ImageImageImageImageImage

Carlos Delfino received offers from a lot of several places

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Re: Carlos Delfino received offers from a lot of several places 

Post#21 » by PopAGat » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:55 pm

I hope the Spurs sign him , so we can see him chuck loads of shots on ESPN. Then we can hear SVG take shots at him. :D

With Delfino on SAS that makes them worse. Thank goodness.
Credits to TurboZone
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#22 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:56 am

If he goes to a good team like the Spurs, he will play great, and make the Delfino bashers here look stupid.

The very fact that the Spurs are intersted tells you that he is a good player.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#23 » by Zeno » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:58 am

I don't get why so many of you have a problem with Delfino. I think personally that he can be a reallly solid rotation player on a good team and perhaps more one day. Many young players have problems with shot selection and learn over time to pick their spots better. His defence and his rebounding for his position is solid, especially compared to who we have. He's a young player who finally got a chance to play some last year and in my mind proved he could. He'll be better this year than last whereever he plays.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#24 » by hsb » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:05 am

WaltFrazier wrote:If he goes to a good team like the Spurs, he will play great, and make the Delfino bashers here look stupid.

The very fact that the Spurs are intersted tells you that he is a good player.

Meh, there was a lot of that talk when he came here. Delfino is what he is, I wouldn't expect him to raise his game another level next year.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#25 » by SCF99 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:14 am

don't think he would be worse than what we will end up with,still probably has an upside,,as far as chucking goes how much more could a chucker chuck, if the chucker could chuck good...(don't know were that come from)..he seemed to actually seemed to back off a bit when he wasn't hitting, and probably won a few when he was on..
Respect
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Respect » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:47 am

boolean_law wrote:A good coach would be able to get him to drive consistently and stop shooting.
Chucking aside, he's a pretty decent player.

Papovich is just thay guy.
alysomji
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#27 » by alysomji » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:19 am

hsb wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Meh, there was a lot of that talk when he came here. Delfino is what he is, I wouldn't expect him to raise his game another level next year.

You'd be wrong. He hasn't played much in the league, actually. His season with the Raps was basically his rookie year. He's young enough to still get better and trust me, he's going to be a very solid SF / point forward in a couple of years.

It's true that the Spurs having interest in him is a good sign, if nothing else.
Kush
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#28 » by Kush » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:06 am

Delfino is way underrated by Raptor fans...
Calderoni_8
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#29 » by Calderoni_8 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:19 am

I think its going to be we wont realize what we have until its gone..i mean delfino barely got PT on the pistons and when given quality minutes he was pretty solid
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#30 » by HighOctane » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:22 am

Delfino wasn't given any consistent time by Mitchell, much like he was underused in Detroit and was very frustrated. He has much more potential and hopefully will get the opportunity elsewhere.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#31 » by Relentless88 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:31 am

Dangerously Dan wrote:I'm glad lots of several places are interested in him as opposed to lots of few places, or lots of no places.

:rofl:
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#32 » by cdel00 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:32 am

Delfino is a decent player. He puts forth the effort on defense and can handle the ball very well for a 2G. His shot selection is based on his view of his team mates if he is on the floor with guys that he is not confident in then he will chuck. He had his hot streaks too which emboldened him to chuck more.

However, when the players on the floor could chuck better than him he did pass. AP and Kapono were the main recipients. When on with Jose he would try a bit too hard and that hurt him and the team at times.

Overall on team with players clearly better than him Delfino makes an excellent "weak link" because he plays defense. On a team with players worse or as good as him Delfino makes a poor "spearhead" as his chucking can be too wild and his inconsistency will get magnified by increased quantity.

Delfino would be an excellent choice to start with Moon as his defensive effort will mean a fresh AP off the bench AND a fresh AP in the 4th quarter. On offense the start of the game should revolve around the stellar front court and that will limit Delfino's free ballin. His energy on defense should mesh well with O'Neal and his overall positional awareness will allow Moon to roam a little, "which will definately help Jose".

I like Delfino and see a little bit of Doug Christie in his game, it'll be a shame if he doesn't stick around.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#33 » by Buyaka » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:25 am

Delfino bashing is not warranted. he provides good value for his 2.7 Mil contract. We could use him.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#34 » by Alfred » Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:21 am

The Spurs offered him a contract? INCREDIBLE! This means that the horrible yoke of Delfino has been lifted off of the rest of our team, and they will be able to soar like birds over the competition!

His pre-game ritual of punching a small child in the face, his insatiable thirst for chocolate flavoured cereal, him filling his own water bottle up with amphetamines which caused him to take a team-killing 7 shots a game; none of it will be missed. Don't believe me? Look at the facts. Delfino was so hungry for shots, he played all 82 games last year. CASE CLOSED.

I have a better idea for next season, and his name is Stephon Marbury. He sells shoes to poor children and he's wacky! What could go wrong?
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#35 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:35 am

Alfred wrote:The Spurs offered him a contract? INCREDIBLE! This means that the horrible yoke of Delfino has been lifted off of the rest of our team, and they will be able to soar like birds over the competition!

His pre-game ritual of punching a small child in the face, his insatiable thirst for chocolate flavoured cereal, him filling his own water bottle up with amphetamines which caused him to take a team-killing 7 shots a game; none of it will be missed. Don't believe me? Look at the facts. Delfino was so hungry for shots, he played all 82 games last year. CASE CLOSED.

I have a better idea for next season, and his name is Stephon Marbury. He sells shoes to poor children and he's wacky! What could go wrong?

:eek1: We get it. You love Delfino. Now just breathe...
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#36 » by Spragga » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:14 pm

thats good that the spurs want him. Maybe Ginobili can teach him how to flop properly and use (Please Use More Appropriate Word) facial expressions after getting hit.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
metaldaze
Senior
And1: 0

Post#37 » by metaldaze » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:23 pm

You ever hear an agent say "we are not getting any offers" it's slow so you the agent make the "we are getting lots of offers" statement".
Nightmare on Bay ST a MLSE production starring Bryan Colangelo ,Mauricio Gherardini ,Andrea Bargnani and Vincenzo Esposito.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#38 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:43 pm

Everyone talks of Delfino chucking, but no one has mentioned how he was one of the very few players aggressively driving to the bucket. If Moon played with a fraction of Delfino's aggression and willingness to take contact we'd be set.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#39 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:52 pm

If the Spurs really did offer Delfino significantly more than the minimum then he'd better jump at it because they won't be able to offer it to him once Maggette signs with them for the MLE. I wouldn't be shocked if the Spurs have indicated to his agent that they might have interest in him but I don't think they'll offer him a contract unless Maggette and maybe even another option or two fall through. Carlos was alright last season, relative his contract and what the Raptors gave up to get him, but he wasn't anything special. It was his best season in the NBA and he still wasn't a particularly efficient scorer nor a very good defender (worst D-rating of his career, the Raptors were worse as a team defensively with him on the court and he definitely didn't shut down opposing wings). Add to that his absolutely maddening inconsistency and the fact that he would clearly lose focus when his game wasn't on and go from aggressively attacking and communicating with his teammates to just shrugging his shoulders and he isn't a major loss other than the fact that the Raptors happen to be thin at SG without him.

I don't think he's long for the NBA, personally, unless he's willing to continue sacrificing massive amounts of money in order to be an 8th-10th man in North America rather than a star in Europe. The only skill he really seems to excel at in the NBA is rebounding.
Bucket! Bucket!
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#40 » by Anticon » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:33 pm

It strikes me that a lot of people didn't actually watch Delfino last season.

He can occasionally take a bad shot, but he's not a team killer.

Return to Toronto Raptors