ImageImageImageImageImage

When is the New Raps Press Conference?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Joga_Bonito
Analyst
And1: 6

When is the New Raps Press Conference? 

Post#1 » by Joga_Bonito » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:37 am

Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure that it will be televise on Raptors TV. Im excited just to hear what they (Adams, Ukic and JO) will say about being a Raptor.

Edited: Title -Duke
BD12
Lead Assistant
And1: 132

Re: Press conference on Monday to introduce our new Raptors? 

Post#2 » by BD12 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:39 am

I thought the JO trade can't be made official until July 9th (Wednesday).
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#3 » by mappiah19 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:39 am

Tomorrow is not July 9th.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by 5DOM » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:49 am

i hope they release the summer league roster on wednesday too.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#5 » by evilRyu » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:51 am

so i guess we'll be hearing from both JO and Jawai on Wednesday?
shyn3
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#6 » by shyn3 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:52 am

Ford's BYC comes up tomorrow, so that means he could be traded tomorrow and not when the moratarium (?) period ends on July 9th.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#7 » by Zeno » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:52 am

It might not even happen til the 10th. I'm more interested in what BC has to say about potential for more moves than hearing from the new guys. This press conference will most likely spell the end of all the "MLE signing/trade for a third star/MLSE luxury tax paying" threads.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
akhtar_a03
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by akhtar_a03 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:51 am

Joga_Bonito wrote:Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure that it will be televise on Raptors TV. Im excited just to hear what they (Adams, Ukic and JO) will say about being a Raptor.

how did you figure it could be tomorrow? did you hear about it?
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#9 » by Troubadour » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:10 am

akhtar_a03 wrote:
Joga_Bonito wrote:Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure that it will be televise on Raptors TV. Im excited just to hear what they (Adams, Ukic and JO) will say about being a Raptor.

how did you figure it could be tomorrow? did you hear about it?

RJ is being introduced tomorrow. I get the logic, but I doubt it will happen until the 9th.
N1QUE24
Banned User
And1: 288

Post#10 » by N1QUE24 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:53 am

There might not even be a trade to be announced for all we know =)
JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#11 » by JL5 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:01 am

N1QUE24 wrote:There might not even be a trade to be announced for all we know =)

Gah! Don't say that! Now I'm all nervous...

Anyways, from what I hear, it looks like the press conferences won't be held until the 9th at the earliest. That being said, I'm definitely excited for them, eventhough my RapsTV free trial ended this month. Darn it...

What are the chances that that sweet-sounding 3rd jersey rumour is also confirmed that day? Can you imagine J.O. being introduced with the new jersey? I'd cry. Oh tears of happiness.
CrniZG4
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#12 » by CrniZG4 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:29 am

Just checked the digital cable info and the only thing it says that will be on is Classic NBA Basketball, Some WNBA, NBA Vault and Home Video. I also checked Raptors TV Broadcast Schedule online, but this weeks schedule has yet to be posted, so nothing official yet.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#13 » by tylrrr » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:35 am

The Guide is usually wrong when it comes to stuff like that. The last BC conference was listed as NBA Action or some garbage like that. Still, nothing is going to happen until the 9th.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#14 » by satyr9 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:40 am

I thought it would be the 9th, but if so why can Milwaukee introduce RJ tomorrow? The only difference I can imagine is Ford's BYC status (and that really can't be it) and our inclusion of a pick (that one didn't have one right?) Unless the wiretap thing is off, that makes no sense to me.
Demon
Junior
And1: 4

Post#15 » by Demon » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:09 am

satyr9 wrote:I thought it would be the 9th, but if so why can Milwaukee introduce RJ tomorrow? The only difference I can imagine is Ford's BYC status (and that really can't be it) and our inclusion of a pick (that one didn't have one right?) Unless the wiretap thing is off, that makes no sense to me.

That's exactly it. The deal involving RJ didn't have as many strings attached to it as the Raptors' deal did, which is why they have to wait until the 9th. The RJ deal happened on the day of the draft, so it was official at that very same time. I don't think the moratorium kicked in until after the draft was completed. Since T.J.'s BYC status expires during the moratorium, the Raps and Pacers both have to wait till it's over to make their announcements. I don't expect to see press conferences until possibly Thursday or Friday. I'm hoping it doesn't drag into next week.
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#16 » by asif9t9 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:45 am

I think RJ was upset about the trade and probably didn't agree to arrive in Milwaukee until now.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Re: When is the New Raps Press Conference? 

Post#17 » by Dr Octagon » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:49 am

I'm guessing it'll be Friday or Monday.

Trade has to go through League Office, physicals etc. I'll say Friday at earliest.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#18 » by satyr9 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:07 pm

Demon wrote:That's exactly it. The deal involving RJ didn't have as many strings attached to it as the Raptors' deal did, which is why they have to wait until the 9th. The RJ deal happened on the day of the draft, so it was official at that very same time. I don't think the moratorium kicked in until after the draft was completed. Since T.J.'s BYC status expires during the moratorium, the Raps and Pacers both have to wait till it's over to make their announcements. I don't expect to see press conferences until possibly Thursday or Friday. I'm hoping it doesn't drag into next week.

Thanks, that does make sense.

The more I think about it though, the more I've decided that this moratorium thing is a large mistake on the NBA's part. Every other league gets quite a bit of mileage out of the draft and beginning of free agency. It simply doesn't make any sense to force all the coverage about these deals when they happen to be obscured by "well, according to league rules I'm not allowed to comment on any potential deals, but I will say that [insert player just acquired here] is one heck of a ballplayer."

I don't know what the moratorium is supposed to accomplish, but whatever the goal is, it isn't working and only detracts from coverage of the sport, which can't be their goal.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,278

Post#19 » by Shaazzam » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:13 pm

The moratorium is when the league and NBAPA beancounters pout over the books from the previous year in order to establish the numbers for the new cap etc. It allows teams to make official moves with a clear understanding of what all the financial details, cap's etc are. Rather than blindly rush forward, such as the NHL does, with teams spending will-nilly with no idea what the actual hard numbers will be, it prefers to keep things a little neater and correct.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
The Iceman
Sophomore

Post#20 » by The Iceman » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:19 pm

Big week ahead for the lads and the various people who cover them.

Think we’ll get official word on Hassam Adams and his two-year, minimum-value deal today, believe it’ll be finally time to officially unveil Matt Devlin as the new play-by-play guy on Tuesday and then the big day with both Jermaine O’Neal and Jose allegedly coming to town on Wednesday to do all kinds of fun stuff, including speaking with us.

Busy, busy, busy.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2008/0 ... k-awa.html

The PC will be held on Wednesday.

Return to Toronto Raptors