ImageImageImageImageImage

Going after Marion

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

arrpy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5

Re: Going after Marion 

Post#21 » by arrpy » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:23 pm

Raptorized_Stosh wrote:The Heat want a PG for Marion... we already traded TJ

Exactly...
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#22 » by Dr Octagon » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:43 pm

TYEZ wrote:I would like Marion, but this isn't gonna happen

Agree.

And that deal solves one issue but creates like 4 more. So no.
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#23 » by HSOB SIRHC » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:36 pm

Does Marion even have handles? What does Marion do that Moon or Bosh cant do? I thought we were looking for a guy that can create his own shot. I think people are looking at the name on the jersey rather than what the team's needs are.
Credit to Turbozone
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#24 » by chargerxthirty » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:43 pm

I don't want to give up Kapono at all. With our new paint presence hes going to make people pay bigtime for scrambling to get JO/Bosh in the paint.

Furthermore, Kaponos lack of production was due mostly to underutilization from Sam imo.

I don't know if you guys remember the playoffs, but Kapono was one of the only guys who brought his game. He was intense. Can never have to many clutch players.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#25 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:02 am

I like the concept. Comparing us to Boston, they weren't done when they got KG, they got Ray Allen too. Why should we be done after getting JO? Get another star player too, a wing. It's very much a win now concept, sacrificing the future, but hey it worked for the Celts.

I realize it ain't gonna happen, and our best hope is that Bargnani does develop against all evidence.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#26 » by gangstaff » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:26 am

LOL at some of you guys not wanting to trade Bargs and Kapono for Marion. Good grief. I'm not even Marion's biggest fan but that would be a great deal. Just look at that starting lineup.

Jose/Parker/Marion/Bosh/JO

Defense, shooting, athleticism, that team is sick. Thats the best starting 5 in the league, or close to it.

Marion is a superb athlete who can lock down 3 positions, doesn't chuck (.481% career), and is a big expiring...which is great not only 'cause we can either let him walk, sign him, or S&T; but he will be playing for his last big deal. Bargs is a third year, near bust, PF playing C who really is a 2 guard. Kapono is an overpaid 3 point shooter who can't create his own shot or play defense or bring any other intangibles. Hump and Graham are end of the benchers (although I think Hump can be better).

I'd do it, I mean heck we're already rolling the dice with JO why not go all the way??
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#27 » by HighOctane » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:42 am

Miras wrote:what a stupid trade, is Marion that much better then Kapono, Bargs, Hump and Graham?

Marion put up great numbers with Nash and he is more of energy guy, i wouldnt consider this trade at all, very stupid in my opinion.

Mr. Condescendant you are so wrong. Marion is far better than Kapono, Bargs, Hump and Graham combined.

Look at his numbers before Nash. They are quite the same, meaning even without an elaborate offensive system he was able to create for himself. He is an energy guy, but what's wrong with that? Have you seen how many steals/blocks a game he gets? Aren't we lacking any kind of defense? He fits everything we need. He's also a top fantasy player, and always a top 3-5 pick. Arguably 2.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,818

Post#28 » by junot111 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:14 am

Man, I don't know what some of you are smoking. How can you say no to an elite player like Marion?

In a heartbeat is all I have to say.
PeaceNluv
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#29 » by PeaceNluv » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:43 am

Miami wouldn't accept unless they just wanted to get rid of him. They have no use for any of the players we'd be offering.
formally known as VC4real
Lockdown
RealGM
And1: 1,499

Post#30 » by Lockdown » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:05 am

Miras wrote:Marion put up great numbers with Nash and he is more of energy guy, i wouldnt consider this trade at all, very stupid in my opinion.

He was an all star before they ever got Nash. He's a heck of a lot more than an energy player.

If the Miami Heat would actually trade Shawn Marion for the Toronto Raptors' bench, yeah, I'd do it. And I'm not as ready to trade Bargnani at the drop of a hat as many here are. The team would be thin as paper so the starters would have to play major, major minutes, but they would be a legit contender, not an almost contender like they are now.
JL5
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by JL5 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:09 am

Cassius wrote:
JL5 wrote:Even assuming this was a good deal, which I have yet to set my heart on, what would we do to fill out the rest of the roster?

I'm not big on salaries and caps, but if someone would be so kind as to figure out how much money we'd have spent on Bosh, O'Neal, Calderon, Marion, Parker, Moon, Adams, Ukic, and Jawai, I'm sure we'd all see how poorly this would work out. Not too mention that there are only 9 players in that list. We'd still have to sign at least 3, maybe 4 or 5, players just to full out the roster. Doesn't look too good.

We'd take on about $2M in salary. AB-5, Kapono-6, Hump-2, Graham-2.5 adds up to 15.5M. Marion makes 17.8 this year. If you switch Parker for Kapono, that number goes up to $3M. I prefer this, I doubt Miami does though.

From there, minimum salary players don't count against the cap.

Roger Mason Jr., DJ Mbenga and if we're lucky, a guy like Boki Nachbar, would fill out the roster just fine.

Jose/Ukic
Parker/Mason/Adams
Marion/Nachbar
Bosh/Moon
JO/Mbenga/Jawai

Wow, I didn't know that about minimum salary players. Thanks for the heads up.

In that case, yeah, sure, I wouldn't be horribly against the idea. I guess I'd be in the middle ground somewhere. Cool if it happens, cool if it doesn't...and I don't think it will.
Lib84
Senior
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Lib84 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:05 am

False Hope is at an all time high in this thread
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#33 » by Buyaka » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:30 am

Give it up people. We aint getting a 17 mil player this year. Besides, I am amazed at how people just throw in Andrea in deals. Will you eat crow in the event he improves his play this year?! Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of Bargnani, but this is still a 7 footer with skills entering his 3rd year.
alysomji
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by alysomji » Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:17 am

All of RMJ, Mbenga and Nachbar will get well above the minimum. Maybe not MLE-level money but they'll get paid close to as well as Delfino, if not better.

So, filling out the roster with guys like these for the minimum is a pipe dream. One or two guys might be willing to sign for the minimum to have a chance at a championship, however. But, there are American teams they could also do this with instead of coming to Toronto.

So, no guarantee that the guys you sign with the minimum will be much more than NBA rejects. Think Darrick-Martin-caliber guys. :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors