ImageImageImageImageImage

You Want Some Wings With Those Fries Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bringbackoakley
Rookie
And1: 8

Re: You Want Some Wings With Those Fries Raptors 

Post#21 » by Bringbackoakley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Los Manos wrote:note to OP, just because you thought of a pun does not mean a new thread needs to be made to use it.

Oh and I also kinda agree with you, I am not as worried as many here. If our quality on the wings is lacking then BC can always make a move at the trade deadline.

This is the only problem I have with realgm posters, too many are quick to jump on someone else to make them look stupid for saying something silly or making a spelling mistake, for what gain?
In this case it caught up to Los Manos, hopefully this is a lesson to all you haters out there!
disc0
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#22 » by disc0 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:08 pm

TheMainEvent wrote:
disc0 wrote:Our board has more pessimistic posters than probably all of RealGM combined. No matter how good we are, we always think we're better than we really are.

That would be optimism... or sheer stupidity. But definitely not pessimism.

Bad choice of words on my part and an incomplete thought. Let me clarify:

Our board has more pessimistic posters than probably all of RealGM combined. No matter how good we are, we always think we're better than we really are. [B]AND when our players don't live up to OUR (the fans) expectations, everyone is ready for a fire sale, starting with firing the coach, then GM and then the players that stunk it up.

and i don't need to remind anyone of the huge controversy at the PG spot.
Raptors Dine Is Tea!
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#23 » by MrBojangelz71 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Start Kapono, Moon off the bench and spot minutes for Joey and we will be just fine at the 3 spot. One of them is bound to have a above average year with the extra room they will see.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#24 » by Vorticity » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:16 pm

what's with all this massive fails these days? lol :)
take a minute and read before you hit that reply button!
shyn3
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#25 » by shyn3 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 pm

It's on Raptors home page on Realgm.

I totally disagree, I think without an attacking Wing the Raptors will be one step ahead from this year, but a step away from the ECF at best. It might even be a first round exit.

I mean they have the inside presence, the 3 point shooting, the distributing guard, it's all coming together, but no1 on that team can make their own shot. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't CB4's game winners come from 15 ft out.

If the Raptors can grab a SG/SF who can drive in the ability to create shots will be perfect, no knock on AP/Kapono/Moon but they just can't drive in and create. They are good shooters, Moon shoots 48.5% from the field and 32.5% from the 3-point line, while Kapono hits 48.9% from the field including a 48.3% from the 3-point line, also Parker 47.6% from the field including a 43.8% clip from three, which is deadly, but without someone opening up the lanes it will be hard for them to keep those percentages up.

I mean Bosh/O'Neal will open the shots up, but driving to the hole will be important, and I just don't see anyone on the team being able to do it right now. Also if they can get a wing on a 2 year deal, they can easily rebuild when JO expires.

Ford Dressed, Kapono scores 7.5PPG
Ford Dressed, Moon scores 8.2PPG
Ford Dressed, Parker scores 13.2PPG

Ford not Dressed, Kapono scores 7.9PPG
Ford not Dressed, Moon scores 8.5PPG
Ford not Dressed, Parker scores 11.5PPG

It's a point per game in this breakdown, but also I can't factor in how many minutes the only slasher on the previous team was on the floor.

And I'm not trying to point out ford is better than Jose or anything like that, just saying that with a slasher (Kapono/Parker/Moon) would be more productive.
Champ Kind
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Champ Kind » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I agree, I think we will be just fine with the wings we have, as long as JO stays healthy, he really should make those wings better, allowing them more space to roam, and more wide open looks
WHAMMY!
rafer madness
Veteran
And1: 19

Post#27 » by rafer madness » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Birth of the Cool wrote:tease,

I thought this was going to be about Duff's Chicken Wings opening up at the ACC or something like that.

bah

My god that would be amazing... armagedon sauce!
TheMainEvent
Analyst
And1: 1,814

Post#28 » by TheMainEvent » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 pm

disc0 wrote:
TheMainEvent wrote:
disc0 wrote:Our board has more pessimistic posters than probably all of RealGM combined. No matter how good we are, we always think we're better than we really are.

That would be optimism... or sheer stupidity. But definitely not pessimism.

Bad choice of words on my part and an incomplete thought. Let me clarify:

Our board has more pessimistic posters than probably all of RealGM combined. No matter how good we are, we always think we're better than we really are. AND when our players don't live up to OUR (the fans) expectations, everyone is ready for a fire sale, starting with firing the coach, then GM and then the players that stunk it up.

and i don't need to remind anyone of the huge controversy at the PG spot.

Ahhhh, now I get what you meant. Gotta agree.
Good Lord, the little stoner's got a point.
TheMainEvent on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:03 pm wrote:I say the Raptors win the championship in 2019.
disc0
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by disc0 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Bringbackoakley wrote:
Los Manos wrote:note to OP, just because you thought of a pun does not mean a new thread needs to be made to use it.

Oh and I also kinda agree with you, I am not as worried as many here. If our quality on the wings is lacking then BC can always make a move at the trade deadline.

This is the only problem I have with realgm posters, too many are quick to jump on someone else to make them look stupid for saying something silly or making a spelling mistake, for what gain?
In this case it caught up to Los Manos, hopefully this is a lesson to all you haters out there!

That's part of posting online.

But to the defense of the board many posters were able to clearly point out the error of his ways. I didn't bother responding to his post, as it's obvious he either disregarded the opening line or just skimped through.

*edit* if posters were willing to apologize as quickly as they were to scorn, i think this board would have a little more respectability. But there are always **** starters and there's not much you can do about that. :dontknow:
Raptors Dine Is Tea!
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 424

Post#30 » by cdel00 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 pm

nice read and great points. But 1 note to the author 2 years ago we were happy with our wings because 3 years ago MoPete was Solid and we hel hope on Joey playing more good joey than bad joey
JL5
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by JL5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:01 am

Yeah. I think a decent performance from AP and Moon/Kapono is all we need for a strong season. I don't think we'll win the championship this year, but I think we'll have a good season.
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#32 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:05 am

The reason us as fans have a problem with the current makeup of our line up is because we still dont have a go-to guy who can create a bucket down the stretch.

I think our concerns are valid.

If our star PG (or one of our star bigs) was a guy who could create off the dribble I think it would make not having a star wing easier to swallow. But as is, we've been starved of somebody who can create off the bounce and drive in the lane since VC left.

TJ could do it a bit, but now even he's gone. Moon isnt the guy. Neither is Kapono, or Parker. It isnt Calderon's strength either.

Next year we will still have to run the same high screen and rolls, and hope the shooters in the corners are hot when they double. Which means we are still subject to the ups and downs of relying on the 3ball.

In the playoffs, you need creators!
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
MjM2xTreMe
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#33 » by MjM2xTreMe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:32 am

SHootaR wrote:
barrist wrote:Los Manos pulled a "The Main Event".

damn you, snuck that in b4 me.

ps. i contemplated putting 'the' in mine too but just don't sound right...think we need to exclude the 'the'...we all know who the cluprit was ha

could someone explain what 'the main event' is?

And yeah I frontcourt duo will make up with the slashing wing we need.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#34 » by barrist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 am

MjM2xTreMe wrote:
SHootaR wrote:
barrist wrote:Los Manos pulled a "The Main Event".

damn you, snuck that in b4 me.

ps. i contemplated putting 'the' in mine too but just don't sound right...think we need to exclude the 'the'...we all know who the cluprit was ha

could someone explain what 'the main event' is?

And yeah I frontcourt duo will make up with the slashing wing we need.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=825824
toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#35 » by toast » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 am

I think that there a couple of misconceptions about slashers on our team and the need for slashers.
1) We lack a slasher
Every team needs one person (possibly two) that if the other team decides to go man to man, they can give that person the ball and they will score or draw a foul on a consistent enough basis that the other team has to start doubling which opens up room for others. We have that person, his name is Chris Bosh. Particularly outside of this board, people misunderstand Bosh's game. He is the definition of a slashing big, (name me a better one). He uses his decent shot to keep the opposition honest, or occassionally when he is just tired. His bread and butter though is slashing from 10-15 ft from the right block. He has to be double from that position or he will score or be fouled. We also have a second person now in JO who can use his versatility of some post moves, a jump shot and a little driving to demand a double on most nights (though not to the same degree as Bosh and to be fair he is more of a jump shooter)
2) Driving only consists of having an amazing dribble and first step
As I hinted with Bosh there are two types of players. The type that has an amazing first step and needs a decent shot to keep teams honest, or the type that has an amazing shot and just needs enough driving skills to keep people honest. This is the sneaky drive, in which people will drive off of their shot or if a lane is open. We have several of those at our perimeter positions. Jose is the best example of this. He consistently gets to the bucket during a game but in the way I described. Parker, Bragnani, and even Kapono have this ability. Moon of course doesn't have either the shot or the drive to make this happen.

So we have people to be double teamed and we have people that can get to rack in a game. We just don't have it in a typical Wade or Kobe from the perimeter fashion. I think we will be surprised how effective we are next season.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#36 » by theSkinny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:53 am

rafer madness wrote:
Birth of the Cool wrote:tease,

I thought this was going to be about Duff's Chicken Wings opening up at the ACC or something like that.

bah

My god that would be amazing... armagedon sauce!

I know it is not quite the same....but a New Hoops is opening on Bremner about a two minute walk from the ACC... A gaurnteed Hoops friendly bar near the home court is A++
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#37 » by Rapsalot » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 am

I agree to some extent with the OP and the article if you want to win 41-49 games and go out in the first round maybe second round at best. But I thought the goal of all NBA teams is the contend for the title. I am not saying win it but contend. In order to do this you have to get at least to the ECF. This is why Detroit gets so much respect because although they have only one title they contend every year. Their GM is not saticfied and says they are in a 50-50 chance to make a major trade.

Three years ago we were coming from a bad team 27 wins one of the 5 worse teams in the east. Solid role players with reasonable contracts were brought in to right the ship, give a young team more experience and improve. We are at that level now. However, that means you need to get better from there not stay there! The Op an Author want to stay and a good team. The fans that want a change want to contend see the difference? Don't get me stated if AP gets hurt.

The fans that want us to contend also want to keep Chris Bosh a Raptor. If we do not get closer to the ECF in the next two years I see no reason for him to stay. He might like Toronto, the fans and the Great City but there are a number of Great City and Fans where NBA teams play.

One of the reasons BC wants Cap space in 2009 is to extend Chris and get someone else so we can Contend and keep Chris here. Just a good team will not get that done. The current level of wings will not get that done! We may not make a move this year but we will also not contend this year. JO has two years on this contract so it is either this year or next that we better get a Wing that can be better than just good.

Someone posted this a few weeks ago we have some of the weakest wings in the NBA. Most teams have one that is strong. Now I know we have an All-Star at PF and a former All-Star at the other PF who will play C. However, JO has to show he is an All-Star before you say we have two. Jose Played great last year when TJ went down but we will see how he does in 82 games and the focus of the other teams D attack. I think both Jose and JO are going to be very good but that only gets us in the same area with other teams in the east. Think about the stars on the other east teams.

Boston
Detroit
Orlando
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago if they sign Deng and Gordon
Philly

All of the above have at least on better all round wing than the Raps do.

Every team has a hole or two so fill the hole the best that you can don't just sit there and say well we have a hole let's go to lunch.
Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#38 » by Jay240 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 am

I thought the Article was a good read. I always wonder when people post these trade Bargs and AP + first round draft pick for [insert high profile NBA wing man here]. I mean BC made a huge trade already, we should at least let the 08-09 season play out, then decide what we need. Rome wasn't built in a day. The idea is to constantly make the team better year after year. Eventually the Raptors will be champs, just maybe not this year.
Neal04
Junior
And1: 5

Post#39 » by Neal04 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 am

I kind of agree with the article, lets use what we have and see where it gets us. Just like everyone else I would love to get that star wing player but it's not gonna happen unless we move Bargnani, (I still see potential) which isn't gonna happen. We should play out the 08/09 season and asses the situation at the trade deadline or this time next year and then decide what move is necessary to make this team better.

Boston had a weakness with mediocre point guard play throughout the whole season. All they did was do their job and play the game. The Celtics strengths covered up for their weaknesses. Hopefully the same can be said for the Raptors where 2 all-star bigs can make up for a lack of a superstar wing player.

Return to Toronto Raptors