ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't blame everything on Sam

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dogbert
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Don't blame everything on Sam 

Post#101 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:37 am

tha-prince wrote:
Dogbert wrote:
More revisionist history. That's all I'll say.

You still cant prove me wrong.

I didn't have to. You didn't argue anything. KO was a great defensive coach, but he sacrificed the offensive side of the game as a result of his commitment to D. That doesn't mean he's better than Sam Mitchell.
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#102 » by 08HEMI » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:38 am

Dogbert wrote:Awesome. He's not going anywhere.

Well you better hope this team makes it to the second round then or you'll be wrong again because Sam is gone.

Oh and I disagree with everything you said, im just not going to repeat myself anymore. Your probably like Doug Smith, you don't want him fired because he gives good quotes and is funny on tv. :roll:
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#103 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:39 am

Buyaka wrote:I think question should be; how many here believe that JVG or Lawrence Frank would produce better results with the same team than Smitch?

I think it would be more or less the same amount of wins. JVG isn't going to get Calderon, Parker, and Moon to suddenly start playing better one-on-one defense or get them to close on shots better. Those three are what they are.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,497

Post#104 » by ForeverTFC » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:40 am

Dogbert wrote:
tha-prince wrote:My friend you have lost it. Losing close games is because of bad luck? Close games is where set plays come in. Its where the coach gets to shine with the system he puts out there. Its where execution is the top priority.

It's much better to be losing a bunch of close games than losing in a series of blowouts. It means you have a better team. And yes, success in close games have a lot more to do with luck than in those blowouts, learn some basic statistics.

And he fianlly said it. IT MEANS YOU HAVE A BETTER TEAM. out of your own mouth. So there we go now that by your logic you have proven we had a good team because we were in so many close games, explain to me, using statistics, how you make your chances of scoring at the end better.

Well i guess we should take out the variables, that is the player talent. It ultimatly comes down to the play ran as the constant in this euqation. A better play has a better probabilty for the desired outcome. Now by your logic since we were in these close games because we were a good team. our virable TALENT, must be on the higher side. So out failiure to win these close games must come down to the set play put in motion by the coach, no?

your looking foolish man.....
Paperclip
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by Paperclip » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:41 am

Dogbert wrote:
aznAce wrote:
Dogbert wrote:

The Raptors lost a lot of close games last season. Their pythagorean record was actually better than the previous season. Sounds like something more to do with bad luck than bad coaching.

lol.

My suggestion is to read this, so you can get your head around what that means:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorea ... basketball

your always coming with assumptions. :lol:
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#106 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:42 am

08HEMI wrote:Well you better hope this team makes it to the second round then or you'll be wrong again because Sam is gone.

It doesn't really matter to me if Sam stays or goes. I think the effects of coaches are negligible.

Oh and I disagree with everything you said, im just not going to repeat myself anymore. Your probably like Doug Smith, you don't want him fired because he gives good quotes and is funny on tv. :roll:

Well I don't read Doug Smith (partly because he's a hack, and partly because I don't live in the country anymore), so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sam is pretty funny on TV, though.
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#107 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:43 am

aznAce wrote:your always coming with assumptions. :lol:

Am I?
08HEMI
Banned User

Post#108 » by 08HEMI » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:44 am

Dogbert wrote:
Buyaka wrote:I think question should be; how many here believe that JVG or Lawrence Frank would produce better results with the same team than Smitch?

I think it would be more or less the same amount of wins. JVG isn't going to get Calderon, Parker, and Moon to suddenly start playing better one-on-one defense or get them to close on shots better. Those three are what they are.

JVG would never send AP or Jose to double down low to help JO or Bosh guarding a guy 14 feet away from the basket leaving guys like Bibby wide open, and when I say wide open im talking about a bus length of space to do what he wants lol. Now if JVG was stupid enough to do this which he is not he certainly wouldn't repeatedly do it time and time again until that player scored 19 points by halftime.

Remember Kobe's 81 damn that was fun to LMAO. I remember it, that was when Sam refused to double him and just let him go off, its classic mitchell, double when you don't need to and don't double when you need to. He just has no clue how to adjust.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#109 » by Buyaka » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:45 am

Dogbert wrote:

I can tell you with confidence that JVG will draw better set plays with significant benefits to Kapono and Bargnani. Our whole team will benefit from having more than just 3 offensive plays. We will also see improved rotations...
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#110 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:46 am

I thought the only time Sam Mitchell was a competent coach overall was Game 6 of the playoffs against New Jersey. It seemed to disappear after that.
rapz**7**
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#111 » by rapz**7** » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:46 am

I think what's sad about the situation is that BC is trying to suit Sam's needs which is a recipe for disaster. Sam says "we want 100 shats a game!" BC says "okay I'll build a team around that.

Sam finds out that doesn't work and says "you built me a crappy team we need more defense" BC agrees and goes out and gets JO. Seams reasonable as Sam pretty much accuses all our problems on BC's draft pick with the same lines night in night out "we don't have the players who can rebound, we don't have the players who can block shots etc. etc"

Now it's "our wing players are not great at defending man to man" F***, its just one excuse after another with him. It's starting to get really tiresome. Do you job and coach with what you've got. Look at Golden State they don't have the size but do the coaching staff complain when they face bigger teams? no. They work with what they got and they try to use it to their advantage.

And how can I post a Sam bashing comment without including his favorite line "We just didn't make our shats" If I had a beer for every time he said that I'd be dead by now.
Basketball_Jones wrote:
_MidNight_ wrote:I'd like to think our young guys grew a little with this win tonight

Nah they're the same height
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#112 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:49 am

tha-prince wrote:And he fianlly said it. IT MEANS YOU HAVE A BETTER TEAM. out of your own mouth. So there we go now that by your logic you have proven we had a good team because we were in so many close games, explain to me, using statistics, how you make your chances of scoring at the end better.

Reading comprehension lessons are necessary for you, I think.

What I said was that LOSING in close games is better than LOSING in blowouts. LOSING in close games means you have a better team than if you were to consistently lose like the Raptors did tonight. And yes, the difference between winning and losing close games is quite small, a lot of it coming down to luck.

Well i guess we should take out the variables, that is the player talent. It ultimatly comes down to the play ran as the constant in this euqation. A better play has a better probabilty for the desired outcome. Now by your logic since we were in these close games because we were a good team. our virable TALENT, must be on the higher side. So out failiure to win these close games must come down to the set play put in motion by the coach, no?

It's my personal opinion that the Raptors lost a lot of close games last season because they didn't have a good enough guard that could create their own shot. TJ Ford was that for the Raptors in '06-07, but he clearly wasn't doing that last year. Often times, they just ended up giving the ball to their star Bosh, and he ended up doing a couple of crossovers before taking a jump shot, or they ended up doing a drive and kick with Calderon. With better talent (i.e. a scoring guard), Sam's last second play would be an easy one.
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#113 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:50 am

08HEMI wrote:[
Remember Kobe's 81 damn that was fun to LMAO. I remember it, that was when Sam refused to double him and just let him go off, its classic mitchell, double when you don't need to and don't double when you need to. He just has no clue how to adjust.

Sam doubled him, and even tripled him at a few points in the game. It didn't matter.
08HEMI
Banned User

Post#114 » by 08HEMI » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:50 am

rapz**7** wrote:I think what's sad about the situation is that BC is trying to suit Sam's needs which is a recipe for disaster. Sam says "we want 100 shats a game!" BC says "okay I'll build a team around that.

Sam finds out that doesn't work and says "you built me a crappy team we need more defense" BC agrees and goes out and gets JO. Seams reasonable as Sam pretty much accuses all our problems on BC's draft pick with the same lines night in night out "we don't have the players who can rebound, we don't have the players who can block shots etc. etc"

Now it's "our wing players are not great at defending man to man" F***, its just one excuse after another with him. It's starting to get really tiresome. Do you job and coach with what you've got. Look at Golden State they don't have the size but do the coaching staff complain when they face bigger teams? no. They work with what they got and they try to use it to their advantage.

And how can I post a Sam bashing comment without including his favorite line "We just didn't make our shats" If I had a beer for every time he said that I'd be dead by now.

:lol: I honestly don't know how he has lasted this long, if BC is at fault for anything it was keeping this guy around. reading through this thread and having his decisions and history rehashed is just like being slapped in the face, you wake up and relize just what has happened over the years with this guy.
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#115 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:51 am

Buyaka wrote:
Dogbert wrote:

I can tell you with confidence that JVG will draw better set plays with significant benefits to Kapono and Bargnani. Our whole team will benefit from having more than just 3 offensive plays. We will also see improved rotations...

You might be right. It's too bad this is something we can't know for sure.
08HEMI
Banned User

Post#116 » by 08HEMI » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:53 am

Dogbert wrote:

Sam doubled him, and even tripled him at a few points in the game. It didn't matter.

You obviously never watched that game, I had to buy a new tv the very next day and it wasn't because Kobe scored 81 being triple teamed son.
Dogbert
Banned User

Post#117 » by Dogbert » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:55 am

08HEMI wrote:
Dogbert wrote:

You obviously never watched that game, I had to buy a new tv the very next day and it wasn't because Kobe scored 81 being triple teamed son.

No, I suppose not.

:roll:
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#118 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:55 am

Someone said it best in this thread, I forget which page it was in. There has never been a time where I felt Sam Mitchell himself has won us a game. There are instances when a coach makes a change, draws up a play that puts them over the top to win a game. Nope, none. When we win close games, you see Mitchell jumping up and down with his players as if he was one of the players. Do you see Pop or Jackson doing this? No, they say "We haven't proved anything yet."
Buyaka
Assistant Coach

Post#119 » by Buyaka » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:55 am

rapz**7** wrote:I think what's sad about the situation is that BC is trying to suit Sam's needs which is a recipe for disaster. Sam says "we want 100 shats a game!" BC says "okay I'll build a team around that.

Holy crap...rapz7, you are on to something here. It is official. Smitch does have pics of BC in compromising positions...cause how else can you explain BC's tolerance of Smitch's bonehead rotations and playbook.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by Buyaka » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:59 am

I think it would be more or less the same amount of wins. JVG isn't going to get Calderon, Parker, and Moon to suddenly start playing better one-on-one defense or get them to close on shots better. Those three are what they are.[/quote]

I can tell you with confidence that JVG will draw better set plays with significant benefits to Kapono and Bargnani. Our whole team will benefit from having more than just 3 offensive plays. We will also see improved rotations...[/quote]
You might be right. It's too bad this is something we can't know for sure.[/quote]

...and... why can't we find this out for sure?

Return to Toronto Raptors