ImageImageImageImageImage

Neglected benefit of the JO trade - Effect on Bosh

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Re: Neglected benefit of the JO trade - Effect on Bosh 

Post#21 » by JL5 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:43 pm

Definitely excited for the season. Hopefully J.O. will put a bit of a mean streak in Bargs too. Maybe they can be work out buddies. Anything to get put some muscle on Bargs, haha.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#22 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:50 pm

Sik_Wit_It wrote:JO, Moon & Bosh will be having Block Party after Block Party...all season long.

And we're all invited...I heard Joey is doing the BBQ
Got Raps FanFiction?
Air_Surfer
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Air_Surfer » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:00 pm

Maximillion wrote:I am drunk as ****.

Bosh is gonna be a **** animal!

ahahahah you post on boards when your drunk
General Ford
Banned User

Post#24 » by General Ford » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:01 pm

ghuytro wrote:I think one thing we've overlooked in getting JO is how he'll rub off on CB4.

We often forget how young Bosh is and how he's had the spotlight of the being the face of the franchise pushed upon him since he was what - 21 or 22 years old? It's a real testament to his talent and his character how he never buckled in the face of that kind of pressure. To the contrary - he's thrived both on the court (All-Star appearances) and off the court (blog, funny videos, Cabbie segments etc.).

Bosh is soft... Everyone in the NBA knows this but Raptor fans. He's not a leader he's a talented follower. 100's of players before him were put in the same situation with MORE of a spotlight on them and they passed with flying colours, hell we don't even watch basketball in Canada curling gets better ratings.
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#25 » by asif9t9 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:05 pm

I don't think pro athletes can just be whipped into shape by other players. If the Raps do well, people will credit JO and BC. However, it'll be CB who gets MVP votes. Just the way it is. If the team is just average, it'll be on Sam to answer questions after games. CB will give standard answers, JO will implode and JC and AB will suddenly "me no speaka no English."
Silk Wilkes
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#26 » by Silk Wilkes » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:23 pm

General Ford wrote:
ghuytro wrote:I think one thing we've overlooked in getting JO is how he'll rub off on CB4.

We often forget how young Bosh is and how he's had the spotlight of the being the face of the franchise pushed upon him since he was what - 21 or 22 years old? It's a real testament to his talent and his character how he never buckled in the face of that kind of pressure. To the contrary - he's thrived both on the court (All-Star appearances) and off the court (blog, funny videos, Cabbie segments etc.).

Bosh is soft... Everyone in the NBA knows this but Raptor fans. He's not a leader he's a talented follower. 100's of players before him were put in the same situation with MORE of a spotlight on them and they passed with flying colours, hell we don't even watch basketball in Canada curling gets better ratings.

How does Bosh being a "talented follower" make him soft? My goodness, it's amazing how many people don't use their brains on this board, and if you use injuries as an excuse then D-Wade, Elton Brand and Baron Davis would be even softer than CB. Besides, what's wrong with being a second star? KG was arguably the second star on the Celtics this season but he got the MVP votes over Pierce because of the attitude he instilled in everyone. In case you haven't noticed, not too many LeBron's and Kobe's are out there walking around.
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#27 » by ghuytro » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:24 pm

General Ford wrote:

From your posts in the Canadian National Team thread to this post among others, your posts are rapidly taking on the bitter tone of a spurned lover.
Sik_Wit_It
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#28 » by Sik_Wit_It » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:43 pm

He's up in tears over the Ford to the junk yard trade.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#29 » by Deadpool Raptor » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:06 am

ansoncarter wrote:JO is one of the coolest guys in the league other than suckerpunching fat kids but I don't think it matters much. What matters is if he can still play because...

dwight levelled up with better teammates
amare levelled up with better teammates
gasol levelled up with better teammates

bosh might too. And new level bosh would be pretty beastly probably even get a new finishing move

Well, if you check the tape, it wasn't a little kid, it was some fat dude (he was "short" but only compared to the NBA players).

Further, again checking the tape, his punch was purely in the act of having his teammate's back and not outward aggression. The fan jumped onto the court and confronted Artest, and JO came to back his teammate up (just because a guy isn't the size of an NBA player, doesn't mean he cannot hurt an NBA player, just ask Paul from Boston).

I think that kind of support for his teammates is something we need, so that it's someone other than our coach Sam running out and holding our boys' collective backs
General Ford
Banned User

Post#30 » by General Ford » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:43 am

ghuytro wrote:
General Ford wrote:

From your posts in the Canadian National Team thread to this post among others, your posts are rapidly taking on the bitter tone of a spurned lover.

lol ya that must be it...
General Ford
Banned User

Post#31 » by General Ford » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:45 am

Youngblood wrote:
General Ford wrote:

How does Bosh being a "talented follower" make him soft? My goodness, it's amazing how many people don't use their brains on this board, and if you use injuries as an excuse then D-Wade, Elton Brand and Baron Davis would be even softer than CB. Besides, what's wrong with being a second star? KG was arguably the second star on the Celtics this season but he got the MVP votes over Pierce because of the attitude he instilled in everyone. In case you haven't noticed, not too many LeBron's and Kobe's are out there walking around.

He's not a leader and when the chips are down he folds. D - Wade is a Champ and a playoff MVP and btw soft isn't measured on health its a players born temperment that is in question
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#32 » by tylrrr » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:50 am

Wade won his MVP off of terrible refereeing and hype.
General Ford
Banned User

Post#33 » by General Ford » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:55 am

tylrrr wrote:Wade won his MVP off of terrible refereeing and hype.

sure. still a champ though.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,580

Post#34 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:33 am

A voice in the locker room is great, but is JO a voice on the floor on defense? That's an honest question. I don't think Bosh will ever be that guy, consistently at least.

That's what we really need from our C, it was a big problem with Andrea. Rasho talked, but we haven't had someone direct the defense from the post with any kind of authority since Charles Oakley did it way back. The centre has the best view on the court. If JO can do that, that'll be worth a ton to Bosh and the Raps.
ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#35 » by ToffKobe » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:54 am

I honestly didn't know J. Oneal was a humble dude until this past year. I always thought he was a thug (aka Melo :D) because of the Pacers/Pistons incident, but I have to admit this was one of the sickest bad ass punches I've ever seen in my life. http://youtube.com/watch?v=UF8vjZYnPOw :lol:

But I quickly learned this past year that he's a really nice guy and humble as someone said earlier. Here's a video that a pacers fan posted on this forum that made me saw awwww (no homo).
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzopKcPYV54
cheapfoul
Sophomore

Post#36 » by cheapfoul » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:34 pm

General Ford wrote:

Everyone in the NBA thinks Bosh is soft huh?

Maybe you should stick to commenting on curling or the Maple Leafs or whatever other sport you are watching.
cheapfoul
Sophomore

Post#37 » by cheapfoul » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:35 pm

General Ford wrote:

Everyone in the NBA thinks Bosh is soft huh?

Maybe you should stick to commenting on curling or the Maple Leafs or whatever other sport you are watching.
cheapfoul
Sophomore

Post#38 » by cheapfoul » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:43 pm

General Ford wrote:

He's not a leader and when the chips are down he folds. D - Wade is a Champ and a playoff MVP and btw soft isn't measured on health its a players born temperment that is in question

Another well thought out, well supported argument. How well supported you ask?

Last year, in his 2nd playoff, Chris averaged:

24 PPG
9 RPG
3 APG

In each case, his averages were higher than his regular season numbers. Yep, he really chokes come playoff time alright. Geez, I wonder if he might have done better if, rather than Rasho Nesterovic, his center was a motivated, healthy Shaquille O'neal who was 3 years younger! I think that just might have created a bit of a larger problem for Dwight Howard defensively.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#39 » by Rhettmatic » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:02 pm

General Ford wrote:He's not a leader and when the chips are down he folds. D - Wade is a Champ and a playoff MVP and btw soft isn't measured on health its a players born temperment that is in question

What a silly comment. BTW, clutch stats last season:

Bosh shot 47.1% from the field, 89% from the line and scored 36.7 points per 48 minutes of clutch time.
Wade shot 32.1% from the field, 76% from the line and scored 35.4 points per 48 minutes of clutch time.

http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#40 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:20 pm

JMillott wrote:I'm a Celtics fan and I think if Jermaine O'Neal is healthy that the Raptors become a very dangerous team after I really didn't think very much of them last season. He completely changes your defensive make up which was in my opinion by far your biggest weakness.

Instead of being a middle of the pack team defensively they have a chance to get up into the top five defenses give or take a few spots. That is huge when you have a pair of great offensive players in Bosh and Calderon for everybody else to play off of.

If he can give you guys 70-75 games of 15 PPG, 10 RPG, 2+ BPG, 1+ SPG basketball I think the Raptors have a chance to win 50-55 games this season. I respect the hell out of Chris Bosh and think a lot of people have the wrong idea about him defensively because he has largely been asked to go it alone up front when paired with Bargnani.

If you guys run with a starting lineup of C O'Neal, PF Bosh, SF Moon, SG Parker, PG Calderon that you can hold teams in the mid to low 90's in scoring on average. If Bosh gets to be the third best defensive player on the frontline behind O'Neal and Moon his defense is pretty damn good compared to most teams weakest links up front.

I also think this might free him up enough at the defense end that he will take an even larger role as a scorer. I think he is fully capable of getting himself into the 25 PPG range just by taking a 17-18 shots per game instead of 15 and with Calderon as the fulltime PG he should get even more easy looks.

Before this trade I thought it would be the 76ers who would finish second in the Atlantic division if they do anything to address their PF weakness which I think they did already by drafting Speights. I can't put them over the Raptors after the O'Neal trade if he can stay on the floor.

thanks for posting! i agree with this analysis. the best thing about a Bosh/O'Neal combo is that the Raps can walk into any opposing arena with a new attitude - no team gets a night off on the blocks or on the boards against our new frontline.
congrats on your championship run. we'll see you guys in November. tighten your laces...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Raptors