ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: At least we're not the Spurs!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jeebee4
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: PG: At least we're not the Spurs! 

Post#201 » by jeebee4 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:32 pm

People often talk about how it's not that we're lacking a 20 ppg wing, but that we're missing perimeter defense... isn't it the same thing in one? Since we don't have a good offensive wing player, none of our wings are practicing against defending good wing players! Thus, our defense will clearly suck since in practice, AP is guarding JK, not exactly a hard guard... Or Moon on Joey... Or Calderon on Ukic... yeah... it's easy to think you're doing well on the perimeter when that's who you have to guard in practice.
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#202 » by 08HEMI » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:36 pm

Ackshun wrote:i fell asleep in the 3rd quarter.

im a die hard raptor fan, but today just didnt cut it.

No doubt, last night was one the first time in five or six years where I was watching a game and was so disgusted I turned it off. When Bibby was being left open draining three after three and we were doubling nobodies downlow I felt like smashing my tv and burning my house down :lol:
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#203 » by T-Spot » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:43 pm

Calderon runs a great pick and roll offense with Bosh and does a good job of getting shooters open jump-shots. Are you saying that giving high % shooter's open shots is not creating an easy bucket? Sure, there will be games where the jump-shots won't fall [like this game], but to say that that's all Calderon's fault makes no sense. Calderon isn't getting people people easy shots under the basket because this team has as much slashing power as a spoon.
jsmith
Senior
And1: 9

Post#204 » by jsmith » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:44 pm

we have lost to two good teams, not shame there. detroit lost to new jersey, **** happens, lets nba
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#205 » by Hendrix » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:49 pm

I still maintain we are missing Stephen Jackson.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#206 » by EH15 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:07 pm

Last night was the first time I've seen Bosh that pissed in a while.
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#207 » by T.Duncan21 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:27 pm

The Spurs have injuries as an excuse to why they're losing... The Raptors couldn't be more healthy right now. They desperately need a SG/SF upgrade or otherwise games like today and this past wednesday will happen on a regular basis against the better teams.
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#208 » by underdog33 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:30 pm

Sik_Wit_It wrote:
chocolateSens1 wrote:
Sik_Wit_It wrote:You don't know that...and I don't know that...

Hoffa was drafted one spot before IGGY. It was the obvious safe pick. Athletic SG/SF, compared to a big stiff...who couldn't make a layup.

Little miss in your avy is cute as hell. Who might she be?

Couldn't tell you lol.. some chick.

Nicole Graves (NSFW)
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#209 » by Dennis P » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:54 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:I've been saying that for a while now, but that really doesn't matter because Calderon IS a very good shooter. You can't expect him to shoot well every game. The only think I like about Calderon's game is his shooting.

I have to say, i respect you guys. It takes giant cojones, truly oblivious ones, to claim that a guy who just got 12 assists in 36 mins and averages 10 a game along with over 16 points a game has no playmaking skills. If it is so darn easy to get 10 assists a game in the NBA, if it doesn't require even the tiniest bit of playmaking skills, THEN WHY DOESN'T EVERY STARTING POINT GUARD IN THE LEAGUE DO IT!!!? At least maintain such a per minute rate? It sure would help their bank accounts, after all.

When Jose picks up assists, you guys say it's because our shooters and Chris are making shots. When the shooters miss, it's because they can't create shots for themselves and it's a problem because our point guard certainly can't either, as he has no playmaking skills. So which is it? When they are making shots, who exactly is creating the shots? There is a fundamental disconnect in your logic.

I've never been to the general board. So if you haven't already, can either one of you please start a thread entitled, "Jose Calderon has no playmaking skills" and go on to make your case? We'll even ignore every Raptors fan, every Spanish poster, and listen to what everybody else has to say on the matter. Though if the past year has been any indication, an overwhelming majority and a load of statistical evidence against your arguments won't do much to change your minds.

I think its a little silly to say Jose isn't a playmaker. He is. he is also very timid and safe and those are probably the two worse attributes to have as a playmaker as well. If you look at the top PLAYMAKERS in the league you will see that their TO numbers are extremely high probably due to the fact they are big time risk takers.

I think the problem with Jose is when shots aren't falling from the perimeter or when they play us tight out there, he struggles creating easy shots for people. Jose runs systemic offense he is not a shot creator and when you have the most untalented 2-3's in the league you need someone who can get them easy looks with some dribble penetration. The thing about running systemic offense is team's can figure it out, granted, on a night to night basis in the NBA that won't happen but when teams can focus on what it is you do(in the playoffs) it has and will become a problem.

My definition of a playmaker, and please ring in with yours, is someone who can generate something on offense when the defense takes away what the offense is trying to run. Someone who can get something out of a broken play. A guy that can execute the offense even when the defense knows what to expect. Jose excels at pick and roll and shooting the ball I don't think I've seen him do anything else offensively that is outstanding. It just so happens that we run pick and roll or curls off of screens almost everytime down the floor. Thats where Jose gets his assist count but I don't think his assist numbers make him a prototypical playmaker.

Please define playmaker.
vinzanity
Banned User

Post#210 » by vinzanity » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:02 pm

E-H-1-5 wrote:Last night was the first time I've seen Bosh that pissed in a while.

Hopefully when he and the starters were sitting on the bench, he told the guys that this was unacceptable and this can't happen again.

This is the type of attitude that needs to be displayed by the team leader.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#211 » by Blazing_royale » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:06 pm

man, if we only drafted roy or rudy we would not have this problem at all. all these wing players that have developed into second fiddles and we draft bustnani over em. and than hoffa.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Black Milk
Lead Assistant
And1: 987

Post#212 » by Black Milk » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:50 pm

Dennis P wrote:I think its a little silly to say Jose isn't a playmaker. He is. he is also very timid and safe and those are probably the two worse attributes to have as a playmaker as well. If you look at the top PLAYMAKERS in the league you will see that their TO numbers are extremely high probably due to the fact they are big time risk takers.

I think the problem with Jose is when shots aren't falling from the perimeter or when they play us tight out there, he struggles creating easy shots for people. Jose runs systemic offense he is not a shot creator and when you have the most untalented 2-3's in the league you need someone who can get them easy looks with some dribble penetration. The thing about running systemic offense is team's can figure it out, granted, on a night to night basis in the NBA that won't happen but when teams can focus on what it is you do(in the playoffs) it has and will become a problem.

My definition of a playmaker, and please ring in with yours, is someone who can generate something on offense when the defense takes away what the offense is trying to run. Someone who can get something out of a broken play. A guy that can execute the offense even when the defense knows what to expect. Jose excels at pick and roll and shooting the ball I don't think I've seen him do anything else offensively that is outstanding. It just so happens that we run pick and roll or curls off of screens almost everytime down the floor. Thats where Jose gets his assist count but I don't think his assist numbers make him a prototypical playmaker.

Please define playmaker.

Thats basically it, when our offense stagnates Jose is unable to try something different to get it going.
omeloon
Starter

Post#213 » by omeloon » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:54 pm

T-Spot wrote:Calderon runs a great pick and roll offense with Bosh and does a good job of getting shooters open jump-shots. Are you saying that giving high % shooter's open shots is not creating an easy bucket? Sure, there will be games where the jump-shots won't fall [like this game], but to say that that's all Calderon's fault makes no sense. Calderon isn't getting people people easy shots under the basket because this team has as much slashing power as a spoon.

He's not really creating the easy buckets though. He's not pulling in defenders and then kicking it out to them. He's swinging it on the perimeter for those open shots. If we brought in Earl Watson we could probably expect the same looks on the perimeter. We wouldn't see as many assists or points as Calderon though because yes, Calderon is much better. But like the above poster said, when the offense does go stagnate, he doesn't really try anything different to get us easy looks - like he sometimes does on the perimeter with our shooters.

I'm not blaming it all on Calderon anyways. He makes our team better. Bosh makes our team better. JO makes our team better. But the three of them do have to do a better job moving the ball. If Bosh gets it, he's pretty much going to try to beat his man. If JO gets it, it's pretty much gone as well. The three have been doing a solid job thus far, but we need them to do more for our wing players and Bargnani if we hope to make up for our weak perimeter defense and lack of talent on the wings.
j3yuen
Rookie

Post#214 » by j3yuen » Sat Nov 8, 2008 7:18 pm

i wish we were the spurs...
i predict half way through the season duncan will suffer from a season ending "injury" they'll tank the season to get a lottery pick and dominate for the next decade. they've done it before with david robinson and duncan...
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#215 » by [SJJ] » Sat Nov 8, 2008 8:06 pm

j3yuen wrote:i wish we were the spurs...
i predict half way through the season duncan will suffer from a season ending "injury" they'll tank the season to get a lottery pick and dominate for the next decade. they've done it before with david robinson and duncan...

:lol:
If we do that we'd probably draft another Bargs
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#216 » by J Dilla » Sat Nov 8, 2008 8:41 pm

[SJJ] wrote:
j3yuen wrote:i wish we were the spurs...

:lol:
If we do that we'd probably draft another Bargs

With a lot of influnece from Maurizio.

Return to Toronto Raptors