ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets getting better?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Nets getting better? 

Post#1 » by whoknows » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Acquiring All-Star power forward Jermaine O'Neal from the Indiana Pacers remains a possibility for the New Jersey Nets, but could cost them their own All-Star, Vince Carter.

The Nets and Pacers, who discussed a multiplayer swap involving O'Neal in June, renewed talks recently, according to league sources familiar with the conversations.

The new proposal would send Carter, Marcus Williams and Jamaal Magloire to Indiana for O'Neal. But O'Neal has a bone bruise in his knee that will sideline him at least two weeks. Nothing is imminent, though, as O'Neal's health and $64 million salary through the 2009-10 season are real deterrents for the Nets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors;_ylt=Aj0aPEBgQJLvHlQMWeGcjVu8vLYF

I believe that Nets would get better.

Do you see the Nets improving & becoming a threat for Raptors?
steve101
Senior
And1: 1

Post#2 » by steve101 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:59 pm

LOL did you see them in OT last night vs the Clips??

There were destroyed in that 5min frame completely. JO is as good as done and I doubt Thorn sends all those pieces for an injury prone O'Neal.
whoknows
General Manager

Post#3 » by whoknows » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:02 pm

steve101 wrote:LOL did you see them in OT last night vs the Clips??

There were destroyed in that 5min frame completely. JO is as good as done and I doubt Thorn sends all those pieces for an injury prone O'Neal.

I know, they can only get better...

Although JO is out for 2 weeks, it his last chance to prove something. Usually a change of scenery works for a while. Worked at begining for VC.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#4 » by Mak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm all for Vince getting traded from team to team, just so he feels like nobody really wants his sorry undependable ass.
bballin
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by bballin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:08 pm

JO is overrated as is Carter, good meaningless trade!
whoknows
General Manager

Post#6 » by whoknows » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Mak wrote:I'm all for Vince getting traded from team to team, just so he feels like nobody really wants his sorry undependable ass.

In couple of years, he might, after all end up in TO as a filler in a trade.
Would that fuel the ppl who wanted his jersey retired by Raps?

The irony...
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#7 » by Mr. Perfect » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm

I don't understand the need to add Marcus Williams and Magloire to the trade. Vince has more value than JO at this point.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#8 » by Live Free » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:I don't understand the need to add Marcus Williams and Magloire to the trade. Vince has more value than JO at this point.

its called hustlin
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#9 » by Rhettmatic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:I don't understand the need to add Marcus Williams and Magloire to the trade. Vince has more value than JO at this point.

O'Neal has a massive deal.
Raptorian
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Raptorian » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 pm

The nets could do better than O'neal if they are going to trade carter and a promising young player in marcus williams.

JO has shown that he is an injury prone player on the downside of his career. His play has been awful, considering he is making a ton of money.

If I were the Nets, I would even prefer Randolf over JO (which is sayingn something).
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#11 » by Mak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 pm

Raptorian wrote:The nets could do better than O'neal if they are going to trade carter and a promising young player in marcus williams.

JO has shown that he is an injury prone player on the downside of his career. His play has been awful, considering he is making a ton of money.

If I were the Nets, I would even prefer Randolf over JO (which is sayingn something).

Marcus Williams sadly would only be a minor upgrade over Martin/Dixon. He will be out of the league when his rookie deal expires.
Vik Rude
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Vik Rude » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:15 am

JO and Kidd would be a massive force in my opinion so this is definitely an upside for New Jersey. Pacers on the other hand would then be in kind of a rebuilding stage with Carter as their superstar and we ALL know how that turns out.

Amazing deal for Nets

Big risk for Indiana
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#13 » by PopAGat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:26 am

Jermaine O'neal is washed up. I'd stick with Carter. Even if this trade goes through, the Nets get worse and the Pacers are taking a risk with Carter. Carter won't play good if there isn't a good player to play with. J.O isn't the same Jermaine O'neal we knew 2 years ago.
Credits to TurboZone
Vik Rude
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Vik Rude » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:28 am

Jason Kidd will make O'Neal play like the JO he was 2 years ago. Look at the wonders he did for KMart, as soon as Martin left he was nothing. Kidd makes a huge difference when it comes to players playing at a whole new level.

Vince Carter himself wouldn't be doing this good if it wasn't for Kidd.
omeloon
Starter

Post#15 » by omeloon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 am

If Marcus Williams was added to the trade, that would definitely be great for the future of the Raps and the other Atlantic teams. The Nets will have a fun time rebuilding two years from now with very few young pieces in place.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 am

bballin wrote:JO is overrated as is Carter, good meaningless trade!

I don't think he's overrated as much as overpaid and unhealthy.

He's a legit big man who can score in the post, rebound and is a terrific defender. A healthy Jermaine would be coveted by tons of teams.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#17 » by Geddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:43 am

A Nets team with JO would be much stronger than their current team. They already have RJ who has a similar game to Vince so losing Vince and gaining JO wouldn't hurt them at all.
omeloon
Starter

Post#18 » by omeloon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 am

JO is definitely over rated. Artest was the best player on the team back when they were making noise. That being said, if Kidd was setting him up for a few more easy baskets than JO's used to, New Jersey would definitely welcome what he can bring to the table. He has always shot a pretty bad percentage from the field... hopefully Kidd could help make him a tiny bit more respectable. His defense is slightly overrated, but he'd still be a significant improvement over what the Nets have, and he'd make things easier for Jefferson - that's for sure.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 am

omeloon wrote:JO is definitely over rated. Artest was the best player on the team back when they were making noise. That being said, if Kidd was setting him up for a few more easy baskets than JO's used to, New Jersey would definitely welcome what he can bring to the table. He has always shot a pretty bad percentage from the field... hopefully Kidd could help make him a tiny bit more respectable. His defense is slightly overrated, but he'd still be a significant improvement over what the Nets have, and he'd make things easier for Jefferson - that's for sure.

That's debateable for sure. I would disagree because I've never been impressed with Artest's shot selection. But let's argue that you're right for a second? That would make him the 2nd best player, by a hair, on a 60 win team, right? ;)

But when healthy, I always thought that he was in that 2nd tier of big men. Along with Brand, Gasol, Bosh etc..
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#20 » by Schad » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:00 am

The_Hater wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think he's overrated as much as overpaid and unhealthy.

He's a legit big man who can score in the post, rebound and is a terrific defender. A healthy Jermaine would be coveted by tons of teams.

I'll gladly concede the second and third point, but O'Neal is becoming little more than a jumpshooter on offense...and his jumper is rather bad. Now, that's largely a product of compounded injuries, but I doubt very much that he will ever be even a second option out of the post again.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Raptors