ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets getting better?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Looogie
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 210

Post#21 » by Looogie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:09 am

Would balance out the NJ roster, so it's a good move for that reason. Vince + RJ has never really worked, they work best when one is out or sucking.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Re: Nets getting better? 

Post#22 » by RapsBulls4evr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:16 am

whoknows wrote:
Acquiring All-Star power forward Jermaine O'Neal from the Indiana Pacers remains a possibility for the New Jersey Nets, but could cost them their own All-Star, Vince Carter.

The Nets and Pacers, who discussed a multiplayer swap involving O'Neal in June, renewed talks recently, according to league sources familiar with the conversations.

The new proposal would send Carter, Marcus Williams and Jamaal Magloire to Indiana for O'Neal. But O'Neal has a bone bruise in his knee that will sideline him at least two weeks. Nothing is imminent, though, as O'Neal's health and $64 million salary through the 2009-10 season are real deterrents for the Nets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors;_ylt=Aj0aPEBgQJLvHlQMWeGcjVu8vLYF

I believe that Nets would get better.

Do you see the Nets improving & becoming a threat for Raptors?

NO. The should go in rebuilding mode.
omeloon
Starter
And1: 1

Post#23 » by omeloon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:17 am

The_Hater wrote:That's debateable for sure. I would disagree because I've never been impressed with Artest's shot selection. But let's argue that you're right for a second? That would make him the 2nd best player, by a hair, on a 60 win team, right? ;)

But when healthy, I always thought that he was in that 2nd tier of big men. Along with Brand, Gasol, Bosh etc..

Have you looked at Jermaine's shooting percentages year to year??! It's obvious that his shot selction hasn't been that great either.

As far as him being the second best player on a 60 win team... that's true. He's always been a very good player, just not the mega star everyone has always made him out to be. All it used to take to be a very good team was a duo like Pierce/Artest and Jermaine/Walker... but PF's have gotten A LOT better since then.

I agree that he was always just about on the same level as Bosh and Gasol, but he was always made out to be much better than that... and thats when Bosh and Gasol were pretty young and just starting to put up great numbers too.

Bosh has already passed him, and the gap is just getting larger and larger... and I dont even like Bosh all that much.

Basically, Jermaine is nice... but he has always looked better than he has been because of the lack of big men the East always had. He's a very god starter, and possibly even a star... but not a franchise player like a lot of people have made him out to be. I'm pretty sure most people would take a healthy Bosh, Okafor, Brand, Boozer, Garnett, Dirk, Duncan, Gasol, Dwight, or Al Jefferson over a healthy Jermaine. Aldridge and Horford will be considered better in a few years as well. Some might even take Rasheed, Jamison, or Camby over him.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#24 » by Shaazzam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:21 am

I wonder how injured prone reallyJO is and how much he hates his current team. Could he get a fresh lease on life and be rejuvenated?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#25 » by inrapscity » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:23 am

if this trade went down, Nets would be a hell lot better than they are right now.

I don't get what Carter would bring to the Pacers. I honestly don't understand their roster. At least they'll get an all-star but other than that, it really doesn't do much for the Pacers.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#26 » by whoknows » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:34 am

inrapscity wrote:if this trade went down, Nets would be a hell lot better than they are right now.

I don't get what Carter would bring to the Pacers. I honestly don't understand their roster. At least they'll get an all-star but other than that, it really doesn't do much for the Pacers.

IMO Indiana might also gain from this.
Right now they have about same record as Nets = borderline playoffs.

This trade will get JO off their books and behind a bit younger (hopefully enthusiastic) VC they might follow up with a couple more trades to straighten up the roster. Bird can not be pleased with what he has at present.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#27 » by The Letter V » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:12 am

I do hope that Marcus Williams is included in that trade because sooner or later the Nets will look for J-Kidd's replacement, and we could dangle on of our PGs in front of them in exchange for Richard Jefferson.

..I know you're not suppposed to trade within your own division, but I want RJ on this team in a bad way.
Illuminati
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#28 » by Illuminati » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 pm

They could beat the Raptors again if you ask me.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#29 » by dacrusha » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:03 pm

NJ and Indiana are in a similar position with JO and Carter that we were with, with Jalen Rose... no longer dominant players, 3-4 years removed from their peak, taking up 1/3 of the cap.

Perfect treadmill players for treadmill teams.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#30 » by Pchu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I never thought JO is that good. In his prime, he is a second tier PF/C, who can score a bit and defend really well. Just don't expect him to shoot a high percentage. So he would be a good #2 in a championship team.

Right now, he is overpaid, and not healthy. I wouldn't trade for him, that's for sure.

As for the Nets, they are not a deep team. Kidd is a little overrated right now, even with the triple doubles, he's hurting his team with his shooting and turnovers. Vince is 31 years old, so a decline is expected. RJ is their best player right now, but he is probably do better as a #2 or 3 option.

They really don't have depth in SG and need a low post option. With the age of Kidd and Carter, it's probably better for them to rebuild than continue on this path. They could make the playoffs in the East, since there isn't another team that can step up as the 8th seed. But making the 8th seed (or 7th for that matter), means nothing since they would lose 4 straight games against either Detroit or Boston. This core isn't really young either, so it would be better if they move Kidd and Carter.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#31 » by gp2015 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Jo might be sitting out the rest of the season so this trade isn't going to happen unless the Nets want to just give up on the season and wait for next year.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#32 » by Shaazzam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 pm

gp2015 wrote:Jo might be sitting out the rest of the season so this trade isn't going to happen unless the Nets want to just give up on the season and wait for next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's an unofficial trade request. Possibly I am being overly suspicious and way off base, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Slam Dunk!
Junior
And1: 18

Post#33 » by Slam Dunk! » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Mak wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Marcus Williams sadly would only be a minor upgrade over Martin/Dixon. He will be out of the league when his rookie deal expires.

This post is insane. He has enough game for a team to want to pick him up. He can shoot, penetrate and distribute, he just needs more time to get accustomed to playing. It doesn't help that he has to play behind Jason Kidd.

Edit: Is that better? :D

Return to Toronto Raptors