ImageImageImageImageImage

Surprise, surprise: Calderon leads Raptors in charges taken

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Surprise, surprise: Calderon leads Raptors in charges taken 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:39 am

read more here

It's really underwhelming with only 20 charges taken. Bosh is next with 18, followed by Delfino with 17.

Last year, both Bosh and Parker led the team with 33 charges each. The year before that, MoPete had 48 and Bosh 43.

Not sure why Bosh's numbers are continuing to decline. It could be an overcompensation for Bargnani's bad rotations.

By the way, for those dissing Maggette's defense, he's taken 37 charges, good for 15th in the entire league.

Edit: Also, check out the shooting fouls drawn. Jefferson is 6th, followed by Bosh 7th, followed by Maggette in 8th. If we get one of Jefferson and Maggette, we'd be getting to the line a minimum of 20 times per games. Freebie time.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#2 » by chsh22 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:13 pm

I saw that back when they first posted it because I was looking for Delfino's numbers because I had it in my head that he was our best at drawing charges by far.

Maggette seems like all around the best fit for us.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,976

Post#3 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Steve Nash is not far off with 37, and AI and Monta are ahead of Maggette, so, I don't know how charges drawn implies you're a good defender. Maybe it indicates defensive effort, which is something Maggette often gets criticized for.

I thought it was also interesting that Scola was the only Euroleaguer in the top ten, which would indicate that flopping might not be as big a concern as it's often made out to be.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by supersub15 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:40 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Steve Nash is not far off with 37, and AI and Monta are ahead of Maggette, so, I don't know how charges drawn implies you're a good defender. Maybe it indicates defensive effort, which is something Maggette often gets criticized for.

I thought it was also interesting that Scola was the only Euroleaguer in the top ten, which would indicate that flopping might not be as big a concern as it's often made out to be.

Charges taken imply effort AND defensive awareness (i.e. quick rotations and/or playing defense with your feet). That's good enough for me, since only a few players in the entire league can keep their man in front of them.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#5 » by Spragga » Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Chuckfino hasnt learned the art of flopping like the rest of his Argentinian bretheren. He always trys but he nevers gets the call.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#6 » by 5DOM » Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Steve Nash is not far off with 37, and AI and Monta are ahead of Maggette, so, I don't know how charges drawn implies you're a good defender. Maybe it indicates defensive effort, which is something Maggette often gets criticized for.

yeah. this is what came to my mind.

steve nash and his defence.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,599

Post#7 » by Mak » Mon May 19, 2008 1:36 pm

How many for Garbajosa last year?
BillyBob
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#8 » by BillyBob » Mon May 19, 2008 1:50 pm

5DOM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yeah. this is what came to my mind.

steve nash and his defence.

your right it doesnt directly mean the player is a good defender but it does say that he puts effort and is in the right position at the right time.

The reason Nash isnt considered a lock down defender is because he lacks athleticism. Now if you look at Maggette, he has the athleticism and now we just proved he has the brains. So you people should stop jumping on the bang wagon and hatting on his defense and actually watch him play.
shapeshifter
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Surprise, surprise: Calderon leads Raptors in charges ta 

Post#9 » by shapeshifter » Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 pm

supersub15 wrote:read more here

Not sure why Bosh's numbers are continuing to decline. It could be an overcompensation for Bargnani's bad rotations.

Your bias is getting childish. Maybe Chris listened to too many people telling him he was an elite scorer and he let his defensive game slide?
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,177

Post#10 » by HiJiNX » Mon May 19, 2008 2:56 pm

shapeshifter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Your bias is getting childish. Maybe Chris listened to too many people telling him he was an elite scorer and he let his defensive game slide?

Or perhaps his knee wasn't 100% for most of the year slowing him down laterally and/or it's hard to rotate in time when the perimeter defense is atrocious?
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Nikeforged
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#11 » by Nikeforged » Mon May 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Calderon is probably the weakest defender on the Raptors, if he ever learned how to play he would be an above average starting point guard in the NBA. Calderon thinks that running beside the player is the way to play defense, not staying in front of his man.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,501

Post#12 » by dagger » Mon May 19, 2008 3:54 pm

HiJiNX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Or perhaps his knee wasn't 100% for most of the year slowing him down laterally and/or it's hard to rotate in time when the perimeter defense is atrocious?

Or perhaps since Bargnani drew only four few charges than Bosh, Bargnani was overcompensating for Chris a lot. :lol:
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,976

Post#13 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 pm

supersub15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Charges taken imply effort AND defensive awareness (i.e. quick rotations and/or playing defense with your feet). That's good enough for me, since only a few players in the entire league can keep their man in front of them.

Well...there's so much more that goes into defensive awareness than drawing charges. Smart fouls, forcing driver to weak hand, closing out, helping...I'd rather go after one of the few guys that can keep his man in front of him (JHoward).
GWgw
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,123

Post#14 » by GWgw » Mon May 19, 2008 5:08 pm

I am amazingly underwhelmed that he draws 1 charge every 4 games. Not exactly a difference maker.
Exar Kun
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Exar Kun » Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm

It should be noted that Maggette is also 18th in the league (32, 1 less than Bosh) in committing offensive fouls. So although we'd be going to the line more, we'd also be turning the ball over more. Almost cancels each other out.
Seasontickets
Bench Warmer
And1: 600

Post#16 » by Seasontickets » Mon May 19, 2008 5:53 pm

League wide "charge" calls have been down.

I argued in a thread a while ago that this had greatly affected the Raptor's defense as we don't have the shotblocking to replace these missing calls.

BTW good point on Magette having lots of offensive fouls. It may be an indication of offensive slashing so you'd have to take into account all the positives vs. the negatives.

Ie.

Charges + Stls + Offensive rbds vs. To's per game.

Plus he would help in the FT category.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by supersub15 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Exar Kun wrote:It should be noted that Maggette is also 18th in the league (32, 1 less than Bosh) in committing offensive fouls. So although we'd be going to the line more, we'd also be turning the ball over more. Almost cancels each other out.

That's a by-product of being a slasher. Despite being 18th in offensive fouls, he's still only averaging 2.8 turnovers per game, which is pretty good. Consider that Wade averages 4.4.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#18 » by Harry Palmer » Mon May 19, 2008 6:05 pm

You are never going to get a consensus on what it means for a player to take a lot of charges.

Some guys think it means you're a heady defensive player with anticipation, some guys think it means you're a lazy or not-quick guy looking for the easy way out.

There are great defensive coaches on either side of the line with this. I tend to look at it this way: if the guy is a good defender overall, it probably means the former. If the guy is a bad defender overall, it probably means the latter.

So in this case, I'd assume it means Jose was looking for the easy way out.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#19 » by RockTHECasbah » Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Everybody clap your hands!!!!!!
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
gusguy
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#20 » by gusguy » Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Nikeforged wrote:Calderon is probably the weakest defender on the Raptors, if he ever learned how to play he would be an above average starting point guard in the NBA. Calderon thinks that running beside the player is the way to play defense, not staying in front of his man.

He forgets how soft his teammates are and that they will not rotate to the proper spots on time.

Return to Toronto Raptors