ImageImageImageImageImage

What if Bird cancels JO trade?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bigjabroni
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Re: What if Bird cancels JO trade? 

Post#21 » by bigjabroni » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:59 pm

It's very unlikely. Since JO has been talking openly about coming to Toronto and being very excited about it, Bird canceling the trade would publicly destroy his relationship with O'Neal. He'd then essentially be in a position where he HAS to trade O'Neal before the season starts and that is a very tough spot for a GM to be in.
Roy's the best player I've played against outside this guy from my hood in Queensbridge, guy named Mike Chaplain. He went to jail when he was 15 years old. He was the best player I played against, now it's Brandon Roy.
beno
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#22 » by beno » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:21 pm

ok bird won't cancel since he has no intention of keeping tinsley. hes obviously needing ford.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#23 » by sh00n » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:23 pm

He could, but he won't. As said his reputation would go down the drain. Nobody wants to work with a liar.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#24 » by ponder276 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:31 pm

I really hope this deal somehow falls through. JO is probably finished, I'd much rather deal TJ for a healthier piece. With the total lack of PGs on the market (Duhon got the MLE!) I really think we could get solid value for TJ. TJ for Artest straight-up seems like a deal both teams would do, especially with Artest saying he regrets not opting out. Then deal Kapono for an expiring to a team that could use him properly, and we have a solid team of:
PG - Jose/Roko
SG - Parker/??? (Delfino? Tony Allen? Pietrus?)
SF - Artest/Moon
PF - Bosh/Hump
C - Rasho/Bargs/Hibbert (with Bargs to be dealt as soon as he gets his value up a bit)
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#25 » by zong » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:36 pm

then we'll take the Ford for Gerald Wallace deal, simple!

Hibbert-Bosh-Wallace-Kapono-Calderon
Fosgate55
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by Fosgate55 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:59 pm

I don't think he can without major leagle problems. I look at it in the same way as buying a house. You make an offer, the offer is accepted. As part of the conditions of the deal you ask that the house passes a home inspection and pending financing. This give you an out if you find something you don't like about the house, or can not get financing. Once you waive those conditions, you are bound to buy that house when the closing date comes. So what if you don't have the money, you said you did. You leave yourself to get sued pretty hard.

In this deal with Indiana, I imagine that they put the deal together agreed to the players, on condition that they passed their physicals. If they passed the deal closing date is July 9th. I would have to say that the players had their physicals and passed before draft night and the conditions waived. That being said, I think Bird's hands are tied. The deal is done and we are just waiting for the deal to close.
SilentH
Junior

Post#27 » by SilentH » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:02 pm

But the lineup of Jose-AP-Kap-Bosh-O'neil is better
PeaceNluv
Rookie

Post#28 » by PeaceNluv » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:05 pm

That's not gonna happen, I'm almost certain the players took their physicals the day before the draft. The results probably came back a while ago, therefore Bird probably would have cancelled it by now. He also would not want to destroy his reputation with other GMs around the league. Besides, breaking this deal would leave them worse off than us. We could easily still deal Ford, and Indiana would then be stuck with an angry JO, no PG, no Hibbert to make up for the fact that they would have to get rid of JO before the season started anyway. It would just not be ideal for them to cancel this trade. If anything, I think we would have more reason to cancel it then them.
formally known as VC4real
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#29 » by Test of Wills » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:22 pm

1. He will have a ruined reputation that will lead to other GM's not favoring his deals
2. He will be considered a "snake" by me
3. We will have a very good C in Hibbert and still have our 2 major assets to make another deal

The End.
fahkin
Junior

Post#30 » by fahkin » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:32 pm

Fosgate55 wrote:I don't think he can without major leagle problems...

I thought this was funny, not to be a grammar Nazi. I was confused at first when I read it as to whether you were talking about having league problems or legal problems - as either could make sense.

I never thought about it until I saw your post that the league could put pressure on the teams to complete a deal after it is public. You don't want to be on the outs with Stern and his team of monkeys as they could make life difficult.
Justina
Starter

Post#31 » by Justina » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:53 pm

Theoretically yes, but why would the players fail to pass physicals now? I thought the pending traded players should have had their physicals done a long time ago (near the time the deal was discussed), not 2 weeks later. And i believe TJ already had his physical so why would JO wait this long? Not to mention, JO already went as far as saying he was happy to be a raptor-something only a passed physical could verify!
"I'm here to win games, not to be the best player in the league." -Jose Calderon
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#32 » by The Duke » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:56 pm

He'd prolly be black-listed by other GM's, you cant deal with someone u cant trust.
He'd be stuck will a hugely mad JO, and not get 2/3 of what he got from the Raps
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#33 » by duppyy » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:10 pm

It will ruin Birds Rep. Hardly any other team will want to deal with pacers if they did. Its like disrespecting the other team cause they drafted somebody for you and maybe they didnt want to draft that person.
RapsGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#34 » by RapsGM » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:13 pm

I would not be very upset, because we would still have the best center in the draft. Plus we would still have rasho and TJ to make a deal for say G Wallace or Rip Hamilton. But I really do like JO and want him to come to Toronto.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#35 » by evilRyu » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:16 pm

BC would probably add BIrd on his Ignore List on their own "RealGM" message board
evilRyu
General Manager

Post#36 » by evilRyu » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:17 pm

zong wrote:then we'll take the Ford for Gerald Wallace deal, simple!

Hibbert-Bosh-Wallace-Kapono-Calderon

I highly doubt Charlotte would re-welcome the trade with welcome arms.. we'll seem pretty desperate, and the selling price of Ford would have gotten lower
Calderoni_8
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by Calderoni_8 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:42 pm

I could see him getting shot by a canadian sports fan in the near future is this happened..
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#38 » by Relentless88 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:44 pm

I don't think he will. If he was planning to, then he wouldn't have traded Jerryd Bayless.
ToffKobe
Banned User

Post#39 » by ToffKobe » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:50 pm

ponder276 wrote:I really hope this deal somehow falls through. JO is probably finished, I'd much rather deal TJ for a healthier piece. With the total lack of PGs on the market (Duhon got the MLE!) I really think we could get solid value for TJ. TJ for Artest straight-up seems like a deal both teams would do, especially with Artest saying he regrets not opting out. Then deal Kapono for an expiring to a team that could use him properly, and we have a solid team of:
PG - Jose/Roko
SG - Parker/??? (Delfino? Tony Allen? Pietrus?)
SF - Artest/Moon
PF - Bosh/Hump
C - Rasho/Bargs/Hibbert (with Bargs to be dealt as soon as he gets his value up a bit)

The Kings wouldn't and will not trade Artest for Ford. :roll:

Return to Toronto Raptors