assuming you are not joking here

At the begining I thought it was you who were joking...
dawtcalm
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#17 » by dawtcalm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 pm

That's a good question: does anyone know ANYONE in canada with a people meter???

We used to to the neilson thing for groceries and it was a pain in the ass. You would have to scan everything as you unpacked it, and then hook it up to the phone every wk to send the data. (have they not heard of pcs). Scanner didn't work that great and there was no benefit in doing it. If they provided you with a scanner you could take with you while shopping that would tally the price for you, or tell you if it was cheaper elsewhere that would have been much more useful.

If you do this you collect points to redeem on stuff, but we heard you never receive the things after redeeming so we quit.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#18 » by dacrusha » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:31 pm

joeyt618 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Nielsen Media Research also operates in Canada. This "black box" you speak of is known as the "People Meter."

Essentially, it is an electronic measuring device that incorporates the technology of an audimeter (an audience meter) in a system that records not only what is being watched but also by whom in 3350 homes. The actual device is a small box with I think eight buttons or so and each family member is assigned a button that indicates his/her presence as a viewer. The people meter will collect what station is being watched and who is actually sitting down and watching it.

This method has been used for many years, but is often regarded as inefficient since it still requires the cooperation on an ongoing basis from people in the metered homes. And I have never spoken with a person who's ever had a people meter in their homes, so I really doubt the numbers are definite.

I used to live in a house in Toronto that had the meter installed and would only really be conscious of using it when the Raptors came on TV, just to provide a spike in ratings.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
GameBoy
Senior
And1: 4

Post#19 » by GameBoy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Jimmy The Greek wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yup, that's it they use the Nielsen box. It's definitely not an exact science. There's no really accurate way to measure media, they base their decisions on really sketchy information.

TV, and radio. it's difficult to measure the viewers. Easier with print, you know the cirulation, and how many magazines/newspapers were bought.
GameBoy
Senior
And1: 4

Post#20 » by GameBoy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 pm

[quote="joeyt618"][/quote]

Do you work in media planning?

Return to Toronto Raptors