ImageImageImageImageImage

All Star - Eastern Team prediction

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

David_edlp
Junior
And1: 2

All Star - Eastern Team prediction 

Post#1 » by David_edlp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 am

1. Small injuries don't matter. If Player A is better than Player B but missed 12 games in December with an ankle sprain, I don't care -- he's still better, he's still the one that belongs in a game designed to showcase the best players, and he's still the All-Star. With this rule comes two exceptions: (1) If it's part of a larger pattern of injuries for a given player, and (2) if the player missed such an insanely large chunk of the season that he can't possibly be chosen -- like Elton Brand, for an obvious example.

2. History matters. If Player A and Player B are having comparable seasons, but Player A is playing way better than he ever has before while Player B has played at this level the past three seasons, I'm taking Player B every time.

3. .500 is not a magical All-Star maker. Unlike the coaches, I'm not automatically rejecting players from teams with losing records. Check out the marginal All-Star players from the past few seasons and you'll find a big chunk of them were on teams that were just a game or two over .500 when the teams were named … but almost none of them were on teams that were a couple games under that threshold. Of course, there is essentially no difference between 15-17 and 17-15 at this point in the season, but tell that to the people doing the voting.

4. Seriously, is this one of the 12 best players in the conference? You'd be amazed at how often people bypass this little crosscheck, which is how people like Dale Davis and Wally Szczerbiak have made the team in years past. Always a good rule of thumb to have in your back pocket.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... ars-080108

Starting lineup Howard / Garnett / James / Wade / Kidd ( at now )

My prediction: G. Wallace / Pierce / Bosh / Calderon / Billups /Butler / Iguodala .... reserves Carter or Ray Allen

Coach: Doc Rivers

Slam dunk championship : Moon, Green, Ariza, Julian wright ?
TheDoctor
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 13,090
Location: Saving humanity, and the Raptors board, from aliens... and themselves.

Post#2 » by TheDoctor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 am

Just letting you know - that's a little on the long side for a quote, but even though its an Insider article, its the freely available part, so thats ok. Link name made me nervous for a sec.
Raptors Season Ticketholder since the 2000 playoffs, through all the lows... build to the championship high... to Tampa and back again.
RIP The Hater - we miss you.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:25 am

My Eastern predictions:

C: Chris Bosh
F: Paul Pierce
F: Caron Butler
G: Chauncey Billups
G: Jose Calderon
other: Josh Smith, Richard Jefferson
Twitter: @NickObergan
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#4 » by kdot99 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 am

Article is old and has been but discussed but anyways...

G Billups
G Calderon
F Pierce
F Butler
C Bosh?

Jamison, Jefferson?

Really small team.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#5 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 am

I thought the coaches voted the reserves by selecting 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center, and then 2 players regardless of position?

And Bosh is a F, not a C....

EDIT: Okay, if you can switch primary positions around....

Starters

G: Jason Kidd
G: Dwyane Wade
F: LeBron James
F: Kevin Garnett
C: Dwight Howard

Reserves

G Chauncey Billups
G Joe Johnson
F Paul Pierce
F Richard Jefferson
C Chris Bosh

F Gerald Wallace
F Caron Butler
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#6 » by basketball royalty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 am

I do not understand how everyone is saying Jose should be an allstar this season. I thought it was just Chuck and Leo spouting out homeristic baloney but a bunch of you have drank the koolaid. This easily falls into no2 on the list of AllStar guidelines in that article.

Eastern All-Stars

Starters- G Wade, G Kidd, F James, F Garnett, C Howard

Bench- G Billups, G Allen, F Pierce, F Butler, F/C Bosh, F Jamison, G/F Carter
props to Turbozone for the sig
Nat77
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Nat77 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 am

sammy d or meka deserves to be there over shaq
Check out my blog: Heels on Hardwood and follow me on twitter @Nat77
fame
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#8 » by fame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:55 am

Not sure how many they pick, but I'll be very surprised if these guys aren't selected. If Chris Bosh isn't considered a center, and one must be picked then either Rasheed Wallace or Antawn Jamison are statisticly the next best bigmen in our conference.

RESERVES

Chauncey Billups
Paul Pierce
Caron Butler
Rashard Lewis
Chris Bosh
Andre Iguodala
Rasheed Wallace/Antawn Jamison
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#9 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:55 am

Warya wrote:I thought the coaches voted the reserves by selecting 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center, and then 2 players regardless of position?

And Bosh is a F, not a C....

1st yes, that is how they vote for them

2nd, the coaches can place a player out of his primary position if he plays a secondary position, and they will put Bosh as their C because there is no other C that deserves mentioning.
Twitter: @NickObergan
bigjabroni
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#10 » by bigjabroni » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:02 am

As much as I'd love to see Jose there, I don't think it's happening. Joe Johnson came really close last year but his team's record held him back. This year, they are running about .500 so it's his time to be there, he deserves it. Billups is a definite lock for another reserve guard. I also think the league would like to put Ray Allen on the team with all of Boston's success, especially when you consider the team's history. I really think all three of KG, Allen, and Pierce will be there similar to the Pistons big 4 of two years ago. For the last spot, guys like Rip Hamilton, Vince, J-Rich, or Gerald Wallace have an edge over Calderon. It would be incredible if Jose goes, but at this point I'm doubtful.
Roy's the best player I've played against outside this guy from my hood in Queensbridge, guy named Mike Chaplain. He went to jail when he was 15 years old. He was the best player I played against, now it's Brandon Roy.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#11 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 am

If two Nets make it in... :evil:
Got Raps FanFiction?
Illuminati
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#12 » by Illuminati » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 am

VINCE IS A GIRL AND TATTLETALE!
99 Problems
Banned User

Post#13 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am

HumbleBumbleBee wrote:If two Nets make it in... :evil:

There's no way you can stop that from happening.. Kidd is a lock to start but RJ's been the best Net this year, 7th in the league in scoring and averaging about 24 ppg... and the Nets are 8th in the East... there's no way coaches don't vote him in...
tetley
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#14 » by tetley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:16 am

Howard
Garnett
James
Wade
Kidd

Bosh
Butler
Pierce
Hamilton
Billups

Jamison
Jefferson

Boston - 2
Detroit - 2
Orlando - 1
Washington - 2
Toronto - 1
Cleveland - 1
New Jersey - 2
Miami - 1

Only player on a non-playoff team is Wade and you can't leave him off. Only first timer is Jefferson.
got more soul than a sock with a hole
99 Problems
Banned User

Post#15 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:19 am

fame wrote:Not sure how many they pick, but I'll be very surprised if these guys aren't selected. If Chris Bosh isn't considered a center, and one must be picked then either Rasheed Wallace or Antawn Jamison are statisticly the next best bigmen in our conference.

RESERVES

Chauncey Billups
Paul Pierce
Caron Butler
Rashard Lewis
Chris Bosh
Andre Iguodala
Rasheed Wallace/Antawn Jamison

Antawn Jamison is not even a C if you go by that logic, he's a F
raptorry
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by raptorry » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:24 am

basketball royalty wrote:I do not understand how everyone is saying Jose should be an allstar this season. I thought it was just Chuck and Leo spouting out homeristic baloney but a bunch of you have drank the koolaid. This easily falls into no2 on the list of AllStar guidelines in that article.

Eastern All-Stars

Starters- G Wade, G Kidd, F James, F Garnett, C Howard

Bench- G Billups, G Allen, F Pierce, F Butler, F/C Bosh, F Jamison, G/F Carter

agreed it falls on #2 but there have been more then just homers out there believing he could make the team. Several quotes and articles have been posted. I would love to see it but still realistically cannot see it with him going against 2's as well
fame
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#17 » by fame » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:30 am

Warya wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Antawn Jamison is not even a C if you go by that logic, he's a F

I messed up my wording...I meant if Bosh is considered a Center and they need another bigman spot then Rasheed Wallace and Antawn Jamison are the closest thing to a bigman that are all star worthy.

Return to Toronto Raptors