ImageImageImageImageImage

sam is at it again...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#21 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:50 am

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Sam's a bit paranoid isn't he.

He is. I like Mitchell, but I can't get on board for this "the evil media just wants negative stories and all journalists are parasites" attitude. Reporters work pretty hard and, for the most part, strive for fair and accurate stories. Plus, the Raptors have got some over-whelmingly positive ink since their turnaround the last one and a half seasons.

Shaazz Edit: Ooops sorry man. I pushed the wrong dang button when I meant to quote you. My apologies.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,253

Post#22 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:13 am

Rhettmatic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He is. I like Mitchell, but I can't get on board for this "the evil media just wants negative stories and all journalists are parasites" attitude. Reporters work pretty hard and, for the most part, strive for fair and accurate stories. Plus, the Raptors have got some over-whelmingly positive ink since their turnaround the last one and a half seasons.

Here is what I wanted to say.

Yeah, I tried to not paint with a broad stroke, but I probably did so poorly. It's a tough gig, for sure. And I would never want to label a group of people with a single feeling.
seanied
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#23 » by seanied » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 am

hoop_head wrote:It's the relentless pursuit of the media to generate sensational stories. They want juicy controversy, to expose player problems, or on their best day, to find hidden scandal. It's like a predator circling its prey, waiting to exploit the first sign of weakness.

Yeah, but hold on. The reason the media is relentlessly pursuing these kinds of thing is because human nature makes readers demand them. If you study literature you learn that every story, every joke, and (almost) every song has conflict. The reason is because we want to see characters overcome conflict. If the day ever comes that human nature changes and stops needing conflict, writers will stop looking for conflict.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,253

Post#24 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 am

seanied wrote:
Yeah, but hold on. The reason the media is relentlessly pursuing these kinds of thing is because human nature makes readers demand them. If you study literature you learn that every story, every joke, and (almost) every song has conflict. The reason is because we want to see characters overcome conflict. If the day ever comes that human nature changes and stops needing conflict, writers will stop looking for conflict.

Yeah, I think I had a realization in this thread. They really are just giving us what we want. That was the reason for my rant earlier.
Andiamo
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Andiamo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 am

sams scared hes gonna be found out.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#26 » by Vorticity » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 am

A f*%$ing bug up your ass? :o
that's just classless for a NBA head coach
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#27 » by Boogie! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 am

another one of sam's asinine responses. it's a legitimate question. the raptors have sucked at defending the 3 ball all year around, it's not just the kings. yet he avoids the question by being a jackass.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#28 » by Schad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 am

dagger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

An article written for tomorrow's newspaper when today will be yesterday and yesterday will be two days ago?

Informal warning for blowing my mind.
**** your asterisk.
emfive
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#29 » by emfive » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 am

Darn. I was hoping for more Youtube shots of Sam exercising his American slang on the refs. 8)
Mandrake
Senior

Post#30 » by Mandrake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:27 am

Shaazzam wrote:Didn't he recently get angry about reporters continually asking about negative things, even though the team is winning games?

Now I'm all for being objective, but the continual focus on negativity is something that really irritates me about some of this cities media.

I totally agree, reporters/journalists are for the most part retards. Are they so non-creative that they have to make up BS just to write good stories about fake stuff? It pisses me off just watching these idiots ask Sam these things, like do they even know anything about Basketball or watch the game at all? Like Sam said, guys are gonna hit shots and it's not like he hasnt been on his guys about defending the three. But negative question after negative question when the Raps are actually playing good seems classless to me. Sam was in the right.

Did anyone see the reporter bugging one of the New England Patriots players about Randy Moss' recent legal troubles? (don't really follow football) It had nothing to do with the game and the guy said he didn't wanna talk about it and the reporter kept asking. How much more of a d*ck can you be? Reporters shouldn't even be allowed to spew this BS to these pro athletes who have more to worry about then these stupid non-sense. If I was Sam I would continue swearing at these fools and then spit in their face.

EDIT for controversial reasons
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#31 » by Clutch Carter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:44 am

You know, I agree with those who are saying that many reporters are just retards. At the same time, most people we all work with are retards as well, but most of us don't act like a classless jerks around them.

Well, some of us anyways. :)
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

Boogie!
RealGM

Post#32 » by Boogie! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 am

a journalists job is to find out as much information as they can about the issue they're covering. if he asked sam, what he feeds his family for dinner, i don't mind a smartass response because it's an irrelevant question. but he asked him a basketball question concerning the team. idk if sam things we're the 72-10 chicago bulls, but we definitely have flaws and defending the 3 is one of them. just because you won the game, doesn't mean you don't have things to work on. if you can't answer why you're not a good team at the defending the 3 and have to resort to avoiding the question altogether then don't be surprised when people question your abilities.

and i can't believe people actually defend the guy and turn their hate on the reporters like he thinks you should. what do you expect them to write? "raptors can do no wrong, they are the perfect team?" do people expect all newspapers to be like this? if you're not gonna talk about the flaws and how to make the team better, what else are you gonna talk about? aren't these things every fan wants to know? woo, moon is in the dunk contest and chris is a good player and wants to make the all-star team. yeah, let's have a weeks worth of papers filled with stuff we already know, instead of getting actual insight from the coaches.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#33 » by Hendrix » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:12 am

I asked Bosh how many shots he our Kapono would knock down in shooting practice out of 100 on a ballpark guess. Said he didn't know, butit was better then in games. 20-21 like Grange says is absolutly rediculous.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#34 » by Boogie! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 am

isn't it a shame that when someone speaks of monkey's they instantly think of a black person. I wasn't referring to Sam for Christ sakes, read my post. I was referring to the people who just bash Sam because someone else bashes him and it's the cool thing to do. Monkey, robot, Mannequin whatever you wanna call it. Now re-edit my post thank you very much

schad is moderating. there's been controversy lately with getting insulting posters and he's limiting that. maybe it's the way you wrote it that made it look like you were insulting sam. idk why the race card needs to be brought up, maybe you're the one assuming things. and idk what you're talking about with people being robots, but i'm calling it like i see it. if you were to ask my opinion, i would think someone that agrees with sam is just buying into his whole rant. this isn't confidence booster class where focusing on the negatives should be avoided. it's just a reporter asking basketball questions about the team. and since when is it cool to be impolite?
Mandrake
Senior

Post#35 » by Mandrake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:25 am

Boogie! wrote:a journalists job is to find out as much information as they can about the issue they're covering. if he asked sam, what he feeds his family for dinner, i don't mind a smartass response because it's an irrelevant question. but he asked him a basketball question concerning the team. idk if sam things we're the 72-10 chicago bulls, but we definitely have flaws and defending the 3 is one of them. just because you won the game, doesn't mean you don't have things to work on. if you can't answer why you're not a good team at the defending the 3 and have to resort to avoiding the question altogether then don't be surprised when people question your abilities.

and i can't believe people actually defend the guy and turn their hate on the reporters like he thinks you should. what do you expect them to write? "raptors can do no wrong, they are the perfect team?" do people expect all newspapers to be like this? if you're not gonna talk about the flaws and how to make the team better, what else are you gonna talk about? aren't these things every fan wants to know? woo, moon is in the dunk contest and chris is a good player and wants to make the all-star team. yeah, let's have a weeks worth of papers filled with stuff we already know, instead of getting actual insight from the coaches.

Dude, that's all any type of media focus' on. Negative this and negative that, It's sickening to read about and I don't know what people get outta it. So your telling me that reporter is gonna go write a story on how the Raps didn't defend the 3 ponters even though the Raps scored over 100 points and the Kings didn't even score 90 points? I just don't get what that does for anyone? It just seems like he's trying to be a jerk. Sure the Raps didn't play the perfect game but that's what the entire season is for, and Sams not gonna throw his players under the bus and say..."Ohh yeah well Anthony Parker isn't quick enough to close out and then recover" or "Moon's an idiot and leaves guys wide open." There's nothing Sam's doing wrong there, it's the players job and if they miss an assignment or two during a game they won then I don't understand what the point is. It just seemed like he looked at the game and nit picked what the Raps didn't do well. What's Sam supposed to say to that? Its just plain (Please Use More Appropriate Word) question from a dumbass who's either to stupid to know what he's asking or is too big of a jackass to care. Plus keep in mind Bibby hasn't played in how many games so maybe they wanted to leave him open and make him nail a few shots first.

Boogie! wrote:
isn't it a shame that when someone speaks of monkey's they instantly think of a black person. I wasn't referring to Sam for Christ sakes, read my post. I was referring to the people who just bash Sam because someone else bashes him and it's the cool thing to do. Monkey, robot, Mannequin whatever you wanna call it. Now re-edit my post thank you very much

schad is moderating. there's been controversy lately with getting insulting posters and he's limiting that. maybe it's the way you wrote it that made it look like you were insulting sam. idk why the race card needs to be brought up, maybe you're the one assuming things. and idk what you're talking about with people being robots, but i'm calling it like i see it. if you were to ask my opinion, i would think someone that agrees with sam is just buying into his whole rant. this isn't confidence booster class where focusing on the negatives should be avoided. it's just a reporter asking basketball questions about the team. and since when is it cool to be impolite?

No see your being a pessimist. To you the glass is half empty, where I'm a realised the it's just half there. It's like Sam bashing is the cool thing to do and it just sounds (Please Use More Appropriate Word) everytime I read it on here. Sam's not the cookie cutter coach like Scott Skiles, he has his own way of doing things and he didn't fool everybody into winning coach of the year last year. I was on this board and I read all the disrespect and it was disgusting. It's opinions like yours that make this place such a dump to post at. Pure ignorance.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#36 » by Schad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:28 am

As I mentioned, it wasn't clear who you were referring to as a monkey, Boogie, or Smitch, or some other party. But referring to anyone, including 'critics' of Smitch, as monkeys while quoting another poster is generally going to lead to trouble.

Dark blue is such a soothing colour.
**** your asterisk.
Mandrake
Senior

Post#37 » by Mandrake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:35 am

Schadenfreude wrote:As I mentioned, it wasn't clear who you were referring to as a monkey, Boogie, or Smitch, or some other party. But referring to anyone, including 'critics' of Smitch, as monkeys while quoting another poster is generally going to lead to trouble.

Dark blue is such a soothing colour.

haha it is a soothing colour. Puts me in a happy trance which I needed after a just spilled my guts out. I actually got monkey from Matthew Good, great music artist. By no means was it racist and it's too bad people think of it like that.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#38 » by Boogie! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 am

Mandrake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dude, that's all any type of media focus' on. Negative this and negative that, It's sickening to read about and I don't know what people get outta it. So your telling me that reporter is gonna go write a story on how the Raps didn't defend the 3 ponters even though the Raps scored over 100 points and the Kings didn't even score 90 points? I just don't get what that does for anyone? It just seems like he's trying to be a jerk. Sure the Raps didn't play the perfect game but that's what the entire season is for, and Sams not gonna throw is players under the bus and say..."Ohh yeah well Anthony Parker isn't quick enough to close out and then recover" or "Moon's an idiot and leaves guys wide open." There's nothing Sam's doing wrong there, it's the players job and if they miss an assignment or two during a game they won then I don't understand what the point is. It just seemed like he looked at the game and nit picked what the Raps didn't do well. What's Sam supposed to say to that? Its just plain (Please Use More Appropriate Word) question from a dumbass who's either to stupid to know what he's asking or is too big of a jackass to care. Plus keep in mind Bibby hasn't played in how many games so maybe they wanted to leave him open and make him nail a few shots first.

so you want the reporters to write news saying, raps shoot 50%, hit 3's and win the game? cool, if that's what your looking for then what can i do. but for me, the whole point of reading a newspaper is finding out about things that i don't already know. ways that coaches plan on improving the team, trades that the team may be looking at, hearing the players say how they wanna improve their game and that they wanna play better. to me it's not to find out the score and the fact that they made a lot of 3s. this is stuff we know they can do.

and it's strange how a coach acts impolite, treats the reporter like he's the stupidest person ever for asking a fair question, swears at him, and the reporter is seen as the jerk... no one says he has to call out his players in the media, but he can at least talk about what the team in general is doing wrong. is it their plan to make teams shoot 3s, are they just slow on rotations? either way, any quesiton can be answered without treating the person who's asking it like crap.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#39 » by Boogie! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:44 am

Mandrake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No see your being a pessimist. To you the glass is half empty, where I'm a realised the it's just half there. It's like Sam bashing is the cool thing to do and it just sounds (Please Use More Appropriate Word) everytime I read it on here. Sam's not the cookie cutter coach like Scott Skiles, he has his own way of doing things and he didn't fool everybody into winning coach of the year last year. I was on this board and I read all the disrespect and it was disgusting. It's opinions like yours that make this place such a dump to post at. Pure ignorance.

LOL? since when is skiles a cookie cutter coach? bulls fans used to joke that he was like napoleon. i hate when people throw around words like ignorance, acting as if they know what is right. what are we arguing here? the facts speak for themselves. the reporter asks a question about the team concerning its flaws. sam proceeds to give a smartass response. wtf makes you so enlightened for believing that the reporter is wrong and im so stupid for looking at the situation? is respect such a hard thing to ask for? is it so hard to ask sam to give some insight because i actually wanna learn what he thinks about what the team is doing wrong? but no i'm ignorant because i think sam acts like a jerk to the media. but this is from someone calling me a monkey and ignorant so i guess i can't change your perspective. lol that my opinion that sam is rude is what makes this such a bad place to post. we're not allowed to criticize rudeness anymore, no it's clearly just bashing a person for no reason.
Mandrake
Senior

Post#40 » by Mandrake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:53 am

Boogie! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL? since when is skiles a cookie cutter coach? bulls fans used to joke that he was like napoleon. i hate when people throw around words like ignorance, acting as if they know what is right. what are we arguing here? the facts speak for themselves. the reporter asks a question about the team concerning its flaws. sam proceeds to give a smartass response. wtf makes you so enlightened for believing that the reporter is wrong and im so stupid for looking at the situation? is respect such a hard thing to ask for? is it so hard to ask sam to give some insight because i actually wanna learn what he thinks about what the team is doing wrong? but no i'm ignorant because i think sam acts like a jerk to the media. but this is from someone calling me a monkey and ignorant so i guess i can't change your perspective. lol that my opinion that sam is rude is what makes this such a bad place to post. we're not allowed to criticize rudeness anymore, no it's clearly just bashing a person for no reason.

The rudeness went both ways, that question puts Sam on the spot. What is he supposed to say? I mean isn't it obviouse what's happening out there? There's no way he can answer that without throwing his players under the bus. It's either a missed assignment, rotations slow, etc Somebody messed up. So what is he gonna say? And why even talk about it a day later at practice after they just WON THE GAME. He prob just finished hammering it into his guys' heads all practice. And its obvious that it wasn't just a bi polar freak out by Sam, that guy must of had it coming. Sam knows thoes guys, he's been here for long enough. I guess we'll just agree to disagree but to me that question seemed stupid, Sam didn't like it, there's most likely a history behind it. He's not just gonna swear at some dude for no reason. He said it before about the reporters that everytime they ask him a question he thinks they are gonna do something to him. I'v read stories before, I'v heard the questions, I'v watched the post/pre game interviews and that's what my opinion is based on. I would of spit in that guys face and slapped him, so he's lucky.

Return to Toronto Raptors