ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Matt Devlin Critiquing Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

faze
Senior
And1: 56

Re: Official Matt Devlin Critiquing Thread 

Post#41 » by faze » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 am

I don't like Devlin at all. Really, the only good thing to me is the lack of gimmicks in the broadcast now. The "JK" thing really needs to go :evil:
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#42 » by J-Roc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 am

There was one thing this game I REALLY liked. One time when Bargnani was trying to post up, and Devlin, as part of his in-game play-by-play, he said, like a fan, "Make yourself big, Andrea, make yourself big."

It was like he was providing some analysis we haven't ever heard before. All we ever got with Chuck was his pro-Andrea babble. It was really, really refreshing.
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Post#43 » by blastttOFF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:30 am

J-Roc wrote:There was one thing this game I REALLY liked. One time when Bargnani was trying to post up, and Devlin, as part of his in-game play-by-play, he said, like a fan, "Make yourself big, Andrea, make yourself big."

It was like he was providing some analysis we haven't ever heard before. All we ever got with Chuck was his pro-Andrea babble. It was really, really refreshing.

QFT
Air Canada
RealGM
And1: 7,556

Post#44 » by Air Canada » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:31 am

Its weird watching a Raps game and not hearing Chuck but Devlin did a good job tonight.
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Re: new announcer: what's the verdict? 

Post#45 » by miruss2001 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:32 am

Solid... he lets the game to the talking and a game like tonight, there's nothing wrong with that.
ICEMANRC
Sixth Man
And1: 49

Post#46 » by ICEMANRC » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:33 am

The only complaint that I have at all is "JK".
When I hear "JK" I automatically think "Just Kidding"
I may technically be a "coach", but I have been around for years.
That Other Guy
Veteran
And1: 95

Post#47 » by That Other Guy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 am

He's aiight.
carsoni4
Senior
And1: 8

Post#48 » by carsoni4 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 am

This is what a professional announcer should do -- call the game, don't take it over. A problem with Chuck was that he became such a gimmick, he distracted viewers from the game. Leo was right to rip on him.

Devlin on the other hand, flowed well with Leo, and wasn't over-the-top or annoying. Most importantly, he didn't take away from the game -- for the majority of the last two seasons I would actually watch games on mute so I didn't have to listen to Chuck.

Devlin is a damn fine announcer, and I think those with criticisms of him are just nit-picking. He's only an announcer -- and he'll be fine.
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Re: Official Matt Devlin Critiquing Threat 

Post#49 » by JJWong17 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 am

Volcano wrote:he sounds fine for me...but I'm paying way more attention to the game than the announcers

I think that means he's doing his job then. And man, Leo was much better without Chuck egging him on. I guess it's sorta like when the two class clowns have to sit on opposite sides of the room as opposed to right next to each other.

I understand his Kapono love because they seem to be friends off the court but it's kinda distracting at times. Other than that, top notch stuff.
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,417

Post#50 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 am

This guy is like the perfect cross between Rod Black and Paul Romunek, but for some reason doesn't sound as brutal as they did.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
raptorsfan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#51 » by raptorsfan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 am

i thought i would hate him at first but now im getting used to him
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#52 » by MEDIC » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 am

Devlin & Leo > Chuck & Leo.

I didn't even think of the announcers during the game until I saw this thread (which is a good thing). I thought they did a bang up job. You can definitely tell that Leo enjoys working with a more professional announcer.

Chuck is a nice guy, but I am glad we got some fresh blood. New team with big expectations = the need for a professional announcer to go with it.

Good on ya boyz.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
night_day
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#53 » by night_day » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 am

He was decent, cannot stand the JK call
chyau.00
Starter
And1: 713

Post#54 » by chyau.00 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 am

i fell asleep during 3rd and 4th quarter today........................
gei
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#55 » by gei » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:49 am

He's terrible. Absolutely nothing compared to Chuck.

Then again anyone coming in would have had really big shoes to fill. Losing chuck is definitely a big dissapointment... the game just didn't seem as exciting at all.
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#56 » by Dogbert » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:54 am

Did he call Jose "Jose Senor?" That was his nickname for him?

Man, I miss Chuck. Imagine if this team was bad, there wouldn't be any entertainment at all.
Naboo-Anew
Analyst

Post#57 » by Naboo-Anew » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:00 am

I think Devlin was our best offseason pick-up other than Jermaine. Seriously. I'm so glad we'll never have to hear a "Salami and cheese" reference ever again. I appreciate what Chuck did during his time here, but his over-the-top style got really annoying.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#58 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 am

Devlin was a breath of fresh air because the play by play announcer is supposed to call it like he sees it and that's exactly what he does. Chuck was a carnival barker and become a parody of himself because he thought the fans tuned in to see him. He became god awful and such a shill for the Raps with the constant cheerleading. He was like abald version of Tommy Heinson(sp?).

He's seems to be much more knowledgeable than Chuck as there was one instance where the Raps were in a zone and the 76ers got an Off Rebound(one of many) from a missed shot and Leo started spewing about big men clogging the paint and then Matt pointed out it's more like rebounding by committee because of the nature of the zone defense. There was a pause then Leo agreed. There were a couple of other instances where he pointed out some key things which I didn't notice and I never got that with Chuck because he was too busy talking about Jack's drinking or Leo's failed career. After one game the guy's 10x better than Chuck. He's also not afraid to call Rap players out after stupid plays which Chuck wouldn't dare to do.

Speaking of Swirsky had anybody ever had a chance to hear a Bulls radio broadcast to see if he uses the same old lines he did here. After a few games it will be hard for him to resist the salami and cheese crap even though he swore he wouldn't use it.

There
Raptorsrock
RealGM
And1: 33

Post#59 » by Raptorsrock » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 am

I'm lovin the Devlin era.

I think Toronto as a basketball market has graduated to a play by play guy like Devlin. He lets you focus on the game without all the corny catch phases. He also doesn't get too excited or too down during the swings in the game like chuck did which makes watching the game a heck of a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

Also Devlin's style limits Leo from babbling on like he did with Chuck, which made Leo a pretty good analyst tonight :lol:

Unless you're a teenager or a casual basketball fan I don't see how you can not prefer Devlin over Chuck.

I give Devlin a solid 8/10 tonight. Good job
"I had no idea what the word 'contraction' meant before I saw it on the Internet." - LeBron James
booyah_child
Sixth Man
And1: 818

Post#60 » by booyah_child » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 am

I thought he did a really good job. He makes the broadcast sound a bit more "professional". I think it's because he keeps his commentary simple, much like the way the Raps played tonight.

EDIT: Should a poll be added to this thread so that we can all see how people viewed him tonight?

Return to Toronto Raptors