ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Bosh Interview

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Slam Dunk!
Junior
And1: 18

Post#21 » by Slam Dunk! » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 am

The whole market issue reminds me of those AIM Trimark commercials...

Stuffy Old Business Guy: "We can't do business in Toronto, it's just too small a market."

Younger, Friendlier, Hipper Business Guy: "How many NBA teams are there in Canada?"

Raptors Rep: "Just ours."

FBG: "That's a pretty big market."

Raptors Rep: "Yeah, it is!"

*cue slogan & logo*
h00pst1r
Starter
And1: 1

Re: noooooooo 

Post#22 » by h00pst1r » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm

ProT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

http://www.graphicmaps.com/citypops.htm

Okay, thanks for that...but does largest media market simply refer to size of population living in that area?? I thought more went into it. Things like publications, radio, television outlets, etc. You base it soley on population, I wonder if others see "4th largest media market in NA" in the same manner? For example, what if a city has 5 million people but only one paper (which reaches 1 million) and one local tv channel (which reaches another 1 million people)?? My example is theoretical but do you know what i'm getting at? To take it a step further, a city may have 3 million people but it's publications reach all 3 million and so does the tv channel...to me, this second region with 3 million has a larger media market than the previous example with 5 million people...
yk24 wrote:Moon bit on CBs pump fake.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#23 » by whoknows » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Please stop embarasing everybody while sending emails in the name of the Canadian fans.

Guy, please get it straight.
NBA market size is not overall population or economic strength!
It is the population that's actually watching & has an interest in an NBA game.

And, yes, the numbers don't lie.

The numbers of TV viewers in Canada of NBA games is way behind most other televised sports.
I mean we're considering great numbers if we get 200,000 people watching Raps in a game night.
Besides that, how many TV viewers in Canada watch for the sake of seeing a bball unless the Raps are playing? Hockey, curling, football, lacrosse, tennis, skiing, etc. has no problem attracting way more viewers.

Although we're getting the ACC filled, there is very little (to none) interest on Raps outside Toronto.

It hurts me to admit it (I really, really hate NHL), but we have to be realists.
tnugget
Bench Warmer
And1: 206

Re: noooooooo 

Post#24 » by tnugget » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It can't be that big if people are still living in Igloos.

good point
Drunk
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Drunk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:50 pm

whoknows wrote:Please stop embarasing everybody while sending emails in the name of the Canadian fans.

The numbers of TV viewers in Canada of NBA games is way behind most other televised sports.
I mean we're considering great numbers if we get 200,000 people watching Raps in a game night.
Besides that, how many TV viewers in Canada watch for the sake of seeing a bball unless the Raps are playing? Hockey, curling, football, lacrosse, tennis, skiing, etc. has no problem attracting way more viewers.

Although we're getting the ACC filled, there is very little (to none) interest on Raps outside Toronto.

It hurts me to admit it (I really, really hate NHL), but we have to be realists.

Exactly, but the potential market for the raptors is great. Therefore this wouldn't you rather questioning is erronious. It implies that there is no potential and is not only counter to what we know as sports fans living here but also to the growth plans of the nba. I realize that Toronto has a smaller than peak fan base, but it's not as small as most of the cities in the US.

Tim Duncan isn't asked if he'd like to leave small market San Antonio repeatedly? What gives? i think that this Canadian centered idea that player should want to leave a small market is problematic. But I understand the problem.
magani
Bench Warmer
And1: 70

Post#26 » by magani » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm

whoknows wrote:Please stop embarasing everybody while sending emails in the name of the Canadian fans.

I mean we're considering great numbers if we get 200,000 people watching Raps in a game night.Besides that, how many TV viewers in Canada watch for the sake of seeing a bball unless the Raps are playing? Hockey, curling, football, lacrosse, tennis, skiing, etc. has no problem attracting way more viewers.

I think you're overestimating the number of viewers in other markets as well. Do you think the Lakers get a million viewers per telecast? I remember last year (I live in the US and get ESPN) during the playoffs how some nationally televised games were barely getting a million viewers. This is in a country with 300 million people and where ESPN/ABC is in almost every home. So, 200,000 doesn't sound so bad after all when you extrapolate it further. The NBA is behind MLB and the NFL as well and often behind NASCAR. In some markets the NHL is better too.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#27 » by whoknows » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Drunk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly, but the potential market for the raptors is great. Therefore this wouldn't you rather questioning is erronious. It implies that there is no potential and is not only counter to what we know as sports fans living here but also to the growth plans of the nba. I realize that Toronto has a smaller than peak fan base, but it's not as small as most of the cities in the US.

Tim Duncan isn't asked if he'd like to leave small market San Antonio repeatedly? What gives? i think that this Canadian centered idea that player should want to leave a small market is problematic. But I understand the problem.

I don't question the potential but we should realizer that in terms of present marketing exposure, TO is a small market for NBA.

Duncan is not asked since he plays in US where most of his games are available for most of the US to see (unlike most of Raps games). Yes, the St Antonio direct market is very small, but the rest of Texas alone has a lot more NBA fans than entire Canada.

While Canadian population is in between Texas & California population, each US state has 3 or 4 NBA teams. We could not afford to keep 2 NBA teams.
Do you think this is by accident and marketing refuses to make $$$ because they believe we live in igloos?
When Raps are good enough to warrant national (US national that is) coverage, then the questions for CB4 will stop. Until then, some of us better wake up & face reality.

And how can they expect to make $$$ with Raps international appeal until the Raps are not directly transmitted outside Canada? Selling a couple of shirts in Spain, Italy & Argentina is not enough.

As has been said many times, get a great product on the floor and that will take care of the rest.

Return to Toronto Raptors