ImageImageImageImageImage

Rasho returning to the Raptors?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptorized_Stosh
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Rasho returning to the Raptors? 

Post#61 » by Raptorized_Stosh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 am

Rhettmatic wrote:But the whole scenario is based on Rasho being bought out. And if that's the case, he'll play for the vet minimum, since anything he earns counts against the buyout anyway.

uhh... I believe you are wrong
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#62 » by halfcourt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 am

I would love this deal twice as much if Rasho comes back to Toronto. There arent better guys to have in the locker room to mentor young players and the man is a born winner.

and it also means no minutes for Kris "thinks he's the second coming of Jordan" Humphries
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#63 » by Buyaka » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 am

I am not questioning Ozzy on this, but why would Indiana waive a serviceable big. Besides, why not flip Rasho's expiring contract for a young asset. I can't see this rumour happening.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#64 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 am

Raptorized_Stosh wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:But the whole scenario is based on Rasho being bought out. And if that's the case, he'll play for the vet minimum, since anything he earns counts against the buyout anyway.

uhh... I believe you are wrong

It's possible, it definitely happens pretty often. I'll see if I can find anything on the internet to support me/prove me wrong.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#65 » by grimlock » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 am

Buyaka wrote:I am not questioning Ozzy on this, but why would Indiana waive a serviceable big. Besides, why not flip Rasho's expiring contract for a young asset. I can't see this rumour happening.

Why? maybe because its a wink wink deal that was agreed upon to make contracts work
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#66 » by halfcourt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:07 am

grimlock wrote:
Buyaka wrote:I am not questioning Ozzy on this, but why would Indiana waive a serviceable big. Besides, why not flip Rasho's expiring contract for a young asset. I can't see this rumour happening.

Why? maybe because its a wink wink deal that was agreed upon to make contracts work

also, it could be the incentive for us because we're getting the bigger contract and the bigger injury risk back
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#67 » by inrapscity » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 am

I thought the league was going to look hard upon such things.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#68 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 am

If this is true it makes this deal better for us. If JO gets hurt we'll have a guy we know can conribute and fill that hole while JO is out. Indy really doesn't need Rasho if they truley are rebuilding. They have Harrison and Foster at center already and they wll probably pick up a young big with 17 so they really don't need Rasho even if he could conribute in Indy.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#69 » by Hendrix » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:25 am

That would be sick. Then we could package Bargnani, + an expiring or something to maybe get a wing player taht can play basketball and whatnot without having to worry about JO not having a decent backuop if he goes down.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
user name
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#70 » by user name » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 am

First, I doubt Indiana would want to waive Rasho. He turns into a nice big expiring contract for them to use to deal for someone else. Another team could even get involved before the trade can actually happen in July.

Even if for some odd reason Indiana bought him out- which I doubt because he could start for them- there is still the issue of him wanting to return to Toronto and for the minimum. As much as Rasho and his family love the city, the guy does still want to play. He is not a complainer and is always a team first guy, but he is only 32 years old and not ready to sit on the bench all year-- which he would if he returned to Toronto. He could even play in Europe for better money if he got waived.

One more thing- I doubt Rasho will agree to be bought out while he is playing for his national team- as he would be without a contract.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#71 » by KingstonRaptors » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 am

Yes, he'll be the ideal back-up for JO and a body on the bench if JO's knee doesn't hold up.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#72 » by Hoopstarr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 am

LOL, why would the Pacers waive an expiring contract! That's the whole reason they made this trade--cap flexibility for a rebuilding team. If they waive him, 1) they lose a guy who can start for them and 2) they can't package him in an in-season trade if they need to.

Would be nice to have Rasho for when JO will inevitably go down, but not gonna happen.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#73 » by grimlock » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 am

hoopstarr3 wrote:LOL, why would the Pacers waive an expiring contract! That's the whole reason they made this trade--cap flexibility for a rebuilding team. If they waive him, 1) they lose a guy who can start for them and 2) they can't package him in an in-season trade if they need to.

Would be nice to have Rasho for when JO will inevitably go down, but not gonna happen.

If that was part of the deal to begin with it doesn't matter. But if people are just speculating..obviously Indiana would never do that.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,546

Post#74 » by TheRaptor! » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 am

It could explain why we had to include the pick
user name
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#75 » by user name » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:21 am

Is the suggestion or claim that the deal was contingent upon the Pacers agreeing to waive Rasho? Can they make that part of a trade deal?
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#77 » by JJWong17 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
xbl_sucks wrote:Isn't ageist the CBA? I mean if a player is traded from his team isn't he not allowed to return to his previous team for one whole year?

I remember reading something like this somewhere

I believe they introduced that rule after the Gary Payton-Antoine Walker trade a few years ago.

But I think it's only a month or so before you can go back to your original team. The Spurs and Sonics did that with Brent Barry this year. Where he was traded for Kurt Thomas, Barry was cut and went back to San Antonio about a month later.

Did it with Stackhouse too. Remember when he just flat out said that's what was happening? Ahh, dumb people make good news stories.

It's looked down upon but not expressly forbidden.
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#78 » by JJWong17 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:32 am

user name wrote:Is the suggestion or claim that the deal was contingent upon the Pacers agreeing to waive Rasho? Can they make that part of a trade deal?

Unofficially I think they can. Brent Barry and Jerry Stackhouse did much of the same as I remember.

Edit: D-d-d-d-double post!
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#79 » by FreeRon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 am

I really don't see it happening, but then again I can't say I'd be too surprised if it did. To be honest, though, if JO and TJ both return to form and we keep Rasho and draft the best player available at 17 and the Raptors throw in the best player they could to make salaries match the Raptors still get the better of the deal. If JO doesn't return to form the Raptors get the short end of the deal regardless of what happens with the rest of the players. It's so dependent on the health of JO that it's hard saying what kind of deals the two teams made on the side.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#80 » by v1n5anity » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:00 am

if Indy waives Rasho I'm all for getting him back.

Return to Toronto Raptors