ImageImageImageImageImage

2nd Round Series Thread: Celtics vs. Cavaliers (2-2)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who will win this series?

Celtics in 4
5%
Celtics in 5
15%
Celtics in 7
35%
Cavaliers in 4
5%
Cavaliers in 5
No votes
Cavaliers in 6
30%
Cavaliers in 7
10%

Total votes: 20

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#101 » by LLJ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:33 pm

[quote="I_Like_Dirt"][/quote]

I don't disagree with you. KG doesn't take over game so much as keep the team consistently strong defensively. Impact wise, he may be no different from a young Dikembe.

Some might argue Dikembe was a bigger factor too.

That said, comparing KG to Chris, I still think that KG is the better player currently. But I do agree he isn't "dominant".
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#102 » by Joker » Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 pm

dikembe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> garnett on defense
General Ford
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#103 » by General Ford » Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 pm

good game
LLJ
RealGM

Post#104 » by LLJ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 pm

General Ford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would argue he's a second rate scorer

He's on the borderline. He's still 10x better than anyone we have. He's a legit 24-25 ppg scorer when healthy. He was an all-star once, if a minor one. If we can only get a "second rate" one, I think Redd is the only one I could live with.
Nia
Assistant Coach
And1: 4
Location: South Beach, Miami, but currently live in Tdot for School

Post#105 » by Nia » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

BOSTON WON!
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#106 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Currently, KG may very well be the better player. I just don't think it's by a very significant margin and I really don't think it's such a surprise given that Garnett is pretty much in his prime while Bosh is still incredibly young. Can you imagine how much hate Bosh would be getting from everywhere if he ever had this kind of performance in a deciding game 7 against a pretty brutal frontcourt? Garnett gets far more benefit of the doubt in terms of lack of success when it counts than any player I've ever seen.
Bucket! Bucket!
Joker
RealGM

Post#107 » by Joker » Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 pm

Garnett missed the playoffs 3 straight years in his prime. I think that speaks volumes as to whether he's an all-time great or just a great but flawed player of his time.
That Other Guy
Veteran
And1: 95

Post#108 » by That Other Guy » Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 pm

:clap: Great game.
General Ford
Banned User

Post#109 » by General Ford » Sun May 18, 2008 10:40 pm

LLJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's on the borderline. He's still 10x better than anyone we have. He's a legit 24-25 ppg scorer when healthy. He was an all-star once, if a minor one. If we can only get a "second rate" one, I think Redd is the only one I could live with.

I hear where you're coming from but I still look at cap considerations as well. He is grossly overpaid I would rather get a cheaper 20ppg scorer than a guy who is getting max money and not delivering
LLJ
RealGM

Post#110 » by LLJ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:42 pm

I hear you about the cap considerations, Ford. Still, I think his stats compare well to the top wing players in the league. I believe he's in a similar position as Pierce was the last few years--a good player who looks worse on a bad team.

That said, I don't recall him ever having any good playoff games, so you have a point. I'd rather gamble on McGrady.
CB4-TJ11-AB7
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by CB4-TJ11-AB7 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:43 pm

LLJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You put Redd with TJ and they work very well together. Redd didn't like it before because the rookie TJ was getting more love from fans. But they worked well together. I haven't seen Redd slash a paint for a ball since he played with TJ, they annoyed each on the court enough to drag the best out of the other. And they magically had great chemistry, the number of TJ drives and kicks for Redd 3's was unbelievable. Pair that with Bosh and a defensive 3, and that's a pretty good team.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#112 » by vaff87 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:Currently, KG may very well be the better player. I just don't think it's by a very significant margin and I really don't think it's such a surprise given that Garnett is pretty much in his prime while Bosh is still incredibly young. Can you imagine how much hate Bosh would be getting from everywhere if he ever had this kind of performance in a deciding game 7 against a pretty brutal frontcourt? Garnett gets far more benefit of the doubt in terms of lack of success when it counts than any player I've ever seen.

I 100% agree. People always talk about how "tough" he is, and how "intense" he is, and all this bull. Yet, Garnett has never proven in his career that he can dominate when it counts and he's 31. Meanwhile, Bosh who just turned 24 and was only playing in his second playoff series, gets labeled "soft" when he goes off for 39 and 15 in game 4 vs. the Magic.

On another note, LeBron continues to amaze me. Even though they lost, he put on a spectacular performance on the road in game 7 vs. the best team in the league. He almost won the game by himself! If he had some good teammates he would be unstoppable.
Paperclip
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Paperclip » Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

imagine if lebron wasnt surrounded by a bunch of scrubs (except Big Z he is good)
Joker
RealGM

Post#114 » by Joker » Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

vaff87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I 100% agree. People always talk about how "tough" he is, and how "intense" he is, and all this bull. Yet, Garnett has never proven in his career that he can dominate when it counts and he's 31. Meanwhile, Bosh who just turned 24 and was only playing in his second playoff series, gets labeled "soft" when he goes off for 39 and 15 in game 4 vs. the Magic.

On another note, LeBron continues to amaze me. Even though they lost, he put on a spectacular performance on the road in game 7 vs. the best team in the league. He almost won the game by himself! If he had some good teammates he would be unstoppable.

Imagine if Lebron had Kobe's help.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#115 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 pm

LLJ wrote:That said, I don't recall him ever having any good playoff games, so you have a point. I'd rather gamble on McGrady.

He's been on some pretty **** teams so he doesn't have a very big track record but Redd's playoff performances shot up each time he made the playoffs to the point where he averaged 27/5/2 on .524 shooting in his last playoff series in 05/06. McGrady is better, when healthy, and a more well-rounded player but Redd is still solid in his own right.
Bucket! Bucket!
LLJ
RealGM

Post#116 » by LLJ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:53 pm

More on Bosh vs KG...

I've always felt that Bosh is maximizing his abilities. Whatever problems he runs into in the playoffs, it's more of a lack of natrual size/ability rather than him not trying or choking.

I look at KG and I still see things he should be doing more of, and he doesn't. Bosh pretty much does everything I think his ability allows him to do.

On a different tangent, you look at Kobe, and I don't he's think he's as NATURALLY talented as Lebron, McGrady or even Vince. Don't get me wrong, Kobe is still plenty talented, but he doesn't have Vince's natural athleticism, McGrady's natural court sense, or Lebron's total package. But Kobe tries so hard, and practices so hard, that he sometimes plays over his actual talent level and look now he's still standing tall while his early 00's peers have faded considerably.
CB4-TJ11-AB7
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by CB4-TJ11-AB7 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:57 pm

LLJ wrote:More on Bosh vs KG...

I've always felt that Bosh is maximizing his abilities. Whatever problems he runs into in the playoffs, it's more of a lack of natrual size/ability rather than him not trying or choking.

I look at KG and I still see things he should be doing more of, and he doesn't. Bosh pretty much does everything I think his ability allows him to do.

On a different tangent, you look at Kobe, and I don't he's think he's as NATURALLY talented as Lebron, McGrady or even Vince. Don't get me wrong, Kobe is still plenty talented, but he doesn't have Vince's natural athleticism, McGrady's natural court sense, or Lebron's total package. But Kobe tries so hard, and practices so hard, that he sometimes plays over his actual talent level and look now he's still standing tall while his early 00's peers have faded considerably.

100% agree, people don't realize that Kobe isn't LeBron talented or Vince talented. There's a guy who worked his ass off and continues working his tail off. He doesn't have LeBron's body or package so he built his own body and package. It amazes me that the best player in the league doesn't take time off in the offseason yet so many players complain about that extra work in the offseason.
BOSHFAN
Senior
And1: 3

Post#118 » by BOSHFAN » Sun May 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Joker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Imagine if Lebron had Kobe's help.

you know i never thought of it that way. My eyes were like :o when i read your post.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#119 » by hsb » Sun May 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Detroit's big 5 are going to beat Boston's big 3.

I'm predicting they'll take one in Boston, eliminating home court advantage. It should be a good series nonetheless.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
LLJ
RealGM

Post#120 » by LLJ » Sun May 18, 2008 11:02 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's been on some pretty **** teams so he doesn't have a very big track record but Redd's playoff performances shot up each time he made the playoffs to the point where he averaged 27/5/2 on .524 shooting in his last playoff series in 05/06. McGrady is better, when healthy, and a more well-rounded player but Redd is still solid in his own right.

Wow, that's actually pretty good. I guess I didn't pay much attention to that because the Bucks never lasted more than 5 games and some of them were not close in the 4th quarter. Still, he did it against the Pistons, which means they decided to stop everyone else and "contain" Redd as best as they could, but he still hurt them somewhat.

I think a lot of fans are scared off him because of his big contract and unknown quality but now I'm even more convinced we have to take advantage of that should we have the opportunity to do so. I think at this point in Redd's career we can afford to take his big contract because he should be productive for most of it.

Return to Toronto Raptors